THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Fire works real well......

^^Fact.

The painstaking way is cut them off with a chainsaw, and spray the stump with 1 part Remedy : 4 parts diesel.

We have good luck just chopping them down to a stump, they won't regrow. And then in a few years go and push the stump over

There are two types.... the ones with red berries and the ones with blue berries.....one is in east Texas, the other west Texas. My uncle has both on his place in Lampasas. When you cut them one dies and the other sprouts from the stump and regrows.....I can't remember which is which.....fire hammers both of them. Had a wildfire burn about 5% of his place....took years for them to come back....figure animals replanted them.....

blue berry
red berry....

Ours have blue berries, they will not regrow; at least they haven't yet.
We burn fields, but when you have fifty (or more) 15ft tall cedars under a big oak, it seems risky to burn them. So we (or ranch help) will cut them down under oaks, then grub hoe them every five years or so when they start to show themselves again.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Cedar Trees [Re: Simple Searcher] #6988839 12/08/17 09:26 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

^^Fact.

The painstaking way is cut them off with a chainsaw, and spray the stump with 1 part Remedy : 4 parts diesel.

There are two types.... the ones with red berries and the ones with blue berries.....one is in east Texas, the other west Texas. My uncle has both on his place in Lampasas. When you cut them one dies and the other sprouts from the stump and regrows.....I can't remember which is which.....fire hammers both of them. Had a wildfire burn about 5% of his place....took years for them to come back....figure animals replanted them.....

blue berry
red berry....

Ours have blue berries, they will not regrow; at least they haven't yet.
We burn fields, but when you have fifty (or more) 15ft tall cedars under a big oak, it seems risky to burn them. So we (or ranch help) will cut them down under oaks, then grub hoe them every five years or so when they start to show themselves again.

I would cut them out from under the oaks and lower the fuel load under them then burn everything else. A little grass burning under the oaks wont hurt them.....best thing about a controlled burn is you choose the weather conditions for the fire.....we've all seen how bad late fall/mid-winter wildfires where the fuel load is high and high winds.....catastrophic!

I remember the grass fires going thru Cross Plains a few years ago....fire was moving 60+ miles an hour....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Cedar Trees [Re: Simple Searcher] #6989130 12/09/17 01:26 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

^^Fact.

We have good luck just chopping them down to a stump, they won't regrow. And then in a few years go and push the stump over

Remedy and diesel makes stumps rot.

I choose not to re-adress the problem a second time.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Cedar Trees [Re: Greerman] #6989226 12/09/17 02:43 AM
H
hornet527 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Power pellets

Re: Cedar Trees [Re: Greerman] #6989638 12/09/17 03:37 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I drive through where the Wildcat fire burned north of San Angelo back in 2011. It took about 4 years to start seeing sprouts coming up from the cedar stumps in parts of the burn. Dang mesquite was sprouting out the following year.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Cedar Trees [Re: Bbear] #6989650 12/09/17 03:54 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Bbear
I drive through where the Wildcat fire burned north of San Angelo back in 2011. It took about 4 years to start seeing sprouts coming up from the cedar stumps in parts of the burn. Dang mesquite was sprouting out the following year.

Yep, my experience is cedar is a lot easier to eradicate than mesquite. Cedar is prolific, but several ways to kill. Mesquite doesn't die, it just tricks you and comes back with revenge in mind.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide