Forums46
Topics538,648
Posts9,739,520
Members87,100
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905961 10/02/17 06:03 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
On 1 hand, they did you a favor by not selling you a Taurus. Personally, I'd rather have a sharp stick.

OTOH, the least educated counter monkeys you will ever encounter are in Academy, or other bg box chains. I've known 1 person who worked there a short time that I would trust. The rest are usually uncaring, ignorant & apathetic. They don't know anything about firearms, ammo, legal necessities for firearms, or customer service.

I would rather take off all my clothes & run backwards thru a cornfield than patronize the Academy gun counter.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6905993 10/02/17 06:34 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Seems like you made a dumb mistake and are try to cast blame. They probably have the policy because they've gotten whacked for it in the past.

That's a very, very simple form to fill out. Next time check it? Or just be more careful?

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: cameron00] #6906159 10/02/17 08:13 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Seems like you made a dumb mistake and are try to cast blame. They probably have the policy because they've gotten whacked for it in the past.

That's a very, very simple form to fill out. Next time check it? Or just be more careful?

Best answer.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: maximus_flavius] #6906164 10/02/17 08:17 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
On 1 hand, they did you a favor by not selling you a Taurus.

roflmao

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: ChadTRG42] #6906198 10/02/17 08:39 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: huntwest
There is not an ATF rule. That is Academy's dumb PC policy.

^^ This. And if Academy phones in the NICS background check, and the NICS response is "Delayed" (which happens to me often), Academy will NOT sell you the firearm. By ATF rules, the FFL can transfer you the firearm within 72 hours or 3 full days after if they don't hear back from NICS. But Academy's policy will not transfer it to you no matter what. They have some very strict policies.

That must have changed with the new ownership. I used to work the gun counter at academy years ago and that wasn't the case.

I have had family members and a friend try to purchase a firearm that was on sale, and the background check come back "delayed". After that, Academy said they could not transfer the firearm to them, unless the NICS called them specifically to report that this check was now a "proceed". In multiple cases, the Academy employee said that since it was delayed, and not a clear "proceed" (proceed means the NICS check went through and individual was cleared to have this firearm at that exact time) they would not be able to transfer the firearm to them. They said that the chances of NICS calling them back was very slim. This has happened several times within the last few years. I'm an FFL, and went ahead and ordered the firearm for them. The check came back delayed again for me. One family member received a call back for proceed, and my friend never received a call. At which time, I legally transferred it to him about a week later. Turns out, the friend had the same name as a felon, and ended up getting a UPIN for this reason. I have since transferred several firearms for him now, with an immediate "proceed" when using his new UPIN on the forms.

To the OP. Yes, if you check the wrong box, the FFL can not do anything further for you. If it's on paper, maybe you tear up the bad form, and fill out a new one. But on an electronic form, and when it's filled out wrong, that's it. It's done. No fix can be had.

Still very odd. I'm one of those folks that has the same name as a convicted felon as well. I would get a delay 100% of the time. I finally got my CHL to help mitigate that little problem.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6906567 10/03/17 12:32 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I don't understand why this is such a big deal with them really. The 4473 form isn't numbered or anything like that and if it was filled out incorrectly they could just tear it up and tell you to do another one as the first was not filled out in a satisfactory manner. Nothing illegal on either end of the transaction.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: Old Stony] #6906707 10/03/17 01:50 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Old Stony
I don't understand why this is such a big deal with them really. The 4473 form isn't numbered or anything like that and if it was filled out incorrectly they could just tear it up and tell you to do another one as the first was not filled out in a satisfactory manner. Nothing illegal on either end of the transaction.

It was on an electronic Ipad type device, and was submitted electronically.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6906864 10/03/17 04:44 AM
D
doggit Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Just to be clear yes I made the mistake and screwed up. Who cares no big deal like I said didn't need gun just was getting it for the price. I'm not casting blame or trying to blame anyone but myself. Not even academy. But what I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IS THE 30 DAY BAN!!!~! What corporate dicwad came up with 30 days and why 30 days? I honestly thought maybe they would tell me come back tomorrow. But 30 days come on. What are they accomplishing with it? Why not 6 months, 1 year or hell how bout lifetime ban!! That would make the most sense. So for 30 days I can't buy a gun from academy, but I can anywhere else. That is if I don't screw up again!!!So what is 30 days a cooling off period? A study period? Or academy is just grounding me? Makes no sense. Is all I was trying to say. But thank you internet police, attorneys, experts and psychiatrist for helping me cope with this horrible mistake I have made. Until you certain few brought it to my attention I had no idea of the terrible irreversible mistake I had made! And how many lives I put in danger. Thank you again, And thank you academy for doing your part in keeping the US a safer place by your BS policy. (for 30 days at least)Hell even though my DL says I'm a citizen, my CHL and my birth certificate says I was born in Texas I'm beginning to 2nd guess myself and maybe I a an illegal. After all why would I put it down? Of course academy shouldn't trust a birth certificate. Especially from Hawaii. They have a way of convincing the world that an illegal is legal. Maybe that's what my hospital did. And while I have all these experts giving advice what box does a trangender check on the form? Male or female? Do they need to add a gender neutral box to the forms? Called ATF about this concern and they said they no longer have a direct bullchit line to the whitehouse under the current administration with a press 1 to screw the common law abiding citizen, so they were going to leave it up to the seller to use their common sense and good judgement like academy. And how does a deaf, blind person buy a gun if it's illegal to help or coach? Do they make a form in brail? they have a Spanish version, so why not every other language? maybe nog or napr can help me on some of these questions since they evidently are the experts and don't think 30day ban is onerous. And I took this advice https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/apply-citizenship and spent several hours filling out all the form and submitted them just to be sure of my status. My mom says don't worry at least I should be an anchor baby because she knows I was born in TX. Or the very least something about daca kid since I was forced to take Spanish in school and can now speak and write a little. I called the ARMY to see if they made a mistake and allowed an illegal to serve and all they could offer me was a sexual reassignment surgery for free paid for by your tax $ they said. I then called the college I graduated from to see if maybe they had made the same mistake of accepting an illegal and all they could offer me was a safe place with some play dough to play with. Tried to get ahold of someone in Dallas at Jerry's world where I once worked no answer they were busy practicing disrespecting our flag and vets in the form of free speech. Kid came home from school to day with a 30 day suspension because he asked another kid to play cowboys and Indians, they expelled him for 30 days for being a racist. Then I grounded him for 30 days just because that is my policy. I said don't worry I'm just preparing you for a corporate job at academy where you can sit around a pull stupid azz policies using NO COMMON SENSE out of your azz. My other son got suspended for, you guessed it 30 DAYS for having a PB&J sandwhich shaped like a pistol at school lunch. So I then grounded him for another 30 days so he too would be able to find employment at academys corporate headquarters. This kind of stuff happens in a country using NO COMMON SENSE!! And to think all this fell into place for checking the wrong box at academy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6906889 10/03/17 06:24 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6906896 10/03/17 08:26 AM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Try decaf

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6906994 10/03/17 12:29 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
No offense OP, but you went to a big box store where a buncha idiots work, from the guys on the floor, to the managers, to the corporate attorneys; to buy a POS gun. If you knew anything about Academy (like them HIDING their AR-15s after the last major shooting), or how ignorant & apathetic their employees & policies are, you would never have tried to buy a gun there.

Next time, may I suggest you go to a smaller, privately owned gun store where they sell quality firearms, have employees that know WTF they are talking about, & owners/managers who know the law, & don't have the stupidest corporate policies I've ever heard of.

Consider this a learning experience & move on.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: SR025] #6907033 10/03/17 12:56 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: SR025
Try decaf

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6907081 10/03/17 01:39 PM
B
brent99 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Their store, their rules. Take a deep breath and move on.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6907134 10/03/17 02:12 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I have always liked Academy. But lately, I dread going in there. I will never buy another pair of shoes there again. Every time I find a pair I want to try on, you have to dig through all the random misplaced boxes on the shelf, to only find out they don't have your size. It's a butt whip.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: Old Stony] #6907142 10/03/17 02:18 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Old Stony

Because it's not their job to tell you how to fill out the form properly so you can buy a gun. That's why.

They don't know if someone filled it out correctly the first time and then they are just mad because they got denied and now want to change their correct, truthful answers to incorrect, false ones just so they can pass the check.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: maximus_flavius] #6907149 10/03/17 02:21 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SR025
Try decaf
rofl

No offense OP, but you went to a big box store where a buncha idiots work, from the guys on the floor, to the managers, to the corporate attorneys; to buy a POS gun. If you knew anything about Academy (like them HIDING their AR-15s after the last major shooting), or how ignorant & apathetic their employees & policies are, you would never have tried to buy a gun there.

Next time, may I suggest you go to a smaller, privately owned gun store where they sell quality firearms, have employees that know WTF they are talking about, & owners/managers who know the law, & don't have the stupidest corporate policies I've ever heard of.

Consider this a learning experience & move on.

This isn't always the case....stopped at a small gun store outside of Tyler a couple of years ago. Had a good deal on a pistol so I decided to get it. He had me fill out the form....I have a CDL with my PO for an address. I fill out the form...he calls it in...denied! Have to have a physical address that matches the ID. Said fine, my wife can buy it on her DL....nope, gotta wait 3 days before anyone can purchase that pistol. I said no one can walk into this store and purchase that pistol for 3 days...NOPE! Then sell us the one next to it....nope! Our policy is if you are denied then you have to wait....
Big steaming pile of bs

I went back to DPS to change my address....Since I have hasmat Texas told me I have to keep the PO since I have one....something to do with homeland security.....rolleyes

So to "solve" the problem I just paid to have a state ID with my address....then last year they took it back....you now can only have one state ID, if you have a DL then that's it...oh, and I still can't change my address.....stupid!

I was told to just get my CCL and that will fix it....I don't care to have my name on another government list....just my personal preference....

Since then I've started to purchase firearms from individuals just to avoid all the government hassle.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6907173 10/03/17 02:35 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I was told to just get my CCL and that will fix it....I don't care to have my name on another government list....just my personal preference....

Since then I've started to purchase firearms from individuals just to avoid all the government hassle.....

^^ The CHL is your answer. Sure, you would be under the column in some list that you have a CHL. So what? But if/when you purchase a new firearm in a store or from an FFL, there's no back ground check called in. Since it's not called in, there's no record or another firearm "linked" to you on record, just on paper. No one would know unless they went to that FFL and recorded down the paperwork. I've never quite understood that logic.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: ChadTRG42] #6907192 10/03/17 02:47 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

^^ The CHL is your answer. Sure, you would be under the column in some list that you have a CHL. So what? But if/when you purchase a new firearm in a store or from an FFL, there's no back ground check called in. Since it's not called in, there's no record or another firearm "linked" to you on record, just on paper. No one would know unless they went to that FFL and recorded down the paperwork. I've never quite understood that logic.

Didn't know that...thought you don't have to go thru the background check at the time of purchase but they still file the purchase with the feds.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6907194 10/03/17 02:49 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
My father ordered me a margarita on my 20th b-day at chili's (which is legal in Texas for the yankees out there) and the pandemonium the ensued when the manager came out and said I couldn't have one was better than any margarita I've had since. In the end, company policy trumped state legislation lol. My dad ended up giving me his and we got "escorted" out the front door by some rent-a-cops. But hey, we did get our appetizers for free!

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6907218 10/03/17 02:58 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: doggit
"One thing that stands out is your steadfast ignoring of your role in this situation"

JEEZ now I know it was my fault,

Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!ignore the above sh hd post

YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT I'M IGNORING MY ROLE, NOW LET'S ALL TAKE A KNEE!!! I said it was my fault twice. All I asked for is to use a little common sense like most sellers. Tear up the mistake form and start over and don't make the mistake this time, which apparently is perfectly legal since ATF doesn't specify what the rules are for an incorrect form, apparently they leave that up to the seller, and my mistake was not putting N/A after the illegal question, so yeah make perfect sense to any competent person that I should be banned from buying a gun from them for 30 days. Jeez I knew posting here would make me feel better. Thank you both for clarifying the situation and explaining it to me in a way that makes perfect sense. In fact it both your points make about as much sense as keeping supressors under control of the fed govt and a PITA to get.

Last edited by colt45; 10/03/17 03:05 PM.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6907219 10/03/17 02:58 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Didn't know that...thought you don't have to go thru the background check at the time of purchase but they still file the purchase with the feds.....

Correct. So when I transfer a firearm to a Texas CHL holder, they fill out the paperwork, and I check the box that says, basically, no back ground check is needed because the purchaser is exempt because of a CHL. I write down all the CHL numbers, and file it away. No NICS phone call happens. "They" would not even know you bought a firearm unless someone comes and physically goes through my paperwork.

If you get an out of state CHL (why, I have no idea!!! that's another story that's about as dump as a football bat), this does not qualify for exemption.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: maximus_flavius] #6907224 10/03/17 03:02 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
On 1 hand, they did you a favor by not selling you a Taurus. Personally, I'd rather have a sharp stick.

OTOH, the least educated counter monkeys you will ever encounter are in Academy, or other bg box chains. I've known 1 person who worked there a short time that I would trust. The rest are usually uncaring, ignorant & apathetic. They don't know anything about firearms, ammo, legal necessities for firearms, or customer service.

I would rather take off all my clothes & run backwards thru a cornfield than patronize the Academy gun counter.
with my pit bull chasing you

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: ChadTRG42] #6907308 10/03/17 04:01 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Correct. So when I transfer a firearm to a Texas CHL holder, they fill out the paperwork, and I check the box that says, basically, no back ground check is needed because the purchaser is exempt because of a CHL. I write down all the CHL numbers, and file it away. No NICS phone call happens. "They" would not even know you bought a firearm unless someone comes and physically goes through my paperwork.

If you get an out of state CHL (why, I have no idea!!! that's another story that's about as dump as a football bat), this does not qualify for exemption.

Very interesting. So if a new gun purchased by a CHL holder was used in criminal activity there would be no way the Feds could trace that unless they went to manufacturer and got FFL holder to look through his individual records? And if a CHL holder bought a used gun from a FFL dealer there is even less chance of tracing the life history of that gun?? Do I understand?

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6907347 10/03/17 04:36 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
They have to back track the history of the gun, first, by the serial #. If a firearm and serial is recovered in a crime, someone will immediately call the mfg (or mfg rep company) for the tracking history. The mfg will, typically, supply the distributor then the distributor will provide the retailer or shop where it was originally sold.

On the used gun, the gun had to come from somewhere if it's through an FFL. The FFL would have in their books where it came from, either a private individual or another FFL, and then who it was sold to. I have received a few letters from the ATF looking for a certain serial numbered firearm just for this purpose. The tracking trail went cold, and they are reaching out to FFL's to check their files for this serial #.

Some larger FFL's have gone digital (hence the Academy issue), and the serial numbers are stored into a data base that can quickly be accessed, I'm sure by whomever has access.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit] #6907349 10/03/17 04:37 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Wow this post turned into something special. I get it. It's bs when you can prove right there at the counter you made a silly mistake. Even ATF should be able to see what went on. It's common sense. When stuff like that happens to me I've found it's easier to say...well god doesn't want me to buy a pistole today and move along.

Sorry Snake Wrangler, to bad that didn't work on our taxes. Oops I made a mistake. Can't pay my taxes this month cause of the 30 day tax payment policy. Life was is to short sometimes. My biggest question is do you even want another gun like you already had after your 30 day ban? Goodluck... make sure you study for the test next time:) get a proper nights sleep. A lot yourself plenty of time to get there. Wear clean underwear and comfortable clothes. Wash your hands well the night before. Bring a moist towel with you and a bottle of water........

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide