Print Thread
Duck Calls #841601 08/13/09 12:44 AM
G
Gunslinger Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
G
I'm not a duck hunter, so I was totally shocked when reading through the new Cabelas waterfowl circular and saw prices of duck calls.

Holy Sheet!!! There were calls going for $75 - $150 each!!

Really? What are they made of? Gold? Do you guys really pay that much for a duck call?

Gunslinger

"Since hunting is a sport, I guess that makes us athletes"

Re: Duck Calls [Re: Gunslinger] #841602 08/13/09 01:24 AM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Go price a CNC lathe, which is what is used to make acrylic calls.

And yes, I pay it without blinking. Depending on how my lanyard is set up, there's somewhere between $450 and $600 hanging on it.

If brilliant men are roses then I'm just a field of daisies.
Re: Duck Calls [Re: Threecurl] #841603 08/13/09 01:34 AM
D
DaleGribble Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Just like everything else you get what you pay for. And no, they are not made of gold. What type of hunting do you do? Im sure that you pay for stuff that would make a duck hunter curious as well.

Gun's don't kill people. The Government does.

I killed eight gophers last year and a purebred Tennessee walking horse that was looking at me funny.
Re: Duck Calls [Re: DaleGribble] #841604 08/13/09 01:36 AM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
I wonder how much gunslinger has spent on corn this year?

#sigline
Re: Duck Calls [Re: #Hayraker] #841605 08/13/09 01:44 AM
W
Waderator Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Paid $140 for my latest duck call, a RNT Daisy Cutter. Worth every single penny IMO.

Re: Duck Calls [Re: #Hayraker] #841606 08/13/09 01:47 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
JJLares acrylic: $140
RNT Bocote Short Barell: $75
Duck Commander woodie: $15
High Roller whistle: $12
Zink Power Maximus Poly: $20

My lanyard hangs $262

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: Duck Calls [Re: ishootspoonies] #841607 08/13/09 01:58 AM
W
WhiskeyandMe Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I think gold is less expensive!

J.J.

Looking for a Deer, Dove, Duck, Crow, Goose, Hog, or Turkey Hunt? Check us out! www.kentoutdoors.com

Re: Duck Calls [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #841608 08/13/09 05:55 AM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Buck Gardner Hercules= $30
Buck Gardner Double Nasty= $20
Buck Gardner Buck Brush= $80
Buck Gardner Whistle= $7

Re: Duck Calls [Re: cable] #841609 08/13/09 06:24 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Well Gunslinger,
I am different, but these guys know that. Almost all of my waterfowl hunting is on heavy hunted public water. I almost never use a feed chuckle. Sounds really cool, but it is way over used and most ducks I have heard make it were not feeding but the first flyers of the morning with someplace to be. Everyone over uses it and I think it alarms ducks on some of the water I hunt.
But I have to admit that call sure sounds awesome from a nice acrylic call in the hands of a good caller.

The hail call is over used on public water too. It is what everyone hears everyone on the other side of a cove or lake for that matter calling to distant passing ducks. I have had better luck staying silent and waving my hat up and down to turn distant ducks.

I use more of what I guess would be called greeting calls, single hen or lonely hen quacks, and pleading or come back calls. More soft and slow. (stay with me here, there is a reason I strayed from the question to lead up to answer it) Public water I get more use of a call to entice ducks to swim in that where interested but landed in open water beyond the decoys than anything else.

I would say this too, don't matter how much your call cost, if you don't call well, it will still not sound right. I was at Bass Pro the other day and saw whiskeyandme calling on a $20 Buck Gardner call that sounded better than most I have heard on expensive acrylic calls. I like Haydels calls myself. I don't know the models right off, I have a few different ones I have tried, and one large barreled one on my lanyard is no longer made anyway, but on my lanyard I might have a haydels single reed, haydels double reed, a backup call that I think is a primos I got with a magazine subscription or something and a pintail/teal whistle that this reminds me is cracked and needs to be replaced.

In fact to add. A simple whistle type call is one of my go to calls. Public water ducks have not been called to death with them so much on the trip to texas and around the lakes, so they really respond to them well I have found. Those calls are dirt cheap too.

Easily less than $50 on my lanyard, but for my calling strategy that includes silence on some days, I do just fine. For public I rely more on scouting and being on the x where the ducks want to be.

My favorite call of all time was an old wooden Sureshot. It was huge and had a deep raspy sound of an old hen. So easy to call, it brought me ducks over several years. At the time I bought it I am sure it cost less than $5 bought at Gibsons. I would have no problem feeling confident with that call today if it was not broken.

Not saying expensive acrylic calls are not better sounding, just it is not something you HAVE to use to be successful. I might upgrade someday, but then considering the extra money would cost me a day or two of actual hunting. I'm going hunting with what I already have and know works. Besides, I'm not a good enough caller that it would really matter anyway.

Re: Duck Calls [Re: Sniper John] #841610 08/13/09 06:34 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Duck calls are like musical instruments, the more bucks you pay, the more difficult notes you can hit, but it takes skill to hit those notes. As for me, I’m challenged with basic notes on a $20 call, when I master that, I will pay top $ for calls to hit those difficult notes…..I’m just not there yet.

Re: Duck Calls [Re: Guy] #841611 08/13/09 06:58 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Everything on my lanyard I'm pretty sure I got on clearance. Total is easily under $30.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Calls [Re: Fooshman] #841612 08/13/09 04:12 PM
Q
quackrjack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q
What do yall think is the best call and tecnique for pintails?

What works better? A "toot" or a rolling whistle (like sports whistle?)

Re: Duck Calls [Re: quackrjack] #841613 08/13/09 04:47 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Quote:

What do yall think is the best call and tecnique for pintails?

What works better? A "toot" or a rolling whistle (like sports whistle?)

A pintail's call is a trilling whistle - high pitched in immature birds, deeper in mature birds.

If brilliant men are roses then I'm just a field of daisies.
Re: Duck Calls [Re: DaleGribble] #841614 08/13/09 06:00 PM
G
Gunslinger Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
G
Quote:

Just like everything else you get what you pay for. And no, they are not made of gold. What type of hunting do you do? Im sure that you pay for stuff that would make a duck hunter curious as well.

LOL. Oh yes. I spend WAY too much money on gadgets myself. I wasn't trying to insult anyone in anyway - just curious to see how many pay those prices for a call. I agree - you get what you pay for. I'm guilty of spending money that I don't even have on hunting gear. I just spent over $1,500 on a new varmint rifle with all the bells and whistles. And Hayraker, I'll probably spend a few hundred bucks on corn this season.

Gunslinger

Re: Duck Calls [Re: Sniper John] #841615 08/13/09 06:01 PM
G
Gunslinger Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
G
Quote:

Well Gunslinger,
I am different, but these guys know that. Almost all of my waterfowl hunting is on heavy hunted public water. I almost never use a feed chuckle. Sounds really cool, but it is way over used and most ducks I have heard make it were not feeding but the first flyers of the morning with someplace to be. Everyone over uses it and I think it alarms ducks on some of the water I hunt.
But I have to admit that call sure sounds awesome from a nice acrylic call in the hands of a good caller.

The hail call is over used on public water too. It is what everyone hears everyone on the other side of a cove or lake for that matter calling to distant passing ducks. I have had better luck staying silent and waving my hat up and down to turn distant ducks.

I use more of what I guess would be called greeting calls, single hen or lonely hen quacks, and pleading or come back calls. More soft and slow. (stay with me here, there is a reason I strayed from the question to lead up to answer it) Public water I get more use of a call to entice ducks to swim in that where interested but landed in open water beyond the decoys than anything else.

I would say this too, don't matter how much your call cost, if you don't call well, it will still not sound right. I was at Bass Pro the other day and saw whiskeyandme calling on a $20 Buck Gardner call that sounded better than most I have heard on expensive acrylic calls. I like Haydels calls myself. I don't know the models right off, I have a few different ones I have tried, and one large barreled one on my lanyard is no longer made anyway, but on my lanyard I might have a haydels single reed, haydels double reed, a backup call that I think is a primos I got with a magazine subscription or something and a pintail/teal whistle that this reminds me is cracked and needs to be replaced.

In fact to add. A simple whistle type call is one of my go to calls. Public water ducks have not been called to death with them so much on the trip to texas and around the lakes, so they really respond to them well I have found. Those calls are dirt cheap too.

Easily less than $50 on my lanyard, but for my calling strategy that includes silence on some days, I do just fine. For public I rely more on scouting and being on the x where the ducks want to be.

My favorite call of all time was an old wooden Sureshot. It was huge and had a deep raspy sound of an old hen. So easy to call, it brought me ducks over several years. At the time I bought it I am sure it cost less than $5 bought at Gibsons. I would have no problem feeling confident with that call today if it was not broken.

Not saying expensive acrylic calls are not better sounding, just it is not something you HAVE to use to be successful. I might upgrade someday, but then considering the extra money would cost me a day or two of actual hunting. I'm going hunting with what I already have and know works. Besides, I'm not a good enough caller that it would really matter anyway.

Good stuff Sniper John. Thanks for the info.

Gunslinger

Re: Duck Calls [Re: Gunslinger] #841616 08/13/09 06:39 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Quote:

LOL. Oh yes. I spend WAY too much money on gadgets myself. I wasn't trying to insult anyone in anyway - just curious to see how many pay those prices for a call. I agree - you get what you pay for. I'm guilty of spending money that I don't even have on hunting gear. I just spent over $1,500 on a new varmint rifle with all the bells and whistles. And Hayraker, I'll probably spend a few hundred bucks on corn this season.

I think we probably all spend to much on toys, but ain't it fun

#sigline
Re: Duck Calls [Re: #Hayraker] #841617 08/13/09 07:38 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I would say most of the duck hunters I know don't spend that much for calls...if they do it's a one time thing. Most of the guys that do pay that have been hunting so long that they are run out of other stuff to buy and they want to get that slight edge and are willing to pay for it. Either that or they are really into the art of calling. I know others that have been hunting for years and years with $20 calls.

In the end there are so many factors that combined go into having good hunts that its really hard to say how much more beneficial a $150 call is vs a $20 call.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Duck Calls [Re: Marcstar] #841618 08/13/09 08:07 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
new to the site, from colorado and i do more goose calling than duck. but i know a good goose call is worth it. a nicer call produces so many more tones and pitches than a cheap call. worth every penny.

Re: Duck Calls [Re: Buffs 1] #849143 08/18/09 05:33 AM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
i like to think im a decent duck caller, although i will definitely say that most of yall would tell me to put em away after the first note...what would yall think would be a reasonably priced good duck call to get?

Re: Duck Calls [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #849187 08/18/09 06:11 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Don't know what you want by 'reasonably priced' but a couple of good high end duck calls I like are the Echo XLT and RNT Daisy Cutter. I've heard good things about the Buck Gardner Double Nasty and it's only $24.99 I believe, but never tried one.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Duck Calls [Re: FowlDreams] #850282 08/18/09 07:34 PM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
My favorite low end call is the echo poly carb single reed timber call. This is a very very good call. I think they normally sell around 25-30 bucks. I give them away to the youth that hunt with me every year.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide