Forums46
Topics538,511
Posts9,738,029
Members87,094
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: txshntr] #7216510 07/05/18 05:38 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
confused2
Originally Posted By: txshntr

We had a similar incident at our place. GW came out and asked them to move it and they did with no issue.

confused2

How close to the fence do your property rights go? popcorn

Just find it interesting that a HF proponent that lays the claim on property rights would argue against someone utilizing their entire property.

confused2

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: stxranchman] #7216512 07/05/18 05:41 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
confused2

We had a similar incident at our place. GW came out and asked them to move it and they did with no issue.

confused2

Just find it interesting that a HF proponent that lays the claim on property rights would argue against someone utilizing their entire property.

confused2

Selective editing!!

For the record, I don't hunt fence lines but don't care when the neighbors do. With a set up like in the OP, I would ask them to move it like we did with our neighbors.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: maximus_flavius] #7216513 07/05/18 05:41 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Originally Posted By: therancher
Probably over half the people on this forum support fence hunting. And most are the people who hate high fences.

That warms all my cockles.

For the record, I don't hunt fence lines but don't care when the neighbors do. With a set up like in the OP, I would ask them to move it like we did with our neighbors. Not move it off the fence, move it so they aren't shooting onto our property. I also don't care about high fences. Just find it interesting that a HF proponent that lays the claim on property rights would argue against someone utilizing their entire property.

Just because something is legal, don’t make it ethical.

A 60 yo man could date a 17 yo high school girl legally. He’d still be an unethical scumbag. He also shouldn’t be surprised when he gets his azz kicked (or shot) for doin it.

Point taken rofl

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: txshntr] #7216515 07/05/18 05:45 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
confused2

confused2

confused2

Selective editing!!

For the record, I don't hunt fence lines but don't care when the neighbors do. With a set up like in the OP, I would ask them to move it like we did with our neighbors.

Do as I say or do as I do? You had a problem with it and called the GW or you did not have a problem with and let the hunter keep his feeder where it was? You did not ask him to move but called the GW instead since you HAD a problem with his setup. If it was not bothering you would not have called the GW.
confused2

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: PMK] #7216537 07/05/18 06:25 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: PMK
set up a plywood fence in the direct path of any shooting lanes ... with the below text printed on each ...

Quote:
Restricted Methods
It is unlawful for any person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, to knowingly discharge a firearm in such a fashion as to cause a projectile to cross a property line, unless the person owns the property on both sides of the property line or has obtained written permission from the owner of any land crossed by the projectile.

This. And hang as many and as large mirrors on it as possible. Lots of mirrors.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216540 07/05/18 06:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If you decide to leave them a note, be sure to remind any deer they shoot that makes it onto your land becomes your property and no one can force you to give it up.

Any shot taken at a deer that is likely to result in it becoming unrecoverable in not an ethical shot.

IMO, fence hunting is akin to the problems that led to the demise of using dogs to chase deer. That is, disrespect of landowners by other hunters. In both cases, it leads to an unrecoverable deer ending up on land the hunter doesn't own.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/05/18 06:50 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: stxranchman] #7216554 07/05/18 06:52 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Do as I say or do as I do? You had a problem with it and called the GW or you did not have a problem with and let the hunter keep his feeder where it was? You did not ask him to move but called the GW instead since you HAD a problem with his setup. If it was not bothering you would not have called the GW.
confused2

Do as you please lol. We asked them to move the way it was set up, not to move it off the fence

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: txshntr] #7216565 07/05/18 07:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

confused2

Do as you please lol. We asked them to move the way it was set up, not to move it off the fence

You should have became an attorney... grin Twist and turn and redirect and ...and...and...in the end you still had a problem with it since you called the GW....it is okay to admit it. grin

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216568 07/05/18 07:12 PM
Y
YellowDog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
With Plywood. The first windy day in West Texas and you would be replacing fence.

Born to Hunt/Fish
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216578 07/05/18 07:26 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
agree, that set up as it is shown in the pictures by OP are highly likely for the bullet to cross the property line with animal around that feeder. It would be much safer for all parties to move the stand to the fence line so they weren't shooting towards but in parallel to the fence line if that is their preferred hunting area.

Also have to be cautious on relocating your gut pile, mirrors, etc. as a deterrent as it could be deemed as harassment. I wonder if Liquid Fence on your side of the fence could be detected by humans loser8

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216579 07/05/18 07:31 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
What ever happened to if you had a problem, walking up and talking with them. All these people saying call the law, and suggesting ways to get “even”.
In most cases if you presented it the right way, the problem would probably get resolved. And you might even make a friend out of the deal. You can never have too many hunting buddies. Especially in rural areas where help could be quite a ways away. Like someone else mentioned, it’s probably an inexperienced hunter who doesn’t know any better.
If that doesn’t work then you use other measures.

Last edited by Merican Duck Hunter; 07/05/18 07:33 PM.

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216593 07/05/18 08:10 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I seriously doubt a hunter on two sections is that clueless. Unethical, yes.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216609 07/05/18 08:38 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Have a chat, and don't be a Richard. Let them know you are concerned that any shot taken from that stand, even if they hit the deer, will travel across the fence. Still a pain, but even moving the blind to an spot where the angle is along the fence is preferable to this location.

Second point, and I think stated above, unless the shot taken results in DRT, any deer shot from that location is very likely to jump the fence onto your property. That creates an entirely new problem - trespassing, especially if deer shot at a time when you are not around.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216632 07/05/18 09:22 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Put some manikins on the fence line with balloons tied to them

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216637 07/05/18 09:31 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I fully realize that you're supposed to love thy neighbor. But, in my experience, you rarely come out ahead talking to one about something you need or want. And a neighbor's hunters, ones that have already demonstrated they're inconsiderate idiots? Don't waste your time.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here [Re: Creekrunner] #7216639 07/05/18 09:36 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I fully realize that you're supposed to love thy neighbor. But, in my experience, you rarely come out ahead talking to one about something you need or want. And a neighbor's hunters, ones that have already demonstrated they're inconsiderate idiots? Don't waste your time.

Agreed. The fact that someone has created such a setup says a lot about their hunting attitudes and ethics. Their actions have already made a clear statement in the opening of a potential conversation.

Don't overlook the fact that it may be a hunter who is leasing the property and not the landowner who might not be aware of the hunter's actions. An honest and ethical landowner doesn't want to create conflict with his neighbors. I remember our relationship with a landowner resulted in a hunter being dropped from his lease when we discovered he had gone a mile through public land to put a stand next to our fence. While his actions were completely legal, it didn't fare well with the landowner that he had a guy hunting his place that was so eager and focused on hunting fence lines, even when they weren't his. It turned out every stand the guy had put up was on a fence line.

Of course I could be wrong, but I'm of the opinion you see this type of thing more often when it's not the landowner but some guy leasing the place that wants to milk every square foot of it to kill deer.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/05/18 10:04 PM.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216680 07/05/18 10:26 PM
270Sendero Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Hwy man, is this a deer lease or is it the property owner that put the stand there. If it’s a lease, the owner may not know about it. We told our lease owner about a similar situation and the problem was solved when our owner called his neighbor. The stand was gone the next weekend

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216689 07/05/18 10:35 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I have a situation just like that at a corner boundary that is over a big hill/small mountain from an area I hunt on my lease. They also used the boundary fence as one side of their feeder pen. But it is a huge feeder pen to the point it looks like they may have tried putting in a small food plot with it that failed. I could tell it even throws feed on our side of the fence. The stand at this one is permanent, I don't think they could easily move it because for a stand they put in a tiny cabin with a foundation and windows facing the feeder. Shots from stand to feeder would have to cross the fence, but at least the terrain rises on our side so bullets are not going very far into our property.

When I first noticed it, I was actually looking for what I thought was a poacher because I had been hearing shots that sounded as if within a corner of our lease. That area I had set aside as a sanctuary so the neighbor had been able to that boundary fence a full season before we noticed it and maybe longer than that. I was only upset for about 5 minutes.

I studied the game trails leading to the feeder from within our lease and noticed most game going to his feeder was coming from within our sanctuary area. I Found a high point little hill about 200 yards into our lease from the feeder that was a vantage point over the most well used trails as well as bedding areas, but also out of site of the neighbor's stand and feeder because of terrain and trees. Then on that high point I built up a crows nest style open blind of piled logs and brush and placed a metal chair in it.

From the shots I heard last season, they only hunt it weekends, we only hunt it weekdays. Stand is simple, feeder is free, no maintenance, and no feed cost. I don't want them to move it now. Next season opening weekend just for grins I am going to put a plotwatcher hidden on our side covering the area near the feeder along both sides of the fence to see who, where, and what they shoot.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here [Re: 270Sendero] #7216818 07/06/18 01:27 AM
HWY_MAN Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 270Sendero
Hwy man, is this a deer lease or is it the property owner that put the stand there. If it’s a lease, the owner may not know about it. We told our lease owner about a similar situation and the problem was solved when our owner called his neighbor. The stand was gone the next weekend

This is an estate with multiple family members handled by a local bank from what I know.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216828 07/06/18 01:38 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

This is an estate with multiple family members handled by a local bank from what I know.

Visit the local tax office to see who's paying the property taxes. That will lead you to the true owner(s).

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here [Re: stxranchman] #7216878 07/06/18 02:53 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

confused2

You should have became an attorney... grin Twist and turn and redirect and ...and...and...in the end you still had a problem with it since you called the GW....it is okay to admit it. grin

Take it back or we can no longer be friends!!!! rofl

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here [Re: txshntr] #7216889 07/06/18 03:12 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

confused2

Take it back or we can no longer be friends!!!! rofl

grin

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216959 07/06/18 10:34 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Everyone has an opinion , I guess I do to. I would start by leaving a note in a baggie taped to the fence explaining the situation with my phone # and contact info. Figure out an option that you can agree on and may become friends. If it doesn't work out you can go to option #2 and get someone else involved. They may just be ignorant, first lease, new hunter etc...

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: I'm going to put a blind right here [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216991 07/06/18 11:52 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I think a lot of times the fenceline hunting argument is overplayed on here, especially when feeders are clearly set up 100-200 yards into the adjacent property, but that setup is definitely a dangerous and counterproductive situation. I would first attempt to have a direct, civil discussion about it.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here [Re: HWY_MAN] #7216998 07/06/18 12:16 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Sorry to hear that, and could explain a lot.
Probably a free for all where multiple friends and multiple relatives know the situation, so it's probably a pretty crowded ranch.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide