Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Invites ta hunt [Re: 1860.colt] #8275779 05/25/21 08:33 AM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
While being invited to hunt on someone's property is a great privilege being invited BACK is even better. Whether or not you get invited back depends on how you conduct your self. Being polite and courteous is a good start. More importantly, I think, is:
- Do you respect the farmer's property and his rules? (Did you even ask about them?)
- Are you ultra safety-conscious with your firearms? And with fires?
- Do you display a respect for nature? (Most farmers I know appreciate people who respect nature)
- Do you close all gates behind you that you found closed?
- Do you pick up ALL your litter, cartridge cases etc?
- Do you practice restraint? E.g. Farmer says that the squirrels don't bother him but you can shoot some if you like. And you shoot 20. Vermin are another matter.
- Do you let the farmer know if you wounded an animal and cannot find it? They are going to find out anyway.

I always take a small gift when I go to the farms that I have been invited back to. The farmers don't expect anything - other than what I listed above - but it's always nice to drop off a cake for them to have with their tea, or a few packs of the game sausage I made from a previous hunt that they can enjoy on the barbeque later, or a bottle of wine that you know they enjoy. One farmer I visit sooo appreciates me bringing him the Sunday paper as he gets it early and doesn't have to drive to town. If I'm only doing a day hunt and I get to the farm too early and don't want to wake up the farmer then I simply leave the gift nearby (on the porch, at the gate, in the barn) and message him later. I also keep in touch with the farmers. I give them a call outside of the hunting season to see how they are doing and always wish them on Christmas and Easter. I also send them photos of the kids enjoying the farm, interesting sightings etc. And of course report/send photos of sick animals, broken fences, leaking waterpipes etc. I put in the effort to maintain a good relationship with the farmer and I don't take risks that might jeopardise that. For instance, I will not let any of my friends go alone to the properties I have access to. Neither will I ever go alone to one of "their" properties. It's cleaner and safer that way, in my opinion. If anything goes wrong on the farm at least I know that none of my friend's were responsible. I have been given permission to hunt there and I can't extend that invitation to others. It's not my farm.

I am very blessed to have open invitations to hunt 4 different properties. This is indeed priceless. Hunting has become very commercial in SA. We don't have vast tracts of public land that we can hunt. Whether you are hunting public land or commercial game farm there are so many rules that you need to abide by which the state/farmers put in place to protect the property and the hunter. This includes having a guide, being told which area is to be hunted and what times hunting takes place. So when you have an invitation to hunt on someone's property, where there are basic rules and then you are left to your own devices, to hunt wherever, whenever and however you want then you treat that as gold.

Re: Invites ta hunt [Re: 1860.colt] #8275836 05/25/21 11:40 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’m lucky enough to have three places I can deer hunt whenever I want to for free. I usually have several quail leases and invite friends when there are bird to hunt.

Re: Invites ta hunt [Re: 1860.colt] #8276000 05/25/21 02:10 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I got invited to dove hunt with Pitchfork Predator several years ago. I got to meet SapperTitan, Erath Kid and several others. I feel I made some really good friends out of the deal. I've had Little Sapper out to my place to take a couple of bucks and several other kids to hunt over the years. I feel pretty fortunate to have a place I can share with family and friends. Watch out for Pitchfork Predator though, he tends to get us stuck in the mud every time I go out there roflmao

Re: Invites ta hunt [Re: westtexaswatkins] #8276365 05/25/21 08:01 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by westtexaswatkins
I got invited to dove hunt with Pitchfork Predator several years ago. I got to meet SapperTitan, Erath Kid and several others. I feel I made some really good friends out of the deal. I've had Little Sapper out to my place to take a couple of bucks and several other kids to hunt over the years. I feel pretty fortunate to have a place I can share with family and friends. Watch out for Pitchfork Predator though, he tends to get us stuck in the mud every time I go out there roflmao

......we are overdue for a ride in the UTV when it gets a little warmer and we can take a 5 mile ride from camp and go find a mudhole in the middle of the desert, lol............ roflmao

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Invites ta hunt [Re: 1860.colt] #8276666 05/26/21 01:01 AM
1860.colt Offline OP
emoji colt.45
OP Offline
emoji colt.45
cheers sounds like some cool times..
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Invites ta hunt [Re: 1860.colt] #8280299 05/30/21 03:59 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I ticked off pretty much everyone on here that might invite me to hunt. I still got invited to go smile. But I just couldn’t get away from my job long enough to go.

I haven’t had a place to invite people to. But if you are looking for a nice public spot close to the metro mess I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 05/30/21 04:01 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Invites ta hunt [Re: 1860.colt] #8280721 05/30/21 09:32 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have had several perennial hunters. They are 21 year olds that showed up with dads when they were about 11. They were school friends of my Grandson who now seldom hunts. And then, I’ve ran 2 off for being smartasses when I asked for help on various things.

Now, only one comes and he is a good one. Of course, he brings his fiancé along. She bow hunts and is ok.

Gotta have a talk with my 21 year old Grandson. Once a year, he has 5 or 6 buddies up for a weekend of male bonding. They do some shooting and later some beer drinking, etc. I’ve known several of them since their diaper days. The talk will be about picking up their brass. I’ve picked most of it up again and put it in a pile for them. But then I’ve never taught them to police the area. But, I’m gonna.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 05/30/21 09:40 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Invites ta hunt [Re: 1860.colt] #8280811 05/31/21 12:14 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
My wife's family has a Ranch outside of Corsicana. Every year, we invite some of the kids friends and families down for the Jan youth season.
I also hunt on a ranch in far N Ok. The owner is a close friend of my Dad's. I have been hunting there since I was 10, and I have carte blanche to hunt or fish there whenever I wish. I only have to notify him when I'm going. He has given my sister and bro in law carte blanche as well. His only rule is no guests. He will allow us to break that rule on one condition. If we are planning a father/son or father/daughter weekend, he will allow guests then. He's a big proponent of kids being involved in camping, fishing, and hunting. He's even let us build a little shack up there. I'm so unbelievably blessed.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide