Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Stopped Trains Blocking Crossings [Re: Cochise] #8242967 04/20/21 04:49 AM
D
Duke4456 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I grew up in Edgewood and remember the train blocking 859 and next street to the west at the same time multiple times but the one on the county road west of town headed to the city lake was never also blocked that I can remember. That would have to be a pretty long train to sit and block all three. Of course the old underpass was still there when I was in high school so that’s the way I usually went.

Your worst day of hunting is always better than your best day at work
Re: Stopped Trains Blocking Crossings [Re: Duke4456] #8243176 04/20/21 01:26 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Duke4456
I grew up in Edgewood and remember the train blocking 859 and next street to the west at the same time multiple times but the one on the county road west of town headed to the city lake was never also blocked that I can remember. That would have to be a pretty long train to sit and block all three. Of course the old underpass was still there when I was in high school so that’s the way I usually went.

Yep - as mentioned in other posts - trains are getting longer. They block all 3 now.

UP doesn't give a chit. I'm assuming they're stopping and waiting for another train to come up to the switch/dual section they have just E of town. Rather than stop and wait just W of town - they stop in town. They do it in Wills Point too - but that is where they stop to switch out crews and walk to the gas station. There are more crossings in WP so they're never all blocked though.

Re: Stopped Trains Blocking Crossings [Re: Cochise] #8243356 04/20/21 03:42 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Big Corporations, they're the worst.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Stopped Trains Blocking Crossings [Re: one73maro] #8243532 04/20/21 05:46 PM
H
HandyMan91 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by one73maro
Strawn is bad too! There are 4 crossings but they are all pretty close together. Gotta drive down to Mingus to get around.

Same here in gordon, have to drive to mingus or out to Coalville rd if its not closed

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The only thing flat earthers have to fear is sphere itself

Re: Stopped Trains Blocking Crossings [Re: Cochise] #8243538 04/20/21 05:57 PM
S
Slimpickin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Edgewood City said they're limited to 15 minutes. Didn't say how to resolve issue if they stay longer. Maybe keep a date and time log; always have proof to present when fighting your case. Not saying anyone in Edgewood would "Exaggerate" their story. LOL! taz

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.
Re: Stopped Trains Blocking Crossings [Re: Slimpickin] #8243558 04/20/21 06:18 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Slimpickin
Edgewood City said they're limited to 15 minutes. Didn't say how to resolve issue if they stay longer. Maybe keep a date and time log; always have proof to present when fighting your case. Not saying anyone in Edgewood would "Exaggerate" their story. LOL! taz

Thanks for the heads up - not sure if it has any teeth though since it's up to the Feds and UP - not state or local municipalities. I would venture that most times they probably do stay under. I do know for a fact it was 20+ minutes yesterday morning because I was on the phone with the wife - lunch was probably very near the 15 minute mark.

I'm not here to fight a case - just here to gripe about it since my wife was griping at me about it - as if I control the trains or my complaint actually matters...lol No trains today so all is good in her world. You'd think after living there her entire life (30+ years) she'd be used to this by now - but I guess it's becoming more of a problem than it was before - especially with that underpass gone.

Re: Stopped Trains Blocking Crossings [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8244395 04/21/21 02:25 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
don't have that problem here in big city. grin

BS. I started a thread about this years ago on the TFF. Northside Drive just east of Main Street in FW. Train blocked the road for over a half hour and the line was pretty long when I got there, so I’m not sure how long it had been loading more railcars (that’s what it was doing, it would move forward, then back up, big ‘clang’ sound and do it all over again).

Somebody over on the TFF gave me the direct number for someone at that rail company (it was BNSF). I called and left a message describing the issue (I’d lived there and driven over those tracks many times, it usually was only blocked for five minutes or less). He called me back, asked some questions, thanked me for bringing the issue to his attention and said they would fix it. Never was an issue again while I lived there.

I don’t mind waiting at a rail crossing for a few minutes, and I know the railways were here way before the city expanded to what it is now, but this was ridiculous. It was like 6:30 pm and I was trying to get to the grocery store across the tracks.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Stopped Trains Blocking Crossings [Re: Cochise] #8244505 04/21/21 03:48 PM
B
bear64 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Duck-hunter, as much as I would like to tell you your complaint was what resolved the problem I can assure you after decades of working on the railroad it wasn't.
the most likely explanation is this, from time to time rail maintenance equipment, malfunctioning freight equipment, excess tonnage due to enroute loss of locomotive power or a buffet of other unusual circumstances had rail equipment that wouldn't normally be there.
the reason I say this is I gather from your post this situation was rare.
As much as we would like to feel like our concerns are being taken seriously, keep in mind the railroad representative on the phone is trained (no pun intended) to de-escalate the uproar, get you off the phone and resume normal rail business.
As far as local municipalities having the authority to enforce crossing restrictions , well the federal government shot that down. and their thought process is this, a freight train might be built 2.3 miles long in Chicago and have a destination of Jacksonville Florida. let's say the township of Apple Valley passes a local resolution that no train in excess of 1.5 miles in length is permitted to stop within township limits due to blocking all crossings.
SO , the railroads went to the federal government and said we can't build trains to comply with every little po-dunk town in America city council resolution. The railroad said we can not continue to offer viable economic shipping solutions to move Mericas goods. The feds said hey Apple Valley we trump your resolution and null and void it in the name of Mericas economic growth and interstate commerce.
Now, having said this just remember in the event you have a real emergency (not being late for a T-ball game) that requires urgent and immediate access for first responders, you can call the number on the signs at every marked rail crossing and the dispatcher may have the conductor go back and cut and separate the train to allow access.
Keep in mind with the increased length of freight trains the railroads didn't increase the length of double track spots where trains normally meet and pass each other so there are only so many places this can occur. 10 gallons of trains won't fit in a 5 gallon bucket of track.
p s. remember this, 30 minutes delay at a crossing may seem excessive, but I have personally been on trains that had mechanical failures that left us sitting for hours upon hours.
The tran crew would love nothing more to keep the train moving, that means they are getting closer to home that they've been away from for days at a time.
thanks for listening

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide