Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7521561 05/28/19 03:28 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Ok I get it. Not much love for Ridgid. Ok I will elaborate a bit. A few decades back I worked as a professional residential electrician. It is pretty much a fact that electricians use Milwaukee and Klein tools. I had three big red tools that I used regularly, recip saw, and big and little drills. We did not have battery powered tools in 1975, so these were big powerful line powered tools. I still have those tools and they still work very hard. Fast forward to the early eighties and I am working tower sites. I supplied all my guys with red battery powered drills to be used mostly as screw guns. They came in a great steel box with a slot for an extra battery. We found out quickly why it was there. So we added spares to their tool boxes. It got to be a problem. Milwaukee wouldn’t warranty a six month old dead battery.

I kept on buying red battery powered tools for decades until Ridgid rolled out the lifetime warranty. I tried a new drill with two batteries. I registered the warranty. When one of the batteries failed to charge I called the store and he said bring in both batteries and the charger. Charger checked good. The bad battery was replaced the other was testing good but replaced because it was dated same as the bad one. The whole process took about five minutes.

That was pretty painless. So I switched.

So, during construction I use Big Red and love it. Just gotta be careful cause that big drill wants to kill you.

After the rough in, I switch to Ridgid. Because of the battery warranty.

There is no other reason. Both very good tools.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7521589 05/28/19 04:07 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I'm with you Cast ... I use for various projects around the house, ranch, deer lease, etc. Not in everyday heavy duty construction work. I had been thru several cheaper battery powered drills and a couple of higher end ones, and typically the failure point was the batteries. And I could buy a new cheaper unit for what a replacement battery was going to cost. When I found the Rigid life time warranty on their batteries, I bought a kit that came with a drill, driver, 2 batteries, charger and a bag. I have worked the snot out of all of those for about 7 years and only had 1 battery fail, actually the charge cycle just got to a point where it would put in a few screws before needing another charge. I took it into Home Depot, they handed me a new battery and I walked out the door. It was that simple. I was in need of a battery powered sawzall, found another kit that had similar as the first one (drill, driver, 2 batteries, charger, bag and sawzall) so I could leave one in my truck and one for around the house. I have been very impress with all of these for general usage.

Key point is to make sure you complete all the registration paperwork in the time frame given!!!

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Cast] #7521662 05/28/19 05:56 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by Cast
Ridgid, as good as Milwaukee with lifetime guarantee including the battery.

yeah but their calendars have gone to chit last couple of years

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7521666 05/28/19 06:01 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We all miss the Snap On calendar.

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7521688 05/28/19 06:31 PM
G
gtrich94 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
I needed a cheap battery powered drill for the lease, so I bought one of the Ryobi One+ guys. Then I needed pole saw and since I had the batteries already for the drill, I picked up the Ryobi pole saw. A little later, I needed a cheap chainsaw that could handle things just a bit larger than the pole saw. Since I already had the Ryobi pole saw, drill and several batteries, I bought the Ryobi chain saw. Needed a couple of lanterns and lookie there, Ryobi sells LED lanterns that use the batteries I already have. Then I needed a new portable air pump to fill the bicycle/car tires and basketballs, guess what I bought. I now have a crap load of the Ryobi One+ stuff and for the 10 times a year one item or another gets used, it works great for me. If I was using it professionally, day in day out, I'd probably go with something else. However, for an occasional use tool at the house, the Ryobi stuff works for me.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: gtrich94] #7521707 05/28/19 07:01 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by gtrich94
I needed a cheap battery powered drill for the lease, so I bought one of the Ryobi One+ guys. Then I needed pole saw and since I had the batteries already for the drill, I picked up the Ryobi pole saw. A little later, I needed a cheap chainsaw that could handle things just a bit larger than the pole saw. Since I already had the Ryobi pole saw, drill and several batteries, I bought the Ryobi chain saw. Needed a couple of lanterns and lookie there, Ryobi sells LED lanterns that use the batteries I already have. Then I needed a new portable air pump to fill the bicycle/car tires and basketballs, guess what I bought. I now have a crap load of the Ryobi One+ stuff and for the 10 times a year one item or another gets used, it works great for me. If I was using it professionally, day in day out, I'd probably go with something else. However, for an occasional use tool at the house, the Ryobi stuff works for me.

This exactly. Note: the 40V string trimmer rocks.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7521733 05/28/19 07:43 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Ryobi 40volt stuff is good to go

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7521809 05/28/19 09:54 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Ryobi 40volt stuff is good to go

I'll second that. For lawn work tools.

But on drills, impact drivers and cordless saws I'm Dewalt all the way.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7521840 05/28/19 10:33 PM
S
sweetwood Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I picked up a brushless Ridgid combo a few months back. Standard drill, impact drill. Came with 2 1.5 amp hour batteries and they had a special where you got two 4.0 amp hour batteries for free. $159 and done.

Lifetime service agreement on everything excect the extra batteries. I've yet to find a better deal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...atteries-Charger-and-Bag-R9603/301853891

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-4-0Ah-Battery-Pack-2-Pack-AC840087P/205999648

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7521863 05/28/19 11:16 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Gangly
Originally Posted by Cast
Ridgid, as good as Milwaukee with lifetime guarantee including the battery.

I don't mean to offend, but that is not the case in my experience.

I'll preface my comment below by saying upfront that I can be a tool elitist when it comes to the tools I will use on a day in and day out basis. I want them to work right, every time, and I have little patience when they don't.

Lifetime guarantees on budget tools don't mean crap to me. If I have to stop what I'm doing and drive 30 min to a store to exchange batteries or units, then 30 minutes back, that's lost time, and in some cases money. If I have to do that 2-3 times a year, then I've lost more than what I would have initially invested in the higher quality tool. Stoping what Im doing, hopping in the truck and getting a free replacement on a broken tool is more of a pain in the [censored] then spending the extra money and getting one that wont break.

That being said, a tool for once every 2-3 month use around the house, or a kitchen drawer tool that the wife will use on rare occasion, is different than a hard use tool in a shop or garage. There is no reason to purchase higher grade tools when the most you'll be doing is hanging a picture frame, fixing a table leg, etc. If it's a basic drill that will be used 2-3 times a year, then Im not sure why we are even having this discussion, buy the cheapest setup that fits your needs (Ryobi) and never worry .

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
The $20 one at Harbor Freight.

And then get 50 to 100 miles from a Harbor Freight, and they break down.

Fail.

Again, look at the HF. They all eventually fail, I have Milwaukee and Makita that I used for power sanding on the ;lathe, the dust kills them in 2 or 3 years.

Originally Posted by Homer Jay
Well, I'm in the market for a new cordless drill. My last one (Black and Decker) lasted 13 years. I don't need it for work, just projects around the house. I'd like to hear your opinions on these:

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7521867 05/28/19 11:27 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Porter cable

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: BradyBuck] #7522520 05/29/19 08:57 PM
S
sweetwood Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Porter cable

Your experience may be different than mine but I tried one of those Porter Cable combo sets. It literally felt like it was made by Fisher-Price.
I still have some of their old nail guns that are great but the new stuff was clunky unrefined junk.

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: sweetwood] #7522540 05/29/19 09:40 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by sweetwood
Porter cable

Your experience may be different than mine but I tried one of those Porter Cable combo sets. It literally felt like it was made by Fisher-Price.
I still have some of their old nail guns that are great but the new stuff was clunky unrefined junk.

I don't have much Porter cable stuff but I do have impact drivers that are going strong after a couple years.

I used a Porter cable cordless drill when I was installing granite 10+ years ago. Used it hard every day. Never missed a beat.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 05/29/19 09:42 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: BradyBuck] #7522618 05/29/19 11:12 PM
T
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Originally Posted by sweetwood
Porter cable

I don't have much Porter cable stuff but I do have impact drivers that are going strong after a couple years.

I used a Porter cable cordless drill when I was installing granite 10+ years ago. Used it hard every day. Never missed a beat.

Porter Cable high end stuff is better than you guys think....

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7522660 05/30/19 12:04 AM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Guys were here working on my garage (steel bldg) and noticed they were running Rigid drivers. I remembered they were running Dewalt 20v when they built my shop so I asked what changed. Said they tried a Rigid and found that they didn't have to swap batteries as much, they ran smoother and you couldn't beat the lifetime warranty. These guys swear by Rigid now and was showing me his driver that he sent off for gear work after 2 years of daily use. If it's good enough for them making a living driving thousands of screws it's dang sure good enough for me. I thought it was odd none of them including the gutter guys used Milwaukee.

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7522721 05/30/19 01:04 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
[Linked Image]

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7522751 05/30/19 01:49 AM
H
huntingag01 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
[Linked Image]

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: huntingag01] #7522804 05/30/19 03:36 AM
T
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Originally Posted by huntingag01
[Linked Image]

If that’s true.... Snap on makes some of the Ryobi stuff or vise versa... I’ve seen some of the RIMO stuff 40volt and it’s the exact same as the Ryobi 40 volt

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7522807 05/30/19 03:38 AM
T
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I’ll also add that the older 2005-ish Snap-on stuff was made by porter cable... there’s no way Mac tools is going to be making stuff for Snap-On

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7522809 05/30/19 03:39 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Interesting chart....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7523010 05/30/19 03:07 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I'm pretty happy with the Ryobi 18-volt tools I have. I've added new batteries from time-to-time, but the orginal drill that I bought 15 or so years ago is still going strong. Ryobi may not be as light or long-term durable as a DeWalt, but for occasional, sometimes heavy use, I've had good luck with Ryobi.

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7523037 05/30/19 03:35 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Is this the FordChevyDodge debate for battery powered tools? It will never end.

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7523060 05/30/19 04:04 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I have the 18v Rigid drill and impact driver. The battery life and power of the impact is unreal

Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7523078 05/30/19 04:43 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Porter cable makes good battery drills and battery impact

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Cordless Drill Platforms [Re: Homer Jay] #7523095 05/30/19 05:21 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I have/had some Ryobi stuff, not power tools but a blower and spotlight. Equipment seems to work well but I've had headaches with the chargers/charging systems. Don't know if it's battery related or charger related, but it seems to be a common problem with Ryobi after doing some research. It's the same battery platform as their power tools.

Used to have some Ridgid power tools, actually still have them and they're not being used. Their lifetime battery warranty is for real, but the batteries don't seem to last at all. I got tired of the hassle of having to exchange them once or twice per year. And the process to use the warranty is miserable. I'm done with it.

I'm now back to Dewalt. Drill, impact, skill saw, and blower. All use the same platform. Chargers always work, Tools are solid and strong, and also light weight compared to others. Probably on year 2 or 3 now with the original batteries. No life time warranty so I'll have to buy new batteries when the time comes, but I'd rather buy every 3 or 4 years then do free swaps 6-8 times in that time period.

Last edited by Gumbeaux; 05/30/19 05:27 PM.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide