Forums46
Topics538,295
Posts9,735,428
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6734318 04/13/17 09:19 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
"You are arguing with ranch and landowners who have made their decisions"- Your words.

That was a reply to your words. If you forgot you wrote them there they are again, they are also three posts north of here.

When I hunt on someone else's land, I follow that person's rules to the letter. In the scenario (that has happened) where I've been asked to come hog hunt, I ask about restrictions. If they have a no AR policy I will try to advise that they can be a valuable tool for the job. Maybe it changes their mind. If it does not, I go right back to following their rules to the letter, and leave the AR in the truck. In the case of deer, which this thread was started about, there are situations where I might prefer an AR, might.

Really, I'm defending the rifle type, and the guys that use them exclusively. They really enjoy them, and prefer them, and are responsible hunters and shooters. It's a shame they have a prejudice against them.

That's why we seem to be talking past each other when we are really not.You are defending ALL guys who use them exclusively. I am not castigating all who use them. But, just like not ALL of them are idiots,not ALL of them are defensible. A bunch of them are idiots. Many ranchers know this because they have seen it. In fact,they believe there are are disproportionate number of them who are idiots compared to the guys who show up with something other than ARs. Many have posted that very thing on this thread. Thus, they don't want them on their ranches. This is the answer to the OPs question. Whether you agree with it or not. Or think it's a correct judgment. Or like it or not.

Fair or not in your eyes,that's just the way it is.

You seem to want me and anyone else who points this out to cry "Uncle!" and say this is not the case in the real world. When it is.

No not all of them are defensible, same as not every bow hunter, lever action hunter, pump action hunter, and bolt action hunter are defensible.

We are talking past each other, because as usual, you write, and you don't read. Or you read what is not there. Probably talk and don't listen as well.

Case in point. I never denied that's the way it is, I did however offer a more than one solution to make it not be the way it is anymore. You however just want to say "that's just the way it is" yet not come up with any way of correcting it. Type of guy that always finds the problem but is never the guy that finds the solution.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Huntmaster] #6734334 04/13/17 09:26 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
Lots of guys can shoot a target; but they shoot at deer pitiful. I've seen it countless times.
But, have you ever been in a blind where it's so quiet you can hear a gnat breathing and something touch that tons of exposed metal on a AR? Or not be able to get a good solid set on the base of the gun as it rests on the window because of the magazine? Gizmos sticking out all over get hung up everywhere. And like I said before-they show no love.

That's a silly argument, all kinds of stupid things happen to make noise in a blind, an no, with the several guys I've guided who hunted with A black gun I've never seen a guy hang up on a gizmo, and if you look real close you will see that there's quite a bit of forearm in front of the magazine to take a rest on. Did see a guy who had rolled his chair over his sling once, but we both survived.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734385 04/13/17 10:01 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Question for the AR deer hunters:

Do you guys mostly use them in a blind hunting type situation, or one in which you are banking on being able to get prone in order to make the shot? Just curious.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734410 04/13/17 10:28 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
JG,
I do not hunt with an AR, but my wife and I use non-traditional bolt rifles whether in a blind, prone, with sticks or off a knee.

Here she is with her 14# GA Precision on the 300 yard line at Fort Wolters when they used to host matches.

One of my favorite photos of her, using a sling for support on a cull hunt.

I wear Wrangler Riggs work pants, a Stetson, Justin boots and t-shirt with coveralls. The rifles are used because they are durable, accurate, and reliable. The 1950 Win M70 I used growing and shot many deer with is still in the safe, but long retired. These are far superior tools for the task.

In a blind-

Here is a good example of why performance characteristics are more important to me than fancy wood. Hiking the mountains in Colorado, using a tripod shooting stick with a Hog Saddle.

Prone in a grass strip in the middle of a wheat field.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734452 04/13/17 11:21 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Real men use wood stocked rifles in caliber 223 while wearing 'BLUE" jeans to hunt Deer.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734601 04/14/17 01:37 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Jeff understands the purpose of a tool.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734662 04/14/17 02:33 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I think we're good for another 31 pages. Don't get weak now!

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: J.G.] #6734688 04/14/17 03:08 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
"You are arguing with ranch and landowners who have made their decisions"- Your words.

That was a reply to your words. If you forgot you wrote them there they are again, they are also three posts north of here.

When I hunt on someone else's land, I follow that person's rules to the letter. In the scenario (that has happened) where I've been asked to come hog hunt, I ask about restrictions. If they have a no AR policy I will try to advise that they can be a valuable tool for the job. Maybe it changes their mind. If it does not, I go right back to following their rules to the letter, and leave the AR in the truck. In the case of deer, which this thread was started about, there are situations where I might prefer an AR, might.

Really, I'm defending the rifle type, and the guys that use them exclusively. They really enjoy them, and prefer them, and are responsible hunters and shooters. It's a shame they have a prejudice against them.

That's why we seem to be talking past each other when we are really not.You are defending ALL guys who use them exclusively. I am not castigating all who use them. But, just like not ALL of them are idiots,not ALL of them are defensible. A bunch of them are idiots. Many ranchers know this because they have seen it. In fact,they believe there are are disproportionate number of them who are idiots compared to the guys who show up with something other than ARs. Many have posted that very thing on this thread. Thus, they don't want them on their ranches. This is the answer to the OPs question. Whether you agree with it or not. Or think it's a correct judgment. Or like it or not.

You seem to want me and anyone else who points this out to cry "Uncle!" and say this is not the case in the real world. When it is.

No not all of them are defensible, same as not every bow hunter, lever action hunter, pump action hunter, and bolt action hunter are defensible.

We are talking past each other, because as usual, you write, and you don't read. Or you read what is not there. Probably talk and don't listen as well.

Case in point. I never denied that's the way it is, I did however offer a more than one solution to make it not be the way it is anymore. You however just want to say "that's just the way it is" yet not come up with any way of correcting it. Type of guy that always finds the problem but is never the guy that finds the solution.

And you are the type of guy who knows everything about everything. And anyone who doesn't agree is a problem in your mind. Listen closely for the 5th time: The experience of many ranchers and landowners is that MORE AR HUNTERS ARE IDIOTS PERCENTAGE WISE THAN FOLKS WHO USE BOWS, BOLT GUNS,LEVER GUNS AND PUMP GUNS. THAT'S WHY THEY DON'T ALLOW AR HUNTERS BUT DO ALLOW THE OTHER FOLKS. Several landowners have come on this thread and explained that based on their own experiences.

I capitalized that for emphasis so you would quit saying over and over and over again that there can be idiots who use any weapon. That is simply another of your repeated "Captain Obvious" statements (other cases in point: "It's not the rifle's fault" and "Landowners have the right to do what they want on their property but not to tell others what to do on their property") that mean nothing to this discussion. Why you keep making them over and over and over is a mystery. Either you do not have the mental capacity to see such statements miss the point entirely or you think everyone else lacks the mental capacity to discern it. I don't know which.

My solution is the same as the other ranchers: I don't allow them on my place for deer hunting. As always, the solution for the idiots is to stop being idiots.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734724 04/14/17 03:53 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Let's see. What is the difference between the results of these two hunts?

One hog was killed with a single shot 7mm mag with not much of a way to add NV, lasers, IR lights etc.

The other was killed with a SBR 223 with many ways to added any extra item that I want to add. The end result is a dead pig.

Ok, let's talk Accuracy! Here is a 5 shot group out of a AR creedmoor.

And a equally expensive Accuracy International 308 bolt gun

Not much difference.....

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6734750 04/14/17 04:37 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

And you are the type of guy who knows everything about everything. And anyone who doesn't agree is a problem in your mind. Listen closely for the 5th time: The experience of many ranchers and landowners is that MORE AR HUNTERS ARE IDIOTS PERCENTAGE WISE THAN FOLKS WHO USE BOWS, BOLT GUNS,LEVER GUNS AND PUMP GUNS. THAT'S WHY THEY DON'T ALLOW AR HUNTERS BUT DO ALLOW THE OTHER FOLKS. Several landowners have come on this thread and explained that based on their own experiences.

I capitalized that for emphasis so you would quit saying over and over and over again that there can be idiots who use any weapon. That is simply another of your repeated "Captain Obvious" statements (other cases in point: "It's not the rifle's fault" and "Landowners have the right to do what they want on their property but not to tell others what to do on their property") that mean nothing to this discussion. Why you keep making them over and over and over is a mystery. Either you do not have the mental capacity to see such statements miss the point entirely or you think everyone else lacks the mental capacity to discern it. I don't know which.

My solution is the same as the other ranchers: I don't allow them on my place for deer hunting. As always, the solution for the idiots is to stop being idiots.

Another solution might be to treat each individual as the person they are. Who knows, you might even get to know somebody who adds value to your life. I understand the concept of a minimum caliber, makes perfect sense to me, but to disqualify someone because of the type of gun they shoot is short sighted. I think that's the only point anyone is trying to make. The benefits of an open mind can be legion.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6734820 04/14/17 11:55 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
And you are the type of guy who knows everything about everything. And anyone who doesn't agree is a problem in your mind.

It's funny you say that. That perfectly describes you. And it shows everywhere you go all over the forum. But you're to blind to see it through your own arrogance.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: jeffbird] #6734828 04/14/17 12:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Jeffbird, as usual we are reading from the same sheet of music. I can say, with much experience, MOST hunters out there do not practice from modified positions. It shows every time I host a rifle match. And when I'm teaching for the day we get to that section. Once I get those guys to make hits out to 400 yards from those positions, you reply see their face light up once they "get it".

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: J.G.] #6734855 04/14/17 12:45 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
And you are the type of guy who knows everything about everything. And anyone who doesn't agree is a problem in your mind.

It's funny you say that. That perfectly describes you. And it shows everywhere you go all over the forum. But you're to blind to see it through your own arrogance.

X2

Not allowing ARs on your land is only because you don't hunt with them, not because of past experiences that were negative. You can deny it all you want, but we all know your MO. You keep trying in this thread to make your closing argument to win the case, but the jury is not buying what your selling counselor.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 04/14/17 07:18 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734862 04/14/17 12:54 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Actually looking at your glass as half full-you two guys have a lot in common, you both have close to 20,000 posts, which is a major feat in itself; you both post at odd times, which means your not working at that time or have a weird job, and you both like to talk a lot. So, that's a good thing.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Huntmaster] #6734902 04/14/17 01:47 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Actually looking at your glass as half full-you two guys have a lot in common, you both have close to 20,000 posts, which is a major feat in itself; you both post at odd times, which means your not working at that time or have a weird job, and you both like to talk a lot. So, that's a good thing.

With me, i' m postaddic ... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734916 04/14/17 01:59 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
popcorn

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: 1860.colt] #6734941 04/14/17 02:32 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45

With me, i' m postaddic ... flag

Yep, scratch but, i got cheap posts, & they go fast... bolt flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: J.G.] #6734973 04/14/17 03:11 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Man, ain't that the truth. Wow...just wow.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6735020 04/14/17 04:25 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
There is a difference in the guy that shows up
to hunt with an ar and the guy that shows up with lights, lasers, scope, 45deg offset iron sights, and a coffee maker on his gun.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: bo3] #6735026 04/14/17 04:36 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: bo323
to hunt with an ar and the guy that shows up with lights, lasers, scope, 45deg offset iron sights, and a coffee maker on his gun.

Coffee maker? Where can I get that?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6735036 04/14/17 04:49 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

I'm next in line if they have 2!

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 04/14/17 05:55 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6735038 04/14/17 04:49 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Idk but I bet someone makes one. Hell, someone made a sharps with a coffee grinder in the stock.

Last edited by bo323; 04/14/17 04:52 PM.
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6735092 04/14/17 06:16 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
This has been pretty rich to read... I think we should further this critique by also considering whether boxers or briefs will impact one's hunting skills and/or perceived hunting skills as viewed by others.

Charlie

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: CharlieCTx] #6735102 04/14/17 06:37 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
This has been pretty rich to read... I think we should further this critique by also considering whether boxers or briefs will impact one's hunting skills and/or perceived hunting skills as viewed by others.

Charlie

Nope! You're not giving enough time for those who like to go "commando"..... trout

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6735107 04/14/17 06:39 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
O it has to be boxers, don't get in a wad as easy. I am sure some of the folks here wear briefs

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide