Page 1 of 2 1 2
Most unusual stand site that usually paid off? #773697 06/25/09 04:33 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
All to often, hunters will seek out the most remote spots to put up a stand, thinking that the isolation is sure to make it more likely they'll see something. Still, I've seen spots where you wouldn't expect to see anything, pay off repeatedly.

An example of this would be a stand site on our lease that's actually the closest one to camp. In fact, someone at the camp could easily hear you if you yelled from it in that direction. It's also right next to a road that everyone uses to get to every other stand much deeper into the lease. Even though it's obvious that deer have been crossing the road near the stand for generations, most of the guys won't hunt it because of it's closeness to camp. Every once in a while, some guy will really get desperate and hunt it, and most of the time see deer.

I also remember a spot right behind an old man's house in Mississippi where I hunted as a kid, where we would always jump deer with the dogs. Sometimes it seemed as if the deer were almost on his back porch. He wasn't feeding them, that's for sure. But it seemed fairly obvious the deer had learned they could seek some safety by bedding near his house.

What's the most unusual spot you've seen, where it you could usually expect to see deer, when hunting them of course?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: Texas Dan] #773698 06/25/09 04:36 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
At a place I hunted in Lampassas I would set up behind a big propane tank with my bow during bow season and catch the deer going to the cattle feeding troughs in the evening! The feeding troughs were right behind the cabin we stayed in!

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: JCB] #773699 06/25/09 04:43 AM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
we've seen the biggest deer on our place right at the front gate. Thats the path down to the river for the west end of our lease, and the only area they have to jump our fence.

Second best is next to camp. They know we leave, then come out to play. One night we watched a mature 5.5 8pt run a doe in front of camp for 30 minutes. More interesting to watch than shoot, he could have cared less that we were there.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: Rowney] #773700 06/25/09 05:16 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
At my buddy's place in Bedias, we have several stands set up over woods lines that would appear to be perfect locations. Creeks back behind them, tons of cover, coastal fields. Have seen millions of does and hogs, not many bucks (there aren't many bucks in the area, period).

One night we didn't really care, so we climbed down early and walked over to a bunch of hay bails in the middle of a coastal field to have a beer. I'll be damned if the biggest buck we've ever seen out there didn't just walk right down the main road we had driven down and parked on, right past the truck and straight towards us.

Unfortunately, my buddy's gun wasn't sighted in and he missed from about 50 yards. 4 times. His brother killed it 1 week later. But we did set up a tripod right in the middle of that field that has produced pretty nicely since.

Last edited by cameron00; 06/25/09 05:18 AM.
Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: cameron00] #773701 06/25/09 05:32 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
At my parents house when they used to go on their annual trip to Yellowstone the week before Thanksgiving. Could have plenty of friends over and the key was to still be playing beer pong at daylight when the feeders went off. Could open the blinds on the patio door and just sit and wait for something to come out and a few does usually would. I had plenty of people there to help skin one. Those were the days, if I ever have a child, I would beat them senseless for pulling that kind of mess.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: cameron00] #773702 06/25/09 05:32 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Quote:

I'll be damned if the biggest buck we've ever seen out there didn't just walk right down the main road we had driven down and parked on, right past the truck and straight towards us. Unfortunately, my buddy's gun wasn't sighted in and he missed from about 50 yards. 4 times.

Don't you hate it when that happens.

I have my own "road story" to tell.

It was on Opening Day morning several years back when I was riding back to camp that I rounded a curve on my ATV in the same area I spoke of earlier. Just as I came around the curve, three deer bolted from the road in opposite directions. I slammed to a stop and jumped off because it already appeared that one of the deer (a young buck) was trying to cross back. I could see the tops of his young rack above the brush as he ran back and forth a time a time or two, trying to cross. Just a few seconds later, I happened to look down the road and there stood a nice little eight-point looking straight at me, frozen like a statue. It seemed as if he was lost as a goose to all the excitement. I threw up my .270 and dropped him with a single shot right in the chest.

Thinking back, I suspect that third deer was a hot doe, and the two bucks were just sex-crazy to get back with her.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: Texas Dan] #773703 06/25/09 05:37 AM
B
bradshaw02 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
We have a stand on our East Texas lease that is just off of the main road into our camp and the houses that are back by the camp. My dad shot at the biggest buck he has ever seen on his second hunt after we set the stand up. We see deer all of the time out of it. They are used to the noise and will just freeze if a vehicle passes. When the vehicle is gone they continue on.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: bradshaw02] #773704 06/25/09 07:43 AM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I had a blind that was less thn 50 yds.from camp because I was the last person to get on the lease and the best spots were gone . It was on a high point overlooking a creek bottom. Opening morning I was the first to get a deer (a nice 8 point).I got another 8 point the following weekend.It turned out to be the most productive spot on the place.If nature called you could walk back to the camper, do your business, and be back in less than 5 minutes.Since it was on a high point with a lot of cover there was no way the deer could see you leave or walk back. You could also get to spot late if you had to work and not spook anything.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: bradshaw02] #773705 06/25/09 08:12 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Quote:

We have a stand on our East Texas lease that is just off of the main road into our camp and the houses that are back by the camp. My dad shot at the biggest buck he has ever seen on his second hunt after we set the stand up. We see deer all of the time out of it. They are used to the noise and will just freeze if a vehicle passes. When the vehicle is gone they continue on.

We had one on my old lease in East Tx that was called "The Morning After Stand". It was a guest stand set up in a 2 acre foodplot about 1/2 mile from camp that was an 8x8 box stand with normal windows and a cot that had small windows looking out over the food plot about eye level if you were laying down in it. Suprisingly there were several nice bucks shot from it every year, but was the best hog stand in the entire club. I never used it as the title suggests, I had my climber for that and would hunt on my stand area about 1/4 mile from the lodge where I could look down a dried up slough bed that fed an oxbow lake that ran up behind the lodge. I would always see critteres funneling around that lake.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: rifleman] #773706 06/25/09 08:18 AM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Quote:

Quote:

We had one on my old lease in East Tx that was called "The Morning After Stand". It was a guest stand set up in a 2 acre foodplot about 1/2 mile from camp that was an 8x8 box stand with normal windows and a cot that had small windows looking out over the food plot about eye level if you were laying down in it. Suprisingly there were several nice bucks shot from it every year, but was the best hog stand in the entire club. I never used it as the title suggests, I had my climber for that and would hunt on my stand area about 1/4 mile from the lodge where I could look down a dried up slough bed that fed an oxbow lake that ran up behind the lodge. I would always see critteres funneling around that lake.

a bunch of druck hunters using the same cot?

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Most unusual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: Texas Dan] #773707 06/25/09 08:28 AM
W
WTF Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
I seen a deer running down our Math Hall in High school one morning. Someone left the door open closest to the woods. It sound crazy but its true...

Last edited by WTF; 06/25/09 08:30 AM.
Re: Most unusual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: WTF] #773708 06/25/09 08:35 AM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Quote:

I seen a deer running down our Math Hall in High school one morning. Someone left the door open closest to the woods. It sound crazy but its true...

did you get

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: DSST_Construction] #773709 06/25/09 08:36 AM
W
wgonfan Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I wouldn't say unusual, but unwanted. When I first got onto my current lease there wasn't much huntable spots available and very little time to get setup before season so I begrudgedly made a stand in a young pine plantation; the trees were bout 10' tall. I trimmed all limbs up to 5' tall in one row for about 100 yards & put a small (4x5) cramped ground blind at one end. this is all with in 75yds downwind of one camp and 100 in the other direction to another camp (we have two seperate camps for some reason). I hate hunting there, but have killed and seen more deer in that stand than any of my other 3.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: wgonfan] #773710 06/25/09 04:30 PM
B
Berretta man Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
On my little place by the lake the best stand is right behind my 2 barns. Maybe 250 yards away. See the most deer there and in 07 I shot a nice 8 out of it on opening weekend. My son shot a 10 point out of it on Thanksgiving weekend. Good stand.

Re: Most unusual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: Texas Dan] #773711 06/25/09 08:29 PM
T
twice70 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
My best stand is at the end of an old logging road about 300 yards from the camp. There may have been 2 times in the last 5 years that I have hunted that stand and not seen deer. Between myself and my son we have killed 8 deer out of this stand and you can smell the smoke from the campfire while you are hunting it.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: DSST_Construction] #773712 06/25/09 08:32 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

a bunch of druck hunters using the same cot?

I push it out of the way and use the chair. The cot is covered with plastic, so it's all good

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: rifleman] #773713 06/25/09 10:41 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
We have had two stands very close to camp. Both have produced nice bucks. Including the one I shot last year. The mount should be ready soon.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: Dry Fire] #773714 06/25/09 10:52 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I shot the deer in my signature in a stand that nobody ever hunts. No one really has a reason why but it is close to the ranch owners house. The stand is right on the edge overlooking a creek with the feeder on the other side. I shot it this past December and it hadn't been hunted for probably 2 seasons.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: Bucks and Ducks] #773715 06/25/09 11:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Given what has been shared here so far, I suspect many of us will be taking another look at areas closer to camp, a road, or some other spot we may overlooked, to throw up a stand.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: Texas Dan] #773716 06/25/09 11:45 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
always...on our lease, there is about 600 acres that is considered primitive area. There are always nice deer crossing the roads that loop through the area, but is so thick it makes it hard to bowhunt.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: rifleman] #773717 06/26/09 01:07 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
We have one right down the road from out camp. It's made from an old pickup bed trailer. You can almost see it from camp. We moved it there so my old dad could easily walk to it. Several deer were seen from of it last season and I shot my biggest buck ever in all my 25+ years of deer hunting out of it last year.

Re: Most usual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: bradshaw02] #773718 06/26/09 02:14 AM
E
ETXbuckman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Quote:

Got a set-up much the same as that one. I hunt about 200 yards from camp on the main road into our lease (literally everyone has to drive by my stand and feeder on the way in). There's a gas well on our place so a guy from the gas company drives everyday to check it, then heads out. I've watched him leave then had deer step out within 2 minutes. I've seen all kinds of good deer and have killed a few studs (See the "Post Your Trophies" post). Camphouse bruisers are the only way to go!

Last edited by ETXbuckman; 06/26/09 02:15 AM.
Re: Most unusual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: Texas Dan] #773719 06/26/09 04:25 AM
M
mbavo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
M
i was watching a hunting show on the outdoor channel one time with Larry Weishuen.he said he hunted a big south texas ranch for a few years.every year they would get game cam pics of a big massive 12 pt. ,but when the season opened they would never see him. just after the season ended he showed the picture of the buck to a ranch hand and asked if he had seen the buck. the ranch hand said yes i see him.larry asked where? the ranch hand told him to be at the barn the next morning. the next morning larry and the ranch hand went behind barn and fed the horses. then out from the brush comes the monster buck and feeds with the horses.larry asked the hand why he did not tell any of the paid hunters,he told him they probably would have gave you a big tip. the ranch hand told him," you dont understand larry,that buck is my compadre." he said every year he shows up when season starts and stays till it is over. pretty crazy.

Re: Most unusual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: mbavo] #773720 06/26/09 04:59 AM
S
southtexascracker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
We have about 150 acres behind our ranch house in an open grazing pasture. For the first 25 years of my life, we never had a stand back there, instead preferring to hunt the other 1800 or so acres in the main pasture. We put a stand back there around 10 years ago and have seen some hellacious bucks back there. Have yet to kill anything big, but seen some surprisingly nice ones. Fun thing about it is that they are completely different deer than we hunt on the other side, so each year, you never know.

Re: Most unusual stand site that usually paid off? [Re: southtexascracker] #773721 06/26/09 06:50 AM
R
Raider998 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
We had a lease in Eastland county for 17 years. About year 14 I sat on a dove stool in the middle of an open flat on top of a hill and shot the biggest deer we took off the lease. I spotted a huge rub on the flat opening morning and sat there that afternoon. It payed off. It was a 10 that scored 147

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide