Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bees everywhere #6752980 05/03/17 02:52 AM
D
dockhigh Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
I have been clearing some dead trees and brush on a property I have near wharton. My guys have now found 9 different groups. I would love to have a keeper come get them or i will have to kill them. Anybody want some bees?

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6753013 05/03/17 03:17 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I would love to come get some but I couldn't do it til next week. If you can wait let me know.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6753063 05/03/17 08:07 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
If Rancher doesn't get them and you have time, I may be able to get some interested beekeepers around Houston to help you out. If they arent Africanized, they are needed. If I was closer I'd get them.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6753166 05/03/17 01:07 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
If they are just a large group not in a hive they will move along soon they are looking for a home.

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6753435 05/03/17 06:00 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
go to all means to not kill

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: cmc] #6753507 05/03/17 07:17 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: cmc
If they are just a large group not in a hive they will move along soon they are looking for a home.

Yep. If they are just hanging on branches they are transient.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: colt45-90] #6753516 05/03/17 07:23 PM
S
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: colt45
Bee #'s are way down and when bee's are gone we are too

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: sallysue] #6753666 05/03/17 09:49 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: sallysue

Bee numbers are not way down. Numbers of people looking for a payday are WAY up. Hence the manufactured crises like global warming, ozone hole, and bee decline.

I'm 61 years old, my family has owned bees a large part of my life. I have never ever seen more honey bees than this year.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: therancher] #6753677 05/03/17 10:02 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: sallysue

Bee numbers are not way down. Numbers of people looking for a payday are WAY up. Hence the manufactured crises like global warming, ozone hole, and bee decline.

I'm 61 years old, my family has owned bees a large part of my life. I have never ever seen more honey bees than this year.

Thank. You. Sir! I like bees. I like honey. I don't WANT to kill bees, but when they make a structure unusable, and there are no beekeepers to relocate them within a couple hours drive, they have to die. (See sig line below.)

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: therancher] #6753763 05/03/17 11:50 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Yes, it's all manufactured BS, or I guess now "alternative facts."

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6753825 05/04/17 12:46 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Yep, Rancher needs to go talk with the part of the family that actually is keeping bees, "how it was" 15-20 years ago, "aint" like it is now..

Dennis

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6753835 05/04/17 12:54 AM
B
billyhunt Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Gotta say after last year with bees making a hive in my wash room. I could care less for them . If you EVER, EVER have them making a new hive in/or around your house. Getm out quick, because it aint fun having them as guests. Believe me!!!!

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: Western] #6753918 05/04/17 02:05 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Western
Yep, Rancher needs to go talk with the part of the family that actually is keeping bees, "how it was" 15-20 years ago, "aint" like it is now..

I AM that part of the family. Bee numbers went down with the drought. Now they are back in record numbers. Hence the complaints about them. That data posted was about "honey producing colonies". That has absolutely nothing to do with bee numbers. But explaining data to you is probably futile.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6753951 05/04/17 02:48 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
My little dozer doesn't have a enclosed cab and I don't do brush pushing this time of year on account of the bee's. Already got into two hives this Spring. bang

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: therancher] #6754049 05/04/17 10:40 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

I AM that part of the family. Bee numbers went down with the drought. Now they are back in record numbers. Hence the complaints about them. That data posted was about "honey producing colonies". That has absolutely nothing to do with bee numbers. But explaining data to you is probably futile.

Bee numbers fell nationwide, drought has little to do with it other than regionally. The issues facing honey producing hives, also effect feral hives, that is why there is so much hope that feral bees can find a way to combat the newer problems by many beeks

Dennis

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6754122 05/04/17 12:24 PM
H
huntindude Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Honey bees are not native to this country. Europeans brought them over for the exact reason we are missing them.

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: huntindude] #6754191 05/04/17 01:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: huntindude
Honey bees are not native to this country. Europeans brought them over for the exact reason we are missing them.

Mic drop by the dude. cheers

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: Western] #6754266 05/04/17 02:34 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Bee numbers fell nationwide, drought has little to do with it other than regionally. The issues facing honey producing hives, also effect feral hives, that is why there is so much hope that feral bees can find a way to combat the newer problems by many beeks

Then the answer to all bee problems are in the Texas hill country, and evidently the cure is spreading toward the coast according to the OP.

In the hill country this year bees were WAY over carrying capacity. I posted about it earlier back in cold weather. Literally hundreds of bees in every deer feeder. Leave a corn sack, chicken feed sack or any source of grain open for more than 3 minutes and there would be bees swarming all over it.

I had an 80+ year old bee keeper call me a liar when I told him the above. So I videoed pouring corn into a bucket. Within 1.5 minutes bees were all over it. He apologized. Evidently grain dust is a substitute for pollen.

Bees were starving because their numbers were way over carrying capacity and it was that way on most of the hill country.

Two years of plentiful rain pushed bee populations to levels not seen by an octagenarian bee keeper. May not have been the drought. But someone is skewing the data. The bees don't lie.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6754269 05/04/17 02:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Probably the anti GMO nut jobs

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6754289 05/04/17 02:54 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

You two simply don't understand!! We're all gonna starve to death if honeybees go extinct!!! We're less than a decade away from worldwide disaster don'tchaknow!!??

Sarcasm off.

So, how did plants get pollenated before we imported honeybees? I'll just sit back and wait on the chicken littles' answers. This should be good.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: therancher] #6754295 05/04/17 02:58 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

You two simply don't understand!! We're all gonna starve to death if honeybees go extinct!!! We're less than a decade away from worldwide disaster don'tchaknow!!??

Sarcasm off.

So, how did plants get pollenated before we imported honeybees? I'll just sit back and wait on the chicken littles' answers. This should be good.

There were many more whore'ish dirty-leg plants back then.

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6754431 05/04/17 05:36 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
My father was a hobby beekeeper, which meant I was as well, not by choice though. It's a hobby that requires lots of work.

I thought this was an interesting read to better describe "bee issues" and "honeybee issues". The cause to be concerned is still there, just not so much with the "honeybee".

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/youre-worrying-wrong-bees/

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: therancher] #6754520 05/04/17 06:54 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Sarcasm off.

Same way alfalfa gets pollinated in the high plain deserts?

Re: Bees everywhere [Re: dockhigh] #6754538 05/04/17 07:03 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

I never did get "the birds and the bees" talk.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Bees everywhere [Re: therancher] #6755085 05/05/17 11:53 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Then the answer to all bee problems are in the Texas hill country, and evidently the cure is spreading toward the coast according to the OP.

In the hill country this year bees were WAY over carrying capacity. I posted about it earlier back in cold weather. Literally hundreds of bees in every deer feeder. Leave a corn sack, chicken feed sack or any source of grain open for more than 3 minutes and there would be bees swarming all over it.

I had an 80+ year old bee keeper call me a liar when I told him the above. So I videoed pouring corn into a bucket. Within 1.5 minutes bees were all over it. He apologized. Evidently grain dust is a substitute for pollen.

Bees were starving because their numbers were way over carrying capacity and it was that way on most of the hill country.

Two years of plentiful rain pushed bee populations to levels not seen by an octagenarian bee keeper. May not have been the drought. But someone is skewing the data. The bees don't lie.

Rusty, then you already know that this time of year is "swarm season", when hives split 1 or more times, part of their drive to procreate. So seeing higher numbers in the 1st half of the year (Spring warm up) is not uncommon.

I remember your post about bee's on your corn, I didn't doubt what you said, but from the photo you posted, didn't look like a large amount of bees, more like your local hive doing what it had to.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide