Forums46
Topics538,387
Posts9,736,560
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6697115 03/06/17 07:09 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
to the OP, I hear that starting the first of next month a couple of guys from the bass section on tff will be guiding gerbil hunts, CHEAP!

might want to check in to that. grin

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6697130 03/06/17 07:24 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
sapper, we think alike.

to the OP, what you proposed is not only silly but not feasible.

I can tell you from experience as I live this daily, you will never eliminate feral hogs, like cockroaches they are here and they are not leaving.
the best anyone can expect to do is to control the hog pop. meaning that having hunters is a big help but not the end all cure all. believe it or not it creates a huge liability for the property owner, are you willing to let complete strangers with ars and aks roam your yard at night looking for squirrels? the landowner is ultimately responsible for what happens on his/her land when they allow anyone access for any reason, hence a cost for insurance to cover liability. answer this, why should a landowner not be compensated for that which his land provides, same as strawberries/peaches/watermelons etc. the hogs are a resource/commodity and believe it or not it is not the landowner the sets pricing, it is you the hunter, how much will you pay for what you want?

I don't know what you do for a job but how bout we add a 15% tax to it, you know, just in case someone gets hurt from something you did or failed to do. fair? that is what you propose to landowners, so good for the goose and all that stuff. ehhh?

short of it is: hog hunting is a free market system, some give it away and some charge for hunting, the cost to pay is driven by what the hunter will fork over to enjoy what they want to do. with our sue happy country I do not blame any landowner for charging what the market will bear to recoup some of the losses that are inevitable either way.

in closing, atwoods has a sale on red ryders goin on, perhaps a good starting point.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: SapperTitan] #6697488 03/07/17 12:49 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
By the way I am in no way for the state or government of any kind sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Why punish land owners who worked hard for what they have just bc you want it?

Does that include County telling land owners all they can shoot is buck only ? flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: 1860.colt] #6697508 03/07/17 01:03 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: colt.45
By the way I am in no way for the state or government of any kind sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Why punish land owners who worked hard for what they have just bc you want it?

Does that include County telling land owners all they can shoot is buck only ? flag
deer are owned by the state so no

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: SapperTitan] #6697545 03/07/17 01:40 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45

deer are owned by the state so no

cheers i got offtopic this is bout charging for hog hunts... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6698708 03/08/17 12:39 AM
B
Belgianhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Texas is definitely conflicted on this issue, not sure about other states. Hell, some guys catch, cut, and release. Bar hogs can have impressive cutters and garner big money for trophy hunters. This issue will play out in the next decade as population levels hit carrying capacity and damage becomes intolerable. Rather than fencing In the hogs, it will be ranchers and farmers will need to fence them OUT. Out West, it's a big no no to tell a man what he can or can't do on this property and this thread is evidence of that. Wild animals are just that exotic, invasive or not. It's a man's due diligence to protect his land from a known threat, not his neighbors' problem.

Bringing Meat from the Field to the Table
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Belgianhunter] #6698739 03/08/17 01:03 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Belgianhunter
Texas is definitely conflicted on this issue, not sure about other states. Hell, some guys catch, cut, and release. Bar hogs can have impressive cutters and garner big money for trophy hunters. This issue will play out in the next decade as population levels hit carrying capacity and damage becomes intolerable. Rather than fencing In the hogs, it will be ranchers and farmers will need to fence them OUT. Out West, it's a big no no to tell a man what he can or can't do on this property and this thread is evidence of that. Wild animals are just that exotic, invasive or not. It's a man's due diligence to protect his land from a known threat, not his neighbors' problem.

It's called "property rights" and "freedom"...... texas

Works every time its tried.... cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6700295 03/09/17 07:59 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: Belgianhunter

It's called "property rights" and "freedom"...... texas

Works every time its tried.... cheers

Yes it is SnakeWrangler. We should not be in a hurry to give away our rights. The Government will take what they can. As for the OP he thought we missed his point, but I think most on here got it right. As a land owner I am selective as to the people allowed on the property. That is my right and I WILL exercise it.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: pigplinker] #6700481 03/09/17 03:04 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
rofl Didn't see any thing bout hunters taking away landowners writes ... The thread i had bout landowners putting down hunters stepped on a few toes... It git taken down...
edit: confused2 why did they sailors thread get removed ? flag

Last edited by colt.45; 03/09/17 03:39 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6700518 03/09/17 03:29 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
All agree hogs are a problem, landowners especially then they charge a fee to have someone come in to kill a hog. That is their right without a doubt...it just does not sound right when considered.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Wilhunt] #6700529 03/09/17 03:36 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
All agree hogs are a problem, landowners especially then they charge a fee to have someone come in to kill a hog. That is their right without a doubt...it just does not sound right when considered.

Depends upon who you ask. I suspect the landowners think it sounds fine! roflmao

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6700952 03/09/17 10:00 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
"The bottom line here is that, feral hogs cause not millions, but billions of dollars of damage to Texas agriculture each year. People that want to harbor these animals on their land for personal profit, need to be held responsible in some way for contributing to this huge problem."

bs

I think landowners should have the right to charge what they want for hunting/access but I'm not buying hogs cause billions of dollars a year in damage in the state of Tx. Thats a "perceived" figure, not actual.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6701099 03/09/17 11:57 PM
T
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
It's just odd, to hear lots of talk about a hog "problem", but when offered help, all of a sudden these folks with a "problem" want money for it. If you have a problem, but you want me to pay you to help clean up that problem, I'm unconvinced that you actually have a problem. It sounds like you have a resource, or a commodity.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: TexOddball] #6701612 03/10/17 04:49 PM
H
Hard_ware Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: TexOddball
It's just odd, to hear lots of talk about a hog "problem", but when offered help, all of a sudden these folks with a "problem" want money for it. If you have a problem, but you want me to pay you to help clean up that problem, I'm unconvinced that you actually have a problem. It sounds like you have a resource, or a commodity.

+1

NRA life member
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6701745 03/10/17 07:22 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Speaking for myself, I prefer the problem I know verse the problem I don't know.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: BDB] #6701781 03/10/17 08:27 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: BDB
"The bottom line here is that, feral hogs cause not millions, but billions of dollars of damage to Texas agriculture each year. People that want to harbor these animals on their land for personal profit, need to be held responsible in some way for contributing to this huge problem."

bs

I think landowners should have the right to charge what they want for hunting/access but I'm not buying hogs cause billions of dollars a year in damage in the state of Tx. Thats a "perceived" figure, not actual.

Of the estimated 4 to 5 million feral hogs in the United States, approximately 2 million call Texas home. Feral hogs can be found in approximately 230 of our 254 counties and cause an estimated $52 million of damage to Texas agricultural enterprises each year.

http://wildlife.tamu.edu/wildlifemanagement/feral-hog/

Last edited by hopalong; 03/10/17 08:28 PM.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: hopalong] #6701788 03/10/17 08:43 PM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: hopalong
Originally Posted By: BDB

bs

Of the estimated 4 to 5 million feral hogs in the United States, approximately 2 million call Texas home. Feral hogs can be found in approximately 230 of our 254 counties and cause an estimated $52 million of damage to Texas agricultural enterprises each year.

http://wildlife.tamu.edu/wildlifemanagement/feral-hog/

I would guess landowners make more than 52 million a year in hog hunts. Maybe it offsets each other.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6701802 03/10/17 09:08 PM
B
BuffaloSpringsRD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
To the OP

Make sure you do post a picture of a hog that it is wide enough to kill.

For those that dont catch the reference

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6608862/Re:_Post_your_last_weekend_buc#Post6608862

Hes just a troll. No more, no less

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6701818 03/10/17 09:30 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I'm still a relative new guy on this forum, so keep some of my opinions to myself in deference to those of you with multi-thousands of posts, but jeez marie there are some HSOs that can fly around. aim

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6701928 03/10/17 11:39 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Supply and demand. If people weren't willing to pay to hunt them, there would be no market. The OP should blame the hunters not the landowners.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6701994 03/11/17 01:04 AM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

Easy solution.
1) Don't pay to hunt hogs and discourage others from paying.
2) Tell your government representatives not to give landowners any subsidies related to hog damage.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6702248 03/11/17 05:22 AM
R
R.spencer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
If the land owner wants to charge you to hunt, so be it. He pays taxes and insurance. It's his property and we should respect that. Yes, hogs may be a problem, but so are irresponsible hunters.

Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: R.spencer] #6702282 03/11/17 10:12 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: R.spencer
If the land owner wants to charge you to hunt, so be it. He pays taxes and insurance. It's his property and we should respect that. Yes, hogs may be a problem, but so are irresponsible hunters.

Not many seem to factor that one in.....also, its been my experience that things for "free" are treated completely differently than things you have to pay for....and they attract very different types of people....I'll just leave it at that.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: TexOddball] #6702357 03/11/17 02:06 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: TexOddball

I know you Aggies are pretty slow so let's make this simple.

Texas is not a welfare state. If you can't afford to hog hunt you have little to no experience doing so. Your not qualified to help with this problem. And neither are all you other jack wagons on this thread that want welfare hunts.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Thoughts on charging for hog hunting [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6702417 03/11/17 03:16 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
So free hunting of hogs would include giving strangers free run of 2 sections of brushy cattle country? When most successful hog hunters shoot hogs at night. Add to this as a rancher hogs really don't affect my business that badly. The holes they dig are impressive and they do eat some grass. They do also eat prickly pear and keep the rattler population down. However I am not over run with them yet. And I have friends that I know will respect my property, not leave gates open or dump trash, so the need to let any stranger out there is non existent. On the other hand, were I to set up feeders, keep corn in them, build shooting boxes, berms to stop bullits, and have to babysit them so they would only hunt where I want them to hunt I would expect to at least get my gas, time and corn money back so free is not in the cards.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide