Print Thread
Financial Incentives in Healthcare- CV19 #7896421 07/10/20 02:52 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
In our currently constructed healthcare compensation systems all players, including doctors, make much more money by treating symptoms of a disease rather than preventing the disease from occurring in the first place.

Here is good article discussing how is system is currently playing out in regards to CV-19.

https://news.yahoo.com/plasma-shot-could-prevent-coronavirus-130023057.html

But scientists who question the delay argue that the immunity shots are easy to scale up and should enter clinical trials immediately. They say that until there's a vaccine, the shots offer the only plausible method for preventing potentially millions of infections at a critical moment in the pandemic.

“Beyond being a lost opportunity, this is a real head-scratcher,” said Dr. Michael Joyner, a Mayo Clinic researcher who leads a program sponsored by the Food and Drug Administration to capitalize on coronavirus antibodies from COVID-19 survivors. “It seems obvious.”Financial calculations may be another factor for companies. Intravenous plasma products are traditionally the main economic driver for the industry, supply experts said, in part because vaccines have replaced many short-term immunity shots over the years. The money-making antibodies are also far more diluted in intravenous drugs than in injectable ones, which boosts profit margins.

“They charge a fortune off of intravenous drugs in the hospital. They don't want to devote the manufacturing plant to something that won't make oodles of money,” said one infectious disease expert, who has advocated for coronavirus Ig shots but asked not to be publicly identified.

Re: Financial Incentives in Healthcare- CV19 [Re: mattyg06] #7896438 07/10/20 03:19 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Without even reading the article, this is what I’ve said for a while. It’s one big cycle that starts early in life, eventually our environment “intake” gets the best of us, we go to the doc, they prescribe newest, highest paying out meds that cause more issues than fixing the original ones, we go back, get OTHER newer high paying meds to offset those symptoms. We don’t change our environment or intake otherwise, so the original issues still remain. Most older proven meds that are out of patent are forgotten about. We take the meds till the next month, when we get re-fills over and over and over.

Maybe later I’ll go further into what I mean by “intake”

Yes there are some new good meds, and yes there ARE good doctors out there, and this is a general statement

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Financial Incentives in Healthcare- CV19 [Re: mattyg06] #7896447 07/10/20 03:30 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Financial Incentives in Healthcare- CV19 [Re: mattyg06] #7896456 07/10/20 03:34 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So lets ask the question, would you take a immune therapy shot made from another humans antibodies, to give temporary "protection" against covid?

I created a poll earlier about whether people would take a vaccine if available, and the results were about 50/50 if I remember correct.
Given that data, I bet the number of takers would be even less, given the low but real chance of shot reactions, only temporary "protection" and the off chance you get something else other than just covid antibodies......

yeah hard pass for me.

Now the real question is the "why" of the article. Why don't we develop these things and instead choose to treat "sick people" instead.
My guess, and this is only a guess, is it has something to do with the low mortality rate, sub 1%. Why subject a whole population to a risk when you can isolate those at risk (the sick) and treat them better. We know the vast vast majority of people who contract covid will be just fine, if not asymptomatic. For them, this would be a cost that is unnecessary, increased risk from the actual disease, and impact their life (I gotta go get a shot which pulls me away from work, life, etc). I saw where the article said maybe giving this to health care workers until a vaccine comes out. Thats a thought, but as I said, I wouldn't take it, I haven't caught covid yet, so I don't feel it is needed, and typically health care workers are pretty good at taking care of themselves from a PPE and hand washing standpoint anyway, so the reality is most probably wouldn't take it either. Just my thoughts.
Sometimes it isn't all about the money. The reality is if this were instituted and "forced" on people in certain "high risk" areas (either work forces or geography) you would see nothing but more belly aching about govt forcing something else down on us. If it was a voluntary thing, I would suspect very few would actually take it. The business model probably didn't make sense to the manufacturers anymore than it does to me.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 07/10/20 03:35 PM.
Re: Financial Incentives in Healthcare- CV19 [Re: mattyg06] #7896473 07/10/20 03:46 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Intake=It starts with the foods NOT necessarily good for constant human consumption, that are taught to be, starting from a very early age. We aren’t equipped to process the foods we’ve become so dam good at cultivating in mass quantities. Along with altering the genetic makeup, preserving for year round sales of these foods. When you put groceries away, really look at everything WE have that’s processed, in bags, bags IN boxes, cans, bottles, that are all made up of so many ingredients we have 0 clue about and we are told to be safe, by the people we are supposed to be able to trust.

Personally, I think dang near ALL the names of ingredients you can’t pronounce that go into any of our foods, while they SAY they’re not harmful NOW, over 10, 20, 30, 40yrs on through a lifetime, they can build up or at least have a small effect on our bodies. Little by little causing immeasurable amounts of harm and we don’t feel it. We are used to it until one day whatever ailment you have gets bad enough to send you to the doctor for the newest, greatest drug for that 1 symptom, just to cause 2,3 or more other symptoms. But that doc gets paid, the pharmacy gets paid, the drug company gets paid, which means all the politicians get paid, which in turn keeps any and all manufacturers of the food growers in business, in the perpetual cycle.

FF in life, on morning you’re in a hurry, your truck is on E. You stop to get fuel but that pos gas nozzle is jacked up and sprays your hand with gas or diesel. You’re at the cruddy gas station that doesn’t have a working bathroom so you deal with it till you get to work and finally wash your hands to get the smell off. You keep the windows open because your head starts hurting from the pungent fumes. The azz hat in front of you is a 19yr old who is in his big “new to him” truck and just LOVES his new programmer and exhaust that blows black smoke everywhere, and he just keeps on doing it, even though your window is open and you’re choking on the black cloud. Well the entire time your pissy self was driving, those chemicals are soaking into your skin. Intake/environment. Think about how many things we ingest somehow that ain’t natural or good for us on a daily basis, for a LONG period of time.

[Linked Image]
Re: Financial Incentives in Healthcare- CV19 [Re: mattyg06] #7896481 07/10/20 03:55 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
I was told by a doc who would know that 2500 IU of D3 and 50 mg of Zinc goes a long way as a prophylactic against infection. I take supplements as it is. I figure a few more can't hurt.

fwiw, I stick myself multiple times a day to check blood glucose. After seeing with my own eyes the profound changes to my blood from taking fish oil (omega 3), I'm a believer in supplements.

Re: Financial Incentives in Healthcare- CV19 [Re: Bullfrog] #7896487 07/10/20 04:00 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So bullfrong, you go around life in a hazmat suit eating only soylent green?

I agree with you about a lot of that stuff, but the bottom line is we all gotta die somehow and sometime. If we live long enough, something will take us down, and thats just nature. Can we personally do better eating better foods and not all the processed crap, absolutely. I personally think the "low-fat" diet fad of the 80's and 90's was terrible for the population of the US, but so was the invention of the TV, video game consoles, movie theaters,and more importantly the automobile, automation, etc....we can look at a cascade of things that have made our lives more un-natural and more sedentary. I would argue and have argued, for the majority of people, the issue is simply too much in and not enough out. If we as a country were more fit, less fat, less lazy, we would be sooooooooooooo much better off. The processed foods come a distant third to maybe fifth in my list of evils of today and health.

Theres so much more i don't want to delve into with your post, but I would be happy to discuss with you via PM if you want. The whole medicine issue and all that.

Re: Financial Incentives in Healthcare- CV19 [Re: mattyg06] #7896509 07/10/20 04:18 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Lol TB, no I don’t. I struggle with a mask when I’m made to wear it. My point is just our environment cause more harm than we could ever know or measure and we don’t realize it. Mind you, I’m 100% just as guilty with the intake of evils.
I DO think there is a ton of “good” that’s come the medical world. When you insert the $ factor, in or out, and all that it effects in some way, then the politics factor with all of its contributing factors, who benefits from any part of the cycle,
It makes my head hurt just trying to wrap my head around it. And that’s IF all the info I’ve been provided is accurate or correct, and NOT just smoke and mirrors that I’m lead to believe.

I will PM you. Take it easy on me with the big words man. roflmao

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide