Print Thread
South Llano River State Park season closing #8512610 01/25/22 12:37 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I think the Hunt I won down there is the last EXO only Hunt of this season, as Jan 31'st is my start date & Feb 3rd is my last day. I'm not getting any feed back from guys who've been on property the last week 10 days or so. I had no problem finding a low end motel room either. So the ? is has any body on THF hunted the Park since Christmas & if so please give a report on your success or lack there of.

I had put in for the last 3 Hunt's in the Lottery and won only the very last one listed...story of my life come to think of it. Turn Out the Light's...the Party's Over is my middle name. Or....Just Mebbe I'll have the place ALL to myself and score a 18 wheeler sized herd...most likely though I'll get skunked totally by the Super PHD educated & wised up critters...if there are any left.
I'll be back late next week ...mebbe. Sweeeet Jesus I love the Hill Country and miss travelling down there.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 01/25/22 12:40 AM. Reason: clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8512685 01/25/22 01:17 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Have you looked at the previous years harvest statistics for this hunt. The links to each year's pdf file should be available on the TPWD website somewhere in the drawn hunts section. You might find the harvest was just as good on the last hunts each year as it was on the first hunt of each year.

Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8512705 01/25/22 01:32 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8512901 01/25/22 07:08 AM
B
Bownhead Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I was there last year on a hunt and took 2 axis does from blind # 7. I was only one that got multiple axis . If you can, camp out there, its a beautiful park and is worth going to camp out and enjoy all on its own. .

Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8512925 01/25/22 11:55 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
My only experience hunting SLRSP was over 20 years ago, and it's taken 21 years of app's submitted in trying to get drawn for this hunt again. At that time I was the only hunter to score on an axis. White tails were allowed at that time, and several WT's were taken. Yesterday I reserved a room in town, 'cause at a little past 77 I'm too old to camp alone. Yes it's beautiful Park and the adventure so many years ago still is fresh in my memory, so I hope to recreate that history next week. I just can't do the "No mountain too tall & Valley too low" thingy any more. But I am bringing enough ammo to start & finish a small war on hogs... up
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 01/25/22 11:57 AM. Reason: clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8513152 01/25/22 04:06 PM
cbump Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Hey Wiley, are you excited about the hunt? I can’t tell grin

Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8513806 01/26/22 04:35 AM
G
gettinbirdie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Wily- I’ll be on that hunt too, my brother and I will be camping there. A white dodge pulling a cargo trailer with an rv a/c unit on the roof. Holler if you need help with anything!

Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8515400 01/27/22 10:56 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Excited naw I ain't excited yet ...when I finally get on property THEN I'll get excited and hope to be able to shoot straight at sumthin ... anything... that wanders thru the field of view in the scope. Lemme put an Axis down ...and THEN I'll get excited...and I then I will be able to relax and enjoy what has taken so long to achieve.

Remember it took me 21 app's at SLRSP alone to get drawn again at SLRSP and I'm still a little hesitant to get too excited and do sumthin stupid...like have a medical issue by not controlling my BP....or fall down and break sumthing... at 77 years old I don't "heal" anymore I just make do and pop a pill for the pain.

GB...look for a semi dirty Burgundy F150 Supercrew...I'm staying at the EconoLodge in town. I am toooo old to camp out anymore ..I take 11 meds a day...& half of them twice a day The EL is my idea camping out when I'm not staying in a 3 or 4 star place. Old habits die hard...and I spent 300, 400K or mebbe more miles on the road as an outside Consumer Goods Rep over a 40++ year history.

True Story... One year Holiday Inn offered a free trip & airfare any where in the world for 2 people one year if you stayed in 100+ locations in the 12 month 's the deal was set for ..it took me less than 6 months to hit the deal. I made my pocket money in Up & Down Airlines aka SWEST Airlines 10 flight bonus free tickets that I could sell for $ 2-300 every 30-60 days and had a travel agent in NYC who'd also get me playing the Hidden City thing. and lower my monthly Air Fare overhead by more than 50%. AMEX loved that.

So we stayed in London on HI for the 10 days and ran around London & Windsor Castle like we owned the place, Nokia paid for another 5 days in London to matchup with their Annual Meeting and the toured the Plant. Then we stayed at a ski resort and got prepped and hunted moose for another 10 days ...my wife and another guys wife caught a cab to the train station couple times and went to Helsinki shopping while the guys went moose hunting ...I'll bring some pics. I slept all the way from Helsinki to Orly in Paris on FinnAir, changed planes for the leg to Heathrow and slept most of the way nonstop to DFW.. now THAT was FUN for sure and YES I got excited as things happened. Oh...FYI Never try to out drink Scot's Whisky with an Aussie, Canadian or Scotsman...been there .
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 01/27/22 11:00 PM. Reason: clarity

Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8515499 01/28/22 01:44 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
You guys keep us posted on your hunts. Good luck!

Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8517796 01/31/22 02:39 AM
G
gettinbirdie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I arrived this evening. Got camp set up and went for a drive. I saw wt, hogs and 1 axis in the park. The weather isn’t going to be great but we have some cold air arriving Wednesday night. I’m ready to get the show on the road!

Re: South Llano River State Park season closing [Re: WileyCoyote] #8518306 01/31/22 06:47 PM
G
gettinbirdie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
It was a pleasure meeting you this morning at orientation Ron! Good luck on your hunt! I drew second pick- I’m in behind camp near the acorn blind.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide