Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,634
Posts9,739,366
Members87,098
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? #771737 06/23/09 11:40 PM
J
justinbranam Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
I noticed when cleaning my first hog, the hair is super thick and gets everywhere in the meat if youre not super careful. i was wondering if it would be possible to take a propane torch and burn the hair off where i plan on cutting through the skin. that way it would be easier to cut not having to go through the hair and there would be less chance of the hair getting into the meat since i wouldnt be cutting through any.

i was thinking it might not hurt to run the torch around the whole hog quickly to get any ticks or critters off it as i noticed a good number trying to jump from the hog to me while i was cleaning it. they just laughed at the OFF i put on a kept on trucking my way.

Check out my underwater photography: www.justinunderwater.com
Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: justinbranam] #771738 06/23/09 11:53 PM
A
anniebotx86 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Sounds like more work than needs to be done. The more hogs you clean the better and faster you will get. The little critters wont be so bad when winter comes along. Just wash the eat really good afterwards and try to get as much hair off as you can. Wont kill ya.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: justinbranam] #771739 06/23/09 11:54 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
No. Bad things begin happening to animals when they die, thats why we take them out of the heat and get them on ice as soon as possible. This will increase the chances of heat ruining meat.

If that was your first hog, things were messy, because it was your first hog. You can successfully skin a pig with very little hair touching meat when you're done.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: justinbranam] #771740 06/24/09 01:49 AM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
When I was young, we would have a "hog-scalding". We'd get a 55 gallon drum and heat the water to about 150º F - if the water is too hot, the hair will "set". Then we'd lower the hog in and then mix in a small shovel-ful of oak ashes...usually taken from the fire we had going. We'd stand there and shake the line the hog was hung to in order to move the hog around in the water to keep from cooking the skin. Every now and then we'd take the hog out and "air it out" while, at the same time, checking the hair. Usually one more dunking would do. We'd then scrape the hair and scurf (loose, thin layers of skin) off.

This is a very short version - and there's more to it...like not feeding the hog for 24 hours before scalding, but giving it as much cool water as it wants to drink. Also, not to stress it out killing it - just shoot it in the head quietly and so forth.

To singe the hair off would cook the outer skin a little and make a big mess, imho.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: Big Orn] #771741 06/24/09 07:56 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Don't cut the hide from the outside in, always from the inside out and you won't get much hair on the meat. I don't know if thats your problem but if it is it will help.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: justinbranam] #771742 06/24/09 09:10 PM
D
dnttang Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I am doing this for years

It sure make the meat smells better.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: don k] #771743 06/24/09 09:11 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Don,

what do you mean by inside out?

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: FoxTrot] #771744 06/25/09 03:38 AM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
From the belly of the pig towards the back.

On another note, I CANNOT BELIVE YA'LL SCALD THE PIG LIKE THAT. Unreal. How no one has become severly sick is beyond me. I can't believe the guts stay in. If its 60 + degrees outside, the pig goes on ice PRONTO.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: Big Orn] #771745 06/25/09 10:03 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Quote:

When I was young, we would have a "hog-scalding". We'd get a 55 gallon drum and heat the water to about 150º F - if the water is too hot, the hair will "set". Then we'd lower the hog in and then mix in a small shovel-ful of oak ashes...usually taken from the fire we had going. We'd stand there and shake the line the hog was hung to in order to move the hog around in the water to keep from cooking the skin. Every now and then we'd take the hog out and "air it out" while, at the same time, checking the hair. Usually one more dunking would do. We'd then scrape the hair and scurf (loose, thin layers of skin) off.

This is a very short version - and there's more to it...like not feeding the hog for 24 hours before scalding, but giving it as much cool water as it wants to drink. Also, not to stress it out killing it - just shoot it in the head quietly and so forth.

To singe the hair off would cook the outer skin a little and make a big mess, imho.

That's what I'm talkin' about. I have mentioned doing that and have received some of the stupidest looks humanly possible. Never have done it to a feral hog, but to plenty of big ol' farm raised ones.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: RobertY] #771746 06/25/09 10:12 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
You really are not heating up the inside of the pig. It only takes a little while to burn the hair. The guts inside are not affected in that amount of time. I think yall are just being way to cautious. Throw a steak on a hot fire for 1 minute, then make cut and stick a finger in the cut the meat will still be cold inside. Same principle.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: rifleman] #771747 06/25/09 10:14 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Quote:

Quote:

That's what I'm talkin' about. I have mentioned doing that and have received some of the stupidest looks humanly possible. Never have done it to a feral hog, but to plenty of big ol' farm raised ones.

That is how we did hogs growing up. We called it a boucherie, and first thing you did after it was dead was put it on a table and pour boiling water over it and scrapped the hair off. That is how you get your cracklin, from the skin.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: helomech] #771748 06/25/09 10:19 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
lol, don't think we called it that, but do remember grandpa calling it, "don't make any plans for saturday"

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: rifleman] #771749 06/29/09 10:30 PM
L
LuckyCatch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I've used a torch to burn hairs off. It don't hurt nothin'.

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. -Aldo Leopold
Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: Big Orn] #771750 07/10/09 11:54 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Grew up on the farm too, Orn? same way we did it and still do at the homeplace. When I was about 5 or 6 I can remember being the one pulling the trigger on the .22. Good memories and better meat than the store.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: GUTIT] #771751 07/11/09 04:13 AM
S
Scurvy Dog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I guess the answer is YES!

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: Scurvy Dog] #771752 07/21/09 06:19 AM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
People have been scalding hogs for hundreds of years and if you ask a TRULY good butcher/hog market they will tell you that the flavor is in the skin.

Scald it, gut it and in the cooler or smoker no problem.

I have seen people ruin a good hog (scalded or not) by cooking it at too low of a temp. you have to get the meat hot to the bone when cooking one whole.

Re: Can you torch the hair off a pig before quartering it? [Re: deewayne2003] #771753 07/30/09 09:10 PM
H
h_soape Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
many commmercial slaughter house scald the hog first, then tumble (knocks the hair off easier than scraping) then torch or scrape any remaining hair. If you have acces a propane torchit should take all of 3-5 minutes to completely torch off a larghe hog. The key is to have a fairly hot flame and keep it moving. Also a brsush to knock of the burnt hair would be useful. Your aren't trying to burn the skin off just the hair, and it will make almost no difference in the temperature of the skin much less internal temps.

GIG EM
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide