Forums46
Topics538,321
Posts9,735,799
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: dogcatcher] #7951349 08/27/20 12:50 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by booskay

In the mean time do what most of my friends do. They hunt close to me, and when I shoot, they shoot at the same time and claim my bird.

roflmao

clap

This is good, you get to shoot your limit and their limit. smile ani

Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: Guy] #7951449 08/27/20 01:57 AM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Great advise from Guy I'd add practice mounting your gun in the mirror with your hunting clothes on. There is a big difference between having just a t-shirt on and being layered up and a heavy coat and wader straps.

I'd also add find a gun that fits you, go to a pro shop that can help you with this. Having a gun that fits you makes all the difference in the world.

Guy, who did you use for lessons? I shot clays and birds pretty well but am always looking to be better.

Last edited by 2flyfish4; 08/27/20 02:05 AM.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: 2flyfish4] #7951874 08/27/20 02:43 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4

Guy, who did you use for lessons?

Its been years since I talked to him. I just text him to see if he is still giving lessons, I'll let you know.

Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: Guy] #7951942 08/27/20 03:39 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4

Guy, who did you use for lessons?

Its been years since I talked to him. I just text him to see if he is still giving lessons, I'll let you know.

Apparently his number changed, Gaylen Capps is who I used, he might be retired.

Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: Guy] #7952024 08/27/20 04:42 PM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
What range was he associated with?

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: 2flyfish4] #7952034 08/27/20 04:49 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
OMG I just read on his FB page he passed, RIP Gaylen Capps, he was an excellent man. Once a week he would he would help the 4H kids at Elm Fork, this has got me choked up.

Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: Joseph Thomas] #7952773 08/28/20 06:30 AM
B
Bluesea112 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
There is something very important you need to do before you start practicing with your shotgun. You need to tune your shotgun to your natural hold. If you don't do this you will have a very hard time hitting anything that flies. When you throw your shotgun up to your shoulder your eye has to be looking at the same place the barrel will be shooting.
To tune (adjust) your shotgun cut a 4" length of drinking straw and tape it length ways to the top of the rib of your shotgun. Make sure it is perfectly aligned with rib. Next close your eyes and shoulder the shotgun as if you were going to shoot at a bird. When you do this you must keep your eyes closed and throw the shotgun up to your shoulder with your cheek resting against the stock as if you were about to pull the trigger on a bird. After you shoulder your shotgun open your eyes. If you are not looking straight down that drinking straw you need to adjust your stock position using shims. Make adjustments until you can open your eyes and be looking straight down that straw. Shims are thin pieces of metal that fit between the stock and the receiver. To insert them take the screws out of your butt pad and remove it. Then use a long flat blade screw driver to loosen the screw that holds your stock to the receiver. Insert the shims between your stock and receiver to adjust your stock up, down, left, or right and tighten your stock back to the receiver. Then close your eyes and shoulder your shotgun again. Once it's shouldered open your eyes and see if you need to make additional adjustments. If a shotgun is not adjusted to your natural hold you will have a very hard time hitting your target no matter how much you practice. Most people who complain that they are a terrible shot with a shotgun are shooting shotguns that have not been adjusted to their particular natural hold.
You can adjust your shotgun yourself using this method, or you can pay a professional a few hundred dollars to do the same thing to your gun.
If you don't take the time to adjust the shotgun to your particular hold you will waste your time practicing because you will never get better.

Last edited by Bluesea112; 08/28/20 06:52 AM.
Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: Joseph Thomas] #7952885 08/28/20 01:04 PM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Mr. Thomas....a good fitting shotgun is important but it is, most definitely, not the end of the world if you don’t have one. Too many people make it sound like you will never hit a thing unless you have a perfectly fitting shotgun, this is a gross exaggeration. A good shotgunner knows the sight picture he/she needs and will adjust accordingly. Watch videos, read articles and practice. If you have someone that can help, even better. Go out and enjoy, the learning will come.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: P_102] #7953549 08/28/20 11:04 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Fit is manly for kids. Most adults can take a gun off the rack and it fits fine, I know all my guns off the rack fit me fine. Back when I was really into all this in 2008, there was not much info out there, now there is a ton. I did google search on shotgun fit, this was at the top thought it was pretty good. I like his comment at the end, fit helps in a consistent mount. Here is where I think practice mounting in front of the mirror is good, if you can consistently mount in front of the mirror and you see eye is over the barrel correctly, you are good to go.

Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: Joseph Thomas] #7953612 08/28/20 11:54 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don’t know how I manage to hit a few every year. I’ve never shot a BB gun without sights or practiced looking in the mirror with my shotgun. My advice to the OP is to buy a bunch of cheap shells find a good place to dove hunt and start spraying lead at them. That’s how most of us learned to shoot. It’s been working for me for 45 years. My H&R didn’t fit me too good when I was 7 but I adapted to it and still managed to kill limits. When the spring broke I used a rubber band and electrical tape to spring the hammer for several years. When the end of the barrel split me dad sawed an inch off of it and it made for an even better quail downer. You can take all the lessons you want but time shooting is what will make you good at it.

Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: scalebuster] #7953700 08/29/20 01:18 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by scalebuster
I don’t know how I manage to hit a few every year. I’ve never shot a BB gun without sights or practiced looking in the mirror with my shotgun. My advice to the OP is to buy a bunch of cheap shells find a good place to dove hunt and start spraying lead at them. That’s how most of us learned to shoot. It’s been working for me for 45 years. My H&R didn’t fit me too good when I was 7 but I adapted to it and still managed to kill limits.

So you been shooting flying target 45 years killing limits at 7 years old. Well good for you but OP is not like you. If you go out shot clay and happy with the results and progress, keep practicing, otherwise, you can improve your shooting with education.

Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: Joseph Thomas] #7953957 08/29/20 01:05 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I was too old and too stubborn when I learned that being left eyed and shooting righty was not good for birds, it is fine for rifle.
If you are right eyed shoot righty, if you are left eyed shoot lefty. Switch NOW if are left/right, right/left
I can actually shoot skeet and trap pretty good as it is predictable and I can remember to close my left eye, hunting is unpredictable and exciting, remembering to close an eye doesn't always happen

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: Guy] #7953992 08/29/20 01:41 PM
T
txlenchs Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Nice video. When teaching my kids over the years, everyone puts their hold hand too high and their arm is not in a natural position. Had to get my girls a nice 20 auto for better fit and no kick. The other thing I always tell people is hold it strong and sturdy...and then actually try to physically pull push twist gun as they hold on to it...they get the picture of holding on tight very quickly. Always treat as loaded never point at anyone always treat as loaded.

Re: Never killed a flying anything, wanting to learn. [Re: erathar] #7954044 08/29/20 02:46 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by erathar
I just shoot birds while they are roosting or on power lines.

LOL my uncle would not shoot unless he could line them up on a fence and shoot a bunch.

OP go to Defender Outdoors (I believe that's the name) and let Travis give you a lesson, tell him Gary Fulton sent you.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide