Page 1 of 2 1 2
National Parks and timed entry #8282066 06/01/21 04:47 PM
S
Stevarino Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Just a public service announcement. If you’re planning to visit a National Park this summer, you may want to check recreation.gov for reservation needs. Rocky Mountain national park just opened their timed entry windows this morning for all of July. Most of the early time slots are already sold out. We also looked at Zion last night and appeared to sell out quickly as well.
There’s going to be a lot of pissed off folks who’ve spent the time and money to travel to these parks only to be denied entry..

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282071 06/01/21 04:51 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The news reports that parks visiting and camping will be at an all time high this summer.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282079 06/01/21 05:00 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
We cancelled our plans to go to RMNP in Estes Park because of the reservation system. We have been numerous times and won`t go back until you can enter whenever you want. Already rented a house in Cloudcroft for much less money and not near as far. Get to see the horses race in Ruidoso to. banana2

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282081 06/01/21 05:02 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding this 'timed entry' thing?

Is it because of Covid or why are they doing this now?

I mean don't get me wrong because I'm sure it is for all of our own good if this is part of Sleepy Joe's plan!

eek2

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282087 06/01/21 05:06 PM
S
Stevarino Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Yeah, rv sales and reservations are through the roof. It’s difficult to find a reservation at a Texas state park.

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8282088 06/01/21 05:08 PM
S
Stevarino Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding this 'timed entry' thing?

Is it because of Covid or why are they doing this now?

I mean don't get me wrong because I'm sure it is for all of our own good if this is part of Sleepy Joe's plan!

eek2

That’s what I assume is driving it.. it was this way last year as well and talk that they wouldn’t have it this year.

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282099 06/01/21 05:16 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I'm all for it and hope they never go back. The more popular park, RMNP, Yellowstone, etc., are absolutely awful in the summer with the overcrowding. They are just too popular to let everyone in whenever they want, as it ends up making it miserable for everyone. 2+ hour waits to get in the gate of RMNP is an awful way to spend a vacation, but is normal in the summer months. The system needs some tweaking, but for places that popular, something is necessary to limit overcrowding.

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: SherpaPhil] #8282112 06/01/21 05:28 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
I'm all for it and hope they never go back. The more popular park, RMNP, Yellowstone, etc., are absolutely awful in the summer with the overcrowding. They are just too popular to let everyone in whenever they want, as it ends up making it miserable for everyone. 2+ hour waits to get in the gate of RMNP is an awful way to spend a vacation, but is normal in the summer months. The system needs some tweaking, but for places that popular, something is necessary to limit overcrowding.

A.. Traffic in Yellowstone was bad enough in September when we went in 2014. No way I would ever go in the summer when school was out.

B.. We go to RMNP in the middle of September to see the Elk rutting. Never thought the traffic was to bad and I am inpatient . Al least you don`t have to wait an hour+ for 1 stupid Buffalo to get out of the road.

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: TPACK] #8282115 06/01/21 05:34 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TPACK

A.. Traffic in Yellowstone was bad enough in September when we went in 2014. No way I would ever go in the summer when school was out.

B.. We go to RMNP in the middle of September to see the Elk rutting. Never thought the traffic was to bad and I am inpatient . Al least you don`t have to wait an hour+ for 1 stupid Buffalo to get out of the road.

I'm with you. I only go to the popular parks during shoulder seasons because of the crowding, but I would love to be able to go when the kids aren't in school. I have to book hotels, airfare, time off work, etc., all in advance. To me, getting a reservation time at the park isn't a huge deal if it means the experience will be much better.

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282121 06/01/21 05:40 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We did the timed entry last summer for day use at Garner State Park, we have been staying outside the park for a few years now so if we can't get a water only campsite we use the day pass. Prior to them going to online timed entry you had to get your but up early and get in line with the rest of the world and hope to god you were going to get in.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282122 06/01/21 05:40 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Texas state parks are also making it harder on "no-shows" and opening up their slot if they don't arrive by noon the next day. That's a good thing.

The timed entry is a good thing. The only way to manage the numbers.

To be determined
Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282123 06/01/21 05:41 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

No way. Home is great.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8282125 06/01/21 05:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Texas state parks are also making it harder on "no-shows" and opening up their slot if they don't arrive by noon the next day. That's a good thing.

Dinosaur Valley state park was this way this weekend. Although private, fossil rim was same way

I don’t think it’s a good thing in any form. It’s public land, held in trust for the public. I’d disband the communist NPS anyway. Should all fall under NFS

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282131 06/01/21 05:49 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I'm all for it. I've been saying for awhile that National Parks should either have reservations for a maximum people per day or make the entry fees about 5x higher.

Go hike Angels Landing if you disagree. You and the 17,000 other people on the trail at one time will have fun

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: reeltexan] #8282133 06/01/21 05:51 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by reeltexan

No way. Home is great.

I'm staying right cheer. Family is coming to me.
cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8282148 06/01/21 06:02 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
We did the timed entry last summer for day use at Garner State Park, we have been staying outside the park for a few years now so if we can't get a water only campsite we use the day pass. Prior to them going to online timed entry you had to get your but up early and get in line with the rest of the world and hope to god you were going to get in.

We went to Garner 25 years ago, not knowing what to expect. Had to take a # and wait way to long to find out we could not get a site. Ended up leaving and staying at a private CG on the Frio. To many people and we never went back.

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282149 06/01/21 06:03 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We were recently in Zion. I suppose the reservation thing is for summer time.

It was really crowded, so I can only imagine how it might get in the summer, when school is out. But, if you do go there, Flanigan’s Inn is a great place to stay. Expensive, as is the restaurant on site. And for breakfast, there’s a place a mile or so from Flanigan’s, in the direction away from the park entrance, that was terrific and not overpriced.

Last edited by 603Country; 06/01/21 06:08 PM.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Dustnsand] #8282163 06/01/21 06:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by z71dustin
I'm all for it. I've been saying for awhile that National Parks should either have reservations for a maximum people per day or make the entry fees about 5x higher.

Go hike Angels Landing if you disagree. You and the 17,000 other people on the trail at one time will have fun

Any major National Forest trail with in 1hr of Denver is same way.

Becareful what you wish for

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282165 06/01/21 06:25 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
You can always try "boondocking". I hear Walmart let's people do it all the time.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282181 06/01/21 06:43 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I just got back from Colorado. Missed the.timed entry by two days fortunately. Rocky mountain national park is beautiful. Saw lots of elk, mule deer and mountain goats. Was in the park on May 25 and 26. No wait at all to get in. Not crowded at all.

Last edited by Nathan at Fork; 06/01/21 06:54 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8282185 06/01/21 06:46 PM
E
Espy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

Dinosaur Valley state park was this way this weekend. Although private, fossil rim was same way

I don’t think it’s a good thing in any form. It’s public land, held in trust for the public. I’d disband the communist NPS anyway. Should all fall under NFS

Some friends went a couple weeks ago for a day trip. They had to wait a few hours. They were given a time when they could enter the park.

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: SherpaPhil] #8282205 06/01/21 07:09 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

PSA, traveled through Glacier and Yellowstone last summer. If you get there before 7am there isn't anyone to keep you from driving in... up

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: Stevarino] #8282208 06/01/21 07:12 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Early to rise...................

[Linked Image]

Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: TPACK] #8282246 06/01/21 08:03 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TPACK
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

We went to Garner 25 years ago, not knowing what to expect. Had to take a # and wait way to long to find out we could not get a site. Ended up leaving and staying at a private CG on the Frio. To many people and we never went back.

Yeah, I saw it once too. Don't need to be in the masses anywhere. I don't do well. Wait 'til all our new arrivals at the border hear about it!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: National Parks and timed entry [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8282289 06/01/21 08:59 PM
S
Stevarino Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

PSA, traveled through Glacier and Yellowstone last summer. If you get there before 7am there isn't anyone to keep you from driving in... up

Same with Rocky Mountain National Park, but after 6pm or before 5 am

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide