Print Thread
Hunting the morning after a full moon #7631848 10/14/19 01:37 AM
P
polishpreacher Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
So....do you guys change anything when yall hunt after a full moon? Such as arrive later or simply avoid the morning hunt on those days? I'm thinking of going in the morning and dont know what to expect for the hunt

Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7631909 10/14/19 02:47 AM
D
DOD Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I find the morning at first light and mid day are better than the eve on full moon days +/- full moon.

Founding Member of the 7MM STW Club
Member Cull Hunting Association
Best times that I have had has been fishing/hunting with my wife and daughter
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7631927 10/14/19 03:22 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
When it comes to lunar cycles impacting fish and wild animals, the general belief is that it causes them to feed during the two-hour period when the moon is directly overhead and then about 12-1/2 hours later when it's directly underfoot or on the opposite side of the globe. A full moon is always directly overhead around midnight, meaning that it will be directly underfoot around noon on the following day.

I've found the US Naval Observatory website to be a great resource for identifying both lunar and solar data for any given day at any given point on the globe. I would suggest bookmarking it so you'll be able to determine sunrise and sunset times, along with the lunar cycle whenever and wherever you might need it.

Complete Sun and Moon Data for One Day

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/14/19 03:27 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7631933 10/14/19 03:39 AM
D
DeCurry Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Deer are usually roaming about and feeding during a full moon, in my experience I don't often see them at feeders the next morning. If the wind is cooperating, I instead prefer to hunt trails the next morning in the hope of catching them heading to their bedding area after being out all night. I usually make it a point to be in the stand at mid-day until evening as well since they're usually up and around during the day after the full moon.

Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7631968 10/14/19 10:24 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have snuck into my treestand the last 2 mornings about 6 am. I have been covered up in deer until about 8:30 both mornings. A feeder has more determination on their movement than the moon.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7631972 10/14/19 10:28 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
With the acorn drop that I'm about to get, trying to figure this it out is gonna be tough.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7633053 10/15/19 01:59 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Moon was still pretty high in the sky this morning at around 8 a.m. so it's going down late.
Hunt early morning first light to catch them headed for their bedding area.
I would hunt late afternoon and the evening for sure.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: Jimbo] #7634755 10/17/19 02:07 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I don't have a real strong opinion on hunting and moon phases. Personally I hunt every chance I get regardless and I hunt daylight to dark unless somebody kills a deer or I gotta go do some PR at camp. I will say for what its worth that 3 of our lease members this past weekend with a full moon killed 3 Trophies at feeders the first hour of lite. All mature and scored 165, 142 and 137. Big place low fence and bow kills. By far our leases best October and all in 24 hours.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7634757 10/17/19 02:08 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I have snuck into my treestand the last 2 mornings about 6 am. I have been covered up in deer until about 8:30 both mornings. A feeder has more determination on their movement than the moon.

I just read Dans and pretty much agree.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7635883 10/18/19 01:48 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Pretty much agree with Dan on this as well, thought they will generally be mving within a 2 hour window of that in my experience either side of that time. Also if deer are used to feeder times and eating by them they will generally be there. Hunted a lot where feeders were illegal and hae killed some of my better bucks between 10 and 2 during the full moon and new moon phases.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7635902 10/18/19 02:06 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I have never bought into the 'moon phase' theories, never will. 52 years of hunting whitetails has taught me that deer will eat when they are hungry (regardless the moon phase) they will 'move' when it is safe to do so or some other influence is present (hunting pressure, Does in estrus, etc).

BUT....if hunting the moon phases gives you more confidence (unwarranted as it may be) go ahead, it can't hurt.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: flintknapper] #7636079 10/18/19 05:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by flintknapper
I have never bought into the 'moon phase' theories, never will. 52 years of hunting whitetails has taught me that deer will eat when they are hungry (regardless the moon phase) they will 'move' when it is safe to do so or some other influence is present (hunting pressure, Does in estrus, etc).

BUT....if hunting the moon phases gives you more confidence (unwarranted as it may be) go ahead, it can't hurt.

I use the lunar cycle more as icing on the cake to pick the times that I definitely don't want to miss being in the woods. For example, if the weather and moon are both set to be favorable on a particular morning or evening (when deer prefer to move anyway), that's when you'll find me in a ladder stand or ground blind.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: Texas Dan] #7636185 10/18/19 08:17 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
When it comes to lunar cycles impacting fish and wild animals, the general belief is that it causes them to feed during the two-hour period when the moon is directly overhead and then about 12-1/2 hours later when it's directly underfoot or on the opposite side of the globe. A full moon is always directly overhead around midnight, meaning that it will be directly underfoot around noon on the following day.

I've found the US Naval Observatory website to be a great resource for identifying both lunar and solar data for any given day at any given point on the globe. I would suggest bookmarking it so you'll be able to determine sunrise and sunset times, along with the lunar cycle whenever and wherever you might need it.

Complete Sun and Moon Data for One Day

Sounds like around 0030 would be ideal (with a great scope).

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7637106 10/20/19 02:16 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Hunting for as long as I have been, I have to say I believe in the effect the moon phases has on deer movement.
Having seen deer out and actively up and feeding at 2 p.m. during 110* weather in mid August has more to do with a moon phase than just them being hungry at that time of day.
I'm also of the school of thought that you hunt when you can get out into the woods, and noon time is for eating lunch and taking a break, but I am a believer that you put the odds in your favor by paying attention to moon phases.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: flintknapper] #7637117 10/20/19 02:39 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by flintknapper

I agree, especially during the rut. I hunt most all day anyway, no matter what the moon is doing.

Re: Hunting the morning after a full moon [Re: polishpreacher] #7640497 10/24/19 02:26 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
There’s a pretty good iPhone app for this. Just sayin peep

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide