Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! #8264315 05/12/21 09:38 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Small pond(90'ish across) in front of my house(in town) serves no purpose for me except looks.
It catches a tremendous amount of storm water runoff from the whole neighborhood. The volume sometimes overwhelms the pond very quickly.
For many years if was fine but maybe new construction upstream increased the volume as well as filled in the pond....
Evidently it was originally designed to just overflow over the lowest backside of the tank dam and run a short distance over grass and into a big ditch that continues through the neighborhood.
Recently the water is doing its thing and getting worse each storm. I assume it will continue to widen the damage and eventually break the dam.
Im trying to see if the City will come out and take any responsibility.

Would a landscaper be who could come fix the issue with the "spillway"?
Do I need a heavy equipment guy to deal with it and maybe dig out the pond as well?
Pics to follow in just one minute, so hold on. Thanks in advance for any advice.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264320 05/12/21 09:42 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
During the hard rain.
[Linked Image]

After the rain.
[Linked Image]

Coming into pond from street.
[Linked Image]

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264321 05/12/21 09:42 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Is it on your property or just in your subdivision? If you have an HOA it may be their responsibility.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264322 05/12/21 09:43 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
It is my property.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264323 05/12/21 09:44 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It is a damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you do anything it will probably affect someone elses property, then you have that problem to deal with.

Last edited by dogcatcher; 05/12/21 09:46 PM.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264325 05/12/21 09:48 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We have a concrete spillway across the end of mine.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264328 05/12/21 09:50 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Is it any type of recorded drainage easement? If its not I doubt the city will want anything to do with it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264348 05/12/21 10:12 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’ve fixed a bunch of those over the years, are you looking for the cheapest fix or the best?

A landscaper isn’t the one to fix that IMO, your going to need a mini excavator and a skid steer. I don’t know of any landscapers with the knowledge of how to fix that but I’m sure theirs one out thr. If it was my money I’d want someone familiar with moving water or you will be back right where you are after a few storms. Your getting a ton of run off and your very close to it blowing the whole thing out as you know, the sooner you fix it the cheaters it’s going to be.

I’d be contacting the city about the run off myself, im sure they will take the it’s not my problem approach but if you damned up the upper end of it you can bet they’d be concerned.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264353 05/12/21 10:15 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by freerange

Evidently it was originally designed to just overflow over the lowest backside of the tank dam and run a short distance over grass and into a big ditch that continues through the neighborhood.

Distance from the pond dam to the big ditch? Would an 18" or 24" culvert be big enough to catch the overflow? A buried culvert with a grate on both ends to keep trash and critters out of the culvert. Then cover it over with fill dirt.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: Ol Thumper] #8264354 05/12/21 10:19 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I’ve fixed a bunch of those over the years, are you looking for the cheapest fix or the best?

A landscaper isn’t the one to fix that IMO, your going to need a mini excavator and a skid steer. I don’t know of any landscapers with the knowledge of how to fix that but I’m sure theirs one out thr. If it was my money I’d want someone familiar with moving water or you will be back right where you are after a few storms. Your getting a ton of run off and your very close to it blowing the whole thing out as you know, the sooner you fix it the cheaters it’s going to be.

I’d be contacting the city about the run off myself, im sure they will take the it’s not my problem approach but if you damned up the upper end of it you can bet they’d be concerned.

Ol Thumber I agree with everything you said. I talked to one landscaper and I think his proposed fix would last about as long as you suggested.
I have contacted the City and they were supposed to come out but Im having to recall. They werent optimistic.
I dont have to have the best and Im afraid of the cheapest. You may be too far away but I would love you to look at it or at least give me specific advice so I know how to talk to the right people.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: dogcatcher] #8264357 05/12/21 10:23 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

Distance from the pond dam to the big ditch? Would an 18" or 24" culvert be big enough to catch the overflow? A buried culvert with a grate on both ends to keep trash and critters out of the culvert. Then cover it over with fill dirt.

It will still need a spillway, the first time your grate clogs up its game over again, the lack of a proper spillway is the number 1 cause of dam failures to begin with as his pictures prove. I would bypass the pipe all together and build a proper spillway to the ditch and be done with it.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264362 05/12/21 10:27 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Personally I think you are SOL. Your best bet is to get it filled in and let the water spread out.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: Ol Thumper] #8264364 05/12/21 10:29 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

This - landscaper would not have a clue - go to www.pondboss.com and go onto their forum - there are tons of experts on there when it comes to ponds - post your pics, etc. on there and ask the same questions there- it is the best pond resource by far IMO -there are folks on there who can answer your questions who are pros

Last edited by tlk; 05/12/21 10:32 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264377 05/12/21 10:38 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
I am just curious, how deep is the pond?

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: Superduty] #8264383 05/12/21 10:48 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I sent you a pm, were to backed up to fix it but I’ll gladly steer you in the right direction on how to fix the problem.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am just curious, how deep is the pond?
With that run off I can all but guarantee you it’s silted in BAD and not deep. I’d be shocked if it were 5-6’ in the middle.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: Ol Thumper] #8264394 05/12/21 10:56 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

It will still need a spillway, the first time your grate clogs up its game over again, the lack of a proper spillway is the number 1 cause of dam failures to begin with as his pictures prove. I would bypass the pipe all together and build a proper spillway to the ditch and be done with it.

Cost???? Ballpark.....

To the rest... Theres not an easement that Im aware of but not certain. Bill, a concrete spillway would probably do it but Im hoping theres a cheaper way. Its worked fine without one for at least a dozen years. Dog, a culvert theoretically would work if the flow over the dam wasnt so fast and volumous and wide. Think about pouring a pitcher of water into a straw. Most would not go through the straw. Same thing with some type of homemade/cheap spillway cause you need some type of wide mouth/funnel to channel it into the pipe. tlk, thanks I will look up that pondboss. It couldnt be deep at all, never checked.
Got interrupted typing this so I may be behind some posts.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264397 05/12/21 11:03 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Just my opinion, if it's 2-3 feet deep who cares even if it "breaks" the runoff would not be a worry, unless of course you are wanting the pond feature for yourself. Did you dig the pond or was it there when you moved in? Sediment has probably raised the depth as well.

Also, the city has diverted the water to your specific property and they might be accountable, unless of course you built the concrete drain into your pond.

Again, I know nothing just throwing it out there.

Add: it is nice..love to have something like that.

Last edited by Superduty; 05/12/21 11:04 PM.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: Superduty] #8264407 05/12/21 11:16 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Superduty
Just my opinion, if it's 2-3 feet deep who cares even if it "breaks" the runoff would not be a worry, unless of course you are wanting the pond feature for yourself. Did you dig the pond or was it there when you moved in? Sediment has probably raised the depth as well.

Also, the city has diverted the water to your specific property and they might be accountable, unless of course you built the concrete drain into your pond.

Again, I know nothing just throwing it out there.

Add: it is nice..love to have something like that.

Some good thoughts, Super. The pond is very nice and im sure would be appreciated by any future buyers if/when that happened, so I want it to stay. The house was probably built when it was outside the city limits and no other houses were around. Long before me I assume the concrete drainage was put in by the City and probably the pond was built at same time, either by landowner or some cooperative effort. Then came the neighborhood and it wasnt designed for this but it has lasted at least 12 or more years(likely many more) without any problems or maintenance. The storm water is always dirty so the sediment has filled in badly Im sure.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264409 05/12/21 11:19 PM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You are fixing to loose the spillway and the pond.

Make America Great Again

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264411 05/12/21 11:25 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
I had a very similar issue. Drained 3 feet of water out of my pond and them installed a 24in culvert through my damn. Water passes straight through and into a ditch on the backside of my damn now. I'm guessing you'll need a mini-excavator and maybe an 18-24 in pipe to cure your problem. It's really not too expensive of a DIY fix.

[Linked Image]

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264413 05/12/21 11:27 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Shoot an air view picture. A thought, fill the area in behind the dam to the level of the dam, so the water won't be flowing into a ditch, just rising over that area.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: dkershen] #8264418 05/12/21 11:31 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dkershen
I had a very similar issue. Drained 3 feet of water out of my pond and them installed a 24in culvert through my damn. Water passes straight through and into a ditch on the backside of my damn now. I'm guessing you'll need a mini-excavator and maybe an 18-24 in pipe to cure your problem. It's really not too expensive of a DIY fix.

[Linked Image]

I have a culvert as well as the concrete spillway. Both bases covered. Belt and suspenders.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: dkershen] #8264422 05/12/21 11:34 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by dkershen

[Linked Image]

Is that a turtle by the blue flag?

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264431 05/12/21 11:47 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The turtle is headed for higher ground.

Re: Pond erosion/drainage issue- help! [Re: freerange] #8264445 05/13/21 12:02 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Superduty=noticer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide