Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7415574 01/26/19 02:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Scott probably hates prime rib, muscle cars and Johnny Walker liquor too

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7415608 01/26/19 03:37 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Check out www.cdnnsports.com in Abilene.

They have some smoking deals on Rugers and others.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7415666 01/26/19 05:18 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ruger does make a hell of a rifle I own two.

I’ve killed more game with my Ruger MKII .270 than any other rifle I own combined

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: J.G.] #7415709 01/26/19 06:33 PM
A
Ackley_improved Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
If the folks at Yeti and Tikka should ever team up to create coolers and rifles, some of you guys are going to be taking out loans to buy the latest offerings.

What a dumb post.

Yeti angered the whole gun industry last year. NRA severed ties with them. Gun owners destroyed some coolers. Yeti and Nike are good ole ANTI-American companies. Probably right up the alley for a man that throws a U.S. flag in the trash.

Your data regarding Yeti is incorrect.

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7416214 01/27/19 03:35 PM
W
Wreckt Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
CZ 557 sporter in 30-06. Just picked one up and added a vx-3i. Amazing bang for the buck. Walnut stock, short sporter barrel, CZ accuracy and dependability .... works for me. Kicks a little, bit it’s a field rifle not a bench paper puncher so I can live with that.

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: txtrophy85] #7416303 01/27/19 06:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I’ve killed more game with my Ruger MKII .270 than any other rifle I own combined

Don't own any of their rifles but the quality of the workmanship in my Ruger Mark IV .22 handgun is exceptional.

I'm sure most if not all would agree, but there's a distinct feel you get when handling an exceptionally made firearm and the Ruger Mark IV has it.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7416337 01/27/19 06:51 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Check out www.cdnnsports.com in Abilene.

They have some smoking deals on Rugers and others.

Yep. I just bought a TC Venture 30-06 for $300

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Texas Dan] #7416475 01/27/19 11:16 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Don't own any of their rifles but the quality of the workmanship in my Ruger Mark IV .22 handgun is exceptional.

I'm sure most if not all would agree, but there's a distinct feel you get when handling an exceptionally made firearm and the Ruger Mark IV has it.

A Ruger M77 rifle just has a feel about it that seems solid. Some guns have them and some don't and price doesn't necessarily reflect it.

Old school model 700's, Winchester model 70's had them, Ruger has them, Weatherby Mark V's, etc.

Went and played with a Fierce rifle the other day and it felt cheap to me. Def. did not feel like a $3k rifle.

They are def. working rifles but the Howa 1500 has gotten a nod from me. No frills but the action and triggers are solid and for a working gun that isn't a cheap piece of carp I recommend them.

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7416575 01/28/19 01:44 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
For your criteria, I like the Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. More accurate than it has a right to be, the .308 is very forgiving in a shorter barrel, and not many hooved animals in North America haven't fallen to it. Oh, and it's a short action. I like those. If I was going on an elk hunt tomorrow I'd bring my Ruger Gunsite and my Winchester M70 Featherweight, also in .308, as my back up. Third choice, which has killed some elk, would be my Remmy M700 in .25-06. That's just a killing machine. It doesn't even feel fair most times.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: txtrophy85] #7416583 01/28/19 01:53 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Scott probably hates prime rib, muscle cars and Johnny Walker liquor too

roflmao

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ackley_improved] #7416586 01/28/19 01:56 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ackley_improved
If the folks at Yeti and Tikka should ever team up to create coolers and rifles, some of you guys are going to be taking out loans to buy the latest offerings.

What a dumb post.

Yeti angered the whole gun industry last year. NRA severed ties with them. Gun owners destroyed some coolers. Yeti and Nike are good ole ANTI-American companies. Probably right up the alley for a man that throws a U.S. flag in the trash.

Not.

NRA made a deal with Yeti.

In the middle of the order, Yeti changed the prices. Where I come from, that is crawfishing on a deal. And that is bs

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: New Bolt Action [Re: J.G.] #7416732 01/28/19 12:37 PM
A
Ackley_improved Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A

What a dumb post.

Not.

NRA made a deal with Yeti.

In the middle of the order, Yeti changed the prices. Where I come from, that is crawfishing on a deal. And that is bs

Spin that NRA narrative all you want, but the facts remain facts. I am a huge second amendment supporter...but I am a bigger supporter of honesty.

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ackley_improved] #7416854 01/28/19 02:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Spin that NRA narrative all you want, but the facts remain facts. I am a huge second amendment supporter...but I am a bigger supporter of honesty.

While I remain a member, my opinion of the NRA dropped when I realized they were sending me renewal notices without any regard to my membership being soon to expire. When I called and questioned them about it, I was told they do it because members like to get the free gifts, even when their membership is not set to expire for several years or more. Pardon the pun but I don't buy it.

Now I just periodically check the date on the mailing label on the NRA magazine that I get to alert me as to when I need to renew.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/28/19 02:52 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Slow Drifter] #7416893 01/28/19 03:19 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
For your criteria, I like the Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. More accurate than it has a right to be, the .308 is very forgiving in a shorter barrel, and not many hooved animals in North America haven't fallen to it. Oh, and it's a short action. I like those. If I was going on an elk hunt tomorrow I'd bring my Ruger Gunsite and my Winchester M70 Featherweight, also in .308, as my back up. Third choice, which has killed some elk, would be my Remmy M700 in .25-06. That's just a killing machine. It doesn't even feel fair most times.

is that the rifle with the rail on the barrel, the flash suppressor and the extended magazine? kinda looks like a Mini-14?

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7417364 01/28/19 10:59 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Dang. This is almost as good as that thread I made in the land/leases forum.

For what it's worth, coming from a dude that's only shot one deer, which was with a .243. The only centerfire rifle I currently own is a marlin 336 30/30.

I have been searching a lot on nilgai rifles, and reading a lot about it in this forum particularly. I am probably going to snag myself a Remington Model Seven in 300 WSM. It's available with open sights or without, stainless or blued, laminate or synthetic and I could probably use that one nice rifle for everything I will ever hunt on the continent. Not the best or the worst but it's quality and built on a short action that saves almost a half pound of weight.

Save a little money and later down the road put a McMillan hunter's edge and a fixed 6x leupold and you have a real nice lightweight and effective gun.

If you're just looking for a good deal, buy used from a pawn shop, look for guns with light surface rust you can easily straighten out with a piece of 0000 steel wool and some oil. You can find great deals that way, and when it comes time to sell, get a full return on the initial cost of the gun. I shop for guns almost strictly from pawn shops. Long as the bore is bright and the rust isn't pitted it's good to go.

Edit- here is the model 7, stainless synthetic, in 300 wsm for $699 at academy:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/re...-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=4985773

Last edited by regularguy11B; 01/28/19 11:23 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: New Bolt Action [Re: txtrophy85] #7417389 01/28/19 11:26 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter

is that the rifle with the rail on the barrel, the flash suppressor and the extended magazine? kinda looks like a Mini-14?

It is. The rail comes off and the scope can be mounted forward, "scout" style, or over the receiver, traditionally. The magazine mine came with is flush mount.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Texas Dan] #7417409 01/28/19 11:42 PM
G
garyrapp55 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
G

While I remain a member, my opinion of the NRA dropped when I realized they were sending me renewal notices without any regard to my membership being soon to expire. When I called and questioned them about it, I was told they do it because members like to get the free gifts, even when their membership is not set to expire for several years or more. Pardon the pun but I don't buy it.

Now I just periodically check the date on the mailing label on the NRA magazine that I get to alert me as to when I need to renew.

The NRA stays afloat and helps gun owners (helps all free Americans in my opinion) with the money they get from supporters/members. If they send me a renewal offer well before my membership expires and I've got money, I'll renew cause I might not have money when it expires. I also occasionally donate extra funds to support the organization that supports me. So what if your membership doesn't expire for 2 years, if you got a little extra, give it to them. quitchabitchin

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: garyrapp55] #7417862 01/29/19 02:37 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

The NRA stays afloat and helps gun owners (helps all free Americans in my opinion) with the money they get from supporters/members. If they send me a renewal offer well before my membership expires and I've got money, I'll renew cause I might not have money when it expires. I also occasionally donate extra funds to support the organization that supports me. So what if your membership doesn't expire for 2 years, if you got a little extra, give it to them. quitchabitchin

Till the NRA threw us under the bus with the bump stock thing...

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7418802 01/30/19 11:31 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Coupla things.

Agree with the NRA criticisms. However, find another "group" that stands with/for gun owners. Yep, they do get drawn into political stuff like bump stocks. Like said in the book The Godfather "Nothing personal. It's just business.".

Lots of good shooting irons out there. And, almost every company makes mistakes. That said, I'll never have another Remington. I have an early 700 in 222 that had the trigger problem that they denied for years. The CEO should be doing prison time.

I remember this type of argument from the 1960's. I was in the USAF. There was an all services shooting match between Air Force, Army, Navy and Marines. The Armorers and Vendors showed up and argued these same points. No way any of these experts would back down on anything. One thing they did agree on was the early Colt 223's being a dangerous POS. Don't remember what the Colt Rep said. BTW, the USAF came in dead last. We had full time jobs and the Army and Marine guys on their shooting teams did nothing but shoot.

To the OP. Don't know your level of experience. Lots of good shooting irons out there and, IMO, a couple of questionable ones. Like other products, most gun companies turn out an occasional dud. Do you handload or will you buy off the shelf ammo? Caliber? I remember showing up in New Mexico to elk hunt quite a few years ago with my 165 gr loads and finding out that they mandated a 180 grain minimum.

All that said, my butchered 1917 Eddystone 30-06 has taken a lot of different types of game in the US and Africa. It's never let me down. Had to have it rebarreled a couple of years ago.

I have and hand load for a bunch of calibers. Been handloading for over 35 or more years. Still learning.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7418823 01/30/19 12:13 PM
R
Ryan F. Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
Ended up buying a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday at cabelas for $629. Great deal I couldn’t pass up. Mainly, it will be used for mule deer, whitetail and hogs with the occasional antelope or elk if I ever draw a tag. (If I do ever draw an elk tag I may even have an excuse to buy another gun in a 7mm or 300WM hammer )

I do handload but don’t have as much time to do it anymore and I know I can get a box of 6.5 Creedmoor off the shelf that will shoot extremely well. I also have a 6.5 grendel already in an AR platform that has become one of my favorite guns to shoot because it is so dang accurate. So far I am digging that 6.5mm bullet.

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7418846 01/30/19 01:00 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Ryan F.
Ended up buying a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday at cabelas for $629. Great deal I couldn’t pass up. Mainly, it will be used for mule deer, whitetail and hogs with the occasional antelope or elk if I ever draw a tag. (If I do ever draw an elk tag I may even have an excuse to buy another gun in a 7mm or 300WM hammer )

I do handload but don’t have as much time to do it anymore and I know I can get a box of 6.5 Creedmoor off the shelf that will shoot extremely well. I also have a 6.5 grendel already in an AR platform that has become one of my favorite guns to shoot because it is so dang accurate. So far I am digging that 6.5mm bullet.

Another one drinks the kool-aid....

All kidding aside, that rifle will serve you well on deer sized critters up

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7418870 01/30/19 01:29 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You're going to love that rig Ryan. Great rifle and cartridge.

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7418877 01/30/19 01:42 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
What is the optimum length of the barrel for the Creedmor?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: New Bolt Action [Re: scottfromdallas] #7418903 01/30/19 02:03 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Tikka is a solid rifle for the money. They just work. If you don’t like them, don’t buy one. I think Weatherbys are ugly and Ruger 77s are pretty. Everyone has different tastes.

Ruger 77s are sexy.

Re: New Bolt Action [Re: Ryan F.] #7419009 01/30/19 03:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ryan F.

Good call.

Boringly accurate for a mass produced rifle. Throw it a hand load, and I will not be surprised if you keep three rounds less than 3/4 or 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I have done it with several Tikkas in various cartridges. And the 6.5 Creedmoor is on the list of "easy to make shoot well".

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide