Veteran Tracker
S
Bow or crossbow
low fence or high fence
rifle or muzzle loader
feeder or no feeder

All questions posed to create division

hunting is hunting, archery season is not called "difficult season"

I have hunted and killed with a bow, don't like it much. I will hunt with a crossbow but will probably feel the same about that as well.

there are light years diffrences between muzzle loaders of yester year and the TC's of to day. Some say modern ML's are "cheeting" what the F**K ever.

Hunting is hunting and any ban on hunting equipment is a foot in the door to banning hunting all together.

Discussions between oursevles is good but, a united public stance is vital to our future as hunters.

I say bring on the crossbows!!!

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: SingleShot85] #766536 06/23/09 07:13 AM
D
DFWPI Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Quote:

Bow or crossbow
low fence or high fence
rifle or muzzle loader
feeder or no feeder

All questions posed to create division

hunting is hunting, archery season is not called "difficult season"

I have hunted and killed with a bow, don't like it much. I will hunt with a crossbow but will probably feel the same about that as well.

there are light years diffrences between muzzle loaders of yester year and the TC's of to day. Some say modern ML's are "cheeting" what the F**K ever.

Hunting is hunting and any ban on hunting equipment is a foot in the door to banning hunting all together.

Discussions between oursevles is good but, a united public stance is vital to our future as hunters.

I say bring on the crossbows!!!

Well put....

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Quailhunter] #766537 06/23/09 07:24 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Well since the cross bow predates the compound bow, I think it has a place in archery season more than the compound bow does.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: helomech] #766538 06/24/09 04:38 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Cross bow pre-dates fire arms too but that won't cut it during archery season.
The arguments are a waste as the time for debate is over. The decision has been made and no matter what side of the issue you were on now that the voting is over it is time to hunt. If it's legal it's your choice and I do respect that.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: passthru] #766539 06/24/09 05:18 AM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
"The decision has been made and no matter what side of the issue you were on now that the voting is over it is time to hunt. If it's legal it's your choice and I do respect that."

Amen!

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: passthru] #766540 06/26/09 06:31 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Quote:

The arguments are a waste as the time for debate is over. The decision has been made and no matter what side of the issue you were on now that the voting is over it is time to hunt.

Not true.

The Governor signed the law, but it's not been implemented yet. For those of you rushing off to purchase your Xbow's, you may be counting your chickens before they hatch. I would wait until we see how this law will be published & enforced by the TP&W. Here's a link to their website where you can leave your comments on this topic.

Regulations Required Or Made Necessary By Legislation

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #766541 06/27/09 04:08 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Like TPWD is gonna over-rule the Texas House of Representatives,Senate and Governor.LOL.That form is just a survey asking peoples comments after the fact.And probably a reminder you need an archery stamp to use a crossbow and they are still not allowed in Grayson county(who cares).Nuthin' left but the shouting..

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: swampthang] #766542 06/29/09 07:21 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Quote:

Like TPWD is gonna over-rule the Texas House of Representatives,Senate and Governor

The Texas House of Represenatives? Absolutely.

The Senate? Absolutely.

The Governor? Not hardly.

Check the Org Chart.
TPW Org Chart

And most of the TPW Commission members were appointed by Rick Perry.

Quote:

That form is just a survey asking peoples comments after the fact.

That makes alot of sense. LOL

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #766543 06/30/09 03:18 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

Quote:

Like TPWD is gonna over-rule the Texas House of Representatives,Senate and Governor

The Texas House of Represenatives? Absolutely.

The Senate? Absolutely.

The Governor? Not hardly.

Check the Org Chart.
TPW Org Chart

And most of the TPW Commission members were appointed by Rick Perry.

Quote:

That form is just a survey asking peoples comments after the fact.

That makes alot of sense. LOL

Wow,impressive.I guess you're not a real redneck afterall.I dont even know how to do that linky thing. The fact remains there's only two chances of TPWD not implementing this law...slim and none,and slim just left town. After i've seen the animosity and divisivness from so-called bowhunters over this issue,I'm ashamed to call myself a bowhunter,and I been doing it almost 25 years.They really can be a bunch of hateful,snob,holier-than-thou elitist.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Closed Traverse] #766544 06/30/09 06:30 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Quote:

pass thru is right about that, shooting a bow is much harder than a xbow, now what i want to know for all u "im not gonna take the easy road" people, why dont u use a traditional long bow instead of a compound..... to me it osunds like yall are taking the easy road....

I hunt with a recurve also but mostly for small game. You know, love struck rabbits in the spring, coons at the feeders and bow fishing. It takes a lot of practice and hand eye coordination to become good enough to shoot a deer with and I have never gotten that comfortable with it. The other thing is the only real difference is the let off. You can put sights and peeps on a trad bow although most don't and you can shoot a compound with out them. I have the most trouble getting drawn without being seen in most Texas applications due to lower stand heights and I'm not usually hunting a feeder. The fact that you have to have that much unseen movement it the harder part to me.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: passthru] #766545 06/30/09 04:22 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Quote:

I have the most trouble getting drawn without being seen in most Texas applications due to lower stand heights and I'm not usually hunting a feeder. The fact that you have to have that much unseen movement it the harder part to me.

I agree. It was for this reason that I've never hunted from a pop up blind. When you think about, the introduction of pop up blinds are kinda like allowing cross bows. I'm sure someone will jump on that, but here's why I say that.

Several years ago, when the pop ups first became popular, a guy on our lease bought one, and I started poking fun at him, and calling him a cheater. Here I was, showering in scent away, getting in full camo, including gloves & face mask, sitting in an uncomfortable hang on tree stand, and having to pick just the right moment to draw back without getting busted, and he was sitting in his little pop up wearing shorts, tank top, & flip flops, sitting in a comfortable camp chair, and not worrying about being seen.

I know it's not the same thing, but pop ups certainly make bow hunting alot easier in some situations.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #766546 06/30/09 05:34 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Quote:

Not true.

The Governor signed the law, but it's not been implemented yet. For those of you rushing off to purchase your Xbow's, you may be counting your chickens before they hatch. I would wait until we see how this law will be published & enforced by the TP&W. Here's a link to their website where you can leave your comments on this topic.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/feedback/public_comment/proposals/200907_crossbow_laser.phtml

Thanks for the link, long comment sent.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: bossbowman] #766547 07/01/09 04:36 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Could be some looking for public sentiment towards crossbows in relation to any changes that might be made with WMA rules for crossbow usage.

Or maybe just TPWD's way of saying "don't blame us" making it known it was forced on them.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Sniper John] #766548 07/01/09 06:47 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Quote:

Could be some looking for public sentiment towards crossbows in relation to any changes that might be made with WMA rules for crossbow usage.

Or maybe just TPWD's way of saying "don't blame us" making it known it was forced on them.

At any rate, I would expect TPW to have more influence on hunting regulations than our State Represenatives.

Hopefully our Governor sees it this way as well.

I'm really on the fence with allowing Xbow's, but I can't help but wonder if TPW would have made some of the other changes they made earlier in the year if it was known that Xbow's would be allowed for everyone during archery season. For example, in some counties they increased the number of doe days from 4 to 30 back in March, and announced the introduction of a muzzleloader season. To me, it seems a little excessive to make these changes while also allowing Xbow's during archery season.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #766549 07/01/09 07:47 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I would think they knew it or knew of the possibility. Rep Homer originally had this Bill reading to allow only those 65 and older to use Crossbows. Who in TPWD I do not know, but it was not until meeting with TPWD that he changed it to all age per TPWD's recommendation. As for the limits. A non factor IMHO. Adding a Crossbow as another means of take does not add extra deer tags to the license.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Sniper John] #766550 07/02/09 02:12 AM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
I dont believe for 1 minute that any more deer will die than usual during archery season and like sniper john says it doesnt add any more tags to the license. My hope is it might add a few young hunters to the fold including my son who never has liked bow hunting with me but says he might if he can get a crossbow and my daughter is interested too wich makes me happier than heck!

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: hun73r] #766551 07/02/09 06:24 AM
C
Cooner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Quote:

I also think that it is possible that a few more people will get involved in the sport that may not have otherwise. This is always good as we need more hunters to keep the sport alive and fund the necessary agencies.

But how many is too many, do we expect to allow the hunting population to grow exponentially with the human population, that won't work, with a growing hunting population and shrinking huntable ground due to increasing sprawl, is it any wonder that it is turning in to a money sport.

The main reason I like to bowhunt is that it weeds out alot of lazy ****** and allows me to hit the woods with a minimal amount of hunting pressure for a short time before the rest of the "hunters" start there season. Those days are over and you got one thing right, this is all in order to sell more archery stamps and increase revenue for the "necessary agencies".

This makes me sick to my stomach. If you are able to draw a bow, you should have to use one to hunt in October.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Cooner] #766552 07/02/09 06:28 AM
C
Cooner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I have a hard time controlling myslef on this topic but I will try. If people think that more animals won't be wounded they are either naive or blind. The truth is that this year many hunters will take to the woods for the first time with equipment that requires pinpoint accuracy to be lethal, they will test the boundaries of this new equipment and will wound more animals. They may get better next year, but this year will see an increased number of animals wounded.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Cooner] #766553 07/02/09 02:39 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Cooner any time you have a increase in hunters there will be a increase in wounded animals. I dont use a crossbow and prefer my compound and as stated above many times it takes more skill to harvest game with a bow than a crossbow so your argument has no base, and your thinking about not recruiting new hunters will ruin our sport faster than any peta group ever will. New hunters in the sport is the only thing that matters, ask any dad or grandfather trying to pass on the knowledge to the next generation. The only thing that disgusts me is bowhunters not willing to share a season with others that want to hunt and there predjudice against a weapon that has no great advantage over the other. If you cant draw on a deer with a bow then you need to practice more or something because i have used a bow for 20 years and never had a problem drawing on a deer and knowing when to draw and when not to.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Hoytman] #766554 07/02/09 05:35 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
As I stated, I'm still on the fence with crossbows. To a degree, I agree with both Cooner & Hoytman. I just feel that introducing crossbows while also allowing an increased number of doe days, and adding a muzzleloader season is a little excessive. Your right about not increasing the number of tags, but there's no doubt that the number of does killed this year will be a huge increase over the past years. I know there's some that will say that's a good thing, but I think it all depends on the area of the state that were talking about. I hunt in East Texas, and I do believe we need to increase our doe harvest slightly, but I feel this will be an extreme increase because of all the changes I mentioned. Hopefully I'm wrong. Time will tell. I would like to see TPW add some restrictions to the crossbows. What about those hunters who hunt public land? Will they now have to wear hunter orange because of the increased number of hunters in the woods with crossbows? Who knows? But these are the things the state will need to consider before just saying that Xbows will be open to everyone and everywhere during archery season.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #766555 07/02/09 08:11 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
REDNECK-HUNTER how many doe days are they gonna have this year in hopkins county? I know we have 4 during thanksgiving.

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: Cooner] #766556 07/03/09 02:23 AM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Quote:

Quote:

I also think that it is possible that a few more people will get involved in the sport that may not have otherwise. This is always good as we need more hunters to keep the sport alive and fund the necessary agencies.

But how many is too many, do we expect to allow the hunting population to grow exponentially with the human population, that won't work, with a growing hunting population and shrinking huntable ground due to increasing sprawl, is it any wonder that it is turning in to a money sport.

The main reason I like to bowhunt is that it weeds out alot of lazy ****** and allows me to hit the woods with a minimal amount of hunting pressure for a short time before the rest of the "hunters" start there season. Those days are over and you got one thing right, this is all in order to sell more archery stamps and increase revenue for the "necessary agencies".

This makes me sick to my stomach. If you are able to draw a bow, you should have to use one to hunt in October.

I never heard so much whinning in my life

awwww poor little Cooner is gonn'a get sand kicked in his vagina by all the "new hunters" during archery seanon. WTF

You want you own seanon, I'll call up O'l Rick and see if I can make it happen Pardon the rest of the world for encroaching on YOUR right to hunt.

The percentage of deer wounded will be minimal if it's as easy as you say it is, so that excuse is out. In fact I bet the number of wounded deer by first time crossbow users will equal the number of wounded deer caused buy first time bow hunter.

Good job buddy, way to support OUR, notice I left out the Y, rights to hunt.

kt

Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: SingleShot85] #766557 07/03/09 02:31 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

awwww poor little Cooner is gonn'a get sand kicked in his vagina by all the "new hunters" during archery seanon. WTF

You want you own seanon, I'll call up O'l Rick and see if I can make it happen Pardon the rest of the world for encroaching on YOUR right to hunt.

The percentage of deer wounded will be minimal if it's as easy as you say it is, so that excuse is out. In fact I bet the number of wounded deer by first time crossbow users will equal the number of wounded deer caused buy first time bow hunter.

kt

For once we agree

Hunting is hunting... your either in the woods or at the house/on the pavement..

A campfire is a campfire don't take people rights away to enjoy it!!!!!!!!!

Thought we where all on this site b/c we loved to hunt...if its legal its legal

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: SingleShot85] #766558 07/03/09 03:09 AM
S
scooter79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

kt

that is the funniest thing I've ever seen on here...LOL I bet cooner is the first one in the stand on opening morning of rifle season too. All those dirty bastards around him shooting all his deer . Seems to me that anyone against the growth of Hunting is against what alot of us on here are for. Cooner...you mad that we introduce our children to the sport...takes away from your land and animal populations...right?

Last edited by scooter79; 07/03/09 07:30 PM.
Re: Bow vs. Crossbow [Re: scooter79] #766559 07/03/09 03:43 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I don't see xbows getting used on any of the places we hunt. On one place folks only have the first 2 weekends of archery season to hunt, then the property is off-limits until rifle season.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide