Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509709 01/21/22 02:45 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Moral of the story…yes that’s an effective round. Buy a bunch and have fun hunting 🤘

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Ol Thumper] #8509734 01/21/22 03:02 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
My dad started loading BT’s in our guns in 1886 and Ive killed something or many somethings every year since. There great bullets for their intended purpose, the only issue Ive ever ran into was I loaded some in a RUM and they blew up on contact twice before I realized what was happening but that was user error back when I wasn’t smart rofl For the record, I’m still not to smart most days rofl

You learned the hard way like I did. The key to Ballistic Tips and just about any cup and core bullet is impact velocity. With impact velocities at or above 3000fps these bullets will let you down. They simply are not built for that kind of impact velocity. I like to keep impact velocities below 2800-2900fps if using Ballistic Tips or cup and cores. Anything faster than that I go with a Partition type bullet or bonded bullet.

Ballistic Tips are a tool developed mostly for longer range shooting. Use that tool correctly and it will serve you well. Ask it to do more than what it was designed to do and you are going to get burned.

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad like the last time this topic came up, keep in mind the velocities I listed are IMPACT velocities, NOT MUZZLE velocities. I am actually a fan of cup and cores and Ballistic Tips, you just have to know its limitations.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509766 01/21/22 03:34 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ya think Old Thumper has really been using them since 1886?

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: 603Country] #8509790 01/21/22 03:55 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by 603Country

Ballistic Tip was introduced in the mid to late 1980's (I think 1984). So Im sure he meant 1986.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: BigDad] #8509803 01/21/22 04:03 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BigDad
The 165 gr Nosler BT is my favorite hunting and accuracy bullet in 308 WIN and 30-06. Between me, my son and my hunting buddy we've killed a couple hundred pigs and deer with these bullets and they are hammers. They don't always exit but the do always expand. They do damage meat but no more that any other soft point expanding bullet. As with all hunting, shot placement is the key. I shoot pigs in the head, neck and front of shoulder and almost always DRT. For deer I shoot just behind the shoulder and don't lose much meat. Trophy deer I shoot through the shoulder, high shoulder, as I don't want to lose them in the thick East TX jungle we hunt.

Only problem is you just can't buy them now. I'm down to a couple hundred that won't last long between the 3 of us. I bought some 168 A-Max bullets hoping they will give similar performance, we'll see.

I wasn't going to chime in, but I guess I will. While BTs aren't my favorite (Nosler Partitions are), they are a close second. Both the branded BT and the Trophy Tip are fantastic rounds that I will buy in a heartbeat for my 308 and 30-06. I prefer partitions and BT/TTs in a heavier 180gr loading though since that's what my guns like, plus it keeps impact velocity down a little

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509839 01/21/22 04:21 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
You are pretty much required by law to hunt with expanding bullets almost everywhere. A soft point in any common deer cartridge will get it done, and I would not think too much on it. Worry more about shot placement and use expanding bullets, ie any soft point bullet in a common deer cartridge

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509840 01/21/22 04:22 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Serious question. What makes one choose the partition vs the accubond? The nosler website says there’s almost no performance difference.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: cbump] #8509846 01/21/22 04:27 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cbump
Serious question. What makes one choose the partition vs the accubond? The nosler website says there’s almost no performance difference.

At the risk of assumption that it was aimed at me, I choose the partition because of comfort level and past experience. There may be no difference, but I trust the partition because of what I have seen it do

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: TLew] #8509873 01/21/22 04:48 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by TLew

At the risk of assumption that it was aimed at me, I choose the partition because of comfort level and past experience. There may be no difference, but I trust the partition because of what I have seen it do

That's a legit reason for sure. Partitions have been the gold standard of hunting bullet performance for 60 years now, and they are never a bad choice. I've killed loads of game with partitions and AB's, and have seen little difference in performance.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: TLew] #8509876 01/21/22 04:49 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

It wasn’t aimed at you. All I shot was partitions when I had a 257 wby. Now everyone is shooting accubonds. So I was just curious.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: cbump] #8509877 01/21/22 04:51 PM
S
Southtexas36 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S

The partition was out at the same time as the ballistic tip and yes I would agree that performance on game is the same as an Accubond. I also shot BT's at the time they came out and have heard all of the stories, personally I never had a problem with them.

Next came the accubond, on the outside it looked like a BT but performed like a partition, but had the plastic tip. I have no proof and have never heard anything along these lines, but with the bad rap the BT's got, I think the Accubond was somewhat of a marketing attempt to introduce something that would get away from the BT stigma.

What nosler really needs to do is figure out how to get production up on all of these lines before they permanently lose their following to Hornady and whoever else.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509883 01/21/22 04:56 PM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Obviously lots of replies to this post already but I have used Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 270WSM and 7mm-.08 for many years. Yes if I shoot shoulder shots, there is damage to meat on the exit side but 99% of all animals I have shot with these have dropped in their tracks. My only problem is that they have been almost impossible to find for the last few years.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509898 01/21/22 05:19 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
First of all, Im not as smart on this stuff as many on here. From what I do know, I agree with those that say the "high" velocity at impact can cause issues. I guess 308 velocities would be fine, but why take the chance. Just go with partition or accubond and I dont think many would argue the performance will be great.
I loved the question about difference in partition and accubond cause I have wondered the same thing. I have used partitions for decades and thats why I stay with them but I would assume accubond would do the same if I had to switch.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509902 01/21/22 05:28 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The Ballistic Tips, per Nosler, have a max recommended MV of 3200 fps. I sent them out of my 270 at approx 3000, and about 2800 from the 260. Going on memory, I think the Accubond and Partition have an Unlimited max MV.

That said, I know two guys that do, or did, shoot the 125 gr BT in their 30-378, and loaded hot. They mule deer and elk hunt with that load. I wouldn’t…

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: cbump] #8509907 01/21/22 05:33 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

It wasn’t aimed at you. All I shot was partitions when I had a 257 wby. Now everyone is shooting accubonds. So I was just curious.

I choose accubond for the same reason TLEW chose partitions. I bought some accubonds in probably the late 90's. I was very happy with the performance of them, so I never switched...until this year. Couldn't find any accubond, so I bought some BT (Couldn't find partitions either). I haven’t loaded the BT yet because I still have about 35 loaded rounds of the accubonds, but I will eventually.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509912 01/21/22 05:38 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Mindrop, first of all not all 'ballistic tip' bullet designs are the same - it's the jacket thickness design, and whether it's further improved by being crimped or better yet 'bonded', that makes a good med-size hunting bullet.
It's using 'thin jacketed' target-ammo ballistic tip ammo (V-Max) on a large buck or hog shoulder shot that can be an issue,
but several mfgr's make fine premium bonded ballistic tip rounds that are superior for all conditions.

That said, I've taken doe with close neckshots using V-Max rounds that I keep loaded in my 2nd rifle in the stand for in case coyotes show up (which they have and I've whacked them too!),
but these days my main rifle is loaded with premium bonded bt rounds in case that monster buck comes running across the field in the distance not getting close to the feeder. wink

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509913 01/21/22 05:38 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I just don’t understand why you would lean toward partitions for whitetail deer. Can you even find partitions? I know some of y’all have some saved up for a rainy day or a anti-gun president but I have not had any luck searching for partitions. I did find some good Barnes TSX 180 grains for my 30-06, I guess that will work lol. But that’s for an elk hunt.

We’re talking about whitetails and who is going to send a new hunter on the search for partitions and accubonds that are pricey and hard to find? But you guys know any standard soft point bullet in a standard deer cartridge will work very well.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509927 01/21/22 05:54 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
it's 50/50

some will go straight through with no expansion
some will create massive wound channel

Partition is the best choice for hunting

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509937 01/21/22 05:59 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
These days it’s more in line with what Bryan H just said about avails of Partitions. Good luck finding them. Unless someone has a stock of them, you buy what’s available. My neighbor was able to get some 129 gr Hornady interlocks for his 6.5 CM.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Mindrop] #8509952 01/21/22 06:16 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
The last partitions I saw were at Runnings in some small town in South Dakota. Let me tell you, I get around too. I shop for ammo across 20 states lol.

I left them on the shelf because I had already spent some $60 a box on 2 boxes of Barnes TSX 180’s and by God that’s what I am gonna use!

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8509986 01/21/22 06:47 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
The last partitions I saw were at Runnings in some small town in South Dakota. Let me tell you, I get around too. I shop for ammo across 20 states lol.

I left them on the shelf because I had already spent some $60 a box on 2 boxes of Barnes TSX 180’s and by God that’s what I am gonna use!

I just bought 5 boxes of my favorite P308Es yesterday. There are 2 boxes left at $44.99 -- reach out to me if you want em and I'll point you in the right direction

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: Jgraider] #8509991 01/21/22 06:52 PM
M
Mindrop Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted by stxranchman
All of the does in Utah and New Mexico would be almost all mule deer, way bigger than most whitetails. Colorado has both mule deer and whitetail...midwest whitetails does are bigger than most Texas does. Exception would be up in the panhandle area of Texas and South Texas. Hill Country, Gulf Coast region, Central Texas and parts of West Texas would have the smallest does in Texas. 200-250 lb live weight bucks in Panhandle and South Texas are very common with some bucks weighing more than that in really wet years. Not 300 lb deer but not small either. San Antonio is not South Texas and if you drove down IH-10 to SA, then you drove through the western Hill Country and Central Texas Hill Country areas with some of the smallest deer in the state, it will be the highest density in the state but smallest deer with the exception of the coastal prairies whitetails which are also smaller.

Why we nit picking deer size? Is this a deer size thread or a ballistic tip performance thread?

Originally Posted by stxranchman

Both. He made the statements....not me. I commented on those statements in red. Most hunters from out-of-state think anything south of the Red River is South Texas.

I'm not picking on the size of deer. I know that size, weight, density, etc. directly impact how a bullet reacts and shooting a 308 Win, while it will easily get the job done on a very wide range of animals, having the right weight bullet for the job is key. I wouldn't take 180 grain ammo out to hunt deer and in reverse, I also wouldn't take 150 grain ammo out to take on an elk. I also wouldn't take anything but tipped ammo to take out an elk, but deer and elk are very different and deer vary widely in size, so I was wondering about the smaller deer and performance of "ballistic tips", specifically if they did what my friend's father claims.

Originally Posted by BigDad
The 165 gr Nosler BT is my favorite hunting and accuracy bullet in 308 WIN and 30-06. Between me, my son and my hunting buddy we've killed a couple hundred pigs and deer with these bullets and they are hammers. They don't always exit but the do always expand. They do damage meat but no more that any other soft point expanding bullet. As with all hunting, shot placement is the key. I shoot pigs in the head, neck and front of shoulder and almost always DRT. For deer I shoot just behind the shoulder and don't lose much meat. Trophy deer I shoot through the shoulder, high shoulder, as I don't want to lose them in the thick East TX jungle we hunt.

Only problem is you just can't buy them now. I'm down to a couple hundred that won't last long between the 3 of us. I bought some 168 A-Max bullets hoping they will give similar performance, we'll see.

Thanks for the info! I have to learn my shot placement for hogs and deer, so hearing experienced hunters like you tell me your experiences is very valuable to me. Nosler comes very highly recommended.

Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by JJH
When they were first introduced 30ish years ago, they were indeed too fragile, expanding too fast, destroying lots of tissue but not penetrating well. Nosler has improved their design and they are now first class game bullets. However, the reputation of being to fragile dies hard

This is 100% true. I've shot too many deer and hogs to count with 120 BT's from my 7mm08. It's a very, very good hunting bullet. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use a 150, 165, or 180 gr BT in .308 caliber. Where people get in trouble with BT's it trying to hot rod the bullet, then complaining about the damage it did t their deer when shot at 75 yards. Matching any bullet to the intended velocity parameters is pretty much the key with any cartridge IMO. For instance, a hunter I had was shooting a 139gr SST at about 3250fps at the muzzle. It made quite a mess impacting bone on an antelope at 75 yds.

Yeah, hot rodding will do that at short ranges. A fast bullet isn't necessary and as you pointed out, can be a detriment for hunting. I think most of my hunting ranges will be 75-150 yards. I have to find what weights my rifle likes and then decided based on game, because I don't want to destroy the deer. Destroying the "target" is only for exploding targets and the military, not for hunting. (Exception can be made for hogs, but for many people that is extermination of their infested ranch. I used to know a bow hunter who had a hog problem, which hurt his deer population, and he leased his land to others for deer hunting.) So with trying to match all of those factors, that is where my friends advice was confusing me. I know they were not hot rodding, they don't reload, but I though their experience with plastic tipped ammo was dated.

I've tried to reply to everyone, but I think I missed some. I wanted to thank everyone for their info and advice. I appreciate it all. I want to learn the best, most efficient way to hunt, and y'all are certainly steering me in the right direction.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see page two!

Last edited by Mindrop; 01/21/22 06:54 PM.
Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: oldoak2000] #8510011 01/21/22 07:28 PM
M
Mindrop Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted by JCB
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
My dad started loading BT’s in our guns in 1886 and Ive killed something or many somethings every year since. There great bullets for their intended purpose, the only issue Ive ever ran into was I loaded some in a RUM and they blew up on contact twice before I realized what was happening but that was user error back when I wasn’t smart rofl For the record, I’m still not to smart most days rofl

You learned the hard way like I did. The key to Ballistic Tips and just about any cup and core bullet is impact velocity. With impact velocities at or above 3000fps these bullets will let you down. They simply are not built for that kind of impact velocity. I like to keep impact velocities below 2800-2900fps if using Ballistic Tips or cup and cores. Anything faster than that I go with a Partition type bullet or bonded bullet.

Ballistic Tips are a tool developed mostly for longer range shooting. Use that tool correctly and it will serve you well. Ask it to do more than what it was designed to do and you are going to get burned.

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad like the last time this topic came up, keep in mind the velocities I listed are IMPACT velocities, NOT MUZZLE velocities. I am actually a fan of cup and cores and Ballistic Tips, you just have to know its limitations.

Impact velocities above 2800 baffle me. That is a very hot cartridge going out of the muzzle if its impact is so high. Most 308 Win caps about 2900 for muzzle velocity and quickly slow after 100 yards. My reloading manual has very little max load data that pushes 308 Win over 3000fps. I can understand why tips at those impact speeds fail. The manufactures give us plenty of information on performance of the test bullets, its up to the shooter to make the right choice for the circumstance. That includes bonded vs cup and core.

You are pretty much required by law to hunt with expanding bullets almost everywhere. A soft point in any common deer cartridge will get it done, and I would not think too much on it. Worry more about shot placement and use expanding bullets, ie any soft point bullet in a common deer cartridge

Yep, I have a lot of work to do to improve my rifle accuracy, but I'll get that down so my shot goes exactly where it needs to be. What I meant by the expanding bullets are the ones that boast about extreme expansion, like 1.8-2 times the bullet diameter. You need expansion in order to get the job done and my friend hunts with soft points.

Originally Posted by oldoak2000
Mindrop, first of all not all 'ballistic tip' bullet designs are the same - it's the jacket thickness design, and whether it's further improved by being crimped or better yet 'bonded', that makes a good med-size hunting bullet.
It's using 'thin jacketed' target-ammo ballistic tip ammo (V-Max) on a large buck or hog shoulder shot that can be an issue,
but several mfgr's make fine premium bonded ballistic tip rounds that are superior for all conditions.

That said, I've taken doe with close neckshots using V-Max rounds that I keep loaded in my 2nd rifle in the stand for in case coyotes show up (which they have and I've whacked them too!),
but these days my main rifle is loaded with premium bonded bt rounds in case that monster buck comes running across the field in the distance not getting close to the feeder. wink

Wow, lots of great info about partition vs accubond. Thank you everyone! To Bryan directly, that's for explaining that. I do love Hornady, but my reloading has been for targets and pistols, and pistol rounds and self-defense rounds are very different in design than hunting bullets. I haven't gotten into the hunting side of reloading yet, but would not be surprised if I do. I'll be making sure I purchase bonded tipped ammo with a sufficient jacket. I plan to only use ammunition designed for hunting, which cuts out target rounds and varmint rounds.

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: JCB] #8510175 01/21/22 11:11 PM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by JCB
Originally Posted by 603Country

Ballistic Tip was introduced in the mid to late 1980's (I think 1984). So Im sure he meant 1986.

LOL 1986 would be correct,

Re: Ballistic Tip Performance? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8510188 01/21/22 11:26 PM
218 Bee Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
You are pretty much required by law to hunt with expanding bullets almost everywhere.

Not to derail the thread, but this interested me. I checked TPWD regs under General Rules as well as Means and Methods and came up empty. Can you point me to the regulation, please?

As to the OP's topic: ORIGINAL BTs were simply the old Nosler Solid Base cup-and-core with the additional of a plastic tip. As with all the old cup & core (unbonded) bullets, impact velocity was critical. I used to cuss the old 100 grain .257 BT out of a .25-06, but found that the selfsame bullet did yeoman service out of a .250 Savage. That was what earned the Partition such a wonderful early reputation; the fact that it could hang together in spite of the velocities of the "magnum craze" of the '60s. The current BTs are both accurate and lethal...use them with confidence.

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide