Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: freerange] #7754528 02/24/20 12:05 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I think it depends on the location as far as how long the deer take to get on the corn. My feeders ran out at the end of December, filled everything yesterday and within an hour deer were back in a couple pens. By the evening basically every feeder had deer at them. Definitely not normal traffic yet but it won’t take more than a week to have them back at it.

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: freerange] #7754571 02/24/20 12:49 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I like to turn the corn off when weather allows me to plant food plots. Higher protein that keeps replenishing itself and is a one time deal. Plant a few acres of Iron & Clay cowpeas in various spots and hope to get a rain or two on them till frost kills them. Corn is next to nothing as far as a good nutrient.

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: Creekrunner] #7754933 02/24/20 02:32 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by PMK
...central Texas, year around, my ranch is on a wildlife improvement management exemption and that's part of my annual plan I have to submit to the county.

The county CAD accepts corn as part of your plan? I've only seen minimum 16% protein listed under "provide supplemental food".

yep ... but I do not have deer listed as part of my plan up ... turkey and songbirds ... so I usually put in 250 lbs corn and 50 lbs milo per filling. The biologist recommended not including deer as that throws more requirements into the mix

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: PMK] #7754957 02/24/20 02:49 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by PMK
...central Texas, year around, my ranch is on a wildlife improvement management exemption and that's part of my annual plan I have to submit to the county.

The county CAD accepts corn as part of your plan? I've only seen minimum 16% protein listed under "provide supplemental food".

yep ... but I do not have deer listed as part of my plan up ... turkey and songbirds ... so I usually put in 250 lbs corn and 50 lbs milo per filling. The biologist recommended not including deer as that throws more requirements into the mix

You sly devil. Good to know! up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: Creekrunner] #7754962 02/24/20 02:55 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by PMK

You sly devil. Good to know! up

I need to remember that.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: freerange] #7755016 02/24/20 03:45 PM
L
LanceH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
I run 2 feeders CORN ONLY. 2 seconds in the morning and 2 seconds in the evening. No protein or plots or anything else. WHY??? Only 40 acres surrounded by deer leases in Harrison County. I feed corn just to try and keep a deer or 2 coming around. I know they do not live on my property and deer travel. I am lucky to see deer. The last buck I killed was 3 seasons ago and the only reason I was able to take that deer was he chased a doe off the neighbors property onto mine.

With that being said, I am looking for some advice. The timber was thinned 2 years ago and much of my hardwood bottom was destroyed by a tornado. It has all grown up horribly bad in thick briars and brush. I do mow the pipeline for rifle hunting and I have a couple of ladder stands for bow hunting. Should I mow the pipeline as wide as I can or should I only mow a couple of strips?

Not many options for bow hunting except maintained trails with hand corn. The brush is so thick I can't get anywhere else.

Thanks,
Lance

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: LanceH] #7755084 02/24/20 04:28 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by LanceH
I run 2 feeders CORN ONLY. 2 seconds in the morning and 2 seconds in the evening. No protein or plots or anything else. WHY??? Only 40 acres surrounded by deer leases in Harrison County. I feed corn just to try and keep a deer or 2 coming around. I know they do not live on my property and deer travel. I am lucky to see deer. The last buck I killed was 3 seasons ago and the only reason I was able to take that deer was he chased a doe off the neighbors property onto mine.

With that being said, I am looking for some advice. The timber was thinned 2 years ago and much of my hardwood bottom was destroyed by a tornado. It has all grown up horribly bad in thick briars and brush. I do mow the pipeline for rifle hunting and I have a couple of ladder stands for bow hunting. Should I mow the pipeline as wide as I can or should I only mow a couple of strips?

Not many options for bow hunting except maintained trails with hand corn. The brush is so thick I can't get anywhere else.

Thanks,
Lance

I'm no biologist, but we did own 120 acres out of San Augustine since 1899 until just a couple of years ago. The neighbor told me how I'd cut the timber wrong, but he was always hemming and hawing about being able to hunt it. (I'm sure he did.) It was all grown up with brush. The wildlife loved it. Your 40 might become a sanctuary. Others will chime in. I bet you could try a food plot. Good luck!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: Creekrunner] #7755212 02/24/20 06:09 PM
L
LanceH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L

Thanks,
Lance

I'm no biologist, but we did own 120 acres out of San Augustine since 1899 until just a couple of years ago. The neighbor told me how I'd cut the timber wrong, but he was always hemming and hawing about being able to hunt it. (I'm sure he did.) It was all grown up with brush. The wildlife loved it. Your 40 might become a sanctuary. Others will chime in. I bet you could try a food plot. Good luck!

Thanks. That would be awesome. How do you cut timber wrong?

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: LanceH] #7755249 02/24/20 06:38 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Thanks,
Lance

Thanks. That would be awesome. How do you cut timber wrong?

By not following his advice exactly; who to use, when to cut, etc., etc. "The woods are full of them." grin Everybody has an angle over there...especially any "part-time preacher."

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: freerange] #7755335 02/24/20 07:37 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
leave each side edge of pipeline in natural grass, put in food plot down middle of pipeline. Before new spring growth try to get in the thick brush area and find primary trails and start opening up with a machete if that is only possibility. Somewhere within the thick brush you may find a small honeyhall for another bow stand or even rifle. Small brushy acres is Harrison county surrounded by pressured land can be very good. Just put up a corn feeder and you'll be covered up in hogs too

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: freerange] #7755619 02/25/20 12:59 AM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
We fill do a final fill on our feeders in December and then when they empty, they stay empty until September. Deer never have any issue "finding" them. That may have a lot to do with feeders are place in well scouted areas where there is a lot of deer activity to begin with. And I firmly believe the feeder not going year round is what has kept hogs off our property so far....

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: LanceH] #7755904 02/25/20 01:42 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K

Thanks,
Lance

Sounds like you may have unintentionally created some prime bedding area

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: kdkane1971] #7756226 02/25/20 07:26 PM
L
LanceH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted by kdkane1971

Thanks,
Lance

Sounds like you may have unintentionally created some prime bedding area

Thanks. I hope so.

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: freerange] #7759478 02/29/20 11:42 AM
N
no-guts-no-glory Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
"Feed corn year round???"

More food for wild hogs.

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: no-guts-no-glory] #7759702 02/29/20 06:41 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted by no-guts-no-glory

More food for wild hogs.

ever seen a feeder pen?

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: kyle1974] #7760824 03/02/20 01:10 PM
N
no-guts-no-glory Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted by kyle1974

More food for wild hogs.

ever seen a feeder pen?

Ever seen a wild hog inside of a feeder pen?

Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: no-guts-no-glory] #7761554 03/03/20 02:04 AM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K

More food for wild hogs.

ever seen a feeder pen?

not in any of mine.

Last edited by kyle1974; 03/03/20 02:05 AM.
Re: Feed corn year round??? [Re: no-guts-no-glory] #7761565 03/03/20 02:17 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

More food for wild hogs.

ever seen a feeder pen?

Not if you know how to build them correctly.

Last edited by krmitchell; 03/03/20 02:17 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide