Forums46
Topics539,570
Posts9,751,197
Members87,167
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: okstatefan] #7903292 07/16/20 10:43 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by okstatefan
Now is a good time to practice fundamentals. I don't see the benefit of blasting hundreds of rounds down range in times like these. Lately, I've been loading 2 or 3 rounds in a bunch of magazines and working more on drawing, acquiring the target, and mag changes.

A regime that I sometimes employ is what I call the "hot seat" where I take a single shot within a short time window while sitting at the bench. The clock starts at the point at which I begin to shoulder the rifle and rest the forearm on sandbags with no other rest, much like the shots I'll be making from my tripod. After several minutes has passed after each shot, I repeat the steps so that everything begins anew. The idea is to create a practice situation that mimics those single chances you get in the woods.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Kevin1] #7903534 07/17/20 02:50 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Kevin1
Originally Posted by Roughneck913
The mag shortage is coming. Sales are outpacing production on them, its just easier to stockpile a million spare mags than it is to stockpile a million rifles, so it's taking longer for them to disappear. This craziness won't end until after the election, and if it goes the wrong way, It may continue past that. I fully expect EOs on gun control after the election if the Dems don't control both houses and the white house. CJ John Roberts has proven unreliable and will probably side with the left-wing of the court to not hear any cases that are brought against the feds in regards to gun rights.

I see the relationship between the elections and AR15/Mags. But why the ammo shortage? I don't think the dems are planning to ban 9mm ammo in the near future.

Talk to someone in NYC, Chicago or California. The Dems love to put all kinds of restrictions and taxes on ammo.

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Kevin1] #7903907 07/17/20 04:08 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
Surprisingly reloading components are still available. I have enough to last for a good while.

But I only reload for my rifles. My main pistol caliber is 9mm. I still have a few thousands rounds of 9mm but I’ve almost stopped shooting and have not bough a single box of 9mm for the last few month. I can’t find 357 mag either and only have a few hundred of those. I’m definitely considering getting into reloading the 357 and maybe the 9mm. I only have a single stage press and reloading 9mm isn’t that appealing to me.

I was also able to buy a new overpriced Radical Firearms SOCOM this week that I plan on keeping NIB if the elections go the wrong way.

Overall, I’m much better prepared than Sandy Hook and I’m not losing any sleep over the shortage. It's annoying though.

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Kevin1] #7904496 07/18/20 01:58 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Kevin,
try a Dillon 550. The cost is tolerable and makes loading pistol ammo go much faster than a single stage.

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Kevin1] #7904585 07/18/20 04:39 AM
T
TXJaeger Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I was in a Bass Pro Shop recently and I saw a family buying a .380 S&W - and by all means, they shouldn't be allowed to buy a gun.
They never saw a Pistol except on TV, they had no clue what this thing does or how it works.
Let's say there will be Riots in San Ygnacio, lets say someone will threaten them in their home. How will that story end?
If the Lady pulls the gun she will hurt most likely herself, or her family members. I just checked the time, from the moment they started the paperwork until the guy went over to double-check: 41min passed.
Seriously, if you can't fill the form you shouldn't be armed.

I know it is her right, and I know how most people think about the 2nd Amendment but honestly, you should consider a licensing to own and buy guns - instead of the ATF check of course, and restrict the Weapons by the level of license you have.
(Hand Guns, Rifles, Shotguns, Automatics)
You need a License for almost all things simple or not - Driving, Sailing, Fishing, Hunting, Working, etc. etc. why not for guns? I am not against armed people in general, or against the 2nd or freedom or anything, I am just concerned about the
safety of the pandemic gun owners, their surroundings, and what impact the accidents will have that will happen sooner or later.

Making a long story short - I predict that the misuse of Firearms in 2021-2022 caused by pandemic buyers will bring drastic changes in gun laws. No matter who will be in the White House.

Weidmannsheil - Weidmannsdank
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: TXJaeger] #7904628 07/18/20 11:31 AM
R
RSTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TXJaeger
Making a long story short - I predict that the misuse of Firearms in 2021-2022 caused by pandemic buyers will bring drastic changes in gun laws. No matter who will be in the White House.

While I do get your point, I do not support more gun laws than we already have.

Also, I doubt we will see a large increase in the misuse of firearms in 2021-22. If someone is already uncomfortable with the weapon they will not play with it or casually brandish it. It will probably stay out of sight and out of the way. Many people will probably sell them when/if things settle down. If we are lucky, some of the newbies may even take a course to learn how to shoot and enjoy it. Hey, I am an optimist. smile

Rick

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: TXJaeger] #7904660 07/18/20 12:40 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I was in a Bass Pro Shop recently and I saw a family buying a .380 S&W - and by all means, they shouldn't be allowed to buy a gun.
They never saw a Pistol except on TV, they had no clue what this thing does or how it works.
Let's say there will be Riots in San Ygnacio, lets say someone will threaten them in their home. How will that story end?
If the Lady pulls the gun she will hurt most likely herself, or her family members. I just checked the time, from the moment they started the paperwork until the guy went over to double-check: 41min passed.

I know it is her right, and I know how most people think about the 2nd Amendment but honestly, you should consider a licensing to own and buy guns - instead of the ATF check of course, and restrict the Weapons by the level of license you have.
You need a License for almost all things simple or not - Driving, Sailing, Fishing, Hunting, Working, etc. etc. why not for guns? I am not against armed people in general, or against the 2nd or freedom or anything, I am just concerned about the
safety of the pandemic gun owners, their surroundings, and what impact the accidents will have that will happen sooner or later.

You can't honestly say you support the 2nd Amendment if you're advocating "Licensing to own and buy guns." 2nd Amendment contradicts that.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: TXJaeger] #7904664 07/18/20 12:48 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

A common European approach. I'm not attacking in any way and I understand your reasoning. Laws to protect people from themselves. But we let folks work things out for themselves here. It's sometimes messy. It's why some Europeans look at us with disdain. But it's also how we've become the most powerful nation on earth.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: TXJaeger] #7904753 07/18/20 03:50 PM
J
JCB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J

Jiminy focking cricket, I don't even know where to start with this one!!! Lets just address the red part I guess.

Lets make this easy and just say that gun ownership is a right protected by the Constitution and that right "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"!! "Driving, Sailing, Fishing, Hunting, Working, etc. etc." are not protected by the Constitution and are not rights.

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Kevin1] #7904796 07/18/20 04:51 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Driver's licenses stop car crashes from happening too.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Texas Dan] #7904912 07/18/20 07:36 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm up in MN to play some golf in cooler weather. Stopped by the new Scheels in Eden Prairie and their ammo section is packed and stocked. No shortages here. The are limiting ammo purchases to 1,000 rounds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: TXJaeger] #7904917 07/18/20 07:39 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

And it's none of your damn business what they do as long as the buyer can pass the background check.

Screw that license crap too

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: RSTX] #7904997 07/18/20 09:51 PM
T
TXJaeger Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Driver's licenses stop car crashes from happening too.

They for sure do. Could you imagine how many would happen without it? If you like statistics, you can see how accidents and training are related. You can never avoid all accidents, but most.

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

A common European approach. I'm not attacking in any way and I understand your reasoning. Laws to protect people from themselves. But we let folks work things out for themselves here. It's sometimes messy. It's why some Europeans look at us with disdain. But it's also how we've become the most powerful nation on earth.

You are properly right. Different cultures different bo**s. I should have thought about that before posting xD

Originally Posted by JCB

Jiminy focking cricket, I don't even know where to start with this one!!! Lets just address the red part I guess.

Lets make this easy and just say that gun ownership is a right protected by the Constitution and that right "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"!! "Driving, Sailing, Fishing, Hunting, Working, etc. etc." are not protected by the Constitution and are not rights.

Don't get mad, I shared a thought, I am neither a lawmaker nor a politician, take it easy.

Originally Posted by RSTX

While I do get your point, I do not support more gun laws than we already have.

Also, I doubt we will see a large increase in the misuse of firearms in 2021-22. If someone is already uncomfortable with the weapon they will not play with it or casually brandish it. It will probably stay out of sight and out of the way. Many people will probably sell them when/if things settle down. If we are lucky, some of the newbies may even take a course to learn how to shoot and enjoy it. Hey, I am an optimist. smile

Time will tell, right? I hope you are right and things are going in a good direction but as most germans, I am pessimistic.

Weidmannsheil - Weidmannsdank
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Kevin1] #7905014 07/18/20 10:05 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Don't know if its been said but the other issue with the shortage had to do with the manufacturing plants being forced closed.

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: The Dude Abides] #7905036 07/18/20 10:35 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
It won't stay like that for long. Ours looked like that after it opened when the corona crap let up a bit....now it's as empty as any other store in 100 miles of D/FW. Are prices "normal" or elevated at that Scheels? They've gone up quite a bit at the one here. I noticed they had Federal 9mm HST yesterday, at $40 per 50 round box. While GT Distributiors still had it they were still at $25 for the same but of course they have nothing now.

Earl

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
I'm up in MN to play some golf in cooler weather. Stopped by the new Scheels in Eden Prairie and their ammo section is packed and stocked. No shortages here. The are limiting ammo purchases to 1,000 rounds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Earl; 07/18/20 10:38 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Earl] #7905102 07/18/20 11:46 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Earl
It won't stay like that for long. Ours looked like that after it opened when the corona crap let up a bit....now it's as empty as any other store in 100 miles of D/FW. Are prices "normal" or elevated at that Scheels? They've gone up quite a bit at the one here. I noticed they had Federal 9mm HST yesterday, at $40 per 50 round box. While GT Distributiors still had it they were still at $25 for the same but of course they have nothing now.

Earl

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Prices were a little higher than MSRP.

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 07/18/20 11:46 PM.

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Kevin1] #7905529 07/19/20 04:10 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Surprisingly reloading components are still available. I have enough to last for a good while.

But I only reload for my rifles. My main pistol caliber is 9mm. I still have a few thousands rounds of 9mm but I’ve almost stopped shooting and have not bough a single box of 9mm for the last few month. I can’t find 357 mag either and only have a few hundred of those. I’m definitely considering getting into reloading the 357 and maybe the 9mm. I only have a single stage press and reloading 9mm isn’t that appealing to me.

I was also able to buy a new overpriced Radical Firearms SOCOM this week that I plan on keeping NIB if the elections go the wrong way.

Overall, I’m much better prepared than Sandy Hook and I’m not losing any sleep over the shortage. It's annoying though.

Working in the industry and seeing the volume at which reloading components are flying out, Id say your first statement wont be true long. Reloading components and progressive presses are selling at a rate of about 6-7x last year. That isnt sustainable for Hornady, Dillon, or any other ammo/reloading company

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Roughneck913] #7905578 07/19/20 05:06 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

Working in the industry and seeing the volume at which reloading components are flying out, Id say your first statement wont be true long. Reloading components and progressive presses are selling at a rate of about 6-7x last year. That isnt sustainable for Hornady, Dillon, or any other ammo/reloading company

This is correct and if Trump gets re-elected just think of all the great buys next Black Friday and all the folks who never opened the boxes on their reloading presses getting rid of them. Something to look forward to.
I have a friend who has bought 2 Dillon 650’s and two 550’s during each of the last few years panic all were sold unused. He now has another 550 just in case.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: DStroud] #7907881 07/21/20 02:57 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by DStroud

This is correct and if Trump gets re-elected just think of all the great buys next Black Friday and all the folks who never opened the boxes on their reloading presses getting rid of them. Something to look forward to.
I have a friend who has bought 2 Dillon 650’s and two 550’s during each of the last few years panic all were sold unused. He now has another 550 just in case.

I hope this happens, but frankly, Im not holding my breath. Even if Trump wins, the election is too clase to Black Friday to make any difference there, you wont see everythign caught up until February of 2021 or so. And If Trump wins, I half expect riots nad "protests" that will dwarf what has been happening the last couple months for at least a while. If I was a betting man, 9mm ammo will be readily avalable at prices from a year ago sometime around March or April of next year, IF Trump wins. If Biden wins? All bets are off.

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Roughneck913] #7908181 07/21/20 07:02 PM
Wilson Combat Online Content
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
I've been in the firearm industry since 1974 and have talked to several colleagues that have been in the industry even longer. Some are movers and shakers in BIG companies and the consensus seems to be as follows:

#1 None of us have ever seen demand like this before, it's like all the past buying panics combined.

#2 Product deliveries have been hampered to some degree due to employee illness and company shutdowns.

#3 Demand for ALL self-defense products has been accelerating, especially during the past month

#4 No one I've talked to expects any slow down until 2021 Q2 at the earliest no matter how the election goes

#5 We're lucky and Trump wins and the Repubs retain at lease one branch. In this scenario most of us see a melt down by the left and their media lap dogs resulting in massive riots and unrest which will continue to fuel more demand for self-defense products. In this scenario I predict the manic will last until mid to late 2021 or until the uprising is quelled.

#6 Heaven forbid Biden wins, but we're still somewhat lucky and retain then senate. In this scenario there will be a major push for gun control and all the Dem induced crime will be blamed on us. BUT hopefully there will be enough Repubs with a spine to prevent any major infringement on our 2A rights. The buying frenzy will gradually fade, but there will be a new "normal" with overall higher prices than we saw in 2019.

#7 Worst case scenario, Biden wins with a rabid anti-gun VP like Warren and the Dems take control of both houses. Gun control here we come, we'll loose a lot of 2A rights and panic buying by the core gun owners will remain high for as long as we can still own guns.....

At Wilson Combat we're full speed ahead and not planning on a slow down until mid 2021 at the earliest. Currently we're shipping a LOT more product than we ever have and our back orders are going up EVERY day!!!

My $ .02 worth

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Kevin1] #7908492 07/21/20 11:19 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Most on here have enough to start a war and are not worried. If your one of the Folks that lack, buy while you can.

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Wilson Combat] #7908503 07/21/20 11:26 PM
R
RSTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Great post, Mr. Wilson!

Rick

Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: DStroud] #7908532 07/21/20 11:52 PM
J
jsteve Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DStroud

Could you, would you, maybe just maybe, share your friend with me? Perty please?
I was thinking of what great deals are ahead for many. I am holding off buying any more firearms but I am still looking for and buying reloading components and ammo if it's a descent price.
Kevin 1, I load on a single stage, RCBS Rockchucker, and just finished depriming/sizing and cleaning out flashholes in 400 9mm. Have 200 38 special in the tumbler now. I get those done and I will be out of brass to work with for a while. I just don't trust a progressive, maybe it's really I just like the feel of each stage and the ability to look and see at each stage. I am looking to get a turret press soon though. A long time ago I used an old C&H press that had 4 stations. I only used 3 and hand primed but I kept it set up just for my 44 mag. Loved that press and would like to find another. It looked like this one http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/044000 . Back then all I loaded was for revolvers but my friend had one just like it and he had his set up just for his 45 ACP and he used all 4 stations, seperated the bullet seating from the taper crimp.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Wilson Combat] #7908596 07/22/20 12:45 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
I've been in the firearm industry since 1974 and have talked to several colleagues that have been in the industry even longer. Some are movers and shakers in BIG companies and the consensus seems to be as follows:

#1 None of us have ever seen demand like this before, it's like all the past buying panics combined.

#2 Product deliveries have been hampered to some degree due to employee illness and company shutdowns.

#3 Demand for ALL self-defense products has been accelerating, especially during the past month

#4 No one I've talked to expects any slow down until 2021 Q2 at the earliest no matter how the election goes

#5 We're lucky and Trump wins and the Repubs retain at lease one branch. In this scenario most of us see a melt down by the left and their media lap dogs resulting in massive riots and unrest which will continue to fuel more demand for self-defense products. In this scenario I predict the manic will last until mid to late 2021 or until the uprising is quelled.

#6 Heaven forbid Biden wins, but we're still somewhat lucky and retain then senate. In this scenario there will be a major push for gun control and all the Dem induced crime will be blamed on us. BUT hopefully there will be enough Repubs with a spine to prevent any major infringement on our 2A rights. The buying frenzy will gradually fade, but there will be a new "normal" with overall higher prices than we saw in 2019.

#7 Worst case scenario, Biden wins with a rabid anti-gun VP like Warren and the Dems take control of both houses. Gun control here we come, we'll loose a lot of 2A rights and panic buying by the core gun owners will remain high for as long as we can still own guns.....

At Wilson Combat we're full speed ahead and not planning on a slow down until mid 2021 at the earliest. Currently we're shipping a LOT more product than we ever have and our back orders are going up EVERY day!!!

My $ .02 worth

Thanks for your insight. I'm scared to death of #7

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Gun and ammo shortage: what’s your prediction? [Re: Kevin1] #7908694 07/22/20 02:28 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
The price gouging has begun. On ammoseek and founs 20 rounds of remington 120 gr OTFB for $45!!! Alamo ammo won't be getting any of my business for sure!

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide