Print Thread
Kerr Information #7289171 09/17/18 06:19 PM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
We got picked at Kerr. Where is the best place to stay near there? Has anyone been there? If so, please provide some information

Jason
Re: Kerr Information [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7289181 09/17/18 06:26 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Is it the either sex hunt? I would just take a tent and camp at the Kerr.

Re: Kerr Information [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7289199 09/17/18 06:41 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
We stayed at the YO Ranch hotel about 10 mins away. Cool place but a little expensive. There is another park down the road to the northwest that you might be able to camp at. Plenty of hotels in the general area.

The exotics out there are black buck and axis mostly. The black buck seem to stay up by the headquarters. Lots of deer and we saw some nice bucks too but we couldn't take a buck when we hunted there. You bring your own portal blind and can feed. You have to setup within a few yards of your designated area. The staff drops you off and picks you up every hunt.

Re: Kerr Information [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7289239 09/17/18 07:33 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Kerr WMA does not allow camping.

MO Ranch right down the road. Tents, cabins, rooms, and more. Nice Riverside place

Quote:
Mo-Ranch offers hospitality unlike any other, with a wide variety of lodging with rustic touches of the Hill Country intertwined throughout. Accommodations include hotel rooms, scenic campgrounds, group lodging, cottages, historical mansions and private waterfront casitas.
https://www.moranch.org/

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Kerr Information [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7289293 09/17/18 08:04 PM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Thank you very much!!!

Jason
Re: Kerr Information [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7289314 09/17/18 08:15 PM
W
wtjim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Second MO Ranch as they have several options from basic to fully equipped.

Re: Kerr Information [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7289334 09/17/18 08:50 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Congratulations. MO Ranch is good; don't know if they kitchenettes and good places to eat are back in Kerrville ,at least when I hunted there. Don't mean it as bragging but I shot out in 15 minutes, 2 deer 100 yds from the HQ Bldg. MO Ranch let me get my stuff out of the room and didn't charge me anything. Places to stay and eat became a non-issue.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Kerr Information [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7289358 09/17/18 09:16 PM
L
LoneStarCarnivore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
The MO Ranch Presbyterian Camp is an amazing place and is super close. We hunted the Kerr last year and stayed at the MO. We stayed in one of their "Motel" rooms and it was worth every penny. We were on a youth hunt and my daughter shot a big fat doe and a cow horn 5 1/2 year old huge body spike. Great facility with an even better staff. We hunted Daughtrey, Kerr, Chap and Sringfellow last year and this was by far the best experience.

Re: Kerr Information [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7289440 09/17/18 10:54 PM
H
hilltop101 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I stayed in Kerrville when I hunted there a couple years ago. The YO is cool but expensive. Kerville is the cheapest place to stay but a little farther.

I would definitely ask the staff the best place to hunt in your compartment. There were two blinds in the compartment I hunted and the one they told me to hunt out of paid off. Most likely they have trail cam pics from the compartment you will be hunting. When I hunted they put out bait piles of corn and put up trail cams over them. They already had a good idea what deer I would see. If I were you I would put out a pile of corn in the same place as their bait pile since the deer will most likely find it quickly.

If I had a bit of advice it would be don’t pass on a buck the first day you wouldn’t pass on the last day. You only get two days to hunt, so you can’t be too picky. Although it’s high fenced, they’re native hill country deer that feed on natural browse. A typical mature trophy is about 130-140. They have some 160 inch deer but they are rare. I think the record is 176.

Overall it’s one of the best state hunts I’ve been on.

Re: Kerr Information [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7290235 09/18/18 04:04 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Cherokee Mingan
You bring your own portal blind and can feed. You have to setup within a few yards of your designated area. The staff drops you off and picks you up every hunt.
I thought Kerr was by compartment, or it was the 3 times I went. One of the compartments I hunted had a box blind on it, but being I was using my bow, I brought a couple of lock on stands. Seen a lot of deer and some good bucks.

Re: Kerr Information [Re: sqiggy] #7290255 09/18/18 04:21 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
You bring your own portal blind and can feed. You have to setup within a few yards of your designated area. The staff drops you off and picks you up every hunt.
I thought Kerr was by compartment, or it was the 3 times I went. One of the compartments I hunted had a box blind on it, but being I was using my bow, I brought a couple of lock on stands. Seen a lot of deer and some good bucks.

Yes, it basically is by compartment in a way but they have a marker that you have to stay in view of when setting up a blind. Your hunt areas are small in comparison to many other places.

Re: Kerr Information [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7290371 09/18/18 06:05 PM
L
LoneStarCarnivore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L

Yes, it basically is by compartment in a way but they have a marker that you have to stay in view of when setting up a blind. Your hunt areas are small in comparison to many other places.

They never said anything about staying in sight of a marker last year when we were there, but we did hunt out of one of their brand new box blinds and were successful.

Re: Kerr Information [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7290480 09/18/18 07:45 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

If the hunt is by compartment, then you can hunt anywhere inside that compartment. You also get to come and go as you please. Last time I was there, me, my dad & brother had over 800 acres in our compartment. Hunted anywhere we wanted inside that.
When did they change that up??

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide