Forums46
Topics538,304
Posts9,735,533
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Huntmaster] #6733657 04/13/17 11:21 AM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
You can't fall in love with an AR, it's cold, black, and has no emotion. Just slam, bam, and thank you mam. An old bolt with scars, dent, scratches will talk to you for years. Just like it did with your dad and his dad.

I like this. Well put up

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: titan2232] #6733697 04/13/17 12:15 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: titan2232
You can't fall in love with an AR, it's cold, black, and has no emotion. Just slam, bam, and thank you mam. An old bolt with scars, dent, scratches will talk to you for years. Just like it did with your dad and his dad.

I like this. Well put up
Very true. It will never sound as smooth as an old Winchester lever action. It will never look as good as a pre 64 Model 70 or an old Savage model 99.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6733744 04/13/17 01:16 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I bet a lot of you guys who are concerned with how they look have to wear matching camo top and bottom, and get your truck detailed every time you come back from a hunt.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: RockinU] #6733750 04/13/17 01:23 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: RockinU
I bet a lot of you guys who are concerned with how they look have to wear matching camo top and bottom, and get your truck detailed every time you come back from a hunt.
No, I like the way old rifles feel. I like the smoothness of their actions. I like the way the wood stocks take on their own look after many years of carry. I like the way the blueing matures after many years of oiling and wear. And for your information I wear jeans hunting and have never had my truck detailed.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: don k] #6733756 04/13/17 01:27 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: don k
No, I like the way old rifles feel. I like the smoothness of their actions. I like the way the wood stocks take on their own look after many years of carry. I like the way the blueing matures after many years of oiling and wear. And for your information I wear jeans hunting and have never had my truck detailed.

Amen to that brother!

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6733777 04/13/17 01:49 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: JSAPP
I am from Louisiana move to Texas about 4 years ago. And in Louisiana it isn't a big deal to hunt with AR style rifles. But here in Texas I see a lot of ranches won't let you hunt with them. What's the deal with this?

welcome ta texas HF rofl it can be very intertaining...
confused2 From what i been reading on here & your statement, looks like they putten a ban on AR's, popcorn flag

Last edited by colt.45; 04/13/17 01:51 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: don k] #6733821 04/13/17 02:34 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: don k

Well, each to their own. The wood stock from my favorite rifle is in a closet, having been replaced by a HS Precision years ago, but man it shoots, and has given me some special memories. One of my others the blued barrel has been cerakoted black to protect some of those "character marks" it got from too much time in a rack on rough ranch roads, but it's ultra reliable.

As for jeans, I've heard deer can see blue really well...you might get busted on the way to the stand. Just sayin...

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: RockinU] #6733841 04/13/17 02:46 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Our matching camo and truck detailing (neither of those are accurate by my account) would cost far less than your fancy black rifles, extended mags, suppressors, and flipped out mirror dodge truck.

I'll give you one thing though. I bet your flat bill hat is fairly cheap compared to your sparkly pants up

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Huntmaster] #6733862 04/13/17 03:11 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Excellent post!

You nailed it

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: txtrophy85] #6733929 04/13/17 03:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Who cares what a guy's rifle looks like or how it cycles?

What's more important, is can he hit what he means to hit all, or most, of the time.

Myself, and I bet every single hunting guide on the face of the earth have priority #1 as can this hunter put a bullet where it goes? If he can, every other factor after that is ancillary.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: J.G.] #6734006 04/13/17 04:51 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

What's more important, is can he hit what he means to hit all, or most, of the time.

Myself, and I bet every single hunting guide on the face of the earth have priority #1 as can this hunter put a bullet where it goes? If he can, every other factor after that is ancillary.

DARNED STRAIGHT!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: titan2232] #6734039 04/13/17 05:20 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: titan2232

Our matching camo and truck detailing (neither of those are accurate by my account) would cost far less than your fancy black rifles, extended mags, suppressors, and flipped out mirror dodge truck.

I'll give you one thing though. I bet your flat bill hat is fairly cheap compared to your sparkly pants up

Well, if your implication is that I'm redneck, I'll give you that, but you missed the generation a bit, I drive a Chevy and wear 13mwz's, but I sure don't mind that my hands are rough and dirty when I head home every evening.

As for suppressors, I just wish they'd been this available much sooner, then maybe I wouldn't have had to live with this tinnitus the last 30 years.

I appreciate you lettin me know a little about you though, I'll make a note so I can remember it.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734117 04/13/17 06:37 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6734164 04/13/17 07:16 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

DARNED STRAIGHT!

Of course that's priority #1. But, again, they have no way to know the answer as to who can and who can't. So they make judgments they think are best for them based on their experiences. Guides and outfitters judge folks based on a lot of stuff.

Do clients show up loud talking?
Do clients show up who have to have a beer/drink in their hand 24/7?
Do clients show up wearing Carrhart overalls/jackets and rubber boots?
Do clients show up with a big beer belly smoking cigs?
Do clients show up........? ...........? ..........?

There's a million of 'em.

They make judgments accordingly. They are not always correct - obviously. But they make them because they
have to. One of them is many don't want AR shooters. Again, they aren't doing it to tick people off. Agree with them or not, they have their reasons.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6734190 04/13/17 07:36 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That is a preconceived notion of people. That is no fault of a rifle.

A way to settle it is have their AR carrying hunters prove they can hit, same as any other type of rifle that the hunter shows up with. If they're not willing to set that up, then a minimum caliber requirement is all that is reasonable in my opinion.

Of course I have to ask what guys are bringing to my facility. Rifle, optic, and ammo. I've seen old wood stocks, high speed low drag bolt actions, plain vanilla bolt actions, Ruger RPR, and of course ARs of all types. If a guy is bringing an AR type rifle, I think nothing of it. It cycles itself, that's it.

(And the worst shooting rifle has not been an AR type, by the way)

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734201 04/13/17 07:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have never said and never will say a rifle is at fault for anything. Ever. That's a silly thought and argument.

You are arguing with ranch and landowners who have made their decisions. They are making people decisions , not rifle decisions. You are basically trying to say they are wrong to do so.

You have a right to your opinion.

They have a right to theirs.

The OP asked why. He has gotten his answers. So has everyone.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6734231 04/13/17 07:54 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I guess you don't know, I'll never tell a man what he can, or cannot do on his own land. And I expect the same in return.

The news is, these rifles are far from going away. The younger crowd gravitate toward them. And some of the veteran hunters have found a good use for them. And in another 30 years when the current generation of die hard AR haters are too old to hunt, there's going to be a higher percentage of hunters toting AR type rifles, than there are now. Associating "spray and pray", "tacticool", bad shooters to the rifle, is a mindset that needs to change. Only way to change it is to get more people practicing with their rifle of choice, be safe, be responsible, and start shedding a positive light on the type of rifle.

I have no doubt there are plenty of land owners that would frown upon a bolt action rifle sitting in a chassis. It looks like an AR, but it's not, and they still don't like it. Mindset.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: J.G.] #6734246 04/13/17 08:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I guess you don't know, I'll never tell a man what he can, or cannot do on his own land. And I expect the same in return.

Based on that statement, I don't understand your angst. The whole topic is about ranchers having rules for what they do/don't allow on their own land. And why.

Not one mention has been made of anyone proposing to tell anyone else what to do on their own land.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6734268 04/13/17 08:28 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
"You are arguing with ranch and landowners who have made their decisions"- Your words.

That was a reply to your words. If you forgot you wrote them there they are again, they are also three posts north of here.

When I hunt on someone else's land, I follow that person's rules to the letter. In the scenario (that has happened) where I've been asked to come hog hunt, I ask about restrictions. If they have a no AR policy I will try to advise that they can be a valuable tool for the job. Maybe it changes their mind. If it does not, I go right back to following their rules to the letter, and leave the AR in the truck. In the case of deer, which this thread was started about, there are situations where I might prefer an AR, might.

Really, I'm defending the rifle type, and the guys that use them exclusively. They really enjoy them, and prefer them, and are responsible hunters and shooters. It's a shame they have a prejudice against them.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: J.G.] #6734270 04/13/17 08:28 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

The news is, these rifles are far from going away. The younger crowd gravitate toward them. And some of the veteran hunters have found a good use for them. And in another 30 years when the current generation of die hard AR haters are too old to hunt, there's going to be a higher percentage of hunters toting AR type rifles, than there are now. Associating "spray and pray", "tacticool", bad shooters to the rifle, is a mindset that needs to change. Only way to change it is to get more people practicing with their rifle of choice, be safe, be responsible, and start shedding a positive light on the type of rifle.

Exactly. ARs are like Leatherman multi-tools; yeah, I could carry a pocket knife, linesman pliers, and multi-tipped screwdriver instead, but then I have to carry three things, not one. A decent AR is not much more than a bolt-gun these days, and you get a rifle that is fun/cheap to plink with, capable of taking small-to-medium-sized game, and can be used for self-defense. Three items in one. For a lot of newbies on budgets, it makes sense to not have to buy two or three guns when you can buy one.

I've seen plenty of bad hunters show up with gorgeous bolt-action, wood-stocked guns up to and including Weatherby Mark Vs, Kleinguenthers, Kimbers, etc. While I don't normally hunt with my AR (6.8, not 5.56), I have killed about 20 deer with it, but am most certainly not a spray-pray type hunter.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734286 04/13/17 08:47 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Lots of guys can shoot a target; but they shoot at deer pitiful. I've seen it countless times.
But, have you ever been in a blind where it's so quiet you can hear a gnat breathing and something touch that tons of exposed metal on a AR? Or not be able to get a good solid set on the base of the gun as it rests on the window because of the magazine? Gizmos sticking out all over get hung up everywhere. And like I said before-they show no love.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: J.G.] #6734294 04/13/17 08:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
"You are arguing with ranch and landowners who have made their decisions"- Your words.

That was a reply to your words. If you forgot you wrote them there they are again, they are also three posts north of here.

When I hunt on someone else's land, I follow that person's rules to the letter. In the scenario (that has happened) where I've been asked to come hog hunt, I ask about restrictions. If they have a no AR policy I will try to advise that they can be a valuable tool for the job. Maybe it changes their mind. If it does not, I go right back to following their rules to the letter, and leave the AR in the truck. In the case of deer, which this thread was started about, there are situations where I might prefer an AR, might.

Really, I'm defending the rifle type, and the guys that use them exclusively. They really enjoy them, and prefer them, and are responsible hunters and shooters. It's a shame they have a prejudice against them.

That's why we seem to be talking past each other when we are really not.You are defending ALL guys who use them exclusively. I am not castigating all who use them. But, just like not ALL of them are idiots,not ALL of them are defensible. A bunch of them are idiots. Many ranchers know this because they have seen it. In fact,they believe there are are disproportionate number of them who are idiots compared to the guys who show up with something other than ARs. Many have posted that very thing on this thread. Thus, they don't want them on their ranches. This is the answer to the OPs question. Whether you agree with it or not. Or think it's a correct judgment. Or like it or not.

Fair or not in your eyes,that's just the way it is.

You seem to want me and anyone else who points this out to cry "Uncle!" and say this is not the case in the real world. When it is.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734297 04/13/17 09:01 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
When I see a man or woman walk into the Carter's Country by my house with a black gun a certain thought goes through my head. Right or wrong most everyone inside that store/gun range think the same thing as well.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6734299 04/13/17 09:02 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6734316 04/13/17 09:18 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

DARNED STRAIGHT!

Of course that's priority #1. But, again, they have no way to know the answer as to who can and who can't. So they make judgments they think are best for them based on their experiences. Guides and outfitters judge folks based on a lot of stuff.

Do clients show up loud talking?
Do clients show up who have to have a beer/drink in their hand 24/7?
Do clients show up wearing Carrhart overalls/jackets and rubber boots?
Do clients show up with a big beer belly smoking cigs?
Do clients show up........? ...........? ..........?

There's a million of 'em.

They make judgments accordingly. They are not always correct - obviously. But they make them because they
have to. One of them is many don't want AR shooters. Again, they aren't doing it to tick people off. Agree with them or not, they have their reasons.

That's not altogether accurate. I've never left camp with a guy that I haven't seen shoot, or somebody who I really trust has seen shoot. It's necessary to make decisions about where and how you are going to take them hunting, and what kind of range limitations you are going to place on them.

As a matter of fact, 2 guys that I have guided that shoot black guns ( one a .308, the other a 6.5 creedmore) are among the few that I don't put many limitations on at all. Pretty danged talented shooters both.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide