Print Thread
Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" #712123 05/07/09 07:13 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
Its been a while since hunting season, so its been a while since someone shot a duck then asked the question "what is this?"

Since everyone enjoys playing this game, i figured i will deal the cards...

Check out the redhead looking thing in the middle with all the white on its head. Its bigger than the other redheads too. And came in as a single. Really strange, we counted it as part of our redhead bag, but it had me baffled.

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: ishootspoonies] #712124 05/07/09 07:47 AM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I dunno, but that haul sure is making me salivate! Yummy yummy...redheads, and buffleheads.

But seriously in that pic is hard to tell, would a widgeon ever cross with a diver?

Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: cable] #712125 05/07/09 08:03 AM
C
cannon88 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I would just say it's a badly colored red. The bill is the give away to me. Hmmmmm....

texas
Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: ishootspoonies] #712126 05/07/09 08:50 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Either a junvenile or non-plummed out bird. I have harvested them with some white but never that much. I am still looking for a really good one to put on the wall.

Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: Gdogg] #712127 05/07/09 09:10 PM
I
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
And now for the twist in the story... This bird was feeding in the bay about 200 yards from us. It stayed there all morning, even while we were shooting. We actually thought it was a decoy. One of the guys went over to pick it up, and it flew off. It flew the 200 yards into our decoy spread and got dumped.

Original thought was a widgeon cross because of the coloring. Then maybe a park duck cross because it was retarded, then concluded it was probably just a stupid redhead. That's why we didn't take any better pics of it.

Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: ishootspoonies] #712128 05/07/09 10:14 PM
B
BirdWorks Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
My vote is for (piebald) Leucistic plummage on the Redhead. Did you happen to see any white or lite colored feathers anywhere else on the bird?

Overheard at my last convention: "If you wanna make a million bucks in taxidermy, start out with 2 million and in 5 years, if you're lucky, you'll have a million left."
Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: BirdWorks] #712129 05/07/09 10:55 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
This is way to easy............. What kind of duck is it; DEAD DUCK!
What do I win????

Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: TexasHeat] #712130 05/07/09 11:27 PM
I
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
birdworks, yes, it had white feathers scattered all over its body.

texasheat, you win nothing. thats the great thing about this game. nobody wins anything.

Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: BirdWorks] #712131 05/07/09 11:45 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Quote:

My vote is for (piebald) Leucistic plummage on the Redhead. Did you happen to see any white or lite colored feathers anywhere else on the bird?

Birdworks, Can you explain more about Leucistic plummage? Is that some type of mutation?

Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: cable] #712132 05/08/09 12:05 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Quote:

But seriously in that pic is hard to tell, would a widgeon ever cross with a diver?

not a self respecting widgeon

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: Gdogg] #712133 05/08/09 12:19 AM
B
BirdWorks Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
[quote[Birdworks, Can you explain more about Leucistic plummage? Is that some type of mutation?

Color in birds is produced in two ways. These include pigments (a substance that creates color) or the physical structure of the feathers.

The two main types of pigments – the melanins and lipochromes – produce the various blacks and browns through reds, yellows, greens and violets. There are no blue pigments in feathers. Blues and iridescent colors are the result of fine feather structure in combination with other pigments. A bird’s coloration helps in concealment, recognition, courtship and other social activities.

Sometimes minor plumage color variations occur because of a genetic mutation within the species. One such color variance is a genetic variation known as leucism, also known as partial albinism.

Animals with leucism have reduced pigmentation in their bodies. In waterfowl, leucism most often affects plumage, bill and foot color. Color variation can occur on part or all of the bird and typically happens on both sides of the body. Leucism either is inherited or comes from genetic mutations that occur during development.

Hope this helps.

Overheard at my last convention: "If you wanna make a million bucks in taxidermy, start out with 2 million and in 5 years, if you're lucky, you'll have a million left."
Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: Gdogg] #712134 05/08/09 12:23 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

Birdworks, Can you explain more about Leucistic plummage? Is that some type of mutation?

I would like to chim in and break some knowledge off, if you dont ming that it

Leucistic plummage is a mutation that occurs to people that cheer for UT too long, you should burn that degree and and throw out all your burnt orange

buy you some red and black

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: BirdWorks] #712135 05/08/09 01:03 AM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Quote:

[quote[Birdworks, Can you explain more about Leucistic plummage? Is that some type of mutation?

Color in birds is produced in two ways. These include pigments (a substance that creates color) or the physical structure of the feathers.

The two main types of pigments – the melanins and lipochromes – produce the various blacks and browns through reds, yellows, greens and violets. There are no blue pigments in feathers. Blues and iridescent colors are the result of fine feather structure in combination with other pigments. A bird’s coloration helps in concealment, recognition, courtship and other social activities.

Sometimes minor plumage color variations occur because of a genetic mutation within the species. One such color variance is a genetic variation known as leucism, also known as partial albinism.

Animals with leucism have reduced pigmentation in their bodies. In waterfowl, leucism most often affects plumage, bill and foot color. Color variation can occur on part or all of the bird and typically happens on both sides of the body. Leucism either is inherited or comes from genetic mutations that occur during development.

Hope this helps.

Yes sir. I don't think you could have explained it any better.

By the way, are those albino ducks at the city park?

Thanks for the clarification.

Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: garrett] #712136 05/08/09 01:08 AM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would like to chim in and break some knowledge off, if you dont ming that it

Leucistic plummage is a mutation that occurs to people that cheer for UT too long, you should burn that degree and and throw out all your burnt orange

buy you some red and black

Dude, are we going to start all ready?

Re: Lets play "what kind of duck is this?" [Re: TreeBass] #712137 05/08/09 04:25 AM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Quote:

Quote:

not a self respecting widgeon

Good point, widgeons way too classy to risk contracting the avian flu from some dirty old red-headed tramp.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide