Forums46
Topics538,301
Posts9,735,482
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Simple Searcher] #6729896 04/09/17 02:35 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: bo323
Back on topic. Ar hunters are a stereotype. We all judge people based on first impressions. Shallow people can't get beyond the stereotype. I'm sorry to say but if you shown up in a deer camp with an ar and tactical pants you will be stereotyped same as the guy that shows up with an uber mag and starts bragging on it.

Not shallow at all. A decision based on a high probability from experience. It is not shallow because a range has to change their rules for safety sake and build unrealistic berms and barricades to contain bullets. Or having the cops called because the ranch 1 mile way has bullets zinging by, not shallow. A rancher with a dead cow right after the night time AR pigs hunters came through, not shallow, expensive.
The problem with this thread is that there are a lot of AR hunters that are responsible out there. And they all want to give their spill about how safe and responsible they are (I get it, I AR hunt too), and try to defend the masses with their story of the bolt gun guy that swung a muzzle their way, or the big caliber guy that couldn't hit crap.
ARs are here to stay, 75% or more of all rifle racks at the gun shops are black guns. Everyone needs to learn some safety and responsibility, not just the AR guys.

Don't confuse the masses with logic......It's a thread killer! loser8

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6729938 04/09/17 03:17 PM
P
papa45 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: JSAPP
I am from Louisiana move to Texas about 4 years ago. And in Louisiana it isn't a big deal to hunt with AR style rifles. But here in Texas I see a lot of ranches won't let you hunt with them. What's the deal with this?

What's the deal with this? After 150 replies, I hope you have your answer.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6729947 04/09/17 03:23 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
And I thought HF topic threads were long.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Curtis] #6729960 04/09/17 03:38 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Curtis
And I thought HF topic threads were long.

They are the same conversation. Each group telling the other group that the way they do things is better.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6729991 04/09/17 04:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Never understood why so many people get so worked up/bothered by internet discussions just because they may have some back-and-forth "heat" to them.

1)It's just an internet forum. Ain't nobody gonna bite anybody. If a thread upsets your sensibilities there are several easy options - not clicking on the "offensive" thread comes to mind.

2)It's hilarious to see folks on here who are obviously all frothing at the mouth calling everyone else "snowflakes", when they are obviously genuinely butthurt simply because someone disagreed with them on a internet forum. Lol, who's the real "snowflake"?

3)With some "heat" always comes "light". Threads with a little "back-and-forth" with different opinions are always a place to discover new perspectives and test old ones. For both "sides".

4)Longer discussion threads are simply more entertaining and engaging. This thread has 1773 views and 157 responses. And that's a bad thing? What do you gripers want? A forum full of "Here's what I'm eating" threads with 5 responses? confused2

Many folks just want to post up, have everyone else agree that they are absolutely spot-on correct, and declare them King of the Topic. It simply doesn't work that way. And it would be a boring place if it did.

Maybe I just enjoy the "back-and-forth" because of my profession IDK.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: DH3] #6729992 04/09/17 04:32 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: DH3
The AR offers the opportunity for multiple shots on deer. For that reason, some individuals will empty a magazine at an animal that is out of range or is escaping after a poor first shot.
The military decided to go with the spray shot technique after deciding that marksmanship was old fashioned and that new recruits were better off with the shotgun approach. IMO, a sad decision for all concerned.

scratch My military training different than yours... & prior ta military hunting was old school, .45 kentucky rifle... Can see point of view bye land owners... Hunted hogs (a lot tougher than deer), with my AR at WMA... .223 with cheap 55gr fmj & hp, had no problems with taking hogs... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6730015 04/09/17 05:05 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Never understood why so many people get so worked up/bothered by internet discussions just because they may have some back-and-forth "heat" to them.

1)It's just an internet forum. Ain't nobody gonna bite anybody. If a thread upsets your sensibilities there are several easy options - not clicking on the "offensive" thread comes to mind.

2)It's hilarious to see folks on here who are obviously all frothing at the mouth calling everyone else "snowflakes", when they are obviously genuinely butthurt simply because someone disagreed with them on a internet forum. Lol, who's the real "snowflake"?

3)With some "heat" always comes "light". Threads with a little "back-and-forth" with different opinions are always a place to discover new perspectives and test old ones. For both "sides".

4)Longer discussion threads are simply more entertaining and engaging. This thread has 1773 views and 157 responses. And that's a bad thing? What do you gripers want? A forum full of "Here's what I'm eating" threads with 5 responses? confused2

Many folks just want to post up, have everyone else agree that they are absolutely spot-on correct, and declare them King of the Topic. It simply doesn't work that way. And it would be a boring place if it did.

Maybe I just enjoy the "back-and-forth" because of my profession IDK.....

I agree. If one is able to read an opposing point of view with an open mind, there is always the opportunity to learn, if not new information, at least about a different perspective. These threads are much more interesting than "look what I did/pat on the back" threads. They are OK, but not particularly thought provoking. I really don't understand why people get so emotional over opposing view points, in this thread or others...if your not open to at least hearing another idea, maybe read a book or something.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6730035 04/09/17 05:33 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
^^^ problem with having differing view points is it requires some to admit they might have had a wrong view point, not always, but hat can be a inevitable in some discussions (black is not white and white is not black, just like 2+2 can not equal 5) Getting someone to admit they are wrong is really problematic.

Similarly, if the "having differing view points" doesn't require one to admit they might have been wrong (different shades of grey or blue, what flavor of ice cream is the best, and other subjective type arguments) it certainly requires an open mind, something the schools have seemed to quash in a lot of students (who have now grown up or are growing up, physically but not necessarily mentally). I know higher education is supposed to foster open mindedness and free thought, but it seems some of the majors of study do nothing more than promote group think.

Which brings me back to saying having differing view points can be hard for some people to accept. For the most part the AR in deer hunting argument is one of taste, not right/wrong (sure one could argue that a fmj .223 isn't an effective deer killing bullet) just like any argument that is made about HF/lf, chevy/ford, camo/no camp, ozonics/hunting the wind, and the list can go on and on....

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Texas buckeye] #6730070 04/09/17 06:17 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
^^^ problem with having differing view points is it requires some to admit they might have had a wrong view point, not always, but hat can be a inevitable in some discussions (black is not white and white is not black, just like 2+2 can not equal 5) Getting someone to admit they are wrong is really problematic.

Similarly, if the "having differing view points" doesn't require one to admit they might have been wrong (different shades of grey or blue, what flavor of ice cream is the best, and other subjective type arguments) it certainly requires an open mind, something the schools have seemed to quash in a lot of students (who have now grown up or are growing up, physically but not necessarily mentally). I know higher education is supposed to foster open mindedness and free thought, but it seems some of the majors of study do nothing more than promote group think.

Which brings me back to saying having differing view points can be hard for some people to accept. For the most part the AR in deer hunting argument is one of taste, not right/wrong (sure one could argue that a fmj .223 isn't an effective deer killing bullet) just like any argument that is made about HF/lf, chevy/ford, camo/no camp, ozonics/hunting the wind, and the list can go on and on....

Part of the reason people do get so defensive about differing viewpoints is because they don't understand the difference between "wrong", and "not right for me". I'm not going to tell anyone they can't hunt with a .223, I mean it is legal, and as a matter of fact I've made quite a bit of money tracking deer shot with a .223, but it's not the right choice for my hunting, nor do I even choose for my kids to hunt with it (and they love shooting an AR). So my point of view is that .223 is inadequate, but I am secure enough that I'm not going to get bent out of shape at someone who prefers to hunt deer with one. I'm going to give them my number, and think about what I might buy with the $400 they could potentially pay me for finding their deer, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape. grin

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6730072 04/09/17 06:18 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Well, I don't argue things very strenuously if I feel they are simply "Ford/Chevy" type deals. Some are
obviously in that category. Some are not - even though many who think they have the "right" side of the topic want to characterize them as such.

If I am "into" a discussion, IMO it is more than a "Ford/Chevy" debate. I can certainly accept that others feel differently, but that doesn't make them right just because they characterize it as such.

This topic provided a couple of good examples.

A .223 is either an effective deer round or it isn't. The discussion is more than academic, because whether one chooses to hunt deer with one or doesn't has real consequences for both the .223 user and the deer they hunt.

Many AR shooters either have issues that translate poorly in the hunting field or they don't. Again, a real-world topic with real-world consequences for those that own hunting properties.

So IMO much more than a "Ford/Chevy" debate about preferences.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6730127 04/09/17 07:38 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

A .223 is either an effective deer round or it isn't.

I have to disagree with you there. It has more to do with the bullet than the cartridge. In terms of "effectiveness" a 223 with a bullet designed for deer hunting is a whole different animal than a 223 with an FMJ or a bullet designed for varmints.

Another variable is the deer hunting conditions. Under controlled conditions, limited range, undisturbed deer, etc. the 223 can be a very effective deer killer.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6730136 04/09/17 07:56 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
How does everyone feel about semi auto pistols vs. revolvers? If a guy does a mag dump out of a Semi auto pistol, does he get the same look as the "guy" that does a mag dump out of an AR? For those that don't like ARs, do you own semi auto pistols?

This whole thread was about AR Style rifles and hunting.(not necessarily .223 caliber)Currently I own ARs in the following calibers: .22, 9mm, .223, 6.8 SPC and 6.5 creedmoor. I also use barrels from 10.5" up to 22". I also run suppressors on each of them. Each one has its own job or purpose. Whether it's shooting coons at 20 yards or shooting steel at a 1000 yards.

Before I switched over to hunting with ARs, I was using s 7mm TC Encore(Single shot). Once we started getting hogs, it became easier to shoot with a semi auto. Plus, the ARs make it easier to mount lights, IR lasers, NV/thermals etc.

Carry one

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JJH] #6730138 04/09/17 07:59 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: JJH

A .223 is either an effective deer round or it isn't.

I have to disagree with you there. It has more to do with the bullet than the cartridge. In terms of "effectiveness" a 223 with a bullet designed for deer hunting is a whole different animal than a 223 with an FMJ or a bullet designed for varmints.

Another variable is the deer hunting conditions. Under controlled conditions, limited range, undisturbed deer, etc. the 223 can be a very effective deer killer.

Correct. Example - my brother-in-law. We've hunted our place in S Texas for about 20 yrs together and all he has ever used is an old 223 bolt gun passed down to him. In all these years he's lost 1 deer and that was his fault for taking that shot. He knows the gun's limitations. Shoots a good deer bullet. Keeps shots under 150 yrds (75-100 yrd shots most of the time). No, he doesn't take that gun to West Texas mule deer hunting, he takes his 270...which he's not very good with. roflmao I don't deer hunt with a 223 but he sure does good with his.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6730151 04/09/17 08:36 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
[quote=bo323]Back on topic. Ar hunters are a stereotype. We all judge people based on first impressions. Shallow people can't get beyond the stereotype. I'm sorry to say but if you shown up in a deer camp with an ar and tactical pants you will be stereotyped same as the guy that shows up with an uber mag and starts bragging on it.

Not shallow at all. A decision based on a high probability from experience. It is not shallow because a range has to change their rules for safety sake and build unrealistic berms and barricades to contain bullets. Or having the cops called because the ranch 1 mile way has bullets zinging by, not shallow. A rancher with a dead cow right after the night time AR pigs hunters came through, not shallow, expensive.
The problem with this thread is that there are a lot of AR hunters that are responsible out there. And they all want to give their spill about how safe and responsible they are (I get it, I AR hunt too), and try to defend the masses with their story of the bolt gun guy that swung a muzzle their way, or the big caliber guy that couldn't hit crap.
ARs are here to stay, 75% or more of all rifle racks at the gun shops are black guns. Everyone needs to learn some safety and responsibility, not just the AR guys.

Don't confuse the masses with logic......It's a thread killer! loser8 [/quote

I agree with you. Ar hunters get a bad rep because everyone is watching them. They are the new kids. Some people remember the good ones but e everyone remembers the bad ones. A few idiots are ruining it for everyone else.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6730154 04/09/17 08:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The energy of a .243 bullet at 200 yards, a caliber that some might question as being sufficient for deer, is roughly the same as the muzzle energy of the best performing .223 bullet. That is to say that, if you could shoot a deer with a .223 that's less than a foot away, the energy produced by the speeding bullet would be roughly equal to a .243 bullet at 200 yards.

The truth is always in the math.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6730162 04/09/17 09:00 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Personally if I owned a deer lease I would not allow 223/556 for deer but no problem for hogs or coyotes.

That goes for a bolt gun also.

I think the old school deer hunters are the ones that have a dislike for AR's. An AR is the modern sporting rifle now and in my opinion it is the weapon to own if you hunt pigs. These dumbarse old farts who think otherwise need to move on with technology and advancement or retire already. Most of them just get drunk and sit in a box and take target practice on a deer and they look down on others as non hunters. lets see one of those old farts go stalk a pig in the woods and come up face to face at 30 yards with a 30-06 bolt and see what happens if you get charged.

Lets have them tell that to some of the professional pig hunters on here. You cant join our lease because you have shot 5000 pigs with an AR. Those guys are pros with AR's so their AR theory that it is for jackoffs is for idiots.

My AR is my main pig hunting weapon. I dont want to stalk pigs at close quarters in the forest with my 30-06. Thats crazy and stupid!

Last edited by Bigfoot; 04/09/17 09:02 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6730172 04/09/17 09:05 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
The dialogue seems to be conflating AR with 223/5.56, and those really are two distinct issues, rifles vs. round.

AR's and variants such as the SCAR 17 come in 308 as well.

Does that make any difference to the analysis?

I've not used 223 for hunting, so will not opine on that, but certainly would be comfortable a SCAR 17 could cleanly kill a deer or a pig without any trouble.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6730213 04/09/17 09:58 PM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I wonder if this same conversation went on during the change from single shot muzzle, breech load, lever action, bolts, auto.
The advancement to technology and design. Dah

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: jeffbird] #6730216 04/09/17 10:00 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
The dialogue seems to be conflating AR with 223/5.56, and those really are two distinct issues, rifles vs. round.

Given the caliber is sufficient to deliver a reliable kill shot, then yes, the need to carry a gun capable of firing so many rounds might come into question.

Of course, the elephant in the room is why carry a "combat gun" to shoot deer? But then, maybe that's why words like " tactical" or "modern sporting rifle" are now preferred in some circles.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/09/17 10:49 PM.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Dalee7892] #6730233 04/09/17 10:26 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
I wonder if this same conversation went on during the change from single shot muzzle, breech load, lever action, bolts, auto.
The advancement to technology and design. Dah

Your comment brings up a very good question.

Colt introduced the first civilian version of the ArmaLite (AR) 15 rifle way back in 1964. And yet, if you had carried one when I first began hunting deer as a teenager some ten years later, someone might have questioned your sanity.

Why it took decades for these rifles to catch the attention of so many deer hunters is a very good question.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Bigfoot] #6730276 04/09/17 11:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Personally if I owned a deer lease I would not allow 223/556 for deer but no problem for hogs or coyotes.

I think the old school deer hunters are the ones that have a dislike for AR's. An AR is the modern sporting rifle now and in my opinion it is the weapon to own if you hunt pigs. These dumbarse old farts who think otherwise need to move on with technology and advancement or retire already. Most of them just get drunk and sit in a box and take target practice on a deer and they look down on others as non hunters. lets see one of those old farts go stalk a pig in the woods and come up face to face at 30 yards with a 30-06 bolt and see what happens if you get charged.

Lets have them tell that to some of the professional pig hunters on here. You cant join our lease because you have shot 5000 pigs with an AR. Those guys are pros with AR's so their AR theory that it is for jackoffs is for idiots.

My AR is my main pig hunting weapon. I dont want to stalk pigs at close quarters in the forest with my 30-06. Thats crazy and stupid!

I don't disagree with you on any of that at all. (Except maybe the pig "charging" part, but that's another topic.)

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Texas Dan] #6730280 04/09/17 11:11 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: jeffbird

Given the caliber is sufficient to deliver a reliable kill shot, then yes, the need to carry a gun capable of firing so many rounds might come into question.

Of course, the elephant in the room is why carry a "combat gun" to shoot deer? But then, maybe that's why words like " tactical" or "modern sporting rifle" are now preferred in some circles.

I don't see anything wrong with carrying a gun with 10 rounds, sometimes I use a 20 round when predator hunting, no reloads needed, 30 rounders start effecting carry weight.

As for "combat rifle" pretty much everything that goes into the woods goes back to what was at one time a "combat rifle" whether it be Mauser or Springfield or whatever, just from a different time frame. They are all some generation's "combat rifle". There have been tons and tons of deer killed with all kinds of surplus rifles over the years.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Bigfoot] #6730282 04/09/17 11:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

We used to stalk into herds of pigs and shoot them with bows.

They are pigs, not lions or leopards.

You don't need an AR to defend yourself against herds of pigs, your bolt action .30-06 is fine. Been doing drive hunts in Europe for decades not using AR's and they kill more boars than we do. Those are real boars too not the mutt hogs we shoot.

Pigs are not the blood thirsty animals people want to believe they are.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: txtrophy85] #6730285 04/09/17 11:13 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

We used to stalk into herds of pigs and shoot them with bows.

They are pigs, not lions or leopards.

You don't need an AR to defend yourself against herds of pigs, your bolt action .30-06 is fine. Been doing drive hunts in Europe for decades not using AR's and they kill more boars than we do. Those are real boars too not the mutt hogs we shoot.

Pigs are not the blood thirsty animals people want to believe they are.

+1

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Texas Dan] #6730302 04/09/17 11:39 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
The energy of a .243 bullet at 200 yards, a caliber that some might question as being sufficient for deer, is roughly the same as the muzzle energy of the best performing .223 bullet. That is to say that, if you could shoot a deer with a .223 that's less than a foot away, the energy produced by the speeding bullet would be roughly equal to a .243 bullet at 200 yards.

The truth is always in the math.

if the truth is always in the math, the 223/64gr PP has more KE at 200 yards than a 240gr 44Mag pistol bullet does at the muzzle. So can we conclude that the 44Mag at 1 foot away is less viable than the 223 at 200 yards?

Your math may be correct, but to directly correlate KE to on game performance is not valid.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide