Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: jnd59] #6945198 11/03/17 07:15 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: jnd59
If numbers are increasing in North Texas then we should see that in DU and Delta memberships. I would rather rely on private (including non - profit) endeavors to improve the forage here. We have a lot of water here, we just need better food. My impression is DU has concentrated on the coast because that is where the activity and wintering birds are. Politically, I don't think we can get DU to reallocate funds from the coast to here. I do think we can improve hunting by organizing and leasing to grow better forage whether that is done under an existing organization or a new one. Just my opinions and observations.

So it's totally acceptable to squander our license dollars for everything except what they should be used for?

Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: Esh and Hattie] #6945243 11/03/17 08:13 PM
T
takemking Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Ducks Unlimited has actually been involved in projects all over the state. Panhandle, North Texas, Gulf Coast, etc. I'm not going to name WMAs, or locations but if you do your research through their website you've got good opportunities everywhere. Maybe actually look up past projects before you assume they don't do enough.

Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: BradyBuck] #6945309 11/03/17 09:37 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

This

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Might have to do with the fact that waterfowl hunting is actually not very popular in Texas when compared to other types of hunting (besides in a few places.)

All the focus is on deer hunting. I could almost guarantee you that the game wardens in the counties I hunt around here couldn’t tell you the species of ducks I shoot and their limits.

and this

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
When it comes to lakes, Navasot nailed it. Most are managed by water districts and TX Parks and Wildlife have no say so. Their primary purpose is not hunting.

[Linked Image]
Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: Esh and Hattie] #6945425 11/04/17 12:15 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If it were me I'd move back to Iowa.

Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: takemking] #6945472 11/04/17 01:14 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: takemking
Ducks Unlimited has actually been involved in projects all over the state. Panhandle, North Texas, Gulf Coast, etc. I'm not going to name WMAs, or locations but if you do your research through their website you've got good opportunities everywhere. Maybe actually look up past projects before you assume they don't do enough.

You need to go back and read what I said. I never said there were no projects in our area. I said the projects are concentrated on the coast. And if you view the continental map of conservation efforts North Texas isn't even in a region. I'm not knocking DU. I'm a member. I expect that much of the conservation funds are raised in the coastal area, Austin and San Antonio. I would be willing to bet many of those hunters are oriented to the coast so I don't fault DU for it's decisions. That's also the place that flyway conservation efforts should be concentrated. The gist of my argument was that what the government gives the government can take away. If political winds in Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska change there are going to be a lot of duck hunters wondering what happened. I don't want to rely on the state and while I would like DU to be involved, I don't think asking them to help us keep more ducks from continuing to the coast or staying longer in North Texas is a political possibility. There are peanut fields and winter wheat North West of Abilene. If those crops are viable in North Texas we should figure out a way to make it happen.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: BradyBuck] #6945515 11/04/17 01:53 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Might have to do with the fact that waterfowl hunting is actually not very popular in Texas when compared to other types of hunting (besides in a few places.)

All the focus is on deer hunting. I could almost guarantee you that the game wardens in the counties I hunt around here couldn’t tell you the species of ducks I shoot and their limits.

I called the GW about a nearby lake that allows public duck hunting on it to ask some questions and he didn’t even know you could hunt it... confused2

You hit the nail dead square. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: ducknbass] #6945661 11/04/17 06:59 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Originally Posted By: jnd59
If numbers are increasing in North Texas then we should see that in DU and Delta memberships. I would rather rely on private (including non - profit) endeavors to improve the forage here. We have a lot of water here, we just need better food. My impression is DU has concentrated on the coast because that is where the activity and wintering birds are. Politically, I don't think we can get DU to reallocate funds from the coast to here. I do think we can improve hunting by organizing and leasing to grow better forage whether that is done under an existing organization or a new one. Just my opinions and observations.

So it's totally acceptable to squander our license dollars for everything except what they should be used for?

No, but I don't know if our fees totally support TPWD. I have a state license for a profession that dues do totally support the licencing agency. We were able to keep the state from claiming any excess. We certainly have the numbers to do the same if we banded together. Is there an organization that represents all of us before the state legislature? We have DU, QU, CCCA, BASS, NWTF, etc but I can't think of any organization that represents all of us before the legislature.

Last edited by jnd59; 11/04/17 07:01 AM.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: Esh and Hattie] #6947063 11/05/17 06:58 PM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
there's more people and orgs other than TPWD behind it, but you'll come to realize that anything managed, ran, or receives assistance from TPWD tends to not make any sense

Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: Esh and Hattie] #6949176 11/07/17 02:10 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
I've hunted 3 different lakes in North Texas, and 1 in East Texas, my only public hunting that I've done in Texas the last 10 years living here, so maybe what I'm asking about exists, i'm just not aware.

Growing up and college hunting, in Iowa and Kansas, the regulatory bodies for the lakes actually pump the marshes to huntable levels, manage drawdowns for vegetation growth, and in many cases plant millet and milo for waterfowl. If there is something broken, there is an explanation and and when possible a timetable to fix it (look at the KDWP website currently for example), and access points are only ever really closed because of water levels with excess rains.

Why do the lakes here have access sites closed all the time, do nothing for water management, and certainly nothing for habitat management? From my understanding Texas is about as financially stable state as they come, and there are certainly plenty of hunters to take advantage of the resource.

This is mostly a question, because like I said it may exist, it just seems like there is nothing done which is kind of disappointing.

The State uses the intended funds for other purposes

Quote:
Fund 9, remains unappropriated in order to help balance the state’s budget.

This year, the amount of Fund 9 is almost $47 million.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...s_S#Post6911490

Re: What's different about Texas? [Re: dogcatcher] #6966699 11/20/17 05:19 PM
S
spanish13 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I've been reading and looking at pictures of other states waterfowl public waters. They really do a good job of setup hunters for succcess. I understand Texas is a deer state but how many deer get taken by public land hunters a year in Texas? To me this is less about what species and more about how money is allocated because I hunt public and it's hard to scratch out a limit of dove on public when your hunting a 500 acre field of dirt. The state leases these lands and nothing is done to Attract the dove. I pay a lot of money every year to hunt and it doesn't seem to be put to good use. Not like other states and I'm a Texan that believes everything should be better here became of the amount of resources we have but I just don't see it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide