Forums46
Topics538,182
Posts9,733,926
Members87,071
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: J.G.] #7498002 04/27/19 03:47 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
That post proves my point about the shooter vs. hunter mentality. If you really think the majority of gun/ammo sales are by competition shooters instead of hunters, I don’t know what to tell you except that you are badly mistaken. No, you are. Wrong, as usual. This is simple elementary school math. All those hunters you mentioned do not buy much ammo, do not buy many bullets even if they are a hand loader, and probably never will shoot out a barrel. I know some shooters that go through a barrel a every four months. They also hunt, and they kill what they want.

There are over 1,500,000 hunting licenses sold in Texas every year. Which is why the big gun sales season for all the retail outlets is in the late summer/early fall just prior to the hunting seasons. There are a helluva lot more people that hunt than shoot competitions or just for recreation alone. In other words, a helluva lot more people like me than like you. And people like you don't shoot them very much. Plenty of stories of the same ammo box of 20 that has been owned for years. Zero checked, at 100, carried hunting, one deer is shot, repeat next year. You said it yourself, previously.

I don't like bs going unchecked either, and you're so full of it, it spews out. Carry on, I know you will.

Ban camp champion troll.

How about another legal lesson on the portability of the Castle Doctrine? As always, you were so sure and condescending about that one too. And 100% wrong. Or about how 30+ year old cartridges suck (even though on another thread your personal favorite of 7mm-08 is even older than that?). Or how everything needs to be shot in the brainstem?

Knowing a lot about a few things does not translate into knowing everything about everything. Your problem is you simply don’t know what you don’t know. You prove that daily. BS spouted confidently and condescendingly is still BS.

Edit: see the figures presented below showing that hunters drive the spending drain more than all others combined.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 04/27/19 04:38 AM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498003 04/27/19 03:48 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
popcorn

[Linked Image]
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498004 04/27/19 03:48 AM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

So, all-in-all, I would bet that competition shooters actually do buy more guns and gear than hunters.

You underestimate the power of the masses. No sales job for you!

And you are under the false impression that more users = more use.

I realize that this is anecdotal, but here goes...

I only shoot a few competitions a year, none of them long range rifle, btw, but I shoot well over 5,000 rounds of ammunition every year. About half of that is .22LR, but that still means I shoot over 2,500 rounds of centerfire ammo each year in comp and practice for those comps.
I also buy at least one-two new guns each year and at least one barrel each year for one of my existing guns. I sell at least one gun each year and mostly to other comp shooters.
The guns that I hunt with are the same ones I hunted with 5 years ago. My hunting gun turn over is maybe one every 7 years. I do shoot a lot of ammo in whichever gun I decide to hunt with, but that is because I like to shoot and I want to make sure I can make any shot that is presented to me.
Most comp shooters I know are similar to me.

So, my question is, how many "average" hunters does it take to equal my totals?

Open your eyes and look at the commercial market and advertising - it’s 98% aimed at the hunting community. There’s a reason for that. It’s because hunters drive the market. Most people don’t have a clue about competition shooting and never will.

That’s like saying a dozen high end steakhouses in D/FW generate more income than the thousands of McDonald’s, Taco Bells, and other fast food restaurants in D/FW, all of which trade on the NYSE. It’s ludicrous.

Geez.

Your analogy about the restaurants is 100% false. I worked in a gun store for 3 years in college. I sold more AR15s than just about any rifle COMBINED. And most were sold to people who were buying it for home defense or recreational shooting. Shooters buy WAY more ammo and guns than hunters do.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498006 04/27/19 03:51 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Now we’ve gone from competition shooters to AR recreational shooters.

Always moving targets in here.....

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498008 04/27/19 03:51 AM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
NP you need to do a little research on how many AR15 style rifles have been bought in the past decade. And I would venture to guess very few are used strictly for hunting.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498009 04/27/19 03:52 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend

Probably 50% of competition shooters shoot AR15s

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498010 04/27/19 03:52 AM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

What does that have anything to do with the fact that shooters buy way more guns and ammo than hunters?

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Ryan F.] #7498013 04/27/19 03:56 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Ryan F.

What does that have anything to do with the fact that shooters buy way more guns and ammo than hunters?

If you read the discussion, the point being discussed was that competition shooters buy more than hunters. Then, it changed.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498014 04/27/19 03:57 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

If you read the discussion, the point being discussed was that competition shooters buy more than hunters. Then, it changed.

Can you elaborate on your experience with competition shooters?

[Linked Image]
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Bee'z] #7498015 04/27/19 04:03 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by 2Beez

Can you elaborate on your experience with competition shooters?

Which has nothing to do with anything since I am not claiming any expertise on competition shooting. The topic is what drives gun sales.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498016 04/27/19 04:06 AM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

I haven’t been around that many competition guys but everyone I have ever met was what I would call a “recreational” shooter. Which is why I said it in the first place. My point was that hunters don’t buy near the amount of guns and ammo than guys who just like to shoot. You seem to be dodging the point by nitpicking on the word recreational instead of competition

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Ryan F.] #7498019 04/27/19 04:11 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I haven’t been around that many competition guys but everyone I have ever met was what I would call a “recreational” shooter. Which is why I said it in the first place. My point was that hunters don’t buy near the amount of guns and ammo than guys who just like to shoot. You seem to be dodging the point by nitpicking on the word recreational instead of competition

I’m not dodging anything. The discussion was competition shooting vs. hunting. Not recreational.

If you want to change the discussion to recreational and include black rifle sales, I wouldn’t be nearly as confident about the disparity of the sales figures. There’s a heckuva lot of black rifle sales.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498020 04/27/19 04:12 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Ok, just some quick numbers here.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com...ns-spend-169-billion-on-target-shooting/

According to this article, target shooters (which I assume includes competition shooters) spend about $16.9 Billion annually (2018 numbers)

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/n...ns-participated-hunting-fishing-wildlife

According to this article, total expenditures by hunters in 2016 was $25.6 Billion. However this number includes things like clothing and licenses, so a direct comparison is not possible.

Interestingly, the first article states that the number of people who participate in "target shooting" in 2018 is 13.5 million and increasing. The number of hunters in 2016 was 11.5 million and declining. I am sure that a lot of those people are the same in both totals for now.

So, what? Well it seems that hunters do spend more money, but I would still be willing to bet that less than half of that $25.6 Billion was on firearms, ammo or components. On the other hand, I would bet that a majority of that $16.9 Billion was on those things.

So maybe a better argument would be that target shooters, including competition shooters, spend more on firearms, firearm accessories, ammo, and components than hunters do.

As for the comment about marketing, almost all of the ads that I get in the mail or email are targeting the shooting crowd. Nothing specific toward any group more than the other. For those gun companies that mainly make hunting guns, then yes, I would expect that most of their marketing is geared toward hunters. Hornady, Sierra, Federal, Hodgdon, Alliant, VV, and others... not so much.

#FighttheNoise
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498021 04/27/19 04:17 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
OK so now you’ve expanded it to recreational shooters too. Even at that, it appears that hunters still drive the spending train.

Thanks for doing the research and presenting it.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498022 04/27/19 04:19 AM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
OK so now you’ve expanded it to recreational shooters too. Even at that, it appears that hunters still drive the spending train.

Thought the argument was about disparity in gun sales? Those numbers aren’t based solely on gun sales.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498023 04/27/19 04:21 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

Which has nothing to do with anything since I am not claiming any expertise on competition shooting. The topic is what drives gun sales.

I concur, but that does not mean you will not take shots at those who can and are more than willing to as the record shows.

[Linked Image]
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498026 04/27/19 04:24 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

My pleasure.

One of the things that these numbers do help in showing is that those firearms and cartridges that can "bridge the gap" between recreational, competition, and hunting are going to have a lot longer longevity than those that can't.

Which is why the 30-06, .308, .223, .300 Win Mag, and 6.5CM will be still be popular while the 7mm Rem Mag, .270 WSM, .300 BO, and others will be less available as time goes on.
(Sorry to get back to the original topic. aim )

#FighttheNoise
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Ryan F.] #7498027 04/27/19 04:27 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Thought the argument was about disparity in gun sales? Those numbers aren’t based solely on gun sales.

First, the argument was expanded by you (from competition vs. hunting to recreational vs. hunting). And the original discussion included accessories. So you have been off base from the get-go.
I said that if expanded to recreational I wouldn’t be as confident in there being such a disparity.

Now, the figures are presented showing hunters clearly spend way more than other groups. Some assumptions are made re:guns that are just that - assumptions.

What we do know is hunters spend approaching twice as much on their pursuits than all recreational shooters combined on their pursuits.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Bee'z] #7498028 04/27/19 04:31 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I concur, but that does not mean you will not take shots at those who can and are more than willing to as the record shows.

I see you’re playing umpire again.

My response:

One man’s presenting facts to set the record straight is another man’s “taking shots”. All depends on whose ox is being gored I reckon.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498031 04/27/19 04:37 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

I see you’re playing umpire again.

My response:

One man’s presenting facts to set the record straight is another man’s “taking shots”. All depends on whose ox is being gored.

No, It is just the simple fact that you want to tell others what they should and should not do. You love bringing it up and nobody cares but you and that is why you got to the place we do not speak of. We obviously do not give a [censored] what you think so stop telling us.

P.S. I will not take a deer over 200 yards. It is just a matter of perspective and you have foggy glasses when it comes to this topic.

[Linked Image]
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498032 04/27/19 04:38 AM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

First, the argument was expanded by you (from competition vs. hunting to recreational vs. hunting). And the original discussion Your original discussion with someone else means nothing to me. included accessories. So you have been off base from the get-go.
I said that if expanded to recreational I wouldn’t be as confident in there being such a disparity.

Now, the figures are presented showing hunters clearly spend way more than other groups. Some assumptions are made re:guns that are just that - assumptions.

What we do know is hunters spend approaching twice as much on their pursuits than all recreational shooters combined on their pursuits.

Now you are changing your tune to include accessories? Because of two random articles? Wow. You really are a piece of work...

That post proves my point about the shooter vs. hunter mentality. If you really think the majority of gun/ammo sales....

I said, recreational shooters. Which includes competition shooters. I also said that guns and ammo are bought in a much greater quantity by "shooters" than hunters. Those articles include accessories and if you know anything about retail sales, accessories and clothing make up more than 75% of the sales. Let me reiterate, your original discussion with someone else means nothing to me. Academy only sells guns because they started as an outdoors store. They make very little on their actual gun and ammo sales.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498033 04/27/19 04:40 AM
S
Struggle Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Damn it, y’all are going to make me buy another flashlight. Have you ever tried to explain why you spent a s-ton on a flashlight? My wife wasn’t impressed at the The tree down the roads foliage and I had my salesman britches on.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498034 04/27/19 04:40 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
It won't be the .243 It's the perfect cartridge for Texas deer hunting and everything else is inferior!

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498036 04/27/19 04:41 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
rolleyes

On so many levels 2Beez......

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498037 04/27/19 04:42 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
What did I say that was wrong?

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide