Forums46
Topics539,492
Posts9,750,312
Members87,166
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: Mike Honcho] #8341873 08/05/21 12:30 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Can you just own a cooler without hashtagging and “supporting” them?

This world done gone crazy

X2

Seriously, not everything has to have some angle, stance, position, cause, blah, blah, blah. It’s a freaking cooler! Get what works and fits your budget and be done with it. You refuse to give Bison anymore money but you’ll keep the cooler? It’s a rhetorical question. This is like all the people that are adamant about how bad the bail out for GM was to this country but continually buy them because they like them. If someone is going to take a stance and “support” or not support a company take it all the way!

When it's a want over a need I think we can be not intentional with our money. No one has to be, but I choose to be.
You do you, I'll do me.
Just like Nike gear, when they went all blm on us, I already owned Nike. I wasn't going to go burn the stuff, but I don't have to support them with my dollars anymore.

Last edited by KWood_TSU; 08/05/21 12:32 PM.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8341875 08/05/21 12:31 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Igloo. Made right here in Katy, TX

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8341879 08/05/21 12:31 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Then again how often are you buying coolers to have to continually support one company? I know accidents happen, but hell the way they are built these days I’ll have mine for a loooioong time before replacing.

It's not really the cooler, it's the gear they provide that will continuously be bought. Waterproof backpacks, etc.

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8341880 08/05/21 12:32 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Grizzly is about pro God and Guns you can get.

Thanks Bobo, I'll give them a look.

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8341892 08/05/21 12:54 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
All the ones I have HEB's Kodie brand. We get a discount on them and they are more reasonable priced than a lot of them as it is. Seems as the roto molded coolers are a buy once cry once kind of thing, I wont be looking to replace any for probably decades.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8341909 08/05/21 01:12 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Did not know that. Cool

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8341919 08/05/21 01:22 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Pretty well stocked.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: Bullfrog] #8341924 08/05/21 01:25 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Bullfrog

Did not know that. Cool

Have you ever been to the store there that is open on Saturday?

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8341927 08/05/21 01:30 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
A lot of the Yeti knock-offs aren't that much less than an actual Yeti. My first Tundra 85 is about 11 years old and the only thing I've had to replace is a latch. I admit I don't know about many of these smaller companies, but my 7 Yeti's have never failed. And when I sold 2 coolers in the last couple years, they definitely hold their resale value.

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8341959 08/05/21 01:55 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Did not know that. Cool

Yes, you can buy QC rejects with nothing wrong for pennies on the dollar. Bought a 165 qt. 8 or so years ago for 50 bucks. Still use it. Have a couple others as well.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8341972 08/05/21 02:08 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Did not know that. Cool

I have been to their warehouse several times. You.? confused2

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8342016 08/05/21 02:54 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Sounds like this is all about finding a new hashtag for a signature roflmao

I don't know about any of these regarding wokeness, you can do your own digging there. Kong coolers get a lot of positive reviews and is a USA made cooler. ORCA is another that is USA made and supposedly was the gold standard in ice retention prior to Kong. Otterbox coolers are supposedly pretty impressive with ice retention and USA made but I've not seen anywhere in a LONG time.

Good luck in your search.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8342037 08/05/21 03:17 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
^^ nailed it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8342048 08/05/21 03:30 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Its been many many years since I bought two Yetis at their Austin homebase. They were some type of "seconds" that they said was only cosmetic. They have been indestructible. We have used them several times to prop up one end of a full size tower blind while strapped down and transported. Never ever had a hinge or latch or anything break.
As for ice retention, I really have my doubts. I have never done a side by side comparison but it doesnt seem any better than a cheapo cooler. I always buy two large bags of ice at Bucees and put in one of them and it basically fills the cooler. Nothing else in the cooler and lid stays closed for two days. After two days I open the cooler and almost completely all ice melted. Thats not anything special, right? Maybe defective...?

Last edited by freerange; 08/05/21 03:31 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: BigPig] #8342064 08/05/21 03:50 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BigPig
My Rtic’s have never failed me confused2

Me either. My Yeti got stolen.

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8342069 08/05/21 03:52 PM
S
Safety1st Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Bison Coolers are made in Ft. Worth, TX and are awesome coolers! Check them out! You won't be disappointed.

To thine own self be true
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: freerange] #8342073 08/05/21 03:59 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by freerange
As for ice retention, I really have my doubts. I have never done a side by side comparison but it doesnt seem any better than a cheapo cooler. I always buy two large bags of ice at Bucees and put in one of them and it basically fills the cooler. Nothing else in the cooler and lid stays closed for two days. After two days I open the cooler and almost completely all ice melted. Thats not anything special, right? Maybe defective...?

I have done some reading on this in regards to your ice retention. They suggest you condition the cooler before long term use to keep things cold, clearly throwing ice into a warm cooler and think its going to hold for a couple of days isn't going to work. Depending on the weather and knowing where I am going if I know the cooler will be exposed to the heat, Ill bring it in the night before using it and put in frozen gallon jugs to actually cool it down. So when I go to load it will help the ice actually last a bit longer.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: freerange] #8342074 08/05/21 04:00 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Its been many many years since I bought two Yetis at their Austin homebase. They were some type of "seconds" that they said was only cosmetic. They have been indestructible. We have used them several times to prop up one end of a full size tower blind while strapped down and transported. Never ever had a hinge or latch or anything break.

It sounds like your coolers weren't just cosmetic blems. If you fill the cooler and don't open it for two days you should have probably 60-70% ice remaining at a minimum. Put the cooler in a dark room, put a flashlight in it, shut the lid, and see if you can see any light around the seal. Sounds like you're getting air in there.

I bought a first generation Pelican when they very first came out at an introductory price. Been 100% happy with it. A few years later I got a 55qt Lifetime cooler at Walmart while on a road trip. Having it in the back of the truck next to my Pelican, there's very little difference in retention between the two. Certainly not enough difference to justify the cost difference. Both are made in the USA. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have just bought 2 of the Lifetime to start with. If they come out with a 90 qt, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8342079 08/05/21 04:09 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Depending on the weather and knowing where I am going if I know the cooler will be exposed to the heat, Ill bring it in the night before using it and put in frozen gallon jugs to actually cool it down. So when I go to load it will help the ice actually last a bit longer.

The other thing you can do is take a cake pan (one of the ones that's got the 2-3 inch sides), fill it with ice cubes, then the rest of the way with water, and put it in the freezer. Make a couple of those blocks. When you get ready to fill the cooler, put the blocks on the bottom, load the cooler, and then top off with ice like normal. The big chunks on the bottom won't melt in the ice water nearly as quickly, and you'll get an extra day or so out of your bagged ice. You gotta do the ice cubes and water, though, because trying to freeze a cake pan full of water will make it freeze unevenly and the block will crack.

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: freerange] #8342095 08/05/21 04:25 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

Like Herbie Hancock said, if the cooler was warm/hot when you put ice in it, the ice is going to melt faster. I'm loading up a Yeti tonight with food that needs to stay cold for a couple days, so I'll bring it inside out of my hot garage this afternoon and put some ice in there before I put the food and ice packs in.

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8342166 08/05/21 05:35 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I agree that its supposed to help to do some type prechilling of the cooler, but that should/would apply to a cheap cooler or expensive either way would it not.
I do the prechilling sometimes but its a hassle. My point is that whether you prechill both a yeti and a cheapo or whether you dont, I dont think my Yeti will hold ice any longer than a cheapo.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8342180 08/05/21 05:46 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

igloo, made in the USA since 1947.

But I buy them because of their size, design and cost.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8342199 08/05/21 05:58 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I keep 1 and 2 liter bottles filled with water in the freezer, a couple of hours before we are ready to leave I put several in the cooler to pre cool it. When ready to pack the cooler I replace them with fresh frozen bottles. pack the food and drinks and place some 1 liter and 16 oz frozen bottles on top. The melted frozen water usually provides plenty of water for washing and cleaning. And little water mess in that cooler.

For crushed ice I do about the same, precool it, then add a couple of frozen bottles a bag of ice and some more 16oz frozen bottles on top. Keeping the coolers full allows less warm air to enter the cooler and melt the ice.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8342202 08/05/21 06:00 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Yep. Driven by there many times. We have a yard down the road from it.

Re: American made cooler companies? [Re: Bullfrog] #8342221 08/05/21 06:21 PM
R
rclee Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R

I bought their 45's for the kids 3-4 years ago. Have held up well and seem well built. I have never done a comparison test with my RTIC but would lean toward the Kenai if my RTIC's walk away. I've been looking at their 25 for a smaller one. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I believe they are a low end division of Grizzly Coolers. The address of both companies are identical. They don't have some of the "bear proof" features but I don't need that for fishing the Texas coast.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide