Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8094673 12/18/20 10:23 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I don’t shoot them. I don’t get bent out of shape if some do. If I were shooting them though I would target the shortest spikes since they have the least amount of bone on their head. A quick story about what changed my mind:
We had a Snow White yearling spike. He was the only white deer on the 13,000 acre place any of us were aware of. We thought he was cool and all agreed not to kill him. At 6.5 years of age he was a 20 1/2” wide main frame 10 pt that scored in the mid 160’s. That told me you just don’t know till you know. We cull the really bad ones at three but most are given till four. We have strong age classes and a strong track record for producing more big deer on a per acre basis than almost all low fence properties in our region.

To the OP’s question: I judge the posted buck to be 1.5 years old. I would not shoot him unless he is much smaller than your average yearling. Ultimately it is your call. A trend we have seen with young bucks where I hunt is those that produce larger than average bodies early often also produce smaller antlers as a result of more bone going into growing a larger skeletal frame. Some but not all of these bucks really start to bloom at age 4. No way to know which ones it will be till it happens. Culling spikes is playing a game of odds. You will take out more that don’t have the genetics to get big but you will also kill some that have the potential to get to trophy size. Where I hunt it translates to culling a lot of 4 year old 8’s that top out in the 120’s and 130’s and they are a lot more fun to shoot than spikes. It depends on how much patience you and your group of hunters have. Deer are like people. Some are early bloomers and some are late bloomers. If you kill all the spikes, you only leave the early bloomers to hunt as mature deer. If you have enough trophy deer that you are not worried about killing some of the deer that will get big without knowing it then shoot them. If you want to identify all of them, cull at 4.

"Where I hunt it translates to culling a lot of 4 year old 8’s that top out in the 120’s and 130’s and they are a lot more fun to shoot than spikes."
^^^This quote from Smokey is a major reason why we dont cull young bucks. There is tremendous value in a lease member being able to kill a 120s buck as a second buck while waiting for a big Trophy. Especially when our kids end up killing a lot of those lesser bucks.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8094677 12/18/20 10:26 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I don't kill yearling deer.......

Same here. Would never even consider it unless our deer density was insanely high. Way to many other factors are at play with a deers first rack and genetics is rarely the dominate reason.

If your place can handle culling yearlings than I guess spikes are as good of place as any to start. I have never hunted a place like that though.

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094742 12/18/20 11:24 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I read back through that whole thread earlier this year and it had great info for sure. We do not see many spikes but if we do we only kill them if the are 2 plus.

In the other thread there was discussion about the importance of controlling how many mouths you feed. I have owned and managed a number of ponds over the years. I have always compared fish management to deer management. Exact same principals IMO. With a pond or body of water if you do not cull some fish out from time to time the pond gets overrun with numbers leading to too many mouths to feed. Result is there is not enough food (bait fish) to go around so most of the bass get stunted and thin. So it benefits your pond greatly to consistently cull some bass out (10-20 inches usually) -

We owned a ranch some years back with an 8 acre pond - nobody had fished it for years and therefore no bass had been taken out. All the bass were stunted - so I started culling hard and and within 4-5 years was taking 6-8 lb bass out.

IMO the exact same philosophy works with deer. So culling doe is the easiest and simplest first step - the hunter does not have to judge horns or age and determine if it is a cull - they just shoot a doe. So keeping the population under control is step one.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094772 12/19/20 12:01 AM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TLew
To follow up on my opening post, I personally wouldn't shoot the deer I put a picture up of. I want to see a 3 year old deer before it gets shot, and if it doesn't show good qualities (tine length, number of points, etc.) then it will be taken out.

I posted this because I like to hear opinions and what others do. I'm very appreciative of some of the posts that folks have put up because they show just how different situations can be that produce different management plans. This would be a prime example:

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Too many deer on this corned road with more at the feeder and some down the road behind me.
[Linked Image]

I won't ever see that many deer in one spot where we hunt in central north Texas, so my management plan can't be like hooks.

Nice

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: hook_n_line] #8094924 12/19/20 01:44 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
[quote=hook_n_line]We have too manage spikes, does, doe fawns, and bucks that fall behind. Sure we may take a few that have potential but the ones that are about to peak are the better for it. It's just good for the land and feed bill. We took employees and friends hunting this year to harvest at least 40 deer. Some got spikes, some got does, doe fawns and a few got over the hill deer. All part of the plan. Everybody had a good time and took venison home. Now the rut is on and with less does to chase the big boys should show themselves so we know what to plan for for next year.

Different age classes of bucks. I can take a mature one each year if they don't run off and hopefully one turns into a giant.
[Linked Image]

Which would you shoot? Nothing wrong with shooting spikes. All these were born around the same time, one is a runt and one has multiple points.
[Linked Image]

Too many deer on this corned road with more at the feeder and some down the road behind me.
[Linked Image]

He will be 6 next year and prime for the harvest.
[Linked Image]

And this my friends is what a pond/ranch looks like with too many mouths to feed - it gets out of hand fast when mother nature takes over and it gets out of hand -

I challenge you to do the math. Let's use an example - say 1000 acres high fence ranch - zero deer on it. So you put in 3 bred does and 3 two year old bucks. Assume each doe has either one or two fawns each year or on average 1.5 fawns kicked off per year. Half will be female and half will be male. Assume that continues over 3-4 years on this HF ranch. Get your calculator out and do the math - will not be long before the property is overwhelmed with too many deer and mouths to feed. The answer? Harvest the mouths so those left can have enough food to grow and prosper - it is actually pretty simple if you think about it. The exact same thing happens on low fence ranches -

Last edited by tlk; 12/19/20 01:46 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8094949 12/19/20 02:05 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Sneaky
I don’t see the point unless you’re doing some intensive management and have plenty of tags to do so.

That’s it in a nut shell, it’s level 9 of a 10level program. 8 other levels etc that need to be addressed first, but it’s easier to justify shooting a spike in most minds as management, regardless of the actual outcome of it.

pot meet kettle you old spike killer...you been in the closet to long roflmao

Every saint has a past and every sinner a future...

Still time to take the right path
grin

I can now understand where your memory loss and forgetfulness comes from at a younger age....amnesia at a very young age. Has now caused older age denial about spikes....Was it a hunting accident or to much football that caused this? Or both roflmao rangefinders, gloves, spikes, fuel cans...the list is getting ever so long. rofl

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8095011 12/19/20 03:01 AM
A
Auctioneer1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
[Linked Image]
First year spike
Second year 5pt
Third year 8pt
Forth year 9pt
Fifth year 10pt
Sixth year 10pt
Seventh year 13pt total
No we don’t shoot yearling spikes at all. Feed,Water and Age they grow.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide