Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: scalebuster] #6950623 11/07/17 11:24 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

That's why we have a separate chain on the gate we put our lock on when we're there. If the GW wants to come hassle us he's going to have to walk 2 miles.

We don't have a lock on the gate, but the GW still climbs the fence and walks to the cabin.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: RovingTexan] #6950624 11/07/17 11:24 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: RovingTexan
I wanted to be a game warden for years as a young boy growing up. At some point around 15-16 my dad told me: "Son, if you want to be a game warden that's fine. But remember, you will never hunt an opening weekend again." That ended my dreams of being a GW. So while some may be "sour", remember they're working while you're having fun and relaxing.

Dad used to say the game wardens had the best huntin spots.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: txshntr] #6950644 11/07/17 11:42 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Originally Posted By: gary75758
GW has code to gate and key to cabin, i have nothing to hide,
texas

I don't think its about nothing to hide. Would you feel the same way if a trooper or city police officer stopped you from time to time just to see if you had in violations in your vehicle even though you weren't doing anything illegal to be pulled over. If I violate the law I understand the right of any law enforcement to take action. I take issue to someone coming onto private property to look for violations. I've been taking a nap and woke up by game wardens wanting to check my hunting license. This makes no sense to me.

If they never entered private property, how would they ever catch anyone? If it was just road stops, seems cheaper to just train the Highway Patrolmen to do Game checks and leave the GW on the lakes. Or is it wrong to stop someone on a lake simply because they are driving a boat? Because as far as I know, an LEO can’t pull me over for simply driving.

Truly asking with all respect. I honestly don’t see how they could be efficient at their job without entering private property.

They hang out at the processors, convenience stores, feed stores, look for spot lighters from public roadways, make traffic stops, follow up on Operation Game Theft tips and develop probable cause just like any other branch of law enforcement. The right to privacy on my own land or land that I may lease is the dilemma. I work cases where people murder each other and they tend not to make it easy for me to catch them. I still have to obey the law and Code of Criminal Procedures or risk having the case thrown out.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: westtexaswatkins] #6950646 11/07/17 11:42 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Would you feel the same way if a trooper or city police officer stopped you from time to time just to see if you had in violations in your vehicle even though you weren't doing anything illegal to be pulled over. If I violate the law I understand the right of any law enforcement to take action.

Last year I got pulled over Sunday evening on the way back from opening weekend by a DPS officer conducting what he called a "speed check". Once he found out we had been at the lease, he went back to his car and out of the passenger side came ol Mr Green Pants. He came up and questioned us for a while. I wasn't towing a trailer with an ATV or had a deer strapped to the hood... anything that would make you think I was hunting except I was in a 4X4 going down a 2 lane highway in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't until I was driving away that I realized that kinda pizzed me off.

I've never had a bad encounter with one though... unless you count the 6'10" game warden father of my high school girlfriend. Actually he was/is a great guy, miss him more than his daughter LOL.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950648 11/07/17 11:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Had the same thing happen to me while working on a tractor next to a barn. It didn't really piss me off much but the landowner who was helping me didn't like it at all.

IMO, the practice equates to an officer seeing a vehicle parked in your driveway and then knocking on your door to ask if you have a driver's license.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950661 11/07/17 11:52 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Ive been cited by the game warden only once. It was a stupid mistake on my part while dove hunting in Fisher county.

Growing up in Odessa and hunting All over the Sandhills at least 100 days a year for 21 years I never saw one game warden.

All of the wardens I've met on the water were good people. I lived on lake Palestine In east Texas for 5 years, and knew the warden well. Being single I had a lot of different girls in the boat with me that had no fishing license and not one ever got a ticket while we were hybrid fishing with live bait, they were all my rods, and the girls were usually in bikinis.

Every time I go to Amistad which is at least 5 times a year we get pulled over once a trip and have had only one problem. A buddy of mine had a brand new skeeter and a young warden alone tried to check us while we were fishing a windy point in a 20mph wind. He harpooned the side of my buddies new boat with the front of his. That poor kid got mutherfkd at least 20 times like I've never heard before. He asked to see a fire extinguisher and life jackets and my buddy really got pissed. The kid ended up driving off with his head down. You'd think they'd train those newbies to call you out to open water before a check.

I just don't like to mess with them while I'm hunting or sitting in camp.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: ChadTRG42] #6950743 11/08/17 12:55 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
(snip) I don't do illegal stuff, so I don't mind the law coming around doing their job at all.

I once surreptitiously removed the federal tag from my new mattress. It was late at night and I figured that nobody would ever find out. I felt so bad about it the next day that I called the FBI and turned myself in. Fortunately, they let me off with a sternly worded rebuke.

I'll never do that again.

wink

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: scalebuster] #6950750 11/08/17 01:00 AM
S
Stinger13 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Other than speeding and a rolling stop or a 1000 or so I'm a law abiding citizen. I have a license tag my game and follow the game rules. That said I don't want a game warden near my hunting property.

Sounds like he could have lightened up a little.

Have only been checked by a game warden 1 time while deer hunting and I just didn't get a warm and fuzzy when he drove up to our camp because he had a key to the power company lock on the locked front gate.

That's why we have a separate chain on the gate we put our lock on when we're there. If the GW wants to come hassle us he's going to have to walk 2 miles.

Make it difficult, pay the price for a mistake. Make friend, get a break for a mistake. They have master keys to most locks in production. Are you trying to keep the landowner out too?

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: scalebuster] #6950757 11/08/17 01:06 AM
S
Stinger13 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Then why use a different lock while you're there?

Just something we started doing Sept. 1, 2002. The last time I saw a game warden in our county. He came out and acted like an arsehole, wrote one ticket for an unplugged shotgun and started threatening to take the guy to jail. He stayed a long time going through our stuff and looking for some other infraction. The landowner finally called the local judge and put the warden on the phone with him. The warden left after that.

I'm sure it's not still the same guy but why deal with them if you don't have to?

You give him the same impression. You make it hard for him, he will make it hard for you. Who ya gonna call when you need him?

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950760 11/08/17 01:11 AM
S
Stinger13 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Stevarino
texas

I don't think its about nothing to hide. Would you feel the same way if a trooper or city police officer stopped you from time to time just to see if you had in violations in your vehicle even though you weren't doing anything illegal to be pulled over. If I violate the law I understand the right of any law enforcement to take action. I take issue to someone coming onto private property to look for violations. I've been taking a nap and woke up by game wardens wanting to check my hunting license. This makes no sense to me.

This right here is why I posted.. that scenario doesn’t sit well.. stretching their power a bit IMO..

So...you want them to wait at the gate till you are going home? Seriously, while evidence can be destroyed?

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950815 11/08/17 01:46 AM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I've had numerous encounters with wardens as had my dad and all have been good. I remember dad was fishing on LBJ and had just run his trotline. He had taken a yellowcat off that was a couple inches too short. When dad got to the ramp the GW was checking licenses and catches. Dad told the GW he had a yellowcat that was a little short but it was dead when he took it off and just couldn't throw it back and let it go to waste. The GW told him not to worry about it. A couple weeks later the same GW stopped at dads house as dad raised a huge garden every year. He asked dad if he could pick some tomatoes and okra and dad told him to help himself. He stopped a couple times that summer and he and dad became friends. That deer season, dad lost his lease and didn't have a place to hunt so he had no way to get venison. The GW came by a few days after season started and gave dad a deer that had been illegally killed. He knew dad loved venison and made sure he had a steady supply during the season. This year, while dove hunting in Cotulla, I was at my MIL's house when at just about dark a GW pulled up. Asked if we had been hunting and told him yes. Showed him my and my wifes license and if there was anything else he wanted to see. He said no and as he was leaving I thanked him for coming to the ranch to check as my MIL lives alone and it's good to know he checks on her.
I know some people on here says they have met some sour wardens. I've met some sour mechanics, HVAC, plumbers, etc and yet I don't judge them all the same. We all have bad days.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stinger13] #6950832 11/08/17 02:01 AM
G
gary75758 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: stinger13
Originally Posted By: Stevarino
texas

This right here is why I posted.. that scenario doesn’t sit well.. stretching their power a bit IMO..

So...you want them to wait at the gate till you are going home? Seriously, while evidence can be destroyed?

I had issues with trespassers and poachers dumping carcasses on back side of my place, GW took care of it, land owner back there has history of various violations that’s why GW has unlimited access
texas

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950839 11/08/17 02:05 AM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Why give the GW a key to your cabin?

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: ChadTRG42] #6950852 11/08/17 02:18 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I enjoy our game warden, and I have personally deer, duck, and night hunted with him on several occasions. I enjoy their company, and like listening to some of the crazy stories they tell. I guess it depends on your personal mentality of doing something wrong and getting caught. I don't do illegal stuff, so I don't mind the law coming around doing their job at all.

Chad, I do not break any laws either but I'm also not looking to get hassled. There are good GWs and there are bad GWs and then there are always a couple of Barney Fife GWs out there simply trying to screw with people to prove how tough they are and I've experienced all three. For the last two you really don't have to do much of anything to get them to show that they're jerks, could be something as not hearing/understanding something they say and asking a question for clarification and all of a sudden they act like your challenging their manhood...ugh. So I choose to avoid them if possible because I do not want to deal with the bull.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950875 11/08/17 02:36 AM
C
crankbait745 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I don't need a hunting license if I am not hunting!

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stinger13] #6950915 11/08/17 03:24 AM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Quote:

You give him the same impression. You make it hard for him, he will make it hard for you. Who ya gonna call when you need him?

You still call him, of course. If he does not provide the needed service, you report him.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950949 11/08/17 03:57 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I don't want their job. And for that reason, I will gladly comply, be respectful and give them a reason to not have an interest in worrying about me being a person they feel inclined to be concerned with.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950967 11/08/17 04:14 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Luckily no bad experiences. All 6 of mine while dove hunting even with a ticket for no HE 23 years ago. 3 were last year alone in 3 separate counties! Never seen one where I deer hunt in 12 years.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stinger13] #6950975 11/08/17 04:26 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Then why use a different lock while you're there?

Just something we started doing Sept. 1, 2002. The last time I saw a game warden in our county. He came out and acted like an arsehole, wrote one ticket for an unplugged shotgun and started threatening to take the guy to jail. He stayed a long time going through our stuff and looking for some other infraction. The landowner finally called the local judge and put the warden on the phone with him. The warden left after that.

I'm sure it's not still the same guy but why deal with them if you don't have to?

Why the hell would I ever need him?

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stinger13] #6950981 11/08/17 04:30 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Other than speeding and a rolling stop or a 1000 or so I'm a law abiding citizen. I have a license tag my game and follow the game rules. That said I don't want a game warden near my hunting property.

Sounds like he could have lightened up a little.

Have only been checked by a game warden 1 time while deer hunting and I just didn't get a warm and fuzzy when he drove up to our camp because he had a key to the power company lock on the locked front gate.

Make it difficult, pay the price for a mistake. Make friend, get a break for a mistake. They have master keys to most locks in production. Are you trying to keep the landowner out too?

It was the landowners idea and is still his lock.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: oldoak2000] #6950983 11/08/17 04:33 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

Just doin' his job....

Ah. The Nuremburg defense. That makes everything ok.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950987 11/08/17 04:39 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Game Wardens are necessary. Sometimes they are an inconvenience that in my opinion is outweighed by the service they provide. The majority of my experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive with the exception of two encounters. Overall that is a better track record than most professions. Personally I am happy to see them on the property I hunt and wish they had a regular presence there. I have no problem with them checking to see if I am obeying the law. I would think trying to lock them out is a sure way to get their full attention, and I would think a good way to piss off the landowner, unless you are the landowner. Locking out a utility companies lock is a violation of the law. If you are not ticketed for that, whether you are aware of it or not, you were given a break.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6950989 11/08/17 04:41 AM
N
Nate C. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I see some really disappointing comments from a bunch of so-called conservation-minded outdoorsmen on here. Everybody is pro-police, as long as Mr. Police is paying attention to somebody else. I personally have only good experiences to share regarding my interactions with GW. I couldn't do what they do on my best day, and they do it in all kinds of weather, at all hours, alone, miles from help, while dealing with people who are always armed and often intoxicated. God bless 'em for doing their job.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951061 11/08/17 10:39 AM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
a few bad apples will ruin the whose basket...there is good and bad in every walk of life..the systym will fix this..if he or she is a good apple..he or she will last a long time..on the other hand if he or she is a bad one he or she will be gone and will not have a career..having said that it doesnt bode well for the profession if there is somebody over reaching..over reacting..and i think that comes with experience with the professional..with age comes wisdom..your more seasoned GW are awesome! He she has the power and demand respect..and that goes for anybody in authority..sometimes i dont like it..but its always better to respect rather than disrespect anybody with any authority,,they will appreciate it

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951065 11/08/17 11:05 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Game Warden is welcome on my place any time. He has all the combo's for the locks on the big ranch and we request he do a drive through when ever possible. In over 50 years I've never once had a problem with a Game Warden. maybe it's because I follow the law, understand the job they have to do and I don't give them any attitude. To be honest I don't understand why anybody would cop an attitude but they most certainly do, seen it too many times. Our game laws in Texas are about as simply written as they can be, if you screw up then suck it up and shake their hand for doing a good job.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide