Forums46
Topics538,269
Posts9,735,103
Members87,077
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: cuzins8] #823020 08/01/09 02:00 AM
R
ruger270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Quote:

Quote:

this buck would have been killed last year but with the AR he got to grow a little more,so it does work give it a try!

this year pic

Ruger, just out of curiousity, how do you know it's the same deer?

pics are not that great but if you will look at the horns his g-3's are kinda crab clawed and he was a local at the feeder last year,if not must be his daddy but I am pretty sure it is him

GOD IS GREAT,BEER IS GOOD,PEOPLE ARE CRAZY

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: lnester] #823021 08/01/09 02:03 AM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Quote:

Good for the TPWD! They have to enact ARs because there are too many yahoos who shoot anything with horns. Making it illegal is the only way to get these guys on board.

If I want to shoot anything with horns, that is between me and the land owner. This decision should NOT be made by the ones I share a fence line with.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: Dry Fire] #823022 08/01/09 02:10 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I agree...... that is part of hunting. Letting one walk hoping that he improves over the course of a year is a gamble.

for those worried about measuring a 13" wide deer... the ones with the low set horns are easy to judge...the ones that pull this mess can be a challenge. I saw what his daddy looked like so he is safe for the next few yrs... or until the neighbors shoot him the second he hits the 13" mark.

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: Dry Fire] #823023 08/01/09 02:11 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Quote:

Quote:

Good for the TPWD! They have to enact ARs because there are too many yahoos who shoot anything with horns. Making it illegal is the only way to get these guys on board.

If I want to shoot anything with horns, that is between me and the land owner. This decision should NOT be made by the ones I share a fence line with.

Well since everyone (technically the state) owns the deer, then yes your neighbor has as much input as you or me on what types of deer should be killed.

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: helomech] #823024 08/01/09 03:05 AM
M
murfdog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M

TPWD makes all these laws and imposes AR's on counties without having any proof of harvest numbers and sizes. It makes me laugh when I read about deer statistics from region to region, because there's absolutely no way to get an accurate count because nobody is required to turn in a log from their license.

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: helomech] #823025 08/01/09 03:40 AM
L
lnester Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well since everyone (technically the state) owns the deer, then yes your neighbor has as much input as you or me on what types of deer should be killed.

Exactly! Why do people think the deer on their property are THEIRS? Deer roam and belong to the entire state of Texas. Therefore, state regs should be enacted to protect that deer in the best interest of the state.

If you want to grow your own deer, build a high fence. Then you can shoot a buck as soon as his horns poke through his skin and you'll be happy! For the "meat". LOL!

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: lnester] #823026 08/01/09 03:45 AM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Quote:

If you want to grow your own deer, build a high fence. Then you can shoot a buck as soon as his horns poke through his skin and you'll be happy! For the "meat". LOL!

Exactly, and after a few years of practice that poor managment practice (shooting the first thing you see with horns) you won't have ANY deer to shoot.

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: ruger270] #823027 08/01/09 07:17 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If that isn't him and the one in the bottom photo is his daddy, then junior is still going to have a really nice rack this year.

But I agree, I think it's him!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: ruger270] #823028 08/01/09 09:50 AM
C
cuzins8 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Quote:

pics are not that great but if you will look at the horns his g-3's are kinda crab clawed and he was a local at the feeder last year,if not must be his daddy but I am pretty sure it is him

gotcha, thought there may be a spot on him or something. You should know, it's YOUR deer. lol

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: rifleman] #823029 08/01/09 09:54 AM
C
cuzins8 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Quote:

I agree...... that is part of hunting. Letting one walk hoping that he improves over the course of a year is a gamble.

for those worried about measuring a 13" wide deer... the ones with the low set horns are easy to judge...the ones that pull this mess can be a challenge. I saw what his daddy looked like so he is safe for the next few yrs... or until the neighbors shoot him the second he hits the 13" mark.

Perfect example! He's border line, So he's a DON'T SHOOT deer. He's young and has potential. My neighbors (on all sides) will shoot that deer when his two front feet hit the ground as he's jumping the fence onto their property. Now it is ILLEGAL! I love it!!!

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: lnester] #823030 08/01/09 08:17 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Quote:

Therefore, state regs should be enacted to protect that deer in the best interest of the state.

AR's protect the interests of the trophy hunter, not the deer.

If you want to manage your bucks for quality horns, why don't you build a high fence around your place? Speaking of which, if someone builds a high fence, how come they are not required to reimburse the state for those deer that are no longer allowed to roam free?

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: Dry Fire] #823031 08/01/09 08:26 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Quote:

Quote:

Therefore, state regs should be enacted to protect that deer in the best interest of the state.

If you want to manage your bucks for quality horns, why don't you build a high fence around your place? Speaking of which, if someone builds a high fence, how come they are not required to reimburse the state for those deer that are no longer allowed to roam free?

Excellent point!

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: rifleman] #823032 08/01/09 08:35 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Quote:

I personally miss the old days when you didn't have to worry about it and it was YOUR choice to shoot or not to shoot.

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: Curly] #823033 08/01/09 09:46 PM
C
Cooner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Just more infiltration into how we live our lives, every law they make equates to a right we lose,desensitizing us to future "freedom theft". A little at a time, we can't even feel it slippin away, at least some of us can't.

Those of you who read this and think I am overreacting need to take the horn blinders off.

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: Dry Fire] #823034 08/01/09 10:23 PM
C
cuzins8 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Quote:

Quote:

You are obviously uneducated about the point and outcomes of AR's. You should do some reading about the idea behind it instead of assuming that because it is based on antler size it is about trophy hunting.
For example, look at how many post, JUST ON THIS ONE THREAD, say "we see sooo many more deer"!!!

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: cuzins8] #823035 08/01/09 11:14 PM
L
lnester Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's about herd management, pure and simple.

Look, I honestly don't care if you want to shoot up the deer on your place. You won't be welcome anywhere I hunt, for sure. I do think you're being extremely short sighted if you want to kill immature bucks, something that is universally agreed upon to be bad for deer management. Since the herd belongs to the state, the state should be able to make regulations in the best interest of the herd.

If you disagree, grow your own.

Finally, we wouldn't need as much intervention from the gov't (TPWD) if yahoos like you would STOP SHOOTING YOUNG BUCKS! Do you get that? Obviously not.

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: lnester] #823036 08/02/09 12:24 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
If my neibhor wants to shot a small buck... More power to him.. Not my place to tell him what he can and cant do with his money on his lease or land...

Me I'd rather watch him grow..but thats me.. and thats the way I hunt.. if he doesn't make it... thats just life... if he does make it well.. he is an even bigger trophy in my mind becuase he was a smart old boy.

People need to stop worring about what everyone else is doing and enjoy being able to get outside and off the pavement.

If you really want bigger deer... then don't shoot any bucks for three years and take extra doe.. Actually just use all your doe tags and incourage others.. Then you will see more bucks and bigger bucks.

I think AR's had a good orginal thought to up the age structure of your buck herd... but they forgot the the other half. they should of upped the doe harvest ablility. The problem I have with AR's is the SPIKE tag and thier push to shot young spikes.. Its a BS tag that probley does more harm then good... the true genetic old spikes is less then .05% of the entire herd... so that leaves really the yearling spikes as the true target.. thats bad.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: cuzins8] #823037 08/02/09 04:09 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are obviously uneducated about the point and outcomes of AR's. You should do some reading about the idea behind it instead of assuming that because it is based on antler size it is about trophy hunting.
For example, look at how many post, JUST ON THIS ONE THREAD, say "we see sooo many more deer"!!!

And look at those of us that say we see less or just the same amount of deer but can't shoot a buck because it's still not wide enough, oops I meant mature enough. You shouldn't be calling anyone uneducated. We know what we have seen and haven't seen since manditory ARs. A meat hunter can be as educated as a trophy hunter. So what if "a yahoo" wants to shoot a small buck? OMG, how did we ever survive without ARs? I notice on the THF that there are way more folks calling meat hunters insulting names than the other way around. No bueno. Why hasn't anyone bothered to answer Dry Fire's question about "if someone builds a high fence, how come they are not required to reimburse the state for those deer that are no longer allowed to roam free?"

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: cuzins8] #823038 08/02/09 04:29 AM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I don't think there is right and wrong here. Just different stages. Because someone is not in the same stage as you doesn't make them wrong.

SHOOTER STAGE
The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to "get shooting." Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

LIMITING OUT STAGE
A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

TROPHY STAGE
Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.

METHOD STAGE
This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

SPORTSMAN STAGE
As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he "mellows out." Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game. Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.

Five Stages of a Hunter - Click Here

I'm in the Old Fart Stage.

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: gogburn] #823039 08/02/09 04:45 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Quote:

I don't think there is right and wrong here. Just different stages. Because someone is not in the same stage as you doesn't make them wrong.

SHOOTER STAGE
The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to "get shooting." Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

LIMITING OUT STAGE
A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

TROPHY STAGE
Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.

METHOD STAGE
This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

SPORTSMAN STAGE
As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he "mellows out." Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game. Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.

That's pretty cool!

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: Curly] #823040 08/02/09 05:03 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Excellent point!

+1 AR suck

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: Cooner] #823041 08/02/09 05:04 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

Just more infiltration into how we live our lives, every law they make equates to a right we lose,desensitizing us to future "freedom theft". A little at a time, we can't even feel it slippin away, at least some of us can't.

Those of you who read this and think I am overreacting need to take the horn blinders off.

Amen to that

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: 10pointers] #823042 08/02/09 05:31 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Here is a thought on new AR counties. Say you are in one of the new ones. Example Mills county, last year was 5 deer county 2 bucks and three does. This year 5 deer 2 bucks (one with antler restrictions and the other spike) three does. Your sre paying top dollar for your lease. This year you can only shoot one throphy (13" or better) and a spike. Lets say you use to take your son with you and you shared tags in the past, both of you shot your respective throphy. That will not happen this year you will be able to shot your throphy and your son will have to settle for a spike. Oh but wait you say my son has his own tags so he can shoot one over 13" also. Hypotheticly yes, it can and will happen making the AR purpose mute. Plus your are cheating the state and the landowner.

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: gogburn] #823043 08/02/09 06:02 AM
J
jodster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Quote:

SHOOTER STAGE

LIMITING OUT STAGE

TROPHY STAGE

METHOD STAGE

SPORTSMAN STAGE

This would make a good poll, might be hard to pick a stage though.

Re: 2009-2010 Regulations are out. AR-tastic!!! [Re: Curly] #823044 08/02/09 06:50 AM
C
cuzins8 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And look at those of us that say we see less or just the same amount of deer but can't shoot a buck because it's still not wide enough, oops I meant mature enough. You shouldn't be calling anyone uneducated. We know what we have seen and haven't seen since manditory ARs. A meat hunter can be as educated as a trophy hunter. So what if "a yahoo" wants to shoot a small buck? OMG, how did we ever survive without ARs? I notice on the THF that there are way more folks calling meat hunters insulting names than the other way around. No bueno. Why hasn't anyone bothered to answer Dry Fire's question about "if someone builds a high fence, how come they are not required to reimburse the state for those deer that are no longer allowed to roam free?"

When I say "uneducated" I'm referring to this statement... AR's protect the interests of the trophy hunter, not the deer.
As I said in my post, READ ABOUT THE AR'S! This will EDUCATE you about them. It is not about trophy hunting, though it may seem that way.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide