Re: go devil outboards [Re: 1187 supermag] #795193 07/18/09 04:53 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Quote:

Quote:

MrbigTexan, I say don't listen to advice see for yourself. Who has a longtail that wants to run against my surface drive? Lets get Mrbigtexan and let him run yours and he can run mine. Let him decide for himself which one runs the muck better than the other.

Good idea Wal

If it were to happen it would be good to video record it too.

It would be a good video. Notice, no takers thus far. Long tails have there place, it just so happens its about a mile or two behind the surface drives.

Re: go devil outboards [Re: wal1809] #795194 07/18/09 07:37 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think I need to add Surface Drive vs Longtail to my THF Topic wheel.

Re: go devil outboards [Re: Guy] #795195 07/18/09 07:54 AM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

I think I need to add Surface Drive vs Longtail to my THF Topic wheel.

Nope, won't do any good, everybody know a surface drive beats the longtail anyday, and twice most days

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: go devil outboards [Re: Team Hillbilly] #795196 07/18/09 04:02 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
OK moderators I have to say sorry but I could not resist. Usually these topics get out of hand; Therefore I refuse to talk bad about another brand. I chose mine because I thought it was best for me. However, I can't let them that think a long tail can beat a surface drive at anything get by with it. Thus the "Let's get ready to rumble" post.

If someone were to say they bought a longtail because it was a lot cheaper, they only use it in areas with water, they only use it to and from the blind and don't need performance, I'll bite off of on that. But to tell me you bought or kept a long tail because of the performance, I am pushing the BS button and saying "Put it up or shut it up".

The only longtail that might keep up is the Go-Devil twin 23s. For obvious prop reasons it might keep up.

Re: go devil outboards [Re: wal1809] #795197 07/18/09 05:26 PM
1187 supermag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I thought your idea was a good one. Not because it could be a "rumble" , but because of the opportunity to see both different types of products/brands in different types of conditions first hand. Takes away all the guess work and speculation that a buyer may have and it would help make a good decision. If you get any takers, please keep me in the know. I'd try to be there to observe. I'm interested in purchasing a good duck rig too!

Take 'em!
Re: go devil outboards [Re: 1187 supermag] #795198 07/20/09 06:26 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
That is how I made my fianl decision on the last mud motor. I spoke with a dealer for Go-Devil and he said "Go look at the rest and when your ready I won't say anything to you, I'll just take your motor off and strap a demo on your boat. If you like it, buy it, if you don't like it then don't buy it." I went to his shop over by Baytown off of I-10 and we took my motor off and put his 5 your old demo on. My boat was like brand new. It was a completely differnet boat.

Now I got a smokin deal on the boat off of this forum. I pretty much got it for half off of dealer cost. The problem was it was a gator tunnel and the tunnel in a mud boat is absolutley wrong. They do not perform at all the way they are supposed to with a tunnel. Before the demo he told me to get it welded up. So I went to my bro in law and had the guys in the shop flip it and weld an aluminum plate across the bottom and down from the transom and sand it smooth. You can see where it was because of the paint on the transom but otherwise you couldn't tell it has a plate welded to the bottom.

With that done the rounded chines allow the boat to turn so hard it scares me. I don't push it as hard as it can turn. That is the kind of dealer I like. No pressure just here it is and if you want it buy it, if not don't. His theory is he had fun riding anyway. He didn't even get in my boat to ride. He took his and I took mine, we just went cruising and jumpin stuff.

He is also the kind of guy that will tell you right up front, "No boat will do it all, pick what you want the most and design your purchase in that direction". If you make arrangements with him he will get several style boats there and let you drive them all so you can see and feel the differnece in all of them.

The best thing I liked about him was this one particular thing. He absolutley refuses to talk about other brands of mud motors. If you try to engage in a negative conversation with Bart he will stop you and say "I won't bash my competition, if this motor does not sell itself then I don't want to sell it". Bart is a great guy and I respect that the most.

This is why I don't get caught up in those conversations on the internet. It is a waste of time to argue about it. I chose my motor because I wanted a very simple design that will get me from here to there and back. I don't need reverse and I don't need neutral. I don't want electric clutches in salt water. I don't need belles and whistles. If you want them buy them.

The other pointless part of the mud motor arguement is trying to state one is better at running the muck than the other. There are so many factors involved in running a mud boat that the motor is really not the issue. The hull makes a differnece, the weight in that hull makes a differnece, the hukk design makes a huge difference, propellers, I could go on and on but you get the idea.

The only arguement I will hold true to is how the surface drive will ablsoutely smoke a longtail. BUT, BUT they are designed for two differnet operations. That being said, longtails have their place. They are great for a dude that just goes from here to there and back and don't require anything more than a pusher. If thats is all I ever did then I would never have graduated from my first longtail, I would still be running it.

I think I said it earlier in this thread about going up river on a flooded river through timber can be dang dangerous in a longtail. They are not designed for that. The motor I have now can do it with ease. I don't know about anyone else but a 3 hour boat ride up a river in the dark is not a fun experience. If it is then you just don't know how dangerous it is.

Anyhow 1187 I would like to see you come down if we have a get longtail showdown. If I make it north with the mudrig your welcome to take it for a spin. Just have the money ready to go get you one because your going to get hooked when you run it. Then again you might only need the longtail and you can get some really hot smokin deals on longtails right now if you look hard enough.

Re: go devil outboards [Re: wal1809] #795199 07/20/09 06:39 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Here some go info for you guys, found on another site.

What: The 5th Annual Mud Buddy Texas Round Up

When: July 25th

Where: Lake Livingston -- Trinity,TX ( Outback Campgrounds--www.outbackcampground.com)

Once again I am honored to be your chairman of this great event that started it all. Below is the intinerary of his years event and all the locale specifics:

9am -- 1pm (dealers and prostaff) will be running demo for all of those coming to check out the latest that Mud Buddy, Excel and Gator Trax have to offer running in The Jungle.

9am --1 pm ( event goers) will be out looking for those famous decoys that yield great prizes.

1:30pm -- 4:00pm Break for lunch and rest--we are looking to have a shrimp boil this year and I'm gonna need a show of hands if you are coming so that we can get a somewhat accurate headcount to get enough food. more to come on that...

4:15pm -- 6:30pm The Fun Run up the Trinity River ( brang your cameras boys, it's purty)

After the run we will meet up somewhere for some grub. Still checkin for the best "trough". Anyone that knows good grub in that area, please speak up!!

Accommodations: Please mention you are with the Mud Buddy Group

* Outback Campgrounds ( event locale)
www.outbackcampground.com
(936)594-3961

They have a/c cabanas, kitchenettes, cabins and a house for rent. Very nice and very reasonable. Still has availability.

* Bethy Creek Resort
www.bethycreek.com
(936)594-2511

This is a very nice place located a few miles by boat from the event locale. Very nice accommodations and a great place for those fellers who wanna group up for a place to stay. Many of their accommodations are large that hold 4-6 people. Reasonable rates for groups of folks who want a place to call home for the weekend. All accommodations are 2 night minimum so be sure and book for fri and sat night. Cabins are available.

* Lake Country Inn
(936)594-3526

This is a motel located in the town of Trinity, just a few miles from Outback Campgrounds. Plenty of availability.

The town of Trinity is just minutes from the event for any and all of our needs--gas, snacks, drinks, ice, etc....

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: go devil outboards [Re: wal1809] #795200 07/20/09 06:57 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Some body has got to have a long tail they are willing to put up against a challenge. Dang I wish I still had mine. I would be willing to run in and be responsible for any damage (not that there would be any). Yes the surface drive is faster, but I would like to follow the surface drive for an half hour and let the surface drive follow me for a half hour. Take the 7mph or so difference out of the equation. And a long tail is very easy to drive in deep water, in fact I could drive mine from anywhere in the boat by just leaning to one side or the other. If you can't do that with your it is not set up properly, and I could have it set up in a matter of minutes.

I would actually like to be proved wrong, because I really really want to rather a surface drive. We can make it a friendly bet, and video for the THF.

Last edited by helomech; 07/20/09 09:00 PM.
Re: go devil outboards [Re: helomech] #795201 07/20/09 08:46 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I don't know where you get the longtail is faster than a surface drive. I have found that to be extremely the opposite. I sertainly don't mind you following behind all you want. I just don't want to have to go to half throttle when it it my turn to follow.

Re: go devil outboards [Re: wal1809] #795202 07/20/09 08:59 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Quote:

I don't know where you get the longtail is faster than a surface drive. I have found that to be extremely the opposite. I sertainly don't mind you following behind all you want. I just don't want to have to go to half throttle when it it my turn to follow.

No I know the surface drive is faster. But they are both still slow. Mine ran 22 mph with me in it and that was with a 23 hp. The surface drive runs what about 28 mph. If I wrote the long tail was faster it was a typo.

I went back and re read it, and I accidentally wrote long tail instead of surface drive, but I fixed in now.

Re: go devil outboards [Re: helomech] #795203 07/20/09 09:14 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I kind of figured it was a typo but I had to to get the smack in there while you weren't looking.

Re: go devil outboards [Re: wal1809] #795204 07/20/09 09:19 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I aint sure how you got 23 mph out of a longtail. Mine was 12mph with the wind behind you (really) and 8mph loaded for bear. I loved it when I bought it and was never more glad to get rid of a boat in my life. Now with just me I am guessing in the upper 20s and loaded down heavy (1000 lbs) 18 to 22.

Now my brother has lost all of his excess weight and I am onthe road to it. So maybe I can enhance the performance of the boat as well as myself by eating right.

Re: go devil outboards [Re: wal1809] #795205 07/20/09 09:21 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Quote:

I kind of figured it was a typo but I had to to get the smack in there while you weren't looking.

LMAO

Re: go devil outboards [Re: wal1809] #795206 07/20/09 09:26 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Quote:

I aint sure how you got 23 mph out of a longtail. Mine was 12mph with the wind behind you (really) and 8mph loaded for bear. I loved it when I bought it and was never more glad to get rid of a boat in my life. Now with just me I am guessing in the upper 20s and loaded down heavy (1000 lbs) 18 to 22.

Now my brother has lost all of his excess weight and I am onthe road to it. So maybe I can enhance the performance of the boat as well as myself by eating right.

When I had it full of gear for bow fishing it would run about 12. And that was with 3 guys, 2 ice chests, bows, ice, beer, and a 5k watt generator mounted above the motor. One night when I bent my shaft with 4 people on board it would only do about 8, and it was shaking so bad I had a hard time seeing. How long was your boat? Mine was 16 foot, and 42 inches wide. A long tail runs faster with a long skinny boat than a short wide one. And my boat was light, it was not a go devil hull. It was just a all weld hull.

The 72" shafts are faster than the 60" shafts, and the height of the transom plays a huge roll in speed. The lower the transom the faster it will run.

Last edited by helomech; 07/20/09 09:26 PM.
Re: go devil outboards [Re: tjs011] #795207 07/21/09 06:46 AM
M
Matt M Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
check out www.prodriveoutboards.com full power reverse I went for a ride in one at the factory. All I can say is WOW good luck getting it stuck and stumps and logs didnt affect us at all we backed out of a slew right over logs in reverse with no problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-3s9c-of5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IBtc3jDYGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8wQj1WQiGc

Re: go devil outboards [Re: Matt M] #795208 07/21/09 02:31 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
My first one one 17 foot, it was a dog. I love it for close in hunting but the long trips just got old. We used to go 6 miles across open water of the bay to get to the marsh and another mile into the marsh. That just got old. Then when the wind would kick up, nightmare time. It was a pure cardio workout, pulling the tiller to keep it straight over the wave and then pushing it to keep it straight. It wore me out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide