Forums46
Topics538,274
Posts9,735,145
Members87,077
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8445493 11/11/21 03:43 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Been doing the gutless for years. Can do the gutless with it hanging or on ground. The only time I gut my deer or pigs is on public hunts where it’s required.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8445526 11/11/21 04:09 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Depends on how bad my hangover is.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Erny] #8445683 11/11/21 07:12 PM
TexasSully Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Erny
Been doing the gutless for years. Can do the gutless with it hanging or on ground. The only time I gut my deer or pigs is on public hunts where it’s required.

I learned the gutless from a hunter at Colorado Bend SP about 5 years ago and use it whenever possible. Last time I gutted deer was on an Axis hunt where I was getting a shoulder mount and my son wanted a rug with his doe.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8445728 11/11/21 07:59 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I shot a deer this morning. Tried the gutless, for first time on a deer. Done it to hogs.

Since I was alone, I just loaded it on tailgate. It wasn’t perfect. But wasn’t hard, I will get better. I will no longer gut, it’s quartered nicely in a cooler.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Roll-Tide] #8445731 11/11/21 08:02 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I shot a deer this morning. Tried the gutless, for first time on a deer. Done it to hogs.

Since I was alone, I just loaded it on tailgate. It wasn’t perfect. But wasn’t hard, I will get better. I will no longer gut, it’s quartered nicely in a cooler.

up

Congrats on getting you one down!
And you will get fast at it for sure and if you can hang them, it gets even easier to do this way. My boy can have a deer in an icechest in 15-20 minutes most times unless it is a buck that needs to be caped cleanly!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8445794 11/11/21 09:41 PM
C
Coastalquacker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I tend to hang, head down and skin, gutless method and then take shoulders and hind quarters to the house for processing myself. If I have more than 2 to process, front shoulders and maybe a rear quarter to two go to processor. Last year in the hill country we had 3 does on the ground before 8am, I took a bunch to the processor.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8445800 11/11/21 09:49 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
What do all you gutless peeps do about the neck?

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Hudbone] #8445802 11/11/21 09:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
What do all you gutless peeps do about the neck?

There are no guts in the neck?

Trim out the neck as im doing here [Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: skinnerback] #8445811 11/11/21 10:07 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by skinnerback
The only time I use the gutless method is if somebody gut shoots one and especially if not recovered for a while. Crazy how so many folks here don't want to gut them lol. There's nothing like the feel of warm guts on your hands on a cold day. Anyway, to each their own. up

Sometimes I gut on the ground, sometimes I hang & then gut keeping any desired organ meat...and always hang by the back legs. Then skin, quarter, & pack on ice to take home for processing. The ribs are either de-boned for sausage meat, or I'll saw them off the carcass/saw in half/season them up good and throw them on the pit for a little snack.

When my wife shot a buck and it was 14 degrees, I was damn happy to stick my hands in the guts for warmth. I always gut them because I take all the meat to the processor and I what the heart. Pigs I will only skin and quarter.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: BigPig] #8445829 11/11/21 10:35 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by BigPig
The only time I use the gutless method is if somebody gut shoots one and especially if not recovered for a while. Crazy how so many folks here don't want to gut them lol. There's nothing like the feel of warm guts on your hands on a cold day. Anyway, to each their own. up

Sometimes I gut on the ground, sometimes I hang & then gut keeping any desired organ meat...and always hang by the back legs. Then skin, quarter, & pack on ice to take home for processing. The ribs are either de-boned for sausage meat, or I'll saw them off the carcass/saw in half/season them up good and throw them on the pit for a little snack.

When my wife shot a buck and it was 14 degrees, I was damn happy to stick my hands in the guts for warmth. I always gut them because I take all the meat to the processor and I what the heart. Pigs I will only skin and quarter.

Man, if you've never had fresh fried pork ribs you're sure missing out bud. Saw each rack off the carcass (the bigger the pig the better), saw them in half longways, then separate each rib with a knife. Rinse them off/pat dry then drop them into a pot of hot peanut oil and fry until crispy. Dump each batch into a big bowl/season with Cajun seasoning (Magic Dust) to your liking/shake them up good just like you do cracklins. Lay them suckers out on a wire rack or paper towels and watch how fast they disappear. I bet money you'll be gutting them after that! up I like them better like this than I do BBQ ribs, and I love me some BBQ ribs.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: FritzTowner] #8445919 11/12/21 12:40 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by FritzTowner
I do two of the six. Take meat in the gutless manner and then process the meat at the house.

after I learned how easy, no way I was paying processor

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8445990 11/12/21 02:07 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The one I shot today, I quartered and took out back straps. Took two decent size cuts from each side of neck. I have never done this method and was alone. It took me about 45 minutes, I’m
Not that good with a knife.

I’m gonna try Kubys, will be taking it there tomorrow.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: skinnerback] #8446012 11/12/21 02:41 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by BigPig

Man, if you've never had fresh fried pork ribs you're sure missing out bud. Saw each rack off the carcass (the bigger the pig the better), saw them in half longways, then separate each rib with a knife. Rinse them off/pat dry then drop them into a pot of hot peanut oil and fry until crispy. Dump each batch into a big bowl/season with Cajun seasoning (Magic Dust) to your liking/shake them up good just like you do cracklins. Lay them suckers out on a wire rack or paper towels and watch how fast they disappear. I bet money you'll be gutting them after that! up I like them better like this than I do BBQ ribs, and I love me some BBQ ribs.

Sorry, but just wanted to add....pigs in the 200-300 + lb range saw them longways into 3-4 strips per side depending on size. The more meat & fat on the rib, the shorter finger ribs you want and sometimes once fried good n crisp I like to toss in hot sauce just like chicken wings. If you fry them right the outside will be real crispy but the meat inside will be tender and delicious. On a big pig, I like to do 1 half seasoned, and the other half in wing sauce/hot sauce. Good eats.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: skinnerback] #8446264 11/12/21 02:02 PM
C
Catperch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I'll have to try this when the hogs move back into my place. I cook my deer ribs in the crock pot 8 hours and then grill with sauce for a few minutes. I like them but they are not the best....but I don't like to waste anything.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8446324 11/12/21 02:44 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I want to try the gutless method, but I feel like watching a YouTube video on the gutless method will leave out some steps that I need once I'm out in the field attempting it.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Gringo Bling] #8446399 11/12/21 03:50 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
I want to try the gutless method, but I feel like watching a YouTube video on the gutless method will leave out some steps that I need once I'm out in the field attempting it.

There are not as many steps as you think unless you are saving the cape. I hang them in the tree unzip his suit, follow the brown on white borders of the shoulders and hams to the center of deer then zip from butt to chin. cut off the ankles, peel down the skin enough to wrap a golf ball or rock in then loop a cable and pull tight. Tie the other end to the truck and drive the skin off. Takes about 3 minutes and minimal hair. Longer and dirtier to save the cape. Now just cut out the backstraps, and front shoulders. While the deer is hanging by the feet cut the membrane by the hams and ribs to get the tenders out before taking the hams, gravity will pull the stomach and entrails down so you can see them. From that angle you can get the flank, heart, liver and kidneys if you want. I take a cordless saws-all to cut the hooves, neck, then lower the torso into the gut bucket and cut the back end leaving the hams in the air. Clean the anal cavity out and saws-all straight down splitting the spine and hams. take the hams down cut off the feet. I put the gut bucket on the tailgate before cutting the torso from the hams. No lifting that way.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8446402 11/12/21 03:55 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Interesting stuff here. To my knowledge, its always been the norm for record keeping on any type managed place, to get the "field dressed weight". If you go gutless then I assume you either dont keep records or you just estimate the weight of the guts....? Nothing wrong with not keeping records, but im curious about those that do keep records and if you gut or not.
Doesnt MLD require record keeping with field dressed weight?

Last edited by freerange; 11/12/21 03:56 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: freerange] #8446406 11/12/21 04:04 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by freerange
Interesting stuff here. To my knowledge, its always been the norm for record keeping on any type managed place, to get the "field dressed weight". If you go gutless then I assume you either dont keep records or you just estimate the weight of the guts....? Nothing wrong with not keeping records, but im curious about those that do keep records and if you gut or not.
Doesnt MLD require record keeping with field dressed weight?

We used to keep records when it was leased but now the place is ours we don't see the need but I see the point.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8447828 11/14/21 02:40 AM
C
Catperch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Had to go gutless this morning, shot a doe and the bullet turned and ripped through the guts and out the back flank. Never had one do that.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8448144 11/14/21 02:39 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Where legal I use the gutless method and bone them where they drop and only bring out the meat. But I can't do that here in TX which I personally think is a pretty dumb law because I see no reason to bring out the head of a doe when I can simply leave a tit on a small piece of hide attached to the meat to prove it was a doe. I also don't hunt in an AR county so I really don't see why I can't simply remove the antlers or leave a nut attached for a buck.

If I kill one here in TX then I normally skin the deer and do the gutless method and remove the quarters, straps, loins and as much grind as I can. I also skin out the head to remove as much weight as I can since I hunt public ground on foot and pack the meat out on a packframe. Last year my pack out was a little over 3 miles and every ounce of weight I can cut makes a difference.

I do my own processing including making sausage.

Originally Posted by redchevy
My hang up with the gutless method is you cant do it and take the flank/rib meat. It makes grind and sausage just like everything else.

Why not? After you get the quarters and backstrap off one side you can bone out the ribs by running a sharp knife between them, take off the flank, get the tenderloin and simply roll the carcass over and do the same on the other side. You don't lose a scrap of meat with the gutless method unless you are too lazy to get it all.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8449316 11/15/21 06:25 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
we have a reasonably good place to hang deer and wash them out. concrete pad with a winch and cable, running water, etc. we tend to pick deer up in the field and bring them back to camp where we gut them on the ground and then hang them up for washing and skinning/quartering. We tend to debone he ribcage as it hangs as its otherwise pretty bulky to fit into an ice chest or refrigerator. Other places i've hunted where there were no facilities at all we still gutted deer on the ground usually wherever we recovered them and carried water in an old milk jug to wash up some. after that deer went into truck bed and went home to hang in the garage for hanging and skinning, etc. its just the way i learned, and i'm a creature of habit.

i've pondered what i would do if i was on some sort of walk-in hunt where taking a vehicle or sorts to pick up game would not be an option and field quartering so it could be packed out would be a necessity. I've never done anything like that except for some hogs once. The hog we shot wasn't very big so it wasn't an issue.

Outdoorsman
Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8453566 11/19/21 05:18 PM
T
tightlines24 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Personally, I gut my deer as soon as possible on the ground. I will then hang it in a tree or droop it over brush in a shady spot. I will pry rib cage open facing the breeze. Basically, I'm trying to get the meat cooling down as quick as possible. I then get the truck and get as close as I can but I always try to hunt in the roughest areas on the lease so often it is a long haul to get the deer back to the truck. Once at camp, I'll hang it. About 50/50 as to head or feet first. Makes no difference to me. Then I'll skin it. If its cold, which it seems to never be anymore I'll bag it with two twin sheets sewed together and let it hang making sure no sun light will be getting on it. If its warm, its gets quartered and put on ice.

Re: How do you take care of dead deer? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8453679 11/19/21 06:42 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
I rarely gut anymore.
Hang by back legs, skin down to base of head, cut slit in between back legs to get tenders out, cut out back straps, front quarters, and then the two hind quarters. Trim off all good meat for ground meat or sausage and take entire body with the guts in it to the dump.

X2

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide