Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8561925 03/22/22 01:16 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
My wife and I both work from home so the a/c stays at a comfortable temperature. Even in August - September we got close to 2000kwh but never hit it. We also have to fridges, deep freezer, and electric dryer. The other major appliances are gas.

[Linked Image]

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8561928 03/22/22 01:20 PM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Have them change your meter. Sounds way high for what you have.

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8561932 03/22/22 01:23 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jason B
[Linked Image]

You're tripling your usage on cold snaps so makes me think you have electric heat or you have a heat pump that isn't coming on and your heat strips are doing all the work

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8561934 03/22/22 01:26 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
I wish my electricity usage looked like some of y'alls. Your peaks are my lows, but then again that's the joy of having 4 refrigerators, a dedicated standing freezer, pool, and kids who think electricity is free

[Linked Image]

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: TLew] #8561941 03/22/22 01:31 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TLew
[Linked Image]

You're tripling your usage on cold snaps so makes me think you have electric heat or you have a heat pump that isn't coming on and your heat strips are doing all the work

Yes, electric heater. Not a heat pump.

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8561947 03/22/22 01:46 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
[Linked Image]

Bingo then, I assume you had gas heater. Why would they put a electric heater on a house plumbed for gas, that is quite odd.

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Stevarino] #8561954 03/22/22 01:50 PM
Pootie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Stevarino
Interesting that March is one of your highest months. Whether your heater is gas or electric, I would expect that to be one of your lowest months

March bill for Feb usage??

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8561962 03/22/22 01:59 PM
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Did you buy this home new? Looks like the strip heat is at least a part of your high usage.
Couple things I would look at.

Foamed roofs are to be sealed, air tight. Do you have any vents or voids in foam. Go up in dark attic on a sunny day. If you can see daylight, you may have a problem. Foamed attics are part of the conditioned space. Homeowner indirectly heats and cools attic because there is no ceiling insulation. So if attic has vents or air leaks, it is like an open window in living area.

You also may have a air handler heat kit checked. Is it oversized? Is the blower run time staged properly. Do all the strips stage properly and shut completely off when no call for heat.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: RedRanger] #8561967 03/22/22 02:05 PM
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by RedRanger
[Linked Image]

Bingo then, I assume you had gas heater. Why would they put a electric heater on a house plumbed for gas, that is quite odd.

Some people are afraid to have gas appliance in sealed attics. And, sealed attics reguire gas furnance with positive combustion air and flue vent. These can add significant cost to iproject.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8561978 03/22/22 02:19 PM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My 3 year old house is foam sealed tight and with 2 central air 4 ton AC/Propane heat units.. They had to add vent in side of exterior wall for positive air circulation. 2 Story with 10 foot ceiling and a 30 foot high ceiling in living room area. Mine ran 780 kw last month and never gets over 1750 kw in the summer months. Have an RV barn and 40 foot camper stays plugged in with all goodies fired up. Never have seen a bill over $150 smackers. We are on a 8.5 cent kw co op Electric Company. C Tec.

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8561988 03/22/22 02:36 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Lazyjack
Originally Posted by RedRanger
[quote=Jason B]

Some people are afraid to have gas appliance in sealed attics. And, sealed attics reguire gas furnance with positive combustion air and flue vent. These can add significant cost to iproject.

Interesting, Then I would of put in furnace in it own area non sealed in the attic. Me I love me some gas appliances, heck I even tapped into my gas lines and converted my dryer to gas and put an outlet in the garage in case I wanted to run a small gas heater in the garage in the winter or if I have a winter time party in the garage.

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8561996 03/22/22 02:49 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
[Linked Image]

This is more than likely your issue. HVAC has changed dramatically in the last few years. Efficiency is the main goal now. If you plan on staying there awhile, a system changeout may be a great option.

All of the homes I build that are not gas have a 16 SEER Two stage heat pump system with a matched variable speed fan coil standard. Never had a customer complaint on electric usage.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Lazyjack] #8562003 03/22/22 03:02 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Did you buy this home new? Looks like the strip heat is at least a part of your high usage.
Couple things I would look at. - I built the house 6 years ago. How do I know if i have "strip" heat? I know I do not have a heat pump

Foamed roofs are to be sealed, air tight. Do you have any vents or voids in foam. Go up in dark attic on a sunny day. If you can see daylight, you may have a problem. Foamed attics are part of the conditioned space. Homeowner indirectly heats and cools attic because there is no ceiling insulation. So if attic has vents or air leaks, it is like an open window in living area.

You also may have a air handler heat kit checked. Is it oversized? Is the blower run time staged properly. Do all the strips stage properly and shut completely off when no call for heat.

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8562009 03/22/22 03:18 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
The United Coop has slowly been going up every month for over a year. It has just been more noticeable the past few months with high usage from the cold weather. We are all the frog in a pot of boiling water. It just got hot enough for anyone to notice.

[Linked Image]

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8562021 03/22/22 03:36 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I am intrigued to see what mine will be over the summer. Our new windows arrived yesterday at the contractor and are to be installed by mid-April, then we are sprayfoaming the attic by the end of the month.

That being said, we have a 2,000 SF single story home and our electric usage in the winter is over 2,800 kWh. Over the last two years, our summer usage has not exceeded 2,200 to keep the house cool.

I am thinking our heat pump may be in trouble?

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8562032 03/22/22 03:46 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Hey everyone. I am so tired of high electric bills. I am struggling to figure out where it is all going.

My bill is constantly higher than anyone I know. Here are the deets:
- 2400 sq. ft / 3 bed 2 bath
- 2 Adults / 0 kids
- 6 Year Old Construction
- Foam Roof / Damp Spray Cellulose walls
- 9' ceilings
- Winter house temp is 70 when I am home at day, 67 at night
- Summer house temp is 71 (ac never comes on during day), 67 at night
- Stovetop Gas
- Water heater is tankless gas unit

I can't fathom how I am using so much electricity. Look at the below graph. It is insane. Last month I used 2400 kwh somehow.

We don't watch tv, lights are kept to a minimum, we don't stand with the fridge door open all day. I just don't get it.

for a start

install ceiling fans in all rooms, keep them running all the time
downward for summer
upward for winter

Keep AC at 78F
Keep Heat at 68F

Cold air sinks to the bottom, have small squirrel cage type of fan to blow that cold
air around the rooms, house etc ...

wife's hair dryer
clothes dryer
and leaky windows are probably culprits
caulk all windows, install black mesh screen on sun facing side
reseal all door sweepers

do the above and your bill will go down 25-30%

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8562045 03/22/22 04:00 PM
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Couple things I would look at. - I built the house 6 years ago. How do I know if i have "strip" heat? I know I do not have a heat pump

If you do not have gas heat, you have strip heat with or with out heat pump. Stip heat is also resistive heat.Strip heat is like old electric space heaters. Another example of resistive heat is the cooking element on a cook stove.

A long shot, but, check to insure outdoor unit is not running during heat. If it is running, is the air discharge warmer or cooler than outdoor air.

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8562046 03/22/22 04:01 PM
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

If you do not have gas heat, you have strip heat with or with out heat pump. Stip heat is also resistive heat.Strip heat is like old electric space heaters. Another example of resistive heat is the cooking element on a cook stove.

A long shot, but, check to insure outdoor unit is not running during heat. If it is running, is the air discharge warmer or cooler than outdoor air.

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Lazyjack] #8562067 03/22/22 04:29 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

I can tell this mans knows the HVAC business by his posts. Follow his advice. JMO. Good Luck Sir

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Lazyjack] #8562159 03/22/22 06:15 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J

Why dont you just come to the house, drink a beer and look things over for me :-)

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: cabosandinh] #8562165 03/22/22 06:20 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by cabosandinh
Hey everyone. I am so tired of high electric bills. I am struggling to figure out where it is all going.

My bill is constantly higher than anyone I know. Here are the deets:
- 2400 sq. ft / 3 bed 2 bath
- 2 Adults / 0 kids
- 6 Year Old Construction
- Foam Roof / Damp Spray Cellulose walls
- 9' ceilings
- Winter house temp is 70 when I am home at day, 67 at night
- Summer house temp is 71 (ac never comes on during day), 67 at night
- Stovetop Gas
- Water heater is tankless gas unit

I can't fathom how I am using so much electricity. Look at the below graph. It is insane. Last month I used 2400 kwh somehow.

We don't watch tv, lights are kept to a minimum, we don't stand with the fridge door open all day. I just don't get it.

for a start

install ceiling fans in all rooms, keep them running all the time
downward for summer
upward for winter

Keep AC at 78F
Keep Heat at 68F

Cold air sinks to the bottom, have small squirrel cage type of fan to blow that cold
air around the rooms, house etc ...

wife's hair dryer
clothes dryer
and leaky windows are probably culprits
caulk all windows, install black mesh screen on sun facing side
reseal all door sweepers

do the above and your bill will go down 25-30%

Small Squirrel cage type of fan to blow that cold air around? Really?

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Jason B] #8562297 03/22/22 09:43 PM
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

Why dont you just come to the house, drink a beer and look things over for me :-) [/quote]

Wished I could.

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Lazyjack] #8562348 03/22/22 10:38 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Why dont you just come to the house, drink a beer and look things over for me :-)

Wished I could.
[/quote]

Bring a squirrel fan with you

Re: Home Electric Usage [Re: Lazyjack] #8562360 03/22/22 10:55 PM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

thats very possible if you tstat is set up wrong or the air handler low volt is wired wrong. maybe they ran a 6 or 8 conductor lv wire for the system and it got wired inside for hp, that would turn on compressor in heat mode. mite be a stuck heat element relay also. you need to have a competent hvac company check these possibilities good luck and maybe consider gas central heat.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide