Print Thread
fumonisin in corn? #85039 08/23/06 11:02 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I bought a bunch of bagged corn from Academy.

I found a white stick on label that says: This product contains between 5-10ppm fumonisin. WARNING: May not be fed to horses or rabbits. Not for human consumption.

On the other side it says that it contains less than 20ppb aflatoxin.

OK, I've heard of aflatoxin but don't know abything about how many ppx's matter. However, I've not heard of fumonisin and thought bagged corn was probably just shelled corn. I've never seen these warnings before.

Any idea what this stuff is and what happens to cottontails that eat it?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: Dave Davidson] #85040 08/23/06 11:12 PM
H
hookemhorns Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I dont have a great answer but the wildlife game biologist where we used to hunt, Concho county, said he suggest that we stray from corn from stores like academy because of the aflatoxin levels in their corn. He said you are in better shape buying corn and feed from a feed store.

Sorry, I dont know if this helps?

Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: Dave Davidson] #85041 08/23/06 11:19 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps

Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #85042 08/24/06 02:50 AM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Good job on that post.

Where you been ?

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #85043 08/24/06 08:48 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Yes, it does help and I appreciate it. I bought it but not sure I'll use it. Occasionally one of the neighbors horses get onto my land and they always find the corn feeders. I need to do some more checking though. If it is safe to plant, I just might throw it in with my winter wheat. Of course, that assumes that it ever rains again and I get to plant wheat.

It is interesting that the bag says it was bagged exclusively for Academy. Now, that tells me something. I saw corn at Wal Mart and there was no label so I guess somebody off loaded a bunch of this stuff to Academy. BTW, WalMart is 10 cents per bag cheaper than Academy and the feed stores are a lot higher. So far, Cabelas has the highest price that I've seen anywhere.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 08/24/06 09:01 AM.
Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: Dave Davidson] #85044 08/24/06 05:40 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
“COLLEGE STATION - Fumonisin, a toxin that is produced almost exclusively in corn and can be fatal to equine and rabbits,

Fumonisin should not be confused with aflatoxin, which is another toxin produced by several molds of the genera of Aspergillus and Penicillium that can occur in corn and also in whole cottonseed, peanuts, grain screenings and the meals made from the oil extracted seed. Aflatoxin infestation is favored by drought conditions and occurs primarily in corn kernels damaged by insects and drought.”
Dave,
I would be really concerned about the corn that is not certified or tagged (by sewing tag in bag). This means it has not been inspected and or did not passed. I don’t know about the sticky label put on bag after it is sealed? I would always look for the sewn in tag at time of bagging. TXPWLD will not allow you to use corn on their property unless it has certification tag.
As far as planting, this bagged corn it is probably hybrid corn and will not fully develop and probably will not even germinate. Farmers have to buy new corn each year for planting (from Funk, Pioneer, Dekalb, ADM, Cargill, others). Seed developer and distributors control all the patented seed corn used for hybrid development. There still some non-hybrid around but yield is generally low.

Same thing for bulk corn out of field or out of grain elevators-untested and unproved. Due to drought, crackage, screenings, splits, this year will probably be a bad year for food grade corn and also safe certified levels for livestock. The reason I am so concerned about this is I used to ranch and lost my favorite horse to aflatoxin necrois as a teenager. Also lost many cattle to blackleg, and prussic acid poisoning. Sad to see a $500 cow or steer blotted laying on the ground helpless and the only thing you can do is poke a hole in them with a troche in a futile attempt to save them. It is a gamble. JMTCW
James

“Aflatoxin infestation is favored by drought conditions and occurs primarily in corn kernels damaged by insects and drought.”

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: Dave Davidson] #85045 08/25/06 02:41 AM
K
kbart Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
I've used corn purchased from Academy for the past 6 years with no problems. There are cattle on the land where I feed, and believe me they eat plenty of it with no problems at all. Dave the corn Academy is selling this year states that it is bagged exclusively for Academy, because this year they have a partnership with the Texas Trophy Hunters. They are also trying to stop Gander Mountain from purchasing Academy's corn at a lower price and then selling it to consumers at a higher price like they did last season.

Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: kbart] #85046 08/25/06 12:22 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Here's my problem. Everything on my land eats the corn and, with a few exceptions, I don't make corpses unless I'm going to eat them. I don't spend time worrying about rabbits but I enjoy seeing them and don't want them to die. I don't have horses but my neighbors do and they occasionally get on my place.

At this point, I'm pretty unimpressed with Academy for selling this stuff for use in a rural area. I'm going to see if they will take it back.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: Dave Davidson] #85047 08/25/06 03:35 PM
K
kbart Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Dave I'm sure they will take it back. They have their corn on sell through Saturday for around 3.23 a bag, and I'm sure they will run out. Let me know which Academy your taking it back to so I can run and buy what your returning. At 3.23 a bag I can't miss out on that. By the way the land I hunt on is covered with rabbits. I see at least 10 every time I go out. Doesn't seem to be bothering them.

Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: kbart] #85048 08/25/06 04:17 PM
J
jbhlsu Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Man I wish that stuff would get the coons...little boogers..

Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: kbart] #85049 08/25/06 09:08 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
KBart, I think I've got it sold to a neighbor for chicken feed.

BTW, I didn't get it last Friday for $3.23. It cost me $3.86.

Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: Dave Davidson] #85050 08/25/06 11:04 PM
K
kbart Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Dave its only on sale this week through Saturday.

Re: fumonisin in corn? [Re: kbart] #85051 08/26/06 04:54 PM
B
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
You got it right. Thats why in the off season you cant find DEER CORN ($4.50)just feed corn($5.95 a bag). Deer corn is cheeper and not safe for cows,pigs for commercial sale. No one should feed a horse stait corn but alittle cracked corn with its feed is ok for putting fat on a skinny horse.

MD Smith >>>-----> You gota kill it before you grill it
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide