Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Unwanted visitors passing thru #700030 04/29/09 07:16 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Anybody ever have a problem with "non-US-citizens" on their ranch/lease. Had a neighbor catch some on game cam a few months ago leaving my land, and this weekend we heard them at one of my water tanks at about 10pm. I had a generator going and they were about 100 yards through the woods, but you could clearly hear them talking. Thought they would avoid the area knowing we were there.

I leave water out hoping they will leave stuff alone, and nothing has ever been damaged or stolen, but having them pretty much walk up on us in camp this past weekend gets me to thinkin about it a little different. Don't want my place to become a regular stopover point for the journey north, and I am not 100% sure whats in those big packs those guys in the pic were carrying, if you get my drift....

Talked to the a deputy sheriff several months back, and he wanted to know about stuff like that, but what can they do out in that country? Its not exactly on the beaten path.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Scoop] #700031 04/29/09 07:20 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
I would do something to scare the hell out of them. I hate that crap.

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Scoop] #700032 04/29/09 07:20 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
they were probably carrying a chit ton of tortillas, and other food such as that along with a few clothes. they usually wont bother things, nor do they like to steal anything but food. My uncles ranch ahd them regularly going through that rough country, idk how they can take it. but anyway, they had there kitchen seperate and keep it unlocked with signs all over the camp saying that the food is kept in the kitchen and that there isnt any in the house. theyve had a few things missing like loaves of bread and lil stuff like that, they never took the stuff like steaks and all that. one day they had a buncha border patrol running around the place with a chopper and everything, uncle went to talk to em and they said that they lost the aliens, but they had the chpper looking for thier guys that got lost out there on that ranch lol!!

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Closed Traverse] #700033 04/29/09 07:27 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I saw my first ones in the wild on my friend's place when I went to Rocksprings at the end of March. They crossed the shooting lane @ 215 yards.

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: rifleman] #700034 04/29/09 07:29 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
i think if i ever have em cross my lane like that im gonna open fire, not at them due to liability reasons, but just to watch them scramble lol!!!

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Inky Doc] #700035 04/29/09 07:30 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

I would do something to scare the hell out of them. I hate that crap.

I did make a lot of noise, and drive that way in the old Ford deisel, and lock up everything that night, but didn't want to go all Rambo on them or anything. I just don't like them on my property, especially not at one of the main wildlife water holes, keeping game off of it.

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: rifleman] #700036 04/29/09 07:31 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

I saw my first ones in the wild on my friend's place when I went to Rocksprings at the end of March. They crossed the shooting lane @ 215 yards.

I'm about 40 miles south of there...

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Closed Traverse] #700037 04/29/09 07:32 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Quote:

i think if i ever have em cross my lane like that im gonna open fire, not at them due to liability reasons, but just to watch them scramble lol!!!

lol, the hoyt would have scared the mess out of them at that range.

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Scoop] #700038 04/29/09 07:32 AM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
That is a bad situation. I would call the Border Patrol to see if they can help.

What ever you do don't try to confront them in the dark, you never know who or what type of people they might be. You don't want to shoot a guy trying to feed his family, or get shot by some drug runner.

Call the PoPo for sure.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Closed Traverse] #700039 04/29/09 07:38 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

they were probably carrying a chit ton of tortillas, and other food such as that along with a few clothes.

Funny you should mention that. I have a big hog trap right by there that I usually throw food scraps in, and there's usually some tortillas in there that are past their prime. I thought it odd that this weekend every tortilla was gone in the morning, but the white bread and all the other scraps were un-touched. Figured it was really selective raccoons, but maybe my 'guests' were doing some ranch style 'dumpster diving'....

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Scoop] #700040 04/29/09 07:44 AM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
U. S. Border Patrol is who I deal with when I have a problem. I have had them break in to my house at the ranch in Crystal City about 5 times in 17 or so years. All they ever took was canned food, bottled water and beer. They never touch my Jim Beam or J&B Scotch.

You can see where they had a small pachanga, where they made a small fire and ate and drank the goods, and left a pile of empty cans.

I haven't been broken into since 9/11 but you still see them in the area but not near as much as in the past.

I called the BP and they sent some officers out for me to show them where they were waiting to be picked up. This area had a lot of trash left there. Shoes, boots, clothes,backpacks, water bottles and the like.

They caught a few bunches there, and I guess they have found a different place to be picked up, cause we dont see that many anymore. All the trash is gone, I cleared that corner out with a dozer.

I have had them run through my fence in a truck while the BP was chasing them, and ended up with a free truck out of the deal, that I still have on the ranch, and it runs too. 1994 chevy 2500

But I think the ones that are comeing across now, are comeing for different reasons than to find work

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Rwuensch] #700041 04/29/09 07:45 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

That is a bad situation. I would call the Border Patrol to see if they can help.

What ever you do don't try to confront them in the dark, you never know who or what type of people they might be. You don't want to shoot a guy trying to feed his family, or get shot by some drug runner.

Call the PoPo for sure.

I'm right there with ya.... just wish there was someting I could do short of shutting off the H2O that would discourage them from stopping by. Don't think a confrontation is gonna make things better. Old story, but only a few miles from me is the little ranch where several years ago some land owners tried to 'detain' some squatters who had taken up residence in their cabin. Ended up shooting one in the leg, and he bled out. That did not go well for them.

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Scoop] #700042 04/29/09 07:51 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Change your No Trespassing sign to something similar to

¡Todos Intrusos serán disparados!

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: moderno] #700043 04/29/09 07:55 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

I called the BP and they sent some officers out for me to show them where they were waiting to be picked up. This area had a lot of trash left there. Shoes, boots, clothes,backpacks, water bottles and the like.

They caught a few bunches there, and I guess they have found a different place to be picked up, cause we dont see that many anymore. All the trash is gone, I cleared that corner out with a dozer.

Never thought of them hiking to a pick up point, but it makes sense. INS patrols the Hwy 674 from Brackett up to the Edwards County line really heavy cuz its used to bypass the checkpoint on Hwy 90. My place is a few miles off the main drag, with heavy cover, and a series of old gravel roads. It would be 20+ miles of rough hiking, but you could get through on foot where the roads are covered 24/7, and get picked up past the main area of INS traffic stops.

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: rifleman] #700044 04/29/09 08:08 AM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Shooting just to scare them might be a bad idea. There have been sightings of a line of them walking with backpacks on and the leader had what appeaed to be a AR 15 slung over his shoulder.

Most of the time they are being led by someone that knows just where he is going. It aint his first time, so he knows what is ahead, and probablly very much aware of whats around.

I have had a few walk up on me while I was running a dozer, they just wanted to know how far it was to Crystal City and they asked if I would give them a drink of water, which I did. They also wanted to know if I had some work for them. They were just young boys around 15 or so.

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: moderno] #700045 04/29/09 08:25 AM
T
texascowboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
went out with a friend of mine and we were talking about this same thing the other day, him and his other buddie were out doing some hunting and just about the time they got ready to leave they ran into about 15 of 'em : said at first he didn't know what to do but , the "others" just looked all freaked out and just kept on walking and never looked back. His buddy just kinda of laughed and said he see's them all the time. Here is my ???? { kind of different thing..almost} with all the problems right now like the "swine flu" thing going on and all the other diaises coming from over ther why doesn't goverment step up and do more?? I'm all for everyone making an honest living but, what is it gonna take for them to do something??

sorry for the rant just a little upset and watching the news does not help.

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: texascowboy] #700046 04/29/09 08:37 AM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

and its only gonna get worse. I heard on the news tonight Mexico was loosing 50 million a day from lost revenue from all the cafes and eating places that the government has shut down cause of the pig-flu deal down there

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: moderno] #700047 04/29/09 08:48 AM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
watch out for the swine flu lol dont let them near your water supply, lol

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: moderno] #700048 04/29/09 03:24 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Most excitement I've seen was when my buddy’s wife stepped in a 4x8 box blind down by El Indio on a cold January morning. 4 boys between 16 and 20 were in there trying to stay warm. Put her in another blind after she settled down and the rancher loaded the boy's up and took them to the lodge fed them a hot meal and sent them on they're way. Don't no who was screaming loudest, her or them boy's.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 04/29/09 03:27 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: HWY_MAN] #700049 04/29/09 03:31 PM
A
AdgerC15 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
there was a funny set of game cam pictures earlier this spring that showed all kinds of animals visiting a water hole, then a few "illegal aliens" stoppin in for a drink as well.
pretty crazy!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Conservation means development as much as it does protection.
- Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: HWY_MAN] #700050 04/29/09 04:08 PM
F
Friction Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
thought it was against federal law to provide transpo for illegals, you or your buddy might want to quit doing that if that's the case.

as far as illegals trespassing, just leave them alone as much as possible and notify the bp, next thing you know you're in court on a human rights violation and then having to selling your land to pay them compensation.

Last edited by Bedtimeii; 04/29/09 04:09 PM.
Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Scoop] #700051 04/29/09 04:34 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
When I hunted the trans pecos they used to stop at our camp and would eat a can of pork n beans or sardines. we got to where we left them there for them, never had any other problems or saw them.
But that was 20 yrs ago...

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Scoop] #700052 04/29/09 05:21 PM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I do not understand the tolerance with this. At best it's trespassing.

If their were hords of white Caucasians crossing peoples property they would be up in arms raising !@#$.

Tbar

Make America Great Again

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #700053 04/29/09 05:30 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Have had hundreds of contacts with illegals with no problems. It was the ones that I did not see that stole two different pickups through the years. The last one that was stolen was driven through ranches until they ran out of gas. Evidently were not too good at driving for they ran over lots of big rocks and brush.
The first incident occurred many years ago on the ranch in Medina Co. We found the truck rolled into our pasture off a Co. road. They were headed south, full of beer when the wreck took place.

Re: Unwanted visitors passing thru [Re: Scoop] #700054 04/29/09 06:14 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
A bunch of us were hunting the Callahan Javelina hunt one year south of Cotulla. We were sitting on the tailgate of my truck eating sandwiches when a group of three young guys came walking down the sendero. They had obviously been a long ways and still had a long ways to go to get to anywhere. All they each had was a change of clothes and a gallon milk jug of water. We fed them a couple of sandwiches each, gave them each a couple of candy bars, and they went their way. I'm well aware of the illegal immigrant issues and I think we have to secure our borders.

But, when you see three young men enduring their trek to what they hope is a better life, you just treat them as you would want someone to treat your son if he were in that position. At least we did. ICE doesn't do my job and I don't do theirs.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide