Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8437285 11/02/21 10:54 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I started out both my wife and grandson with a Remington .222. Wife killed a deer and decided she decided she didn’t want to do it again. Grandson inherited it and killed his first deer at 6 yoa. He’s now 22. First great grandkid that wants to hunt gets it now.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8437568 11/03/21 03:46 AM
S
shadams Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Lots of good info guys thanks. I'm gonna let him shoot the ar, moved stock in and fits great. Vortex viper 4 16 on it now so he can get up close. Need to find some ammo, all I have in 223 is a bazillion fmj rounds. Also gonna get a 10rnd mag, get rid of the hang down problem. if he does well I'll start looking at yalls suggestions, thanks, and I'll report back if he bags one. BTW, I use the Hornady sst 165 grain in my 308, I assume they have a 223? Really has served me well hunting.

Last edited by shadams; 11/03/21 03:47 AM.

"If the Truth becomes Outlawed, then Outlaws we must become..."
Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8437887 11/03/21 03:06 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
For factory ammo, they are pretty good at sticking a deer on he box for their deer ammo.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8437894 11/03/21 03:12 PM
S
Savage243 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I don't know if you want to go with a .308 or not or how much you want to spend, but my father in law has a sweet Winchester Model 88 .308 Win. with a short stock on it already that he'd sell. Looks to have been cut down to a youth model.

Located in Odessa.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8438269 11/03/21 09:45 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by shadams
So took my 6yr old boy to the range with his sisters 22 henry, and he was hitting small keg at 60yrds with open sights. Switched him to his big boy gun, his Henry lever 22mag Ive been saving for him, and he was on target at 100yrds with a scope. Blew my mind. Put him on my .308 and I was holding the back of the stock (for recoil management) while he peeked through the scope a called out adjustments, and was able to hit the kill zone (prob a 8 inch group haha) 3 times. I busted out his grandpa 25.06 and before he went to bed set him up to see if he could shoulder it see through the scope and he could, but the next am at the range I realized it had quite a kick to it, oldschool wood stock gun, no pad, no muzzle brake etc.

Need a small stature smaller caliber gun for his first deer rifle ASAP, he wont shut up about shooting his first deer next weekend and I cant let the moment pass. Doing research as we speak but let me know what you guys have done for your kids. Is a bolt action .223 reasonable for a whitetail doe? Trying not to have to buy another caliber of ammo....

Thanks!!

edit; dont wanna risk a 22mag not doing the job on a deer, otherwise that gun is the perfect size for him.

I think the .22 Mag is illegal anyway.

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8438306 11/03/21 10:38 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
300 Ham'r ,6.5 Grendel or 223. In that order. All are light kicking and deadly on deer.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8438327 11/03/21 11:08 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Another idea might be a soft kicker that has enough bullet would be one of the old Euro rounds in 6.5x55 or 7x57in factory ammo... I started my small framed youngest at 8 with a .223 and he handled it off the bench OK. Took him to the lease and he said I'd like to shoot a deer. We used one of the tall tree stands about 50-60' off the ground that overlooked a feeder pen. An almost full grown doe showed up and he put the bullet where it was supposed to go at the tree blind's extreme down angle, knocked her down and rolled her over but she made her feet and ran off...young son was OK with the idea of the kill but almost could not handle the doe's getting away while wounded. We found her couple hundred yards away DOA but he never hunted again.

When Dallas VA screwed up my shooting shoulder in trying to dig out a fist sized 22 oz non malignant tumor from the side of my neck, top of my shoulder and down into my spine, I could not raise my hand to scratch my ear for almost 10 years when I had been shooting 300WMgs or 9.3x62's off the bench easily ...and started over with a 6.5x55 and fell in love with it. That lil SAKO Swede is what kept me going during those years when a 270 was almost too much unless I had down loaded it.

Good 120gr'ers at max speeds out of the Swede was plenty of bullet on game out past 200 yards too. My Winchester Fwt 7x57 in 140 gr'ers will fill that description too. The cure of my shoulder came 3 years ago with multiple steroid shots that have worked on the bone spurs still left in the ball & socket joint from the surgery 10 years earlier.

Balance the weight of the rifle x's the recoil poundage and young son will grow into the bigger calibers as he matures. BTDT
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: DUKFVR] #8438332 11/03/21 11:12 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by DUKFVR
6.8 SPC/6.5 Grendel (tie), 300 Ham'r or 223. In that order. All are light kicking and deadly on deer.

FIFY

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8438456 11/04/21 12:33 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
It is crazy to me, reading the posts about the recoil of the 30/30 and then the recommendations of a .243. In my very limited experience (one rifle) a plastic fantastic Ruger American .243 packs a heck of a wallop to the shoulder and the cheek. Vs my little Marlin 336 youth gun with solid plastic butt plate, I can literally shoot all day just for grins. A whole afternoon of wasting ammo, all 170 grain loads, might make my shoulder a little bit sore with my 30/30.

The Ruger American was accurate but not comfortable to shoot. Sold it. Maybe in an 8+ pound wood stock savage axis, the .243 could be comfortable to shoot. But .243 in a compact, plastic stock gun… you can’t tell me it has less recoil than a 30/30 lever gun!

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8438750 11/04/21 12:53 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Going back through this thread which I believe ran off the rails a bit. I was guilty too but after reading the original post. In my worthless opinion.

6 years old is WAY to soon to actually shoot game. There I said it. I know all "Dads" want this for their kids, but I think 6 is just too young. 9-10 is better.

I know some of your kids killed deer at 2 years old but I think 6 years old is a teaching age, shoot at the range, hunting is a lot different. A wounded deer will ruin him forever.

IDK, do what you feel is best. I'm an old guy, I still hunt with my 31 year old daughter every year. Every year she kills her deer and cries. She shot an Axis a few years ago, after stalking it. Her first shot did not kill it. She had to walk up on it and see it suffering, finish it off at close range. This is NOT what anyone likes to see but it can be traumatic on a child and could ruin him/her for a lifetime of great experiences. .

Sorry to be a downer but maybe a few more years of watching Dad, listening and learning what hunting is all about..

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: Buzzsaw] #8438753 11/04/21 12:57 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Going back through this thread which I believe ran off the rails a bit. I was guilty too but after reading the original post. In my worthless opinion.

6 years old is WAY to soon to actually shoot game. There I said it. I know all "Dads" want this for their kids, but I think 6 is just too young. 9-10 is better.

I know some of your kids killed deer at 2 years old but I think 6 years old is a teaching age, shoot at the range, hunting is a lot different. A wounded deer will ruin him forever.

IDK, do what you feel is best. I'm an old guy, I still hunt with my 31 year old daughter every year. Every year she kills her deer and cries. She shot an Axis a few years ago, after stalking it. Her first shot did not kill it. She had to walk up on it and see it suffering, finish it off at close range. This is NOT what anyone likes to see but it can be traumatic on a child and could ruin him/her for a lifetime of great experiences. .

Sorry to be a downer but maybe a few more years of watching Dad, listening and learning what hunting is all about..

Thoughtful post.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: Buzzsaw] #8439330 11/04/21 11:36 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

Disagree. It's about ability, not age. Whether that's 6 or 16, every kid is different depending on how much time you spend actually teaching them and the individual kid. My 4 kids all started shooting and hunting at a young age. Once they could prove to me that they were ready to shoot an animal, I let them. If they were shooting tight groups at the range but couldn't hold it together with a deer in the scope, then we waited. That simple. No pressure from me, they're ready when they're ready. My youngest Son proved to me he was ready at age 7, and he was. Made a perfect 100 yrd heart shot. I've seen kids shoot better than some grown men, they tend to be more focused and haven't developed bad habits yet. As far as making bad shots and ruining a young hunter for life, that's just silly. Bad shots happen to people of all ages and yes it sucks......but when you fall off a horse you don't give up run home and cry to Mommy, you get back on it and ride.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: Buzzsaw] #8439668 11/05/21 11:54 AM
S
shadams Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S

Thank you for that and I hear you. All three of my kiddos have been out at the ranch practically every weekend of their lives, including 8 hunting seasons now and have "helped" me dress out several deer. I try to have them with me as much as possible around the ranch and the other guys. He's a tough kid. with that said, I have had some rough situations with deer that didn't go down, so I am mindful of that. I've talked to him about it and I think he's ready.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: skinnerback] #8439888 11/05/21 03:56 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Disagree. It's about ability, not age.

What Buzz is saying has merit but I agree with you. My son at 6 could handle the hatchet and mark the trunks where I needed to log em, and that was about it. My nephew at 6 could outwork some of the men here. That boy is big and strong.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8440043 11/05/21 07:48 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by shadams

Thank you for that and I hear you. All three of my kiddos have been out at the ranch practically every weekend of their lives, including 8 hunting seasons now and have "helped" me dress out several deer. I try to have them with me as much as possible around the ranch and the other guys. He's a tough kid. with that said, I have had some rough situations with deer that didn't go down, so I am mindful of that. I've talked to him about it and I think he's ready.

Sounds great, I hope he shoots a big-un up

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8440110 11/05/21 09:25 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I started my son with a .cut down 223 at age 6. The little rifle fit him for one season. We practiced ALOT leading up to hunting. We also watched a lot of deer video with him sittin by the screen. I paused the video and he would tell me shot or no shot. Then he would put his finger on the screen to show me exactly where to place the shot. Then we practiced dry firing at does to see if the crosshairs were still on target after the hammer fell. He was prepared and we had zero problems. I hunt MLD and need to cull a good many deer each year. He shot four that year, all in the crease just behind the point of the shoulder on a broadside deer. They all ran. The furthest went about 70 yards. All were recovered and he helped “knife on” every one. Some of the best hunting memories I have is him learning to beat the doe fever and rubbing his hands on the fur of the first one and asking me “where is the meat”?. Be honest with yourself and don’t let him draw down on one till you are certain he possesses the skill and knowledge to close the deal. Shot placement is vital with any rifle. It is more so with a small caliber in the hands of a youngster.
All the best to your boy and you.

Edit to add: recoil for a six year old and a grown man is two different things. If your son is like mine was, he wold not admit how much recoil he feels. Err on the side of caution and don’t develop recoil associated bad habits. He is most likely not going to tell you but the results may be lasting. Put ear plugs in that boys ears.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 11/05/21 09:35 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8440381 11/06/21 02:11 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I got a 243 when I was about his age. Still have it.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8441318 11/07/21 01:25 PM
S
shadams Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
He got it done!!! [Linked Image]

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8441560 11/07/21 05:23 PM
D
Dink Dodger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Haha, congrats!
Good looking kiddos sir.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8441615 11/07/21 06:20 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
greatness

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8441622 11/07/21 06:32 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Congrats, that is pure awesomeness!

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8442070 11/08/21 02:28 AM
Obi Wan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I started my son on a Ruger 77/357 I bought here. My BIL had started his sons with lever action .357s. Killed several deer. One large 12 point at 125 yards. They used 125 grain HP. I started with 125 JSP. He killed a nice spike at 70 yards. 35 caliber hole going in. Quarter sized hole coming out. It’s about as perfect a starter as I can think of. I put it in a laminated Boyd’s stock and cut the stock to length for him. I kept the piece I cut off and I put it back on this year with wood glue and screws and he just keeps using it.

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8442786 11/08/21 08:08 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
CONGRATS!!!!!!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: shadams] #8443023 11/09/21 12:20 AM
T
tailchaser93 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Man that’s awesome what did he end up using?

Re: Need Rifle for my little man [Re: tailchaser93] #8443074 11/09/21 01:05 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by tailchaser93
Man that’s awesome what did he end up using?

Looks like the AR, check here for more of the story. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...re-my-boy-got-his-first-buck#Post8441625

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide