Forums46
Topics538,179
Posts9,733,907
Members87,071
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: pervis] #7024395 01/04/18 03:17 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: pervis
He was smart enough to stop, and leave. We set up 200 yrds from this nut job, and didn't fire in their direction. All in all it wasn't worth it. My kid asked me why he was so mad, and why he was yelling at us? We wound up not firing a single shot, the other Hunter got 2 birds and that was it. I'm all for sharing a spot, I'm all for being cuerteous, I'm all for hunting with children, knowing not to be close. Etc

New to this duck thing this year but is 200 yards far enough away on public land? I would say thats pretty dang close to set up to someone but Im guessing the duck community says its fine?

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024454 01/04/18 03:55 PM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Obviously your not hunting in the metromess. Lol. It all depends on where the spot is your going to, what will be safe distances, and not firing in the direction of other hunters. 200 yrds is a good distance on public. Your lucky at some places if guys don't sit 50 yrds away. It all depends on where your hunting as to what you and others think is safe.

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024468 01/04/18 04:04 PM
M
mdryg1970 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I have had a guy set up within 150 yards from me in line with my decoys and downwind. He just said he would be fine, just don't shoot my dog. I hate public hunting most of the time but don't have much of a choice if I want to hunt.

"Hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."
Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024486 01/04/18 04:13 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
they should plot lake grapevine with spots to hunt and draw a number every morning on who hunts where. done.
its so disorganized, wait, its not even organized

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024499 01/04/18 04:18 PM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Yeah we set up no where near this guy. He was in the middle of a cove w his decoys on the main lake and we were way back and to the right in a slew on a day with absolute zero wind. I've had good luck w my public hunting, I've truly only had 2 real run ins w guys who wanted to blow their lids. This was this yr. I take public hunting for what it is.

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024507 01/04/18 04:21 PM
Napa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Even pond hunting outside of the metromess, I rarely have a hunt where I don't hear distant gunfire before LST

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: Napa] #7024515 01/04/18 04:24 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Napa
Even pond hunting outside of the metromess, I rarely have a hunt where I don't hear distant gunfire before LST

especially on blue sky days like the next two mornings bang

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: pervis] #7024516 01/04/18 04:25 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: pervis
Obviously your not hunting in the metromess. Lol. It all depends on where the spot is your going to, what will be safe distances, and not firing in the direction of other hunters. 200 yrds is a good distance on public. Your lucky at some places if guys don't sit 50 yrds away. It all depends on where your hunting as to what you and others think is safe.

I hunt a dfw public lake and walk in 3 times a week. Never had anyone set up that close the entire season. But this is my first year so have not seen a lot yet.

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024530 01/04/18 04:29 PM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Yeah you 'll always hear it, when it's way early like 15 mins or more, that's when it 'll upset you. I always follow the rules as much as I can. I hunt w my son who's 6 and teach him the same. If I hunt w another person or group I always make sure we wait till legal to shoot.

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024532 01/04/18 04:30 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I looked into hunting there several years back. After looking at maps and seeing the limited space, I figured that combined with its proximity to DFW that it would be a zoo. The creek is pretty cool tho.

There is another close by lake that I used to hunt... 5+ years ago, but after a few similar encounters and the encroachment I'm out. The straw that broke the camel's back was the guy that came in AT LST (not before), literally walked through my dekes with no calls or decoys, and setup 50-75 yards downwind. I didn't know how close he was until he skyblasted a 75 yard shot at some cupped up mallards I was working into my spread or I would have told him he was not a safe distance. After yelling some things I'm not proud of he left without a word.

Too many topwaters and life is too short to mess with em for maybe a flight of teal and a marina mallard or two.

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024598 01/04/18 05:04 PM
OHanlon87 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I’ve hunted the Vine for years and have actually been impressed with the quality of hunters on the Lake. Yes there are newbies now and then that shoot a little early and may not know the etiquette on distance from others, but over the years I’ve met some quality guys and girls while hunting and scouting. A lot of folks bring their kids out to hunt as it’s convenient to nearby burbs and I think that’s great. We r there to teach and pass on knowledge of this great sport and a lot is learned by watching others. Keep it legal, keep it safe and keep it fun.

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024660 01/04/18 05:47 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Not a single shot fired there this am

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024670 01/04/18 05:53 PM
T
texas mallard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I always assumed the early shooters forgot to check the current day's sunrise time. If you go out in early December, LST may be 6:45 but by late December and early January, LST has moved to 7:00. Crazy how the earth doesn't stand still laugh

Fear God. Love your neighbor. And shoot ducks.-Phil Robertson
Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7024711 01/04/18 06:22 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
At 6:53, a gentleman drove up to the edge of the lake, dropped a kayak, parked his truck 15 yards away and mostly exposed when there were two or three better options to park it where it would’ve been hidden, and then proceeded to scrape and claw his way across 20 yards of pretty serious ice in his kayak. Oh, and by the time he found a place he could get ashore, it was legal and he was only about 150 yards from me and right in the way if birds came in from that direction.

Keep in mind, legal shooting time was 7:04 today. And, on his way out, he kayaked back to the shore, after standing on his shoreline where he hunted for ten minutes, right as the last group of birds we saw were giving our spread a look. Then he took more than 10 minutes to load up and organize all of his crap in his truck. Out in the open and in view of our blind.

And that’s not even the craziest thing I’ve seen this year.

I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7025018 01/04/18 09:59 PM
B
BDB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
"After yelling some things I'm not proud of he left without a word."

I would have strutted like a rooster in a breeding pen. Guys like that deserve it.

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7025051 01/04/18 10:19 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Early bird gets the worm.

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7025163 01/04/18 11:29 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
At 6:53, a gentleman drove up to the edge of the lake, dropped a kayak, parked his truck 15 yards away and mostly exposed when there were two or three better options to park it where it would’ve been hidden, and then proceeded to scrape and claw his way across 20 yards of pretty serious ice in his kayak. Oh, and by the time he found a place he could get ashore, it was legal and he was only about 150 yards from me and right in the way if birds came in from that direction.

Keep in mind, legal shooting time was 7:04 today. And, on his way out, he kayaked back to the shore, after standing on his shoreline where he hunted for ten minutes, right as the last group of birds we saw were giving our spread a look. Then he took more than 10 minutes to load up and organize all of his crap in his truck. Out in the open and in view of our blind.

That wasn't me but I do drive a kayak. It has always bothered me when I leave before others and have to paddle past. I try to keep far away but you can only go so fast. We try to wait out hunters but sometimes that's not an options. Last Friday there was a floating blind at the opening to our slew (actually an old oxbow that is now fully flooded). There were no birds flying but we would either have had to paddle way around him and be out in the open longer or skate closer by and get out of the way faster. I guess it is a trade-off and I expect faster is more appreciated than farther away.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: Texas buckeye] #7025199 01/04/18 11:51 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Originally Posted By: bentman
It's not that big of a deal

So poaching a federally controlled animal is not a big deal?

surely you are joking confused2

It’s not a big deal at all to me. I mind my own business until it’s time not to, and don’t give a damn when anyone else starts shooting as long as they’re not shooting at me.

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7026037 01/05/18 03:56 PM
M
mdryg1970 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Not sure how any ethical hunter wouldn't be bothered by another hunter in the area where you hunt taking game illegally but that's just me. confused

"Hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."
Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: jnd59] #7026086 01/05/18 04:21 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: jnd59
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

That wasn't me but I do drive a kayak. It has always bothered me when I leave before others and have to paddle past. I try to keep far away but you can only go so fast. We try to wait out hunters but sometimes that's not an options. Last Friday there was a floating blind at the opening to our slew (actually an old oxbow that is now fully flooded). There were no birds flying but we would either have had to paddle way around him and be out in the open longer or skate closer by and get out of the way faster. I guess it is a trade-off and I expect faster is more appreciated than farther away.

I get it and that wasn’t my issue. Hunters pickup and leave at different times everyday. It’s unavoidbale. I’ve been picking up when birds are working with hunters nearby, so I just stand as still as possible and try to let the other hunters work their birds and get a shot.

This guy’s entire body of work yesterday was incredible, not just the paddling past us as he left. Honestly, once he got to the shore was much worse. The paddling to it was more unlucky for us, because he didn’t know we were going to try to scare some birds off the water and take them.

He took forever to get everything loaded up. It would’ve been nice if he had thrown everything in his truck and moved up the road a little to get everything settled so he wasn’t just out in the open while he took his waders off, took the seat off his yak, strapped everything down, etc. There was no urgency at all, is what I’m saying.

And that isn’t counting all of the time he was moving around picking up before he got back to his truck, where he took his sweet time with that. Or that he literally paddled over twenty yards of ice 11 minutes before legal shooting time and then found a spot and paddled over another twenty yards of ice.

It’s a small and very popular lake and I am used to this stuff. It was probably top five craziest/most annoying thing I’ve dealt with this year.

It’s part of the game.

I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7026150 01/05/18 05:09 PM
T
Triple7 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I hear it everytime I hunt. Usually 5 mins or so.
I can't tell you how many ducks (teals) I have watched fly away with 2 mins till LST. Drives me crazy

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7027490 01/06/18 10:45 PM
M
mnsherick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I shot at 7:08 all by myself and I thought I was the first to shoot.

confused2

you sure it was WED 1/3???

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7027521 01/06/18 11:18 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Heard what sounded like about 20 guns from one spot sound off at 5 till this morning...

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7027524 01/06/18 11:21 PM
M
Moe #2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Playing devils advocate here. Probably get yelled at. How many guys here saying they don't break the law or bend it went over the posted speed limit by a couple miles per hour just getting to the lake. Being honest 5 to 4 minutes before shooting time is going to be the last time I check my watch being it's not kept on my arm. After that it's a little guessing. I know when way to early but a couple of minutes I could be off. But I always check sunrise on phone app before going. With that being cloudy days I can't really see until 5 to 10 min after either. grin scared

Re: To the dude shooting at 6:47 am (15 min before legal) on lake grapevine this am [Re: beaversnipe] #7027543 01/06/18 11:42 PM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I don't even know what to say

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide