Re: Time to thin the herd again! [Re: mikei] #7696649 12/23/19 03:02 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by mikei
Originally Posted by der Teufel
My Brother-in-Law grew up virtually dirt-poor in rural Arkansas. He said raccoon wasn't exactly regular table fare, but they did eat it on occasion.
He said it's rather greasy, and many of the recipes I've seen suggest boiling the carcass first to remove a lot of the grease and fat before final preparation.

So, get out and take down a few and let us know what you think, eh?
We'll be anxiously awaiting your report. chef

I grew up virtually (actually!) dirt poor in the Piney Woods of east Texas, in and around Jefferson. I remember that Mother always cooked or rendered the coons outside over an open flame. I also remember the meat being greasy, but my mom and dad "returning grace" at every meal, even if the main course was coon. So I've been there and eaten that, and have no intention of trying it again! Having said that, if the SHTF and if we find ourselves living off the grid and chowing down on whatever we can scrounge up, you can betcha that I'll be serving up coon and hard tack if that's what it takes. I will cook it outside and downwind from where we're living! :-)

Season them with salt, white pepper, a bay leaf, garlic powder and a little cracked red pepper. Then wrap them in foil and slow cook them. It will come out just like barbacoa.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Time to thin the herd again! [Re: mikei] #7696758 12/23/19 05:17 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I had a local guy offer to cook a coon if I’d supply the coon. I supplied it and he cooked it with his Mama’d recipe and brought it over. It seems he cooked it like hook n line outlined. He had veggies in there also. It was pretty good, and didn’t seem greasy.

Anybody here eaten Armadillo?

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Time to thin the herd again! [Re: 603Country] #7696876 12/23/19 08:03 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by 603Country
I had a local guy offer to cook a coon if I’d supply the coon. I supplied it and he cooked it with his Mama’d recipe and brought it over. It seems he cooked it like hook n line outlined. He had veggies in there also. It was pretty good, and didn’t seem greasy.

Yep. Grandma called them 'Hoover hogs';. There was a saying with my dad's work crew. "Things are looking up around here. I just saw an armadillo cross the road and nobody was chasing it."

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Time to thin the herd again! [Re: hook_n_line] #7696894 12/23/19 08:29 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Originally Posted by 603Country

Yep. Grandma called them 'Hoover hogs';. There was a saying with my dad's work crew. "Things are looking up around here. I just saw an armadillo cross the road and nobody was chasing it."

I have. On a Boy Scout survival campout. Afterwards, we broke into the deer hunters' cabin. One box of raisins and a couple of cokes. bang We were a different troop.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Time to thin the herd again! [Re: oldrancher] #7705459 01/02/20 04:13 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by oldrancher
If coon hide prices went back to $20, most of our coon problems would go away. When I was growing up, we hunted them on foot, horseback and with dogs. Good times. It sure kept us out of a lot of trouble in town.

EXACTLY!!

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide