Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason #743921 06/01/09 05:22 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Got a place for a permanent duck blind this season, so me and my son are kinda stoked about it, so is my little girl for that matter. Heck even my wife is showing interest and wants to go. Looks like this season my wife and little girl will go on their first duck hunt! We are gonna have a heater and stove and the whole enchilada!

We got the floor finished this weekend. We made the floor in 4 x 6 foot sections, this will fit perfectly in my SUV for transport. And with it in sections like this, me and my son can handle setup/breakdown pretty easy, this will help if we want to move the blind as will, Blue Moon gave me that idea. Below are some pics:

For the rest of the blind, we are thinking of following this design:

http://www.missourioutback.com/Stories/lesson3.html

The blind will be 12 x 6. I like the low profile of the blind, the size of the design seems about right. I’m going to build a platform for my kids so they will sit high enough in the blind. Cappy_Tx and Blue Moon have both sent me pics of their blinds, I appreciate that, I’m going to be looking real hard at that as we enter the next phase of our little project. Anything I should consider post up!!

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: Guy] #743922 06/01/09 05:50 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Guy, I'm really impressed with how you keep your kids involved - espeically that young lad. Kudos to you!

And it looks like y'all are gonna have a fine spot to hunt soon!

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: Big Orn] #743923 06/01/09 06:52 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Looking forward to some great videos this season.

Make sure there is a place for Molly and the kids to see over the bar while seated.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: TexasEd] #743924 06/01/09 09:02 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Guy - did you allow enough space for the stove, toilet and bed? Dang, when you build them, it's no small project!!

Kudos on getting the kiddos involved! Many hands make short work.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: kyotee1] #743925 06/01/09 10:02 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
LOL I just noticed your son has his power pills right beside him...just in case: M&Ms....

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: Big Orn] #743926 06/02/09 03:13 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Guy, I'm really impressed with how you keep your kids involved - espeically that young lad. Kudos to you!

Thanks Orn! My son is just nuts over duck hunting and is his #1 thing. My little girl, well I can tell she wants to get into it, but she and my wife are like real tight, and my little girl does not want to leave my wife out I can tell. But it looks like I might just get both ladies out there this season!

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: Guy] #743927 06/02/09 03:25 AM
J
junfan68 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
There you go, have your wife & daughter shag you & your son's birds for you.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: TexasEd] #743928 06/02/09 03:43 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Make sure there is a place for Molly and the kids to see over the bar while seated.

Yeah “the bar” is about 42 inches per the design in the link I posted above. At first I was going to take it down to accommodate my kids, but a better solution it to just build them a platform that boosts them high enough, and I can just make that smaller and smaller as they grow!

And my dog, I was just going to make a doggie door in front. The front of the blind is 32 inches tall, and my dog sits a little higher than that, but when she stands she is 28 inches tall. With a door, she may like it better laying down in the blind when marking birds. She is use to doing that with my layout blind.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: kyotee1] #743929 06/02/09 04:00 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Guy - did you allow enough space for the stove, toilet and bed? Dang, when you build them, it's no small project!!

Well Chris, we are for sure gonna have a little portable stove and heater!!

And we have already been talking about sleeping in there, we are gonna have a bench in the back that will be 20 inches wide and 12 foot long! I can sleep on that just fine! No Toilet but I'm sure my wife would like one!

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: Guy] #743930 06/02/09 05:44 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Pretty cool. Are you going to float it?

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: ndhunter] #743931 06/02/09 04:57 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Looks kewl guy!! A suggestion for the dog. Cut a hole in the front where the dog's head can stick out comfortably. this way she won't try standing up to look out of you shooting hole. It also helps because when you move the dog will learn to go to the hole and will stay out of your way. If they have to stand up to see they get to be a pain in the arse. With the hole it also aids in breaking issues. Your attentions can be all about the birds as they come in and when you ready you just open thier door to let them do their thing. If you have a small platform outside of their door they can do the shake shake before you let them back in as well. Bull knows to hand me the bird and when I tell him to shake shake he dries off, then he gets to get in the blind.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: wal1809] #743932 06/02/09 06:18 PM
W
WhiskeyandMe Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Guy,

I skimmed through the thread, but a few things to think about. Becareful how much you put together at your house, for it will be heavy to travel, (unless you are screwing everything together, to disassemble to re-assemble)

Secondly, when Brandon was little, he and the other "little" kids would sleep on the bench we made...Just make sure they are warm and have plenty of "snacks"

Thirdly...keepin' the kids involved is what makes it sooooo fun!

Lastly, the simpler you make it, the better off you are!!!!!!!! Seems to me the simpler blinds killed the most birds!

Thanks for sharin'

J.J.

Looking for a Deer, Dove, Duck, Crow, Goose, Hog, or Turkey Hunt? Check us out! www.kentoutdoors.com

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #743933 06/02/09 06:22 PM
W
WhiskeyandMe Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Oh, I forgot...

After the blind is complete....(painted and all)

Come back and have "your kids" (or any other people - wife included) Spray paint their name inside the blind, and date it...Kinda puts their "mark" on it

If you use a green or tan, then paint it in Black so it shows up...

Brandon and I did that with one we built here, and everytime you walk in it, it is right there inside the door for all to see! J.J. and Brandon Kent Built 7/2/2002...

(just a thought)

J.J.

Looking for a Deer, Dove, Duck, Crow, Goose, Hog, or Turkey Hunt? Check us out! www.kentoutdoors.com

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #743934 06/02/09 07:07 PM
JohnWester Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
POWER PILLS lol

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: JohnWester] #743935 06/02/09 09:06 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Should have just got a boat with a boat blind! No hauling gear through the mud and muck! I hope you do not have to haul that blind far! Other than that, good to see you made a family project out of it.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: Guy] #743936 06/03/09 12:31 AM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Guy ... I dug up a couple pics of the 6 X 12 blind we used in NV. Hope these will help you see what I was saying about having lots of shelf space around and in front of you. Also, note the enclosed storage "cabinets" for binocs, shells, food, etc on the back wall that we created by making hinged and latchable plywood doors to cover the framed-in studs.

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: wal1809] #743937 06/03/09 06:40 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

A suggestion for the dog. Cut a hole in the front where the dog's head can stick out comfortably.

Good idea Wayne! I was thinking I would just leave the door down while hunting, and maybe it folds out to a platform, but your way may be best. Something to think about!

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #743938 06/03/09 07:11 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Be careful how much you put together at your house, for it will be heavy to travel, (unless you are screwing everything together, to disassemble to re-assemble)

I’m using all screws. But the biggest and heaviest pieces will be the floor, those 4 x 6 sections, they each weigh 150 lbs, not too bad for me and Ryan to handle. And they fit perfectly in my SUV. The walls and roof won’t be as heavy, they will be built in modular sections as well.
Quote:

Lastly, the simpler you make it, the better off you are!!!!!!!! Seems to me the simpler blinds killed the most birds!

Don’t get me wrong, we want to kill birds with this blind, but this blind is more about hanging out in a cool blind than killing birds. There are several spots to hunt, so those will be set up with “simple” blinds (sticks and natural cover…), but we will also have our layout blinds. One reason we want this big blind is so we have a place to keep our gear, like our layout blinds and deeks. This blind will just be our duck headquarters.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: TexasHeat] #743939 06/03/09 07:27 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Should have just got a boat with a boat blind! No hauling gear through the mud and muck!

Apples and oranges bro! Don’t get me wrong, I want to get a nice duck boat and I will, but it is not happening this year, but that is just a completely different experience, it is all good tho!

Quote:

I hope you do not have to haul that blind far!

It will not be far at all, we have not settled on a spot were we are going to put the blind, but it will be a place were we can drive right up to. This will be the first place we go because we will keep all our gear in there.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #743940 06/03/09 07:30 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Brandon and I did that with one we built here, and everytime you walk in it, it is right there inside the door for all to see! J.J. and Brandon Kent Built 7/2/2002...

Sweet!! We will do that!!

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: Guy] #743941 06/03/09 07:40 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
That is going to be really nice Guy. Can't wait to see the family hunting reports and pictures. Ditto on the note and date somewhere on the inside. Anytime I hunt a permanent public blind I try to remember to bring along a pen or marker and leave a note with a hunt tally, was here, and date. Always neat to see what others have written in the past too. You should have any guests that you invite to leave there own personal note on the ceiling or something.

With three wood ducks becoming part of the bag limit next season, I am seriously thinking of building a permanant duck blind out at my deer lease. Already bought a spare canoe to leave out there just for placing and retrieving decoys. I don't know that mine would be quite as fancy as y'alls though.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: Sniper John] #743942 06/03/09 07:56 AM
C
cajundave Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I started this one same time last year. It's comfortable to hunt out of and I was glad that I put it on skids. My ATV moved it easily. It's also pretty easy to level out as well.

The gaps in the wood let the water out but dont' let shells slip through.

I stapled grass to the outside and backed it up to the trees. I also tied camo net to the cattle panel flap. If I did it again, I think I would change only that part to where I could put down section at a time-may still make that mod.

I painted the deck and threw sand on it when the paint was still wet. With muddy waders, it's still got a good grip.

The gun stands, shelves, and hooks come in handy.
It hunts 4 very comfortably out of it with dog.

I'll try to find the pic of it brushed in. You can't see the side doors in this pic and the dog door doesn't show up well either.

Once built, we took the thing apart in sections, carried it in the back of a pickup, and then put it back together in about 30 minutes at the lake.

"Guns aren't toys!They're for family protection,hunting dangerous or delicious animals,and keeping the King of England out of your face!" H.Simpson
Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: ndhunter] #743943 06/03/09 08:00 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Are you going to float it?

You mean like a floating dock? Interesting, have not thought about that. I have thought about this systems for setting up in flooded area, namely the blocks with 2 x 6 runners, and mabey the 4x4 posts to elevate it where needed.

http://www.deckplans.com/images/content/sub_spotlight_nonono.jpg

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: cajundave] #743944 06/03/09 08:17 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

If I did it again, I think I would change only that part to where I could put down section at a time-may still make that mod.

Yeah, that will be key with our blind, with each section not too heavy, and fits in my SUV. And also want to minimize the screws needed to breakdown/setup.

Re: Building a Permanent Duck Blind this offseason [Re: Guy] #743945 06/03/09 03:28 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Hey guy I do believe your on track. I can tell you I have been in a duck blind longer than I can remember. I was a baby wrapped in a blanket in the blind with my folks. Your going to make some very happy memories for two youngsters and maybe your wife if you get their.

Other suggestions. Coleman stove for coffee, eggs bacon if your going to hunker down until the loafer flight. Hot chocolate for the kids. I find them at garage sales and just leave them in the blind with an old purcolator pot. That is the best coffee, anyhow you look at it.

Other suggestion-make the bech as comfortable as you can for the kids and the wife. If she is comfortable she will want to stay longer.

Third. Your wife aint going to keep her head down or use face paint. For no money at all you can put two hinges on a cut section of cattle panel and screw the hinges to the wood below the shooter hole. You don't have to have a frame on it or anyhting. Just wire tie some natural vegitation to the panel and pretso you have a fall away door. Then you would not have to get on somebody's arse for looking at the birds when they are circling.

Another tip. Most people worry about camo in front. Yes it is important but overhead is what you better pay attention to. Mallards, especially late seasoners will circle overhead and they will see you. I shy away from store bought camo unless I am covering it with natural. Well I say if I am covering it with natural then why not just use natural.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide