NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6810032 07/02/17 12:39 AM
M
mikei Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I'm very glad it worked out well for the group, but I still wouldn't consider bird shot to be my "go to" ammunition as bear defense. Certainly beats a plastic picnic fork!

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6810070 07/02/17 01:26 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Birdshot at close range before is disperses is pretty brutal. Not surprised this was the outcome.

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6810082 07/02/17 01:45 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Anyone who has ever spent time shooting shotguns with various loads clearly knows how they perform based on distance. Please note that a rifle was used to finish the job. We have no idea what kind of shape the bear was in before taking the rifle round.

I have huge respect for the energy in a basic 2-3/4" low brass bird shot round. At point blank range, I would venture a guess that no animal of any size could survive a shot centered in the eye. But I prefer a bit more standoff range from predators of any type.

Last edited by Marc in Bastrop; 07/02/17 01:46 AM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6810094 07/02/17 02:12 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Yeah, birdshot didn't kill anything here either. Of course birdshot can kill. I really don't think there is anyone who argues seriously that birdshot can't kill, but what they can argue seriously is that it is a poor choice for self defense against determined attackers and large predators.

Quote:
“That first shot hit him in the shoulder and did absolutely nothing,” he said. “

I think that says a lot right there.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6810109 07/02/17 02:37 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
It appears there was no time to rummage through the ammo bag and pull out the magnum buck shot or a slug.
This was a shoot what you've got, and shoot a lot situation.

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 07/02/17 08:15 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6810158 07/02/17 03:34 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Yeah, birdshot didn't kill anything here either. Of course birdshot can kill. I really don't think there is anyone who argues seriously that birdshot can't kill, but what they can argue seriously is that it is a poor choice for self defense against determined attackers and large predators.

Quote:
“That first shot hit him in the shoulder and did absolutely nothing,” he said. “

It Says it Didn't hit the spine.

Poor choice yes but that wasn't its primary function, end of the day a favorable outcome

From a home protection I don't see many people having more then 10yard of shooting range with in a home, so personally don't think it matters that much. Mine is 6's

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6810187 07/02/17 04:21 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Glad things worked out! Gutsy young man!

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6810257 07/02/17 01:37 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Quote:

Spine shot? No way.

Only way to kill a bear for sure. Shoot his tail off. If you're good enough to take that tail clean off, that bear's as good as dead. Trust me, I know.

It could say a lot of things. Like, he's got piss poor interpersonal skills. He's a republican. And hates liberal animals. I bet that bear was gay, came out of the closet, and was kiled for it. Did he consider the bears feelings? No. He smoked that bears azz stone cold dead instead of considering other options, such as "Hey, I'm sorry I pissed you off, lets sit down and work this out over a cold beer and a bowl. Coors, or Bud Light?" Or, "You're a h0m0? Im a h0m0 too! Let's make a h0m0 family and pretend it's normal".

Bears can't catch and kill what they can't see. I bet that fella knew he had one shot zone on that bear that could stop the attack and the stress of the moment got the best of him and caused him to miss wide. And I'm darn sure he knows beeter than to attempt to shoot through 3+ feet of pissed off bear physiology to hit the magical "spine" shot. I couldnt drop a cooperative "circus Bear", "zoo bear", or "dancing bear" with a low brass 12 spine shot, much less an attack by a "wild bear", thouggh I'm pretty sure sure I'd hit it real good with a solid stream of uncontrolled crap shots, all the while kickiing and screaming hysterically to the sound of my own bones being crunched like pretzels. By a large animal that isn't known for killing it's prey in a painless, humane manner.

Spine shot........

$100 say's you've never been in the srvice. Pogue maybe, def not a leg.

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6810283 07/02/17 02:30 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I wouldn't load it for bear but if that's what I had..... I did kill a 160# sow at 10 ft with 6 shot once. One shot to the face and down for the count.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: aerangis] #6810373 07/02/17 04:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: aerangis

Quote:

Spine shot? No way.

Only way to kill a bear for sure. Shoot his tail off. If you're good enough to take that tail clean off, that bear's as good as dead. Trust me, I know.

It could say a lot of things. Like, he's got piss poor interpersonal skills. He's a republican. And hates liberal animals. I bet that bear was gay, came out of the closet, and was kiled for it. Did he consider the bears feelings? No. He smoked that bears azz stone cold dead instead of considering other options, such as "Hey, I'm sorry I pissed you off, lets sit down and work this out over a cold beer and a bowl. Coors, or Bud Light?" Or, "You're a h0m0? Im a h0m0 too! Let's make a h0m0 family and pretend it's normal".

Bears can't catch and kill what they can't see. I bet that fella knew he had one shot zone on that bear that could stop the attack and the stress of the moment got the best of him and caused him to miss wide. And I'm darn sure he knows beeter than to attempt to shoot through 3+ feet of pissed off bear physiology to hit the magical "spine" shot. I couldnt drop a cooperative "circus Bear", "zoo bear", or "dancing bear" with a low brass 12 spine shot, much less an attack by a "wild bear", thouggh I'm pretty sure sure I'd hit it real good with a solid stream of uncontrolled crap shots, all the while kickiing and screaming hysterically to the sound of my own bones being crunched like pretzels. By a large animal that isn't known for killing it's prey in a painless, humane manner.

Spine shot........

Re-read my comment to a comment. If you still can't understand the chain let me know when your in the DFW airport area and I'll bring my DD214 and you can bring my $100

My comment was about why the shoulder shot didn't phase the bear. Only way to stop an animal is spine shot, brain etc. if someone shot a bear in the shoulder and it continued on its charge, it's because it didn't it hit the spine( wether that be a result of lack of penetration or miss placement). Seen a enough blk bears hit with 300 to 338 Cala run after shoulder hits. There is only way to DRT and it's sever nerve responses.

I'm not critiquing his shot placement choice(I'm actually more impressed he got shots off), merely cause and effect. End of the day thier weapons worked. I'm not about to hunt grouse and ptarmigan and pigeons with Buck or T shot, but knock yourself out

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: aerangis] #6810377 07/02/17 04:34 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: aerangis

Quote:

Spine shot? No way.

Spine shot........

SMDH....all I got, just SMDH....... rolleyes

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6810381 07/02/17 04:41 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It works nicely on water moccasins.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6811039 07/03/17 04:29 PM
H
huntindude Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
and dont forget that it was 11 year old, that first shot the bear and from what I can understand didn't hit anybody else. He had no time to think. He just shot. In my book, a hero.

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6811050 07/03/17 04:49 PM
O
Okiedog Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
O
11 yr old did what he needed to do. Good for him!

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6813021 07/05/17 03:50 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I got lots of respect of a close range shotgun.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6813035 07/05/17 04:01 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Kudos for 11 yr old taking defensive shot to start with. Lucky outcome

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6813146 07/05/17 06:11 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
If you have a big enough target these can be devasting.

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6813159 07/05/17 06:26 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
lets just say that it turned out to be a lucky day. have never understood hunters in "BEAR country" with rifles slung over their shoulders, especially making their way through alders or willows

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6813206 07/05/17 07:17 PM
K
kman2017 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Two years ago when my dad was hunting at our dove lease he had a huge charolais bull try to run him down. Once it was full on charging him he started hauling [censored] toward a thicket of trees and was going to shoot his gun into the ground but a small mesquite tree caught it as he fired and sent the shot straight into the brisket of the bull from a few yards away. Bull never even got up after it hit the ground.

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6813234 07/05/17 07:51 PM
H
hornedfrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I know for a fact #6 12 gauge can kill a black bear. Bear was in trash and property owner owner fired one shot at bear from about 20 yards to scare it off. Bear ran about 250 yards and died. Fish and game was called and upon examination one pellet pierced the carotid artery. I did not shoot the bear, but I was the one who found it and I did speak to the fish and game officer.

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: kman2017] #6813273 07/05/17 08:26 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: kman2017
Two years ago when my dad was hunting at our dove lease he had a huge charolais bull try to run him down. Once it was full on charging him he started hauling [censored] toward a thicket of trees and was going to shoot his gun into the ground but a small mesquite tree caught it as he fired and sent the shot straight into the brisket of the bull from a few yards away. Bull never even got up after it hit the ground.

That was an expensive dove hunt.

Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: Choctaw] #6813294 07/05/17 08:46 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: kman2017

That was an expensive dove hunt.

I was going to make the same comment! Ouch.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: Dalroo] #6814790 07/07/17 05:24 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Birdshot killed this little gem. This afternoon.

Last edited by therancher; 07/07/17 05:26 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Birdshot can't kill anything [Re: syncerus] #6814812 07/07/17 10:28 AM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Tiny pellets, partularly steel pellets, loose velocity very quickly. They loose their lethality ver quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide