Print Thread
concealed handgun #71708 06/26/06 01:41 AM
S
sfabass Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
i am looking to buy a concealed handgun. i want something small that i can carry around. also dont want to spend an extreme amount. what would yall suggest for reliability and functionality?

Re: concealed handgun [Re: sfabass] #71709 06/26/06 02:49 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Revolver or semi??????? the smaller revolvers are now hammerless. The semi auto has a variety of handguns, as well as price range. Depends on what your going with.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: concealed handgun [Re: sfabass] #71710 06/26/06 12:08 PM
B
boliverpete Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If you're on a tight budget like myself, and can only afford one pistol, I recomend something you enjoy shooting that wont break your wallet when you have to buy ammo. I had a S&W airlite .38 revolver when I got my conceal and carry. It was easy to conceal, but when my buddies wanted to go the range and shoot, that airlite felt like someone was pounding on my hand with a hammer. No fun at all. I sold it and bought a Glock 26 9mm. I could still conceal it, and it was a joy to shoot. Wasn't very accurate, but glock owners tell me "I was the problem not the gun." IF YOU BUY A GUN YOU REALLY ENJOY SHOOTING, YOU'LL PRACTICE WITH IT MORE and you'll want to. I sold it not too long ago and wish I had another one. Ammo was cheap to buy as well. My brother went and bought a full size .40 caliber. I told him, if he can only afford one gun, why by that one??? It's too big to conceal, not big enough to really hunt with, the ammo is twice as expensive as a 9mm and all he can do with it is shoot paper targets. After he had if for about a year and never shot it, he took it back to Cabelas and got his money back and bought a Tika .270. Can't conceal it but within the first couple of months since he bought it, he's got 5 deer with it. It was good trade off if you ask him.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: sfabass] #71711 06/26/06 12:57 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you truly looking for weapon you can really conceal, your options are limited, since most stick out like a sore thumb. My personal handgun is a Beretta Tom-Cat in 32. It's had the sights completely removed, deburred and rounded. The safety has been completely disabled and the pistol converted to double action only. Had a friend make some extra thin custom grips. Slides in and out of a pocket like butter, without giving away it's presence. Kel-Tec makes one of the smallest, thinnest auto's I've ever seen. It's chambered in 380, and has had some encouraging reports on it's reliability and durability. I've never seen a revolver, 38 or larger, that i would consider truly concealable.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: concealed handgun [Re: sfabass] #71712 06/26/06 03:49 PM
D
dwoftx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
The smallest, most conceilable 9mm that I know of is the Kahr MK9. I sold the Glock 26 I had because it was too wide with a double stack to conceal easily. The Glock also had more muzzle flip. I now have less ammo(which does make it lighter) but the gun shoots so well that I feel a well placed shot is much more important than quanity. The Kahr is a quality weapon and even with a stainless frame and steel slide it is light and very concealable. It is what I would call priced mid range. If you really find weight an issue, they make it in a polymer frame also. They keep the barrel low in the frame which keeps the muzzle flip minimal for a gun not much bigger than a .25 auto. This gun was built to fire +p ammo also.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: dwoftx] #71713 06/26/06 07:06 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
be realistic in your choice for conceled carry. most guns that are advertised for conceled carry are not chambered for really powerful rounds(save for snub nosed .357s, but the really peel your potato when fired). i picked up a springfield armory XD-40 and plan on using it as my conceled weapon. its a fairly good sized piece, but the piece of mind that comes with the .40 cal makes it worth it. plus, i like to shoot it, most conceled handguns are not accurate or kick too much.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: concealed handgun [Re: sfabass] #71714 06/26/06 07:47 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
I am not a fan of smaller cartridges, but don't let size of caliber (380/32, even 22) keep you from carrying. A small caliber like the tomcat mentioned above, or colt 380, or Sig 380 carried with you is better than a 44 mag at home or in the car, if you are actually going to carry it on you. I am a devout Sig fan, but have been known to carry a S&W ti framed 38 snubbie in places where the big gun would be obvious.

I'd much rather have the tomcat that a baseball bat....

Compromises usually hurt in this case.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #71715 06/26/06 09:47 PM
R
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Since we're on the subject of concealable handguns i.e. size, caliber and recoil, I'd like opinions about a couple of guns.
I don't have a concealed carry license and no plans to get one in the near future, just considering the possibility of a new gun that is handy for carrying while fishing,walking,plinking and if necessary self defense.

I am looking at/thinking about three guns; 1)Ruger SP101-.357 magnum-either 2 1/4 ir 3 inch barrel-fixed sights
2)S&W model 60- .357 3 inch barrel-adjustable sights
3)Taurus model 85-.38 2 inch fixed sights(although there is a 3 inch version in the Taurus catalog)

I haven't shot any of these, but wonder which would be best for plinking(.38s in the .357)and durability. I have owned and shot Rugers and they are heavy and generally well made. My experience with S&W model 60s goes back 30 years to a 3 inch Chief's Special that belonged to a friend. I could never hit anything with it(and I was a fair shot with everything else-just not the "3 inch chief").I have heard the model 60 won't handle a steady diet of .357s but that wouldn't be a problem.
I currently own a Taurus model 83 and it is a fine gun but I have read mixed reviews on Taurus model 85s.

I know I have rambled on and I did not plan to hijack this thread, but would like some feedback on the handling and accuracy and durability of these guns since they are all candidates(and apparently -capable, from all my research)for anyone considering concealed carry. There I have made my post relevant to the originally posted question.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: ralph] #71716 06/26/06 10:14 PM
S
SaginawHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I can tell you I had the taurus with the 2" ported barrel and it was one of the easiest shooting snub nose pistols I have ever owned. With 357's in it it had less recoil than any of the 38's I've owned. Another member on here has it now and I think he will back me up with what I say. He thought I was nuts when I bought it but he is a fan now also.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: SaginawHunter] #71717 06/26/06 10:35 PM
Lone Ranger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have the S&W Model 60 Chief's Special without sights for concealed carry and it is great! For concealed carry and close range, you don't need sights. They just make it more difficult to get out of your pants/holster, etc. The gun is very easy to shoot and not much recoil. You can also shoot 357 or 38 in it, which is an added bonus.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: Lone Ranger] #71718 06/26/06 10:37 PM
Lone Ranger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
My S&W 60 has the regular blade sight on front and notched sight on rear, it doesn't have adjustable sights.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: sfabass] #71719 06/26/06 11:37 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Just before I took my CHL course last April I purchased a 40 cal. Glock 22. It's a SAPD turn in and it is a very dependable and accurate handgun. I purchased a Lone Wolf Manufacturing 9MM conversion barrel for it for range practice since 9MM ammo is pretty cheap. If you carry a firearm you need to be proficient with it, and lots of practice is the key. Learning the trigger reset on a Glock is the key to accurate shooting and quick followup shots.

I can completely conceal the G22 inside the waistband in a Galco holster. At 6' and 235 pounds I can hide the G22 easily with an untucked T shirt.

I like to wear my shirts tucked and I liked the way the G22 was so easy to shoot and clean I bought a new G26 sub compact. It's a 9MM and can be hiden with a tucked in shirt.

I'm sold on the Glock. They are probably the most dependable combat pistol out there. They are accurate for the purpose they are designed for and that's close contact self defense.

The forty is also a good backup gun for when I go hog hunting. I don't feel undergunned carrying the Forty to back up my rifle should I come up on a wounded animal.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: concealed handgun [Re: Jimbo] #71720 06/27/06 03:42 AM
A
akidd13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I DONT HAVE A CHL. BUT PLAN TO GET ONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE. I HAVE A GLOCK 23. THE MID SIZE 40 CAL. I DID NOT KNOW IT AT THE TIME I PURCHASED IT, BUT SEVERAL PEOPLE I KNOW USE IT AS THERE CARRY GUN. AS FOR THE GUN I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH IT AND WOULDNT GET RID OF IT.

DONT EAT YELLOW SNOW....
Re: concealed handgun [Re: ralph] #71721 06/27/06 12:41 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
Smith and taurus are basically the same gun. Smith will hold resale value a little better. Taurus revolvers are fine too. The Ruger is a good gun but heavier/bulkier than the other two. For concealed carry, think about the 640/642 Smith's or the 85CH Taurus; or the lighter weight versions of the same. Less to snag on either one. I carried a SW 60 many, many miles in a boot holster in my younger days.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #71722 06/27/06 07:53 PM
R
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Sig226fan,
If I buy a small revolver, I would want to do a good bit of plinking/target shooting with it so I could become proficient in its use. My concern is how is the recoil with those smaller/lighter S&W and Tauruses?
I remember about 30 years ago, a buddy had one of the original airweight S&W .38s (13oz I think) and we could not control it(or hit anything) with regular .38 loads. Both of us were fair hands with full size .38/.357s but we just could not enjoy shooting that airweight(because it just plain hurt to shoot it) and he sold it shortly thereafter.

Are the current models any better?

I would like to think the current model 60 and the Ruger would be heavier and better able to shoot accurately.

As you are in the gun business, I am very interested in anything you have to say regarding these "small" revolvers.

Thanks again for all the information.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: SaginawHunter] #71723 06/27/06 10:25 PM
D
dwoftx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
As SaginawHunter said, If you are looking at a magnum handgun, go with PORTED. I now have a .44 magnum and a .357 magnum PORTED and love them both. I have arthritis in my wrists and they are a pleasure to shoot. My 6 1/2" .44 has the recoil of a 6" .357 and the 2" .357 Is less than a 6" .38.
These are both Taurus handguns and are very accurate. SaginawHunter made me a believer. I actually said something good about him. Wow!

Re: concealed handgun [Re: dwoftx] #71724 06/27/06 10:37 PM
S
SaginawHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
KMA Dav and you to Roy

Re: concealed handgun [Re: dwoftx] #71725 06/27/06 10:46 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I use the Desert Eagle, 44 Mag. No use for concealing, well cause you can't. Best advantage, it naturally clears out rooms, kinda like Dirty Harrys' 44 mag wheel gun Ok all seriousness. If you are near a shooting range try different guns. If you go with a semi or a small revolver, find someone who has one and try em. Some bigger ranges have guns for you to try out, at a small price. You will get all kinds of replies on here, but it's YOU that will be carrying the gun. I carry a Glock, in a 45. Why??? because I like as much thump hitting that @$$ when I pull the trigger. I am not much of a fan of smaller loads, even the 9mm, for self defense. Seen guys shot with it, and they lived to tell about it. My personal defense load would be the 40, in a semi. Has plenty of knock down and you can find it in just about any gun maker. In a revolver, the 38 would be my pick, as well as the 357 mag, if you can find a revolver that suits those needs, and they make quite a few. Most arms makers are now making revolvers with a "hammerless" type concealed hammer. This won't get caught on clothing ect. As far as method of concealment, a great choice is a "fanny pack". If you don't have qualms about wearing one, just unzip and gun is ready. Make sure you hit the top zipper, not the bottom one, as the other gun may pop out. Too many choices, and too many opions. Like I said try em, and see what you like.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: concealed handgun [Re: 7mag] #71726 06/28/06 01:43 AM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
I carry a Tarus titanium revolver in .44 spl. It is real lightweight and shoots real nice. easy to conceal. I wanted a 2" 44 mag, but couldn't find one. A buddy of mine carries the Glock 29 which is the compact 10 mm. I am going to get one of those to carry in the future. I have shot it a lot and really like it.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Square Up Archery & Lightning Bowstrings Staff Shooter
Re: concealed handgun [Re: HunterTed] #71727 06/28/06 11:44 AM
A
azcoyote Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I took my CHL class using my Sig P245. This is not a real small pistol, but is quite comfortable for a .45acp. In summer when less clothes mean it is harder to conceal, I reach for my stainless Sig P230 or the even smaller AMT Backup, both in .380. I am a large caliber fan and prefer the .45, but as the saying goes, "The first rule of a gunfight is to HAVE A GUN"!! A little Berretta .22 is better than nothing!

We are talking about self defense in it's basic and most desperate sense!! Not assaulting a fortified position. I will however always keep a more powerful, full size weapon in my vehicle!!

"It'a a sad man my freind who's living in his own skin and can't stand the company" Bruce Springsteen
Re: concealed handgun [Re: azcoyote] #71728 06/28/06 11:49 AM
J
JED Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
You don't have to go small to conceal a handgun. I carry a full size Glock 21 and as long as I don't tuck my shirt in I have no problem with concealing it. Even under a T-shirt I have no problems.

3rd Armored Division
B Co 5/18 Infantry
[Linked Image]

Re: concealed handgun [Re: JED] #71729 07/01/06 02:46 AM
B
Bullard Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I would recomend a ruger sp101. I had a ruger sp101 in 357 and really liked it...unfortunately I used it as a down payment on a rifle. They a reasonable and built to last. I regret getting rid of it and something tells me that there is another one in my future.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: sfabass] #71730 07/01/06 03:30 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
There has been LOT'S of changes since I last shopped for a carry piece in the late 70's/early '80's but I'd offer some overview from those days.
A "defense" gun means that you want a "bad guy STOPPER!" not necessarily a high capacity or double stack magazine for a running gun fight.
ANY DECENT Accuracy is sufficient at distances up to about 20-25 feet when shooting Center Mass...and I'll let the rest of these guys like JEH tell you how to do that.
Slab sided auto's with single stack mag's are easier to hide than any round cylinder revolver regardless of size.

My carry guns in the days before CHL's were available when I was carrying large sums of cash was a Colt LWT Commander in 45ACP, worn under a loose shirt in the small of my back in a inside the belt holster, and a S&W M60 2" in a leg holster on the inside of my left ankle. I still sleep with the Smith and have used it once to kill a rabid skunk that running at me with a running head shot at 17 feet. I used to use this pistol to hunt rabbits with in heavy cover and have some custome grips that were made to my hand form, and have had the trigger highly tuned to a DA 3lb SA 1.2lb release. The grips allow me to point and hit where I am looking without "sighting" the gun...it is an extension of my hand and just like pointing my finger with a hole appearing out to where the bullet trajectory begins to fall off. I also like to shoot either a +P 110gr JHP or a 148 gr wad cutter or 158 gr Semi Wadcutter for max knockdown power.

I never needed to draw either in self defense but once, and only when the 45 was unaccessible and the amateur early twenties twosome had ID'd the 45's presence and were continuing with their plan to rob me in broad daylight by seperating and approaching from two directions at the same time while talking to each other about it...and keyed on watching the 45 that they had seen outlined under my shirt as I was bent over loading my briefcase and money bag in the back seat of my two door Toyota and what I was going to do with it ...and failed to see the ankle gun come out until they were "encouraged" to leave at a high rate of haste... SURPRISE %$#@!@$%#!!!er's...at less than 10 feet ranges on either end of my Celica hatchback. THAT recognition look is Priceless and we all three got to go about our bidnizz with no damages or blood anywhere on a 10 am South Dallas sales call gone bad...but a Win-Win for everybody. The Pawn shop owner I had just collected several thousand bux from later told me that I was the talk of the neighborhood ...and the word spread not to jack with the crazy DA white guy that came by every tuesday morning in the white Celica to collect his bill... they understood what was at stake for them when they tried to take me and openly talked about it as they were setting up the rush to frighten me...and when I pulled the 2nd piece and came up cocked and ready what I was prepared to do to prevent it...and they agreed that they should not do that again...and I did not press the issue when I had the drop on them and let them walk away unharmed...as I did.

Another thought, courtesy of a Dallas undercover narc I used to know who always carried a concealed pistol or two if he had his pants on and God knows what else that was out of sight...use a big enough gun that is easily seen for two reasons...let the bad guy see the gun and understand you are armed...and use a big enough gun to put him down after he has seen it and disregards the gun and comes after you anyway. The narc liked bright high polished nickle Colt Airweights in a 38Spl shooting 200 grain RN lead that were capable of knocking someone down no matter where they were hit...just couldn't shoot them very far and they kicked pretty stout but were controllable in a 2" barreled Smith or Colt using two hands even for some small framed 100 lb women Airline Flight Attendants this one dealer taught to shoot. The apartment house they all lived in was a hunting ground for a rapist that worked the area for years.

Taurus - correction Charter Arms - used to make a 44Bulldog in a 3" barrel that the famous serial killer in New York City used , the "Son of Sam"...same idea - short barrel, heavy slow bullets, easy to conceal.
I sold 6 of these thru one of my dealers to a Dallas dentist for hide out guns in his office one time after he was robbed at gunpoint repeatedly by junkies during business hours looking for dope...one of his nurses used one of them and was NoBilled when she put a guy down that was trying to catch another office worker using a knife to hold as a hostage after the guns came out when he broke down the front door of the office after hours and did not realize anybody was there. Bang Flop. Saved Dallas County a bunch of money too.
Just some thoughts from the olden days in the 70's and early 80's ...that may still be pertinent or not...your mileage may vary but these concepts were valid then and I would think be valid today...and I've been giving the over 60 year old wife some refresher lessons on trigger discpline now that I am traveling some again. SSDD...nothing changes.
Ron

OBTW
Like I said at the beginning of this post ...this was in the days before there was such a thing as a CHL in the late 1970's and before I went to work as a firearms factory rep in late 1982...so be sure you check what the laws are today wherever you are. In those days it was legal for people to carry as long as the pistol was not openly displayed unless you were a registered in uniform security guard like Brinks or something and you were in a job related situation and carrying large sums of money or other valuables, as I was.
The reason a CHL is a better deal is that you are now completely legal and have been taught hopefully what the rules are...unlike in those days. Be safe, be careful...but be within the law and the law will be your friend.
RV

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 07/02/06 05:31 PM.
Re: concealed handgun [Re: WileyCoyote] #71731 07/02/06 02:45 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
Great post. Combat Commanders were great guns. I have a new Sig 1911 I am toying with, just hard to break 22 year habits like a P226...

Question......Taurus used to make a 44Bulldog ....

Bulldog is a Charter Arms copyrighted term, same concept, both great guns.

Re: concealed handgun [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #71732 07/02/06 03:46 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Vernon you are correct on the Charter Arms Bulldog 44Spl...old age is hell sometimes!

Wish'd I'd kept that Lwt Commander...maybe instead of the old pin barreled M60 thats lives under my pillow...but it served it's purpose when I asked the twosome amatuers "OK? who goes first 'cause I'm going to get one of you for sure...are you sure that its not your day to die" I convinced them that I was more prepared than they were and not bluffing not just with the hideout piece but with my acknowledging the sitation and was not reacting with a panicked fear like they had expected ...and they "blinked" because they really were amatuers and not pro's...pro's would have taken me down or tried harder and not given up so easily anyway.

The pregnant pause that followed is exactly what 'caused them to rethink the deal and walk away. Later in the day after they had done their normal days routine they may not have been quite that alert to the realities of the world...but I was and that is the other half of the deal...getting your own mind set where it needs to be when things out of your control go down. Are you going to survive? ...or are you going to let the the other guy survive? ...or is there a way for everybody to survive? That day and in that instance we all came to an unspoken agreement that we all could survive 'cause nobody wanted to take that last step because I was more prepared than they were when they had the advantage on me tactically.

Maybe the most important idea I can convey to you or anyone else about the idea of having a CHL and carrying a firearm is: "If you can't get your mind right with no hesitation when or if the time comes to use it in the self defense of yours or someone else's life ...then don't carry a firearm"...thats the bottom line...or you will wind up having it used on you or someone else while you decide. JMHO
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 07/02/06 04:25 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide