Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: MacD37] #824501 08/03/09 12:06 AM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Quote:

Quote:

If I were to see a buck jump my fence and take 10 steps and Kaboom, I would be mad as hell. Obviously the neighbor is hunting my fenceline.

If the fence seperates your property from his, then how is it only your fence line? If a buck jumps that fence, and takes even one step onto his property you have no say in the matter, the buck is on HIS land, not your's. If you wanted him why didn't you shoot him while he was on YOUR land? NOW if the buck is an illegal one, then call the GW or shut up, what he does on his own property has nothing to do with you as long as he is breaking no law!

Personally I would not even think about shooting a deer that was 8pt. and 10" or 12". In an AR county, this buck would be illegal to shoot regardless of who's side of the fence he was on. With that said, If I saw him cruise by my blind and jump the fence and the neighbor killed him, yes I would call the Warden. Was the deer on my land, NO. Did the neighbor break the Game Laws of the State, YES!

There is "Operation Game Theif" with a 800#, that was put into place to handle situations just as this. That is what it is for.

"call the GW or shut up" ???????? WTF??

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: moderno] #824502 08/03/09 12:36 AM
D
daulongranch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
"Hello, Game Warden. I'd like to report someone shooting undersized deer." No doubt about it.

daulongranch - Live in Rowlett - Ranch in Concho County

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-- Thomas Jefferson
Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: KellyAsh] #824503 08/03/09 12:44 AM
C
cuzins8 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Quote:

I voted to let it slide because in this scenario I viewed this rack from a distance and not with a tape measure. I have zero proof of ANY violation.

To call the GW based on the scenario provided would be irresponsible, IMO.

A GWs time is entirely too valuable to go wasting it everytime I THINK I see some infraction.

Not to mention how stupid would I look, and how peeved will that GW be at me for accusing people of poaching without proof?

As stated MULTIPLE times before, this thread is about you SEEING a neighbor shoot a buck that is 110% without a doubt UNDERSIZED.
The GW would be happy to hear from you about something like this!

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: CTK3] #824504 08/03/09 12:47 AM
C
cuzins8 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Quote:

I wouldn't say anything. AR's are bullshit anyway, and besides that it's none of my biz what people do on their side of the fence.

And like other people have said, I wouldn't want the game warden lingering around my area.

This says to us that this may be something you would do when nobody is looking. Is it your business if someone is shooting every deer they see out of season too? How bout if they are stealing YOUR cattle that got on THEIR property?
You don't agree with the law to such a degree that you wouldn't report it and WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT THE GW "lingering" AROUND YOUR AREA???

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: cuzins8] #824505 08/03/09 01:09 AM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I found a dead doe in the lake on the Zavala County Ranch that had been shot in the jaw with a 22. No doubt it was a road hunter that did this. I have had 500+ pound calves killed the same way.

Did I call the Warden, sure as hell did. It might have taken him 20 minutes to get there, and he thanked me for calling him. He stayed at the ranch at least 2 hours riding the senderos and talking to my family. I gave him the combination to enter my ranch any time he wants to. He thanked me for that also.

I haven't had any more trouble with roadhunters since then.

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: cuzins8] #824506 08/03/09 01:18 AM
K
KellyAsh Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Ok cuzins8, I digress then since you cleared the size issue up.

In my own defense, the description of 10"-12" implies an estimation and not an exact measurement and I dont see where it was listed multiple times but I usually have to walk past whatever Im looking for in the store 2 or 3 times also.

I wouldnt expect the other guy to be able to judge that well at a distance though so I change my vote to go talk to the guy. I would be willing to bet he thought it was 13" if out of nothing else, sheer positive thinking.

If he did know it was under, then hes a POS poacher and I would call the GW. I would just set up hidden game came on my valuables in case the guy wanted retribution.

Fowlplyr, I dont have much experience with GWs and what little I do have has all been very positive and dont want to do anything to make their jobs harder. I just expect them to be like other LEO Ive been with and those guys would have been peeved at the call then make fun of the guy after that. Maybe I should become a GW. This market is killing IT openings.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: moderno] #824507 08/03/09 01:59 AM
J
jodster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Quote:

I found a dead doe in the lake on the Zavala County Ranch that had been shot in the jaw with a 22. No doubt it was a road hunter that did this. I have had 500+ pound calves killed the same way.

Did I call the Warden, sure as hell did. It might have taken him 20 minutes to get there, and he thanked me for calling him. He stayed at the ranch at least 2 hours riding the senderos and talking to my family. I gave him the combination to enter my ranch any time he wants to. He thanked me for that also.

I haven't had any more trouble with roadhunters since then.

That's a little different than a hunter on his own property shooting a buck a inch or two under the AR restriction. But god bless you for not killing somebody for killing your cows. The thought sure would of crossed my mind. I hope the caught the sob.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: jodster] #824508 08/03/09 02:15 AM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Yeah, I know road hunting and this thread have nothing in common. But some on here said the Warden wouldn't be very happy to have to respond to a call like this thread is about. This is simply not true. If you call, they will come and they are going to investigate the case.

That is all I'm saying, they are going to do their job.

If I hear a shot on the next ranch, it means nothing to me. If I see an undersize deer jump the boundary fence and it is shot just on the other side and see the hunter/ hunters load this illegal buck and take off with it, yes I would make the call.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: moderno] #824509 08/03/09 02:50 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
alright guys, idk bout yall, but i undersized a buck once, didnt mean too, but i broke the law. pretty upset when i walked up to the buck that i had just shot. i measured him first and noticed he had an insided spread of 12 and 1/2 inches..... he was an older buck. i was upset. guess what i didnt do. i didnt call the gw, i tagged him, gutted him, got him home quartered him up and processed him myself. guess im some terrible person for underjudging a buck. i sure dont wanna do it again though. to much of a monkey o ur back, trust me!

just because someone shoots a 12 and 1/2 in buck doesnt mean they are going to come hunting on ur land, or spotlight deer at night, or hunt off the road, just one poor decision. ive been a fan of the lil law in other states where when u shoot an undersized buck, u can "turn urself in" and pay a much lower fee than what they would normally charge....

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: Closed Traverse] #824510 08/03/09 03:05 AM
E
elkhunter7x6 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
Quote:

i walked up to the buck that i had just shot. i measured him first and noticed he had an insided spread of 12 and 1/2 inches.....

You sir are a SCUM BAG POACHER! Well atleast in the eyes of many here.

j/k It was an honest mistake that could happen to any of us. I commend you for being man enough to admit to having made a mistake.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: elkhunter7x6] #824511 08/03/09 05:17 AM
K
KellyAsh Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Personally, I dont see the good in turning yourself in in that situation unless you just want the hassle and donate money to the state, which you could do just as easily without possibly creating trouble for yourself.

Your intentions were to stay within the boundaries of the law. 12 1/2" inches on a mature buck meets the intention of the law, IMO. You're a young hunter, you misjudged the deer. Thats just part of learning.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: cuzins8] #824512 08/03/09 05:30 AM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Should you decide to tattle, think you should face the same fate of the guy who snitches in prison. In other words, tend to YOUR side of the fence.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: MacD37] #824513 08/03/09 05:34 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

Although it would make me mad, I tend to try and stay out of other people's business.

The law breaker is the one who is getting into your business! The game laws, and violaters are everybody's business. Turn the game thief in to the game warden! Let him pay a fine loose his rifle, and maybe get his truck taken, word will get around that breaking the game laws is not something you want to do!

People like that will get what's coming to them one of these days without someone tattling on them.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: bossbowman] #824514 08/03/09 05:38 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Call the warden immediately, once you hit them were it hurts once, the pocketbook, as the warden will write them a big ol ticket. When they realize their neighbors are keeping an close eye on them, they will follow the rules in the future, it only takes one time for these slobs to change their attitude.

Just hope you don't run in to someone crazy. Once they know there neighbors are out to call the GW on them for everything, they just might burn your house down. lol

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: Curly] #824515 08/03/09 05:43 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

I would invite the hunter and the deer to my house to discuss it over a beer.

Or at least the hunter and the backstrap!

lmao!

seriously, maybe he was unaware that the new AR law was out there. I know, I know. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. But if you were to talk to him about it, and clear things up, it might not happen again, and you wouldn't lose a friendly neighbor.
If it did happen again, then call the game warden.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: Closed Traverse] #824516 08/03/09 06:34 AM
J
jodster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Quote:

alright guys, idk bout yall, but i undersized a buck once, didnt mean too, but i broke the law. pretty upset when i walked up to the buck that i had just shot. i measured him first and noticed he had an insided spread of 12 and 1/2 inches..... he was an older buck. i was upset. guess what i didnt do. i didnt call the gw, i tagged him, gutted him, got him home quartered him up and processed him myself. guess im some terrible person for underjudging a buck. i sure dont wanna do it again though. to much of a monkey o ur back, trust me!

just because someone shoots a 12 and 1/2 in buck doesnt mean they are going to come hunting on ur land, or spotlight deer at night, or hunt off the road, just one poor decision. ive been a fan of the lil law in other states where when u shoot an undersized buck, u can "turn urself in" and pay a much lower fee than what they would normally charge....

Yep, as of righ now there are a 119 people on this post that say "Call the Game Warden immediately" happy birthday Brandon I think somebody will be knocking at your door.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: cuzins8] #824517 08/03/09 06:45 AM
S
Skinner0_2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
My emediate thoughts after reading a few posts here that say they would aproach the hunter and try and engage the man in conversation for a closer look at the deer are just this. If a poacher will comitt a murder and kill a GW to keep from getting caught, who the heck am i to him out in the middle of BFE other that the one guy that can point him out to the law? Make the call and let the GW do his thing. Skinner

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: Skinner0_2] #824518 08/03/09 07:36 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I guess I am just not that worried about my neighbor killing me for going and talking to him.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: cbump] #824519 08/03/09 07:56 AM
J
jodster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Quote:

I guess I am just not that worried about my neighbor killing me for going and talking to him.

Or maybe just shoot the neighbor first for not obeying AR's j/k

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: jodster] #824520 08/03/09 07:59 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
lmfao^^^^

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: Closed Traverse] #824521 08/03/09 09:11 AM
B
bigbuckboy Online Happy
Pro Tracker
Online Happy
Pro Tracker
B
i shot a illegal doe that i thought was legal and the game warden got my me. If it is a honest mistake well then sorry. Every one screws up every now and then i wouldent call unless it is a every year thing.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #824522 08/04/09 11:48 PM
J
JED Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Heck why don't we all just start telling on everyone for everything that we think they are doing wrong. That is about what this Country has turned into.

3rd Armored Division
B Co 5/18 Infantry
[Linked Image]

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: JED] #824523 08/05/09 12:05 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Quote:

Heck why don't we all just start telling on everyone for everything that we think they are doing wrong. That is about what this Country has turned into.

Nah, it's just the trophy hunters concerned about snitchin, meat hunters don't care.....JUST KIDDIN FOLKS!!!!

Last edited by Curly; 08/05/09 12:07 AM.
Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: TheHunted] #824524 08/05/09 01:02 AM
C
cabezacreektaxidermy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Think about it, they might not understan the ar rules, talk to them explain why it was not a shooter, if it was a real mature buck the GW usually will let it pass, the main goal to AR is to let the younger deer grow,and get the more mature bucks shot older buck genes are more likely to throw unhealthy fawns due to a more healthier younger buck, if the neighbor is a grump or chews you out for trying to help get the GW involved, conflict between two neighbors is a not good. think logically.

Re: To snitch or not to snitch ? [Re: cabezacreektaxidermy] #824525 08/05/09 07:12 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
"the main goal to AR is to let the younger deer grow,and get the more mature bucks shot "
Minus the fact that we can legally shoot a young spike if we want.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide