Forums46
Topics538,136
Posts9,733,418
Members87,070
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... #838827 08/11/09 04:15 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I was wondering how many of you hunt all day in your blind? I think the longest I have made it was about 5 hours.

So for those who do hunt all day and never go back to camp what do you take with you? What kind of food? Drinks? Etc.

Thanks,

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Deerhunter61] #838828 08/11/09 05:05 PM
A
age n score Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Good question.... I hunt in my blind all day every time I hunt. I stock my blind up with bottle water, snacks, toilet paper, and a good chair. Staying all day for me is part of the fun. Sometimes I'll take a book to kill some time, but mostly I'll stay posted up looking for wildlife. My feeder goes off 4 times a day, and I have a remote to drop some Indian corn when things get slow. But for the most part, deer will be by my feeder off and on all day. As long as you keep plenty to munch on and some water you should be just fine. I took me a couple of years to get it down on what I needed to have in the blind with me, and every year I seem to add more, and more. I'm still working on a cure for my cramps I get about 10 min. before daylight. I tried a 5 gallon bucket last year, but it makes too much noise for me, and the smell is pretty bad. I'm going to take a trash bag and put it in the bucket this year and see how it works, I tried it last year, but used too cheap of a bag. Dang near ruined my stuff on that one. But make a list of what you think you will need, and want and start from there. If you have the room making a day of it is really fun. I feed Indian corn and the deer really seem to like it, and stay at the feeder longer..!

I feed Indian Corn, the deer really seem to like it and stay at the feeder longer......and longer....!
Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: age n score] #838829 08/11/09 06:05 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Sitting all day in a stand can be brutal especially if it's hot, which most of the time it is in south Texas.

I make sure I'm supplied with a cooler with plenty of ice, water, drinks, sandwiches and snacks, such as fruit, peanuts, and maybe candy bar.

I try to pick the days I'm going to stay all day, and those will more than likely be during the rut when the deer tend to move at anytime of the day.

I pass the time rattling, watching my little battery operated TV, and sometimes I'll get out of the blind and walk back to the Jeep and look for arrowheads, just to streach my legs.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: age n score] #838830 08/11/09 06:12 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Eating Indian corn will give you cramps!

At least that's what I've heard!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Jimbo] #838831 08/11/09 06:13 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
IF, I hunt all day, I will take a backpack carrying all the essentials. A few bottles of water, peanut butter crackers in a ziplock bag.... a handful of the lucas covered suckers, pork & beans and a big ziplock bag full of fried catfish- cooked w/ just enough salt that it doesn't matter that it's cold. And a full can of snuff...and a laptop.

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: rifleman] #838832 08/11/09 06:28 PM
T
tx270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
A LAPTOP!!!!!!!????????? LOL! Don't you know the point of hunting is to get away from all the everyday BS distractions!

Whatever happened to a good old fashioned book, made out of real paper and everything?

Just ribbin' ya' rifleman.

Bill

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: tx270] #838833 08/11/09 06:43 PM
J
jodster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I hunt on state land in a tree lounge I've stayed up in it a few times all day. I take a back pack With basics and any room left is filled with water bottles and snacks and candies. I stop at the dollar general and load up!! I always got hard candy and/or cough drops. The tree lounge is the only way I can set all day, biggest problem is staying awake.

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: tx270] #838834 08/11/09 06:47 PM
L
Lady Archer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Sorry guys...but I can't believe what I'm reading! Up north we sit in a stand, no blind, and hope its less than freezing out so we can get some snow. No heaters, fans, TV (???!!!????), laptop, or books. You take a sandwich, trail mix and gatorade to eat once or twice a day, but other than that you can't move at all. I remember when those little hand-warmer things first came out...greatest things since sliced bread...but I still got ribbed for usin' 'em. I thought y'all were tougher down here in Texas???!!!???

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Lady Archer] #838835 08/11/09 08:02 PM
D
drivingonempty79 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
i think i will bite my tounge this time...

I wish to become immortal and then die.
Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Lady Archer] #838836 08/11/09 08:36 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Lady Archer,

Where have you been? Don't you know that here is Texas we do it bigger and better than anyone else? That also includes hunting in comfort. But we will do it in the rough and tumble way in others states that have not progessed as far as we have in our hunting and we will do it as good...I mean better than them.

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: drivingonempty79] #838837 08/11/09 08:37 PM
B
B-swit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
ive tried sitting all day a couple times and i just cant make it past noon.

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Deerhunter61] #838838 08/11/09 08:43 PM
L
Lady Archer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
LOL...I was just stirrin' the pot. Sorry...I'm a little more used to the TFF and they know I'm a big yankee, but LOVE LOVE LOVE Texas and it's definitely home for me now.

I really am surprised at how y'all hunt down here...but that's why I took up bowhunting. Makes it a little more of a challenge.

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Lady Archer] #838839 08/11/09 08:59 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Challenge? What are you talkin about...we are challenged! We set feeders up 50 yards from our stands, hunt with 338 Mags or bigger so as long as we shoot within 5 yards of the deer the blow by will take em down! Now that is what I call a challenge!

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Deerhunter61] #838840 08/11/09 09:13 PM
L
Lady Archer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Quote:

Challenge? What are you talkin about...we are challenged!

Fixed it for ya!

Last edited by Lady Archer; 08/11/09 09:14 PM.
Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Lady Archer] #838841 08/11/09 09:29 PM
J
jodster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
There is some of us that don't have leases!

Here in Texas early bow season When you got sweat rolling down your face and bugs swarming around your and can't set in the stand until noon because it's hitting the upper 90's and the sun moved and you lost your shade. I wish it was cold or we would at least get a early morning frost to kill a few bugs. One of the things I worry most about when hunting in the heat is my meat spoiling and hunting in the heat isn,t just early bow season. Up north you gut a deer so it will cool down quicker, that don't work unlees you got a bag or block of ice to through in it.

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Deerhunter61] #838842 08/11/09 09:33 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
IF I stay all day I take a nap... several of them!

water, DP, jolly ranchers, cheese crackers, gum,

to pass time I read the Texas Hunting Annual (hunting regulations) over and over, I also take a predator call, grunt call and rattlin horns, binocs and a camera.

I took my girl friend a couple of times that helped pass the time!

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #838843 08/11/09 09:44 PM
D
drivingonempty79 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I didn't want to have to say it but Lady Archer just was asking for it. We do not necessarily go to the lease to get away from it "all", just a few things: traffic, work, city, but mostly importantly WOMEN. Not that I do not love the opposite sex but sometimes I just have to get away from them so I can perhaps catch up on some reading, favorit shows, beer drinking, video games, and shooting the breeze with the boys. So, if i am going to sit in a blind all day then when would be a better oppurtunity to do all these things without women around... There isn't.

I wish to become immortal and then die.
Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: tx270] #838844 08/11/09 09:44 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Quote:

A LAPTOP!!!!!!!????????? LOL! Don't you know the point of hunting is to get away from all the everyday BS distractions!

Whatever happened to a good old fashioned book, made out of real paper and everything?

Just ribbin' ya' rifleman.

Bill

lol, taking 21 hours last fall & this upcoming fall, it's the only way I can actually get anything done, or else I'll get behind and never catch up...b/c I AM GOING HUNTING, no matter what a professor assigns. I've even mastered the art of using a laptop in a climber... I've got skillz! (and when I'm in from school over Christmas break, I like to keep all my friends that are at work updated on what all is stirrin' and how it sucks that they are behind a desk and not out in the woods).

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: rifleman] #838845 08/11/09 09:49 PM
L
Lady Archer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
LOL...79...I don't know about the chicks in Houston, but if they're anything like the ones in Dallas I don't blame you AT ALL for wanting to get away!

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Lady Archer] #838846 08/11/09 11:16 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Now Lady Archer what do you mean talking about the "Ladies" in Dallas like that? They are masters of the concrete jungle...which can be more vicious than anything in the country! They have to deal with broken fingernails among other things! What could possibly be worse than that! And by the way don't you live in the metro? So we have to include you with this group as well....

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Deerhunter61] #838847 08/11/09 11:24 PM
B
BlondeHuntress Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Quote:

Now Lady Archer what do you mean talking about the "Ladies" in Dallas like that? They are masters of the concrete jungle...which can be more vicious than anything in the country! They have to deal with broken fingernails among other things! What could possibly be worse than that! And by the way don't you live in the metro? So we have to include you with this group as well....

You can break a fingernail just as easily hunting as you can shopping...it's just a little further from the nail salon to get a new one put back on!

Live, Laugh, Love, and Hunt with your Husband!
Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: BlondeHuntress] #838848 08/11/09 11:32 PM
L
Lady Archer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
LOL...I'm a transplant and have too many real parts so, unfortunately, I'll never be a "real" Dallas girl.

Similarly though, I think the only thing worse than a Dallas girl is a Dallas guy. What a bunch of frosty-haired, manicured, girly 'men' they have up here!

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Lady Archer] #838849 08/11/09 11:46 PM
B
BlondeHuntress Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Quote:

Similarly though, I think the only thing worse than a Dallas girl is a Dallas guy. What a bunch of frosty-haired, manicured, girly 'men' they have up here!

Hahahaha!! So true!!!!

Live, Laugh, Love, and Hunt with your Husband!
Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: Lady Archer] #838850 08/11/09 11:54 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well I do not actually live in Dallas just in the Metro so I guess you are not talking about me...and although what little hair I have left might be a little frosty it is all natural! And then what is wrong with being a little manicured? I mean everytime I get a nose hair that exceeds 2" I pull it...and that goes for ear hair as well. Now when it comes to bushy eyebrows well since I am a little light on top I am trying to allow the brows to keep growing so I can do a little comb over that want look as bad as those ole guys who pull that one hair from one ear to the other. The part is just going to start a little lower on the forehead.

Re: Hunting ALL DAY long in your stand? If so what do you take to eat etc... [Re: BlondeHuntress] #838851 08/11/09 11:58 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Now Blondehuntress...what do you know about it? You already inculded yourself in the ladies that have to run to the salon for a broken fingernail! AND YOU ARE TALKIN ABOUT US MEN?

So where do you ladies hunt anyway? the zoo?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide