Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: custom rifle build questions [Re: RHutch] #7409721 01/20/19 10:20 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RHutch
Don't think the OP was talking about an AR platform. Your point on the GAP10 may have some validity and I cannot speak to that as I have not owned one.
On a bolt gun, not so much, especially in a typical hunting configuration.
Until you have had GAP build a rifle to your spec as I have, twice, you have no clue as to your ignorant $1000 claim.

I am good friend with a rifle builder. He knows George fairly well. I am aware of the processes that go into those of us commoners GA rifles, versus those that will be going out to compete as sponsored shooters. Again, I do have a clue, and I am not ignorant.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: custom rifle build questions [Re: Cleric] #7409722 01/20/19 10:22 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Cleric
What the hell I will wade in...

Gap makes a fine rifle. They cost more because it costs money to ensure a brand as big as there’s meets quality. And because people will buy them at the current prices.

There are many people that make great barrels/rifles but there is a difference when it’s an individual/smaller business as opposed to a major name. If I said bob smith made it, that carries different value then gap. Could be the same quality though

Exactly the point of my earlier statement. The engraving doesn't make it shoot better, it makes it cost more. Any rifle they build, will be good, no doubt about it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: custom rifle build questions [Re: J.G.] #7409763 01/20/19 10:56 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Contact Mark Pharr at www.tumbleweedsrifles.com in Round Rock. Discuss your project & he can build you the perfect rifle. He's not cheap but his prices are reasonable for a custom rifle.

The North has double last names. The South has double first names.
Re: custom rifle build questions [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7409766 01/20/19 10:58 PM
R
RHutch Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
I'm not defending GAP if it seems as such, but I will call BS when I hear it.

Ive sent boxes of parts and received a complete rifle in return with a bill of less than $1000 TWICE, which included return insured shipping back to TX from KCMO.
Builds included bedding, ceracote, chamber, thread muzzle, etc, etc AND the barrel is engraved with the GAP logo.
Isn't hard to cypher that the logo didn't cost a grand which is why your statement is absolutely wrong.

Yes, there are other smiths that can build a consistently accurate rifle at varying cost levels. I think I've used at least 5 smiths on 10 or so builds over the years. All of them put out a great rifle.

This is why my advice is to contact a smith or three, discuss end goals and determine who is the right fit for the job.

Re: custom rifle build questions [Re: Ackley_improved] #7423483 02/03/19 06:03 PM
O
oulufinn Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Ackley_improved
With a 4-5k budget all in, I'm buying a Barrett Fieldcraft, having a gunsmith bed it. Spend the rest on the best scope and rings that you can afford.

Otherwise, a Seekins Havak Pro Hunter PH1, plus the best scope and rings that you can afford.

I'd go 6.5 creed, without question.

If you want full custom, with optics to match that level of gun, you'll need to budget more than 4-5k.

Good plan, right there.

By the way, Barrett just announced the addition of 280 AI to their Fieldcraft lineup...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/16-new-rifles-from-shot-show-2019

NRA Life Member

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen" ~ Dennis Prager
Re: custom rifle build questions [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7429300 02/09/19 10:00 PM
W
Wheelin' Outdoorsman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I am by no meas an expert here but I have spent a lifetime committed to the .308 Winchester. I've been blessed to harvest a wide variety of game with it from deer to bear to an elk. But due to some changes in my health (bad shoulders) I have recently followed the advice of a friend that is a long range competitive shooter and DIY gunsmith.

I chose the 6.5 Creedmoor because it is FAST, FLAT, and LOW RECOIL. Thanks to the solid popularity, ammo manufacturers are doing a good job of developing loads designed for hunting everything, including elk.

I paired my Ruger American (22" barrell) with the Nikon Black FX 1000. All in for under $2000

Wheelin' Outdoorsman
TurningPOINT & Team Challenge
www.turningpointnation.org
"To develop self-esteem and confidence in the physically challenged through participation in adapted outdoor adventures"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide