Print Thread
Gun shy lab #73280 07/05/06 02:58 PM
S
skyshark Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
OK, so I finally got a trainer come out and evaluate my yellow lab. Turns out she is freaked out by the sound of guns. She is almost a year old. I asked the guy and he told me she will be a good PET but will never hunt. I am pretty much heart broke and now trying to figure out what I can do to maybe break this behavior. I put her on a leash and shot a TON of fireworks last night and she seemed to get used to it the more I shot. Do you think I can keep doing this and get her used to the noise? Am I ever going to be able to hunt with this dog?

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73281 07/05/06 04:24 PM
T
travelinman31 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
My opinion and my opinion only!!!! I would try putting the dog with another dog that get's excited over gunfire. Shoot far enough off that the dogs can hear it but not right next to them. Watch the dogs close and see if some of the other dogs excitement might wear off. I have never heard of a professional trainer doing this, but have had some luck with it personally. I don't think subjecting the dog to Fireworks is the answer. Had a good GSP ruined by fireworks. Brought him home as a youngster on the 1st of July a couple of years ago. Not thinking left for some 4th of July festivities and the neighbor kids shot a bunch of Fireworks, new place, strange sounds, all alone = gun shy dog. Been working him out of it slowly, but not sure he'll ever come around. Good luck, and to answer your question will you ever be able to hunt with this dog? Yes, he may just run and hide under the truck everytime you shoot.

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: travelinman31] #73282 07/05/06 05:30 PM
S
skyshark Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Thanks a ton man! This just STINKS! I am going to work with her till dove season and see what I can get done....What do ya'll think about something like this.....

Gun shy solution

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73283 07/05/06 05:40 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
never heard of a CD like that before...interisting. Maybe you can call them and ask if they know of anyone using it and it working. They guys that run this website are good guys, i have bought several things from them in the past. I am sure they would be more then happy to help out with an honest review

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73284 07/05/06 05:51 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hey Skyshark, that does suck! Hate to hear that, I wouldn’t give up on your dog!! Does your dog like to retrieve? If so, there may be hope, but I’m really not an expert. Did you see the thread I created on this topic? Below is the thread. See Wayne’s, First Chance, and Elliott’s comments on how to do it right. I just bought a cap gun from Wal-mart. It’s not loud at all, try that with her first. Throw a bumper and when she is running after it, fire it. Wait till she is far off, then fire it, and gradually fire it with her closer The cap gun I got is not loud at all, I think it is called Western Legends or something.

Gun Fire Thread

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73285 07/05/06 06:02 PM
T
travelinman31 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I'm curious about the trainer. Did he say she would never hunt because of the gunshyness? How much faith do you have in the trainer. I wouldn't have thought a trainer would be so quick to reduce a dog to pet status. Did he work with her on anything else? Gunshyness can be overcome, but sometimes it isn't worth the hassle. If you ever get a dog that is excited by the sound, smell, or even the sight of a gun you'll see what I mean. A dog that has been worked out of gunshyness will probably never show that enthusiasm and anxiousness about it. I haven't dealt with labs, just pointing dogs and there are some differences. If you break her of the gunshyness are you going to let this trainer work with her?? Just wondering don't want to say anything bad about anybody yet. But unless he is swamped with dogs to work, it would seem like he would have been a little more optimistic.

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: travelinman31] #73286 07/05/06 06:18 PM
3ShotRock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I'm with you travelinman I think it was a pretty quick to think she will just be a pet. Most of all you have to make gunfire FUN, if she has something she loves only bring it out when you are going to be firing, I have used this method before, if she likes a certain treat give it to her after you or someone has fired the gun. But most of all you MOST start off far from her when firing and slowly move in closer even if you take up to six month to move in next to her. By then she will know that the gun means fun!!! Be patiant and never give up on them because they never give up on you.

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: 3ShotRock] #73287 07/05/06 06:31 PM
S
Skybuster05 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

I'm with you travelinman I think it was a pretty quick to think she will just be a pet. Most of all you have to make gunfire FUN, if she has something she loves only bring it out when you are going to be firing, I have used this method before, if she likes a certain treat give it to her after you or someone has fired the gun. But most of all you MOST start off far from her when firing and slowly move in closer even if you take up to six month to move in next to her. By then she will know that the gun means fun!!! Be patiant and never give up on them because they never give up on you.

I completely agree with this method it worked on a buddies dog. I took him to the range and started in the parking lot. Every shot he acknowledged I praised heavily and gave him a piece of hot dog. Within 2 months I had him at the ready bench just as relaxed and he could be! I would question your trainer if he gave such negative feedback. Not all but allot of dogs can be cured of this.

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: travelinman31] #73288 07/05/06 06:40 PM
S
skyshark Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
He is a pretty reputible guy from what I have been hearing. He also really seemed to know what he was talking about. I am DEFINATELY going to keep working her. He gave me a TON of tips and so I went to acadamy and pet smart today at lunch to pick up some stuff to get her started. I am not going to give up on her she is a hell of a dog. I guess I need to stop by wally world on the way home to get a cap gun! Thanks for the advice all!

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73289 07/06/06 10:02 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
You can definately change the dogs thought process. I took my new bitch the other day and introduced her to gunfire for the first time. She is 4 months and within 20 minutes she was coming to the sound looking for a bird. I used a bumper with wings and threw it. I held her back until she was about to pee herself and let her go. I fired a kids cap gun as she was running to the bumper. She stopped and looked back and then headed for the bumper. That is a key issue, they must be on the way and excited about getting the bumper. I then gave the bumper and cap gun to my wife. She held up the bumper hollaring here pup. She threw the bumper and popped a cap. Dog learned immediately that sound means I get to get something I want most of all. So with that being said I would be extremely patient because you have to change something already implanted for what ever reason. To do that you are going to need to get this dog turned onto live birds. Leave the gunfire alone until you have the dog fired up over birds. I would stop all forms of training when around live birds and make it only fun. "Here pup" it up. And as somebody mentioned get another dog involved that is very birdie and let them both go at the live bird. Once you see the dog is big time all go on birds let a buddy throw the bird at about 40 yards. "Fetch it pup fetch it pup" get the dog fired then let the dog go. Just as it reaches the bird pop a kids toy cap gun. The dog probably won't even act as if the shot was heard. Then do it again. Over the course of say 4 or 5 days pop that cap sooner and sooner. Until your buddy at 40 yards can pop the cap and throw the bird. Your dog should associate the noise with a live bird. Once that happens your dog will go to the sound instead of shy from it. Where do you live? If your close enough ou can come work with us and we can get it straight. I got birds and all. I live south of Sealy Tx. I can't say why the trainer did not want to work with the dog but maybe he just did not have the time for a special problem. No telling. Anyhow the only other advise is to go very slow for this is not something to rush. Day by day 15 or so minutes. I would say you could bird up your dog enough to do this within a week or so. In other words it should be a week of just fun and birds then start slow on the caps. Let me know if I can help you.

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: wal1809] #73290 07/06/06 11:56 AM
S
skyshark Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Nice! Thanks. I have my 2 year old this weekend so it may not be possible this weekend. Maybe we can get together next saturday. I REALLY need the help. This is my first dog! I read for about eight hours yesterday trying to figure this out. I went home last night and worked with her. I made her sit and stay on one end of the house and slammed a cabinet soft at first then would let her come get a treat. By the end of doing this I was slamming the cabinet so hard I was concerned I may break it and she was SOLID!!!!!

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73291 07/06/06 11:41 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
It seems to me you have the right mindset. Hang in there for pup for it might pay off for years in the long run. I forgot to tell you this on PM. Don't worry about getting her tuned up for dove season. She might not make it. I know it is hard to pass it up but think of it this way. If you rush her through to get her ready for this season you can make a mistake. Think of it this way. You have over a decade of hunting with a dog. I would much rather miss one season and get everyhting just right to assure I have the rest of the seasons work out perfectly. If you rush it then you run a risk of having problems for that decade. It is like any other project. Do it exactly right the first time so you don't have to do it again later. When it comes to dogs I assure you fixing a problem later is much more a pain in the arse than doing it right the first time. I could be wrong but that is the feeling I got in one of your posts is you really want this to be her season. I don't blame you. But get that worked out then set your sights on her season. I am kind of in the same situation with my bitch. She is 4 months now and could definately gets some doves by the season. My wife is chewing my ear off to let her take her to the opener down south and I won't let her. Too many problems can arise by that. That little bitch is a fireball no doubt but I don't feel like having to go through the problems created by that. Now I might put her on a leash and let her get the last couple of birds but that would be it. An extremely controlled environment after everybody has killed their limit. But not during the utter chaos of a white wing shoot down south. I just might be able to save my ear by doing that.

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: wal1809] #73292 07/07/06 12:01 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Screw that trainer...... he is an idiot! Why would he shoot over a dog that he had no background on! STUPID.....
First, get you some pigeons! Even if your dog has been introduced to live birds before. Take one bird and pull out the flight feathers on the wings. Get your dog out and let him have at the pigeon. Make it fun for the dog!! Do this a few days and when he gets real birdie.... go out to the field. Get a 209 primer cap gun (find em at any gun dog supply store online) and enlist the help of a buddy. Get as many pigeons as you can get cause you will use a bunch trying to get the pup over being gun shy. Now back to what you and buddy do in the field.... Have your bud setup a good 100 yards away from where you are working the dog. Get a pigeon and play the same game with the pup as you have done in the yard at home but this time have your bud fire a few shots and look at the reaction your pup has. If the pup seems more interested in the fired shot than the bird, this is not a good sign but not the kiss of death either! Now if pup pays the fired shot no attention..... have your bud move closer and closer until he is right next to you working the dog. Once you have got pup this far you are almost home! On the following weekend, get a few buds to help. This time we are going to shoot live flyers. Have your buds setup a good distance away. Let one guy throw the bird and another shoot. Now the aim here is not to kill the first few birds you throw. Dog will see the birds take to wing and this SHOULD get them amped up. Once the dog is not showing any signs of fear at the gun shot, have your buds kill a bird and send the pup to retrieve. What we want to teach the dog is to have the association of Birds+Gun fire =fun......... Gun fire should be the sound of fun and play time for the pup. This is about the best way I know of working a gun shy dog to get over his fears. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73293 07/07/06 05:18 PM
B
Buck_N_Hook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Try this:
I am currently training a Yellow Lab Pup and she took to this method.

First I shot a cap gun when it was time to eat in the evening then while she was eating I shot some more. Most of the time she will not even look up. You want to associate gun fire with something good is the main thing here.

2nd I moved up to a shotgun I hold the shotgun and fire then give here the food and do it while she is eating. I take the shot out of the shotgun shell and point the muzzle in the air, outside of course. You can also use 22 blanks this way too.

Have not done this yet but is next on the list I will have someone fire the shotgun will either they or I throw the dummy. After of course the dog is fetching with enthusiasm.

You might try taking your dog to the shotgun range and walking her around gradually getting closer to the gun fire. But make it fun and don't force the dog to much.

"People have more fun than anybody I know!!!"
Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73294 07/07/06 05:41 PM
T
Trigger4u Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
skyshark,...see the link below. Enter "Gun Shy Lab" in the search criteria.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/hunting/huntingdogs

Last edited by Trigger4u; 07/07/06 06:10 PM.
Re: Gun shy lab [Re: Trigger4u] #73295 07/07/06 06:43 PM
S
skyshark Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Thanks man!

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: wal1809] #73296 07/11/06 12:18 PM
S
skyshark Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Waynelain is the DR. Phil canine addition. I guess I could have PM'd you wayne but I really wanted to thank you for getting myself and my dog right. I was was thinking I almost wanted to give my dog away when someone told me she would never hunt. After listing to what Mr. Wayne had to say on Sunday I elected to go and buy some live quail and she what happens with a cap gun.... I guess I will say that she just went nutz ! She is now retrieving grabbing the birds regaurdless of the cap gun (if I am 20 yards away). I guess the key is to take baby steps and eventually with the help of some friends and patients you can do about anything with your dog!

Thanks again Wayne!

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73297 07/11/06 12:24 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
very cool, I have never talked to Waynelain but does come across as very knowable....where did you get the quail and how much were they? I am needing to get some for my dog

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Gun shy lab [Re: garrett] #73298 07/11/06 02:54 PM
S
skyshark Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Man you need to call him to get your dog to shy from snakes. He is more than likley to give you a couple additional tips about your dog too!

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73299 07/11/06 03:18 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Rowdy is only 5 months old right now...but he will be doing the snake avoidance for sure

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: garrett] #73300 07/11/06 03:27 PM
S
skyshark Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
My dog is 8-9 months I am guessing. I am still waiting for my buddy to send me her paperwork. I cant take my dog to Zach without her shot records. Our dogs should get along well. Call me when you get those birds in lockhart and we can get together. Wayne has a place out in Flatonia so he may meet you there to do it. Give him a call...you wont regret it.... Well that dont let wayne start talking by the back of the truck where the snake is you may regret it when you jump 10 feet in the air when that thing surprises you with a RATTLE

Re: Gun shy lab *DELETED* [Re: skyshark] #73301 07/11/06 05:26 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Post deleted by Sniper John

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: Sniper John] #73302 07/12/06 04:12 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Skyshark, is your dog shy away from the sight of a gun? We used to play a little game in my house when my dog was a pup. My son had a little batter operated 30-30 that had an electronic fire when you pulled the trigger (not loud at all). Something like the link below. I would throw a little stuffed animal, and my son would pretend to shoot it, then we would have my pup fetch it on command. My dog loved that game, and I think it helped her. You may try something like that, maybe a little small toy riffle would not be so scary to your dog. Doing it in the house where your dog feels safe may also help.

http://www.toyarsenal.com/Merchant2/merc...ory_Code=Cap150

Re: Gun shy lab [Re: skyshark] #73303 07/12/06 07:32 PM
B
BrycehausCBR's Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Ger yourself a starter pistol. Then whenever you feed her fire the pistol. Start from a distance an work your way closer over time. When working retieves with her use the pistol. Let her associate the noise with the gun. You can pop balloons if you feed in the house.

I start this with pups at 8 weeks haven't had any gun shy.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide