Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8090323 12/15/20 03:54 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I've got one vortex scope. A viper 4-16 SFP. It has been back to vortex once and it didn't break. There was always something off with it from the get go, i believe something was out of alignment in side the scope. I had to use adjustable bases to zero it on the first rifle. On the second rifle a CZ I couldn't find adjustable bases so I sent it to vortex for service. They said there was nothing wrong with it, but disassembled it reassembled it and sent it back. The issue with zeroing it miraculously went away. It zeroed easily tracks fine and have been shooting it for two trouble free years since.

I probably do not put my scopes through the paces that some do, but it has held up fine for me.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Vortex Love [Re: JCB] #8090513 12/15/20 05:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by JCB
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by JCB
I bought one after many great reviews here on THF. I have put that thing through heck and couldn’t be happier. Think it’s a Viper 6x20 that I bought on pre order for like $279. Best under $300 scope I have ever used.

Did you get it at The Walmart's?

Camera Land.
And I would have to go back and look but I do believe you were on the Vortex bandwagon.

Years ago.

Then I used two of them. One rifle scope and one spotting scope. The rifle scope got sent in my me, as well as two other people. The spotting scope has been sent in once, and needs to go again.

Also known as "experience".

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8090536 12/15/20 06:02 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’ve got 4 scopes and 2 set’s of Razor HD bino’s and I’ve never had a problem, the bino’s get used all the time. I’m not doubting some may have problem’s but I’d have to ask how the heck so many people have problems and yet I’ve never had an issue. I’m not saying Vortex‘s are high end products but for what I use them for they’ve never let me down.
Having said that I won’t buy any more simply due to their reputation, I’ll stick to Swaro’s, and Leupold from here on out.

Re: Vortex Love [Re: J.G.] #8090560 12/15/20 06:23 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by JCB
Originally Posted by JCB
I bought one after many great reviews here on THF. I have put that thing through heck and couldn’t be happier. Think it’s a Viper 6x20 that I bought on pre order for like $279. Best under $300 scope I have ever used.

Did you get it at The Walmart's?

Camera Land.
And I would have to go back and look but I do believe you were on the Vortex bandwagon.

Years ago.

Then I used two of them. One rifle scope and one spotting scope. The rifle scope got sent in my me, as well as two other people. The spotting scope has been sent in once, and needs to go again.

Also known as "experience".

So you were singing the praises of a company you had no experience with at the time??? Odd!

I think I have had mine about 5 or 6 years (maybe more). My “experience” has been the polar opposite of yours. And God knows I have logged a ton of miles and shots with that thing in some of the harshest conditions and terrain that Texas has to offer. But I don’t hunt paper and steel so what do I know.

Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8090610 12/15/20 07:09 PM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
As long as there’s no problems, I think the new(er) Strike Eagle is probably the best scope for the .22 precision matches. Previously I have said the Athlon Midas TAC but the Strike Eagle surpasses it in internal travel and can usually work on top of a 50 MOA rail.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Vortex Love [Re: JCB] #8090651 12/15/20 07:28 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by JCB
So you were singing the praises of a company you had no experience with at the time??? Odd!

I think I have had mine about 5 or 6 years (maybe more). My “experience” has been the polar opposite of yours. And God knows I have logged a ton of miles and shots with that thing in some of the harshest conditions and terrain that Texas has to offer. But I don’t hunt paper and steel so what do I know.

I was speaking good of Vortex until it crapped out on me. And, there are hundreds of rifles that have been on my range now. Vortex breaking down is not uncommon. You're talking about one scope that has worked for you. I'm talking about dozens I've either used, or been spotting for someone using one.

And I punch hide every month of the year. Paper and steel is to get ready for that. I don't understand how that is so damned hard for people to understand.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Vortex Love [Re: J.G.] #8090678 12/15/20 07:50 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by JCB

I was speaking good of Vortex until it crapped out on me. And, there are hundreds of rifles that have been on my range now. Vortex breaking down is not uncommon. You're talking about one scope that has worked for you. I'm talking about dozens I've either used, or been spotting for someone using one.

And I punch hide every month of the year. Paper and steel is to get ready for that. I don't understand how that is so damned hard for people to understand.

Well if you want to include scopes that other people own that I have been around (like you did) I know of at least 8-10 others that haven’t failed them either. So our experiences are still polar opposites of each other. But for some reason I am still wrong in your mind because my “experience” is different than yours.

All I can say is I’m glad I don’t have to punch steel and paper every month to “get ready”. Ammo be expensive and my scope might fall apart!
smile ani

Re: Vortex Love [Re: JCB] #8091092 12/16/20 12:47 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by JCB
Originally Posted by JCB

Well if you want to include scopes that other people own that I have been around (like you did) I know of at least 8-10 others that haven’t failed them either. So our experiences are still polar opposites of each other. But for some reason I am still wrong in your mind because my “experience” is different than yours.

All I can say is I’m glad I don’t have to punch steel and paper every month to “get ready”. Ammo be expensive and my scope might fall apart!
smile ani

See, I never claimed you didn't have any experience. That's how you took it. I was saying I've got more experience with Vortex now, than I did then.

And, if you, and whomever else leave those scopes in the safe 10 months a year, yeah, they're probably not going to break. Those of us that use them 52 weeks a year, might have a different perspective.

How many one shot ethical kills have you made farther than 500 yards? (I already know the answer)

It's pretty serious business, and I don't take it lightly, so I prepare for it. And many times, I've been glad I did. Hogs and coyotes, sure. Unfortunately, I've had to do it on elk, whitetail, and this year a pronghorn at 689 yards. Unfortunately, because that's not what I prefer. But, I was ready for it. No one can buy that, it has to be learned and then practiced. Therefore, a significant amount of shooting happens.

Ammo, isn't expensive for me, I make it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8091129 12/16/20 01:12 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Yes we know you are the authority on long range shooting. You remind us every chance you get.

And to answer your question I have made a grand total of one kill over 500 yards. That’s the only one time I have needed to try that on an animal. Long range is your thing, not mine. Not sure what that has to do with Vortex but at least you got to toot your own horn again.

And no I don’t use my rifles 52 weeks a year but I bet you I spend more time in the woods from October to January than you do all 12 months combined. But once again it has nothing to do with Vortex and my experience with them.

We get it....you don’t like Vortex. But trying to one up everyone because they have had a different experience than you with Vortex makes you look silly.

I would love to sit here and argue with you all night but I have a pig to go retrieve with the ATV and trailer. For the record I was using a Bauch & Lomb scope. flame

Re: Vortex Love [Re: JCB] #8091162 12/16/20 01:42 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'm no authority.

My thing, yes. So I have to prepare for it, and practice it. Vortex holding zero, tracking properly, and keeping dust and water out of the scope is all problems I've seen. And I've seen it because I use scopes frequently. Just a reply to your statements.

In the woods? Sure you do. I hate staring at the same 1 acre all day. But, I get to cover 200 acre wheat fields this winter. Same 200 acre cotton fields during summer. Or wheat, or milo. Hay fields on my own land all year, which is now my front yard. But, no you probably do not hunt as many days a year as I do. I hunt where I live, and the neighbors I have that I pass on the way in and out to pavement almost 365 days a year. And a rifle beside me every one of them.

Again (I'm typing slow) I'm just replying to your accusations.

I know you'd love to argue, and that's fine. I've got a small list of haters and I don't give a chit. Reminder that you're on the list. I'm not conventional in your mind. You don't understand it, so you don't like it. That's on you, not me. Grow up.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Vortex Love [Re: J.G.] #8091750 12/16/20 04:05 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

I know you'd love to argue, and that's fine. I've got a small list of haters and I don't give a chit. Reminder that you're on the list. I'm not conventional in your mind. You don't understand it, so you don't like it. That's on you, not me. Grow up.

[Linked Image]

Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8091880 12/16/20 05:35 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Wow guys.

Look around on some other forums and see how well Vortex is talked up.
For some they are great, for others not so much.

Not the chosen scope for mountain hunting I can say that, based on many comments and discussions online and in person.
I admit their warranty is great, just used frequently.

Re: Vortex Love [Re: Wytex] #8092388 12/17/20 12:45 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Wytex
Wow guys.

Look around on some other forums and see how well Vortex is talked up.
For some they are great, for others not so much.

Not the chosen scope for mountain hunting I can say that, based on many comments and discussions online and in person.
I admit their warranty is great, just used frequently.

Go on 24hourcampfire if you want some Leopold bashing.

Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8092611 12/17/20 03:29 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
And the Long Range Hunter crowd goes goo goo over them. About like election results, depending on where you look you can argue whichever side you want. I dropped a Luepy off a bench and scratched the piss out of it. It knocked it off but I rezeroed and it shot fine up until I took it off, it’s a back up scope right now. They all make bad scopes...we probably see more Vortex and Leupy scopes laying down because they sell more scopes...especially to the lower budget arena.

Nightforce, Khales, etc doesn’t make an entry level scope to have lay down...think about that for a moment.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Vortex Love [Re: Judd] #8092645 12/17/20 04:01 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
NF SHV is closer to entry level. Not sure about how many have been sent in. Haven't heard...

I've used only three of them. Had several show up and got used all day. No problems thus far.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8092935 12/17/20 02:33 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
SHV is still a thousand dollar scope...that is entry level NF not entry level scopes. You can get a Vortex Cross something other for less than $150 and a vx1 for not much more. SHV is far from an entry level scope.

SHV is a good scope, not taking anything away from it but entry level it's not wink

Point is....I bet you could multiply NF sales (non government) by 10x and still wouldn't be what Leupy or Vortex sales...with those numbers, you're going to see and hear about more laying down.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Vortex Love [Re: Judd] #8092971 12/17/20 03:00 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Judd
SHV is still a thousand dollar scope...that is entry level NF not entry level scopes. You can get a Vortex Cross something other for less than $150 and a vx1 for not much more. SHV is far from an entry level scope.

SHV is a good scope, not taking anything away from it but entry level it's not wink

Point is....I bet you could multiply NF sales (non government) by 10x and still wouldn't be what Leupy or Vortex sales...with those numbers, you're going to see and hear about more laying down.

Kinda like complaints on the F-150.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8093055 12/17/20 04:05 PM
T
TXMikeMcC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I'm around a lot of rifle scopes, and I've seen them all have issues; that includes March, NF, Khales, Vortex, etc. These are on rifles that usually see very high round counts, but a relatively comfortable life.

I've owned a bunch of them (lot of low end, and a lot of high end optics), and had issues myself.

That said, I probably wouldn't would trust any Vortex product other than a Razor/AMG if it was to be used on a rifle that needed to be 100% reliable all of the time. If forced to use a lower end Vortex, I would make damn sure I had my ring torque at 15in lbs and not any heavier.

A frozen high magnification scope and a scope checker is a valuable tool.

Last edited by TXMikeMcC; 12/17/20 04:07 PM.

F-T/R Shooter
Re: Vortex Love [Re: Judd] #8093303 12/17/20 07:14 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

When you’re boujee and chasing that authority, $1,000 is “entry level” if you want to maintain your cred. I pity the fool who can only spend $500 on a functioning scope and thinks it’s good. roflmao

Re: Vortex Love [Re: BigPig] #8093621 12/17/20 11:44 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BigPig

When you’re boujee and chasing that authority, $1,000 is “entry level” if you want to maintain your cred. I pity the fool who can only spend $500 on a functioning scope and thinks it’s good. roflmao

You might worry about cred, and status symbols. Other people worry about spending money on things that work, and not spending money on things that do not work. Never considering "cred".

And I've answered about a hundred rifle, ammo and scope questions for you in person, phone call, and text. You're not worth a damn.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Vortex Love [Re: J.G.] #8093802 12/18/20 02:18 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BigPig

You might worry about cred, and status symbols. Other people worry about spending money on things that work, and not spending money on things that do not work. Never considering "cred".

And I've answered about a hundred rifle, ammo and scope questions for you in person, phone call, and text. You're not worth a damn.

Do you not have a sense of humor at all?

Re: Vortex Love [Re: jdk1985] #8093843 12/18/20 02:49 AM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by jdk1985
Several will be here promptly, to critique you and/or vortex. Especially ladder climbers.

I've had nothing but good experience with them. Never used the warranty.

Good feedback

Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8094045 12/18/20 11:54 AM
W
watchale Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
[Linked Image]

Here’s a tracking test that was done on a different site. It’s just a tracking test but the Razors did well on it.

Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8094061 12/18/20 12:24 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
What do the numbers represent? Is it % correct. Also is that multiple scopes of each? Like 12 Razor and 15 ATAC tested?

Re: Vortex Love [Re: Buzzsaw] #8094292 12/18/20 03:38 PM
W
watchale Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
The chart is rewritten in a percentage of 100. A scope that tracked 99% moved the reticle 9.9 Mils when the optic was dialed to 10 Mils. A scope that tracks 101% moved the reticle 10.1 Mils when 10 Mils was dialed on. Scopes can vary in both directions.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide