Re: Spray foam [Re: 603Country] #8359216 08/22/21 01:53 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by 603Country
If you have a roof leak with closed cell, the leak will be almost impossible to find. The water won’t penetrate at the point of the leak, like it would with open cell. That was a point strongly made by the technical and sales folks where I worked. It made sense to me then and still does now.

That said, ya’ll do what you want. I’m just sharing what I learned prior to having this house built, and the 12 years of living on it.

That's the same I was told, open cell on the roof and closed on the walls. And I had a roof leak, it was easy to find and repair.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Spray foam [Re: Stompy] #8359254 08/22/21 02:29 PM
Critterskinner Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I have not heard about spraying open cell on the ceiling. Everything I have read is to use closed cell on the ceiling. But it makes sense for finding a leak.

Re: Spray foam [Re: Bee'z] #8359275 08/22/21 02:48 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by 2Beez
Originally Posted by Paluxy
Originally Posted by wburke2010
I’m building a barndominium right now and I am doing one inch of closed cell then 3-4 inches of open cell on top of it.

That's what our builder did on our new office. 1" of closed topped with 4" of open cell

That is how it is supposed to be done. Alot of homes are all open cell and that is not the right way to do it at the end of the day.

Wrong. That first layer of closed cell in the walls is creating too tight of a house. Again, houses have to breathe. Open cell in the walls, closed cell where the foam will be exposed. I’d worry less about a water leak and more about the house breathing as it needs to or you will be dealing with mold and other issues.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Spray foam [Re: Critterskinner] #8359468 08/22/21 05:05 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Well, I’ll say it one more time. I discussed the advantages of open cell vs closed cell with the technical and sales guys where I worked. The Polyurethane Foam was made at our PU plant in Geismar, Louisiana. I knew we had both open and closed to offer, and I had a house about to be built, and foam was going to be the chosen insulation. What I didn’t know was which one to choose. The R value on closed was higher, so I was leaning that way, but the PU guys pushed me to open cell. There were quite a few reasons why, all of which I can’t remember.

Think of closed cell as a hard foam. Open cell is more like a firmer version of Angel Food Cake. It’s easier to get to a problem in or behind open cell.

The thing that surprised me the most was that the foam goes on the underside of the roof, and not on the ceiling. The thought of having no insulation on the ceiling just seemed wrong. The thought of having no soffits also seemed wrong. No roof vents seemed wrong. I had to cross my fingers and hope these folks knew their business, and thankfully, they did.

What now interests me is why any of you really really want closed cell. What will it do for you that open cell won’t? Do you see a real advantage from closed cell? What is it? There is a minor R Value increase in closed cell, but it isn’t significant.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Spray foam [Re: 603Country] #8359766 08/22/21 10:00 PM
Critterskinner Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman

Well, I’ll say it one more time. I discussed the advantages of open cell vs closed cell with the technical and sales guys where I worked. The Polyurethane Foam was made at our PU plant in Geismar, Louisiana. I knew we had both open and closed to offer, and I had a house about to be built, and foam was going to be the chosen insulation. What I didn’t know was which one to choose. The R value on closed was higher, so I was leaning that way, but the PU guys pushed me to open cell. There were quite a few reasons why, all of which I can’t remember.

Think of closed cell as a hard foam. Open cell is more like a firmer version of Angel Food Cake. It’s easier to get to a problem in or behind open cell.

The thing that surprised me the most was that the foam goes on the underside of the roof, and not on the ceiling. The thought of having no insulation on the ceiling just seemed wrong. The thought of having no soffits also seemed wrong. No roof vents seemed wrong. I had to cross my fingers and hope these folks knew their business, and thankfully, they did.

What now interests me is why any of you really really want closed cell. What will it do for you that open cell won’t? Do you see a real advantage from closed cell? What is it? There is a minor R Value increase in closed cell, but it isn’t significant.

One thing I keep being told about the closed cell is that it is good for the shop area because it is not as flammable as open cell foam when exposed on the walls. May or may not be an advantage.

Re: Spray foam [Re: 603Country] #8360045 08/23/21 01:22 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

If you have open cell in your attic, go take a temp reading in there tomorrow around 3pm, I have closed cell in mine, we will see if there is any significant difference.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Spray foam [Re: Critterskinner] #8360047 08/23/21 01:23 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Critterskinner

One thing I keep being told about the closed cell is that it is good for the shop area because it is not as flammable as open cell foam when exposed on the walls. May or may not be an advantage.

There’s truth to that.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Spray foam [Re: Critterskinner] #8360088 08/23/21 01:52 AM
201k Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A house or barndaminion has been to breath. Spray foam contractors want you in spray everything as it’s easier, faster and more money for them. Even when you spray from ventilate the attic. If no air flow you have to put in special ac to bring outside air in. Not rocket science, if not ventilated it will sweat just like an ice chest and condensation will rot interior framing and mildew. Good way is close cell roof and walls. Then frame outside walls, cover with 1/4” double foiled insulation (comes in 4’x100’ rolls) as vapor barrier. Sheetrock over that. You’ll be amazed at your small electric bill. House will breath, you can use conventional ac unit and dead air space in wall is additional insulation. Win win situation. I see metal homes, framed out barns everyday that it’s almost 🌧 raining inside and rots wood framing quick. It’s amazing how quick. Most foam contractors only care about quick money and doing as many as possible. I do think some contractors just don’t care or really know?

Re: Spray foam [Re: BigPig] #8360114 08/23/21 02:11 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by wburke2010
I’m building a barndominium right now and I am doing one inch of closed cell then 3-4 inches of open cell on top of it.

That's what our builder did on our new office. 1" of closed topped with 4" of open cell

That is how it is supposed to be done. Alot of homes are all open cell and that is not the right way to do it at the end of the day.

Wrong. That first layer of closed cell in the walls is creating too tight of a house. Again, houses have to breathe. Open cell in the walls, closed cell where the foam will be exposed. I’d worry less about a water leak and more about the house breathing as it needs to or you will be dealing with mold and other issues.

You know I love calling you a DF and this is just another prime example. If you engineer it the right way and no it is not cheap but yes, I am correct but thank you for trying to look smart Zima boy. We appreciate you thinking you have outsmarted me yet again lol.

[Linked Image]
Re: Spray foam [Re: 201k] #8360115 08/23/21 02:12 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 201k
A house or barndaminion has been to breath. Spray foam contractors want you in spray everything as it’s easier, faster and more money for them. Even when you spray from ventilate the attic. If no air flow you have to put in special ac to bring outside air in. Not rocket science, if not ventilated it will sweat just like an ice chest and condensation will rot interior framing and mildew. Good way is close cell roof and walls. Then frame outside walls, cover with 1/4” double foiled insulation (comes in 4’x100’ rolls) as vapor barrier. Sheetrock over that. You’ll be amazed at your small electric bill. House will breath, you can use conventional ac unit and dead air space in wall is additional insulation. Win win situation. I see metal homes, framed out barns everyday that it’s almost 🌧 raining inside and rots wood framing quick. It’s amazing how quick. Most foam contractors only care about quick money and doing as many as possible. I do think some contractors just don’t care or really know?

Just like ^ ^ sleeping in a sealed up tent. The moisture vapor has to go somewhere

Re: Spray foam [Re: BigPig] #8360133 08/23/21 02:27 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

If you have open cell in your attic, go take a temp reading in there tomorrow around 3pm, I have closed cell in mine, we will see if there is any significant difference.

So you have closed cell on the roof decking of a stick framed home? So far all I've seen in traditional stick framed homes is open cell.

A roof leak will drip through with open cell. We experienced this in the past year and got a new roof. With closed cell I suppose sooner or later a drip will happen. It will soak up a LOT of water and the OSB will turn to mush before the leak.

One of these days you may have a roofer fall from the very top all the way to your living room floor if the decking had been soaking up water for a while. That is if he gets past or breaks through the ceiling joists.

And as far as your temp challenge, do you really expect much difference between close vs. open cell? My open cell attic is in the 80's when it is over 100 outside. A traditional attic can run from 130's to over 150. If your closed cell is five degrees cooler than the open cell is that some kind of chest beating win?

Tell us about that when EMS comes to get a roofer out of your house.

Re: Spray foam [Re: DannyB] #8360170 08/23/21 03:15 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by DannyB

So you have closed cell on the roof decking of a stick framed home? So far all I've seen in traditional stick framed homes is open cell.

A roof leak will drip through with open cell. We experienced this in the past year and got a new roof. With closed cell I suppose sooner or later a drip will happen. It will soak up a LOT of water and the OSB will turn to mush before the leak.

One of these days you may have a roofer fall from the very top all the way to your living room floor if the decking had been soaking up water for a while. That is if he gets past or breaks through the ceiling joists.

And as far as your temp challenge, do you really expect much difference between close vs. open cell? My open cell attic is in the 80's when it is over 100 outside. A traditional attic can run from 130's to over 150. If your closed cell is five degrees cooler than the open cell is that some kind of chest beating win?

Not worried about anybody falling through as long as I’ll live here.

I’m just honestly curious about the difference, if any.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Spray foam [Re: Bee'z] #8360172 08/23/21 03:18 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

You know I love calling you a DF and this is just another prime example. If you engineer it the right way and no it is not cheap but yes, I am correct but thank you for trying to look smart Zima boy. We appreciate you thinking you have outsmarted me yet again lol.

Oh please, so tell me what your house is insulated with and how many homes you’ve lived in with foam. How many have been present for the design and installation? Your information is nothing more than hearsay. Nice try though

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Spray foam [Re: BigPig] #8360175 08/23/21 03:29 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Not worried about anybody falling through as long as I’ll live here.

I’m just honestly curious about the difference, if any.

Open cell is porous. Closed cell is some very strong glue like insulation. They each have their place.

I don't claim to be an engineer. I just know what I have observed in over thirty years of building.

If I was building a metal building tomorrow it would get closed cell and call it a day.

And as far as the OP, he could probably have a cardboard box inside of that "envelope" and be reasonably efficient.

Insulation and air tight can be an overkill problem.

This is Texas. Focus on the attic, windows, and you are most of the way there. Spend as much as you want on that road to diminishing returns.

Re: Spray foam [Re: Critterskinner] #8360181 08/23/21 03:35 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Take a picture of your attic tomorrow and post it. My house was built in 96 focker so it is crap and you know that lol. Seriously take a pic and send it either to me or this thread.

[Linked Image]
Re: Spray foam [Re: Bee'z] #8360196 08/23/21 03:48 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Take a picture of your attic tomorrow and post it. My house was built in 96 focker so it is crap and you know that lol. Seriously take a pic and send it either to me or this thread.

Have you had foam done as a retrofit? I would really like to know your experience.

Honestly, this isn't some smart [censored] reply here. I've heard everything and don't know what to think anymore.

I've had one insulator tell me that they go in and vacuum out the previous blown in insulation and then do the foam. I'm subject to doing another flip home and would like to know if you did do a retro and if you are happy with your energy bills.

Re: Spray foam [Re: DannyB] #8360201 08/23/21 03:53 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

Have you had foam done as a retrofit? I would really like to know your experience.

Honestly, this isn't some smart [censored] reply here. I've heard everything and don't know what to think anymore.

I've had one insulator tell me that they go in and vacuum out the previous blown in insulation and then do the foam. I'm subject to doing another flip home and would like to know if you did do a retro and if you are happy with your energy bills.

I have not and did not see that as a smart arse post at all Sir. On my house it would not be cost effective and many flips it just isnt. You need in the bones to do that and this house is not a POS so that is not feasible. I could blow more in but spray foaming is just not the right call. Tuesday we will have a ground breaking post on this I hope.

[Linked Image]
Re: Spray foam [Re: Critterskinner] #8360206 08/23/21 04:01 AM
201k Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Too many experts for me. I should have known better. I just know what doesn’t and doesn’t work. Just trying to help. That’s why you see so many mistakes. LOL MAGA

Re: Spray foam [Re: 201k] #8360210 08/23/21 04:05 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by 201k
Too many experts for me. I should have known better. I just know what doesn’t and doesn’t work. Just trying to help. That’s why you see so many mistakes. LOL MAGA

Im not an expert but I think your last post was correct. If it is engeneered right it works but insulatiors are idiots for the most part and they do not do it right 95% of the time so you have to stay on top of them.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide